PG Music Home
Posted By: RickeG A couple of BIAB songs - 02/10/12 10:57 PM
Hey gang,
I finally got around to uploading my music onto a shared site. Here's the link: http://soundcloud.com/rickeg/sets/the-anthology-in-progress

Since this contains a bunch of material from different ideas that evolved with the technology available to me at the time, there are some that were pre-BIAB.

Here are those that I used BIAB with:
Smile
Groovie Tubie
Tis So Sweet
A Hall of Oats (used Jamstix for the drums here)
Two Penny
The Berg
Tomorrow's the Day... Promise.

I hope you take the opportunity to listen and share some of your thoughts of how the music moves your mood right on the site.

P.S., Stinks having a day job! Not enough time to play with BIAB like I used to.

Thanks again!
RickeG
Posted By: Steve Young Re: A couple of BIAB songs - 02/11/12 09:58 PM
RickeG,

Nice sound here. Did you play any of the instruments? Sounds like they are pretty much all RealTracks on the songs you listed above (except the Jamstix). What did you use on the other songs. You did a nice job of arranging and mixing. Everything sounds good!

Steve
Posted By: RickeG Re: A couple of BIAB songs - 02/15/12 04:49 AM
Thanks Steve. Actually all the guitar parts were from me. I did some bass guitar as well. The other instruments were BIAB, some virtual instruments, and Jamstix for drums.

I really like BIAB's solo sax & trumpet instruments. What I am hoping for is for a future release where we can get a brass section, say for the punches.

Another software I used for the older tracks was JAMMER. Lately, with the use of Jamstix, and virtual instruments I am tweaking BIAB parts in the song to add another dimension to the arrangement. I really like music arrangement the best. One of the guys that has been an influence on me is Pat Williams. He has an incredible album out there called Threshold that really takes arrangement to another level. Anyway, TMI.

I am glad you took the time to listen and enjoyed them!

RickeG
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: A couple of BIAB songs - 02/18/12 04:36 PM
I can tell the guitars are you, it has a more real than real track feel. The guitar tones on a hall of Oats is just beautiful.

Now i have to go back and let them play later today when i have some more time.
Posted By: RickeG Re: A couple of BIAB songs - 03/10/12 05:19 AM
Thank you for listening Rob. I don't get to the board as much as I used to. I am glad you like the Hall of Oats song. It was a lot of fun to make. I was gong for that Blue eyed soul effect.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: A couple of BIAB songs - 03/12/12 05:39 PM
RickeG,
Wow, what a treasure trove! There wasn't a song I didn't like. How did you do the brass on "Tis' so Sweet"?
SD
Posted By: RickeG Re: A couple of BIAB songs - 03/14/12 02:34 AM
Spacedog,

Thanks for your kind words. I am glad you enjoyed the diversity.

The brass in Tis So Sweet comes from from talent of Real Tracks as does all the other horn parts. However, I do one thing that may be unique to the family here, I don't know. I put my "Arranger" hat on and let BIAB roll through several creative takes of solos. I capture those I like and keep them in separate files. I then add them to the Cakewalk file I am building. From there, I pick spots that I keep and delete the others.

Then, in the case of Tis So Sweet, I take the BIAB file for piano, bass, and drums and tweak the breaks or intro inside of Cakewalk so that it gives it that "Smokey street corner under the lamp" imagery of the trumpet solo. The scene as it plays in my head is the trumpeter is playing his horn just outside of a jazz club as he is warming up. The band steps in as he enters the club and begins to join them.

With instrumentals, you have to create the story without words. Only those who have heard me sing can really appreciate the fact that I am now only writing instrumentals! So, the story gets told through the mood and ambience of the music.

I have off this week and will be getting caught up listening to some of the songs here. I am readlly looking forward to hearing them!

Best Regards,
RickeG
Posted By: Tommyc Re: A couple of BIAB songs - 03/14/12 10:29 AM
Nice guitar picking RickeG on A Hall of Oats!
Posted By: Tim Lawrence Re: A couple of BIAB songs - 03/14/12 05:27 PM
Rick,

good all the way 'round.
Every one a keeper.

Tim
Posted By: vzudell Re: A couple of BIAB songs - 03/14/12 06:56 PM
Wow! What a nice collection of unique songs. The instruments amost seems to be speaking. I especially love the trumpet in "Tis So Sweet".
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: A couple of BIAB songs - 03/15/12 11:02 PM
hi rickyg nice playing good tune thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: Musica1 Re: A couple of BIAB songs - 06/16/12 10:57 PM
I have to say I'm new at BIAB. Excellent work and
quite varied in style.

I can't believe the breathiness in the sax at 0.22
in Smile. I'm a sax player so I know how one should
sound. The other solos parts great, too.

All around, great job!

Debb
Posted By: memphis rjames Re: A couple of BIAB songs - 06/25/12 11:33 AM
tis so sweet, well done

r james memphis USA
Posted By: dcuny Re: A couple of BIAB songs - 06/25/12 06:09 PM
Sounds nice!

Personally, I like when people post TMI about their arrangements!
© PG Music Forums