PG Music Home
Posted By: SpaceDog Finally online with "Just We Two" - 03/01/12 06:38 PM
Dear Showcase Folks,
Greetings! It's been quite I while since I've posted on this forum. You all are doing such great work. I'm humbled to join you.
Well, I'm finally online with Soundclick but it took me so long someone else took the name "SpaceDog" so I took "DC SpaceDog". I'll get to that story later.
I've posted five songs, all done with BB and RB. I'd be grateful for your feedback. Just so I don't get confused (happens a lot), I'd like to start a separate string on each song. It may take a while to implementing your suggestions. This is just a hobby for me and I don't have much time to work the projects. Last year, I was able to write five new songs and rewrite three old songs but there not all ready yet.
Anyway, the first song on the list is called "Just We Two." I think this link will take you there. If not, please go the artist page http://soundclick.com/dcspacedog.
I wrote this song back in 80's but updated it last year with help from my wife. The original version was a little too sad and longing for better days. This version is much more upbeat.
I know you all like the technical stuff but I don't have that at my disposal right now. I'll get it later for you. Generally, though I write the music at the piano, my wife and I draft the lyrics. Then I record a demo on my Zoom H4N recorder. Then I build the chart in BB and get a basic accompaniment. Once I get the tempo set, I record it onto the Zoom and sing the lead vocal and BVGs. Then I bring it into RB to finish it up. I also take the time to record a melody track into BB and do the notation which I then send to the Copyright Office.
As far as tracks go I have the two vocal tracks, RDs, and RTs for the bass, rhythm guitar(I'll get the RT numbers later). I play the keyboard tracks and use midi to modify some other to the BB tracks.
I'm running BIAB/RB 2011 and HP laptop and the only mic I use is a Shure SM58.

I hope you enjoy the song and have some friendly pointers for me. You folks are the experts: I'm just a SpaceDog watching TV. Thanks.
Posted By: Skyline Re: Finally online with "Just We Two" - 03/01/12 06:51 PM
You have an excellent voice SD, I'm envious!
The song is well constructed and arranged, and I liked the vocal harmonies in there.
The overall mix lacked sparkle to my ears; there needs to be some EQ and compression applied in the right places. The overall mix was also very quiet and needs compression and limiting to raise the levels and give things more punch. On my headphones I was having trouble differentiating between some of the instruments (acoustic guitar and strings on the left?) and some EQ could help here also. I think you could afford to slightly lower the lead vox in the mix and give it a tiny smidgeon of reverb.

This strikes me as a very powerful song that would benefit from some remixing and remastering to really bring it 'alive'.

John
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Finally online with "Just We Two" - 03/01/12 09:52 PM
Good to have you back! Excellent song and vocal thanks 4 sharing.

My Music
Posted By: seeker Re: Finally online with "Just We Two" - 03/02/12 03:01 AM
Wonderful song, enjoyed it very much.
Sounded like quite a journey for you and wife to get it here.

Very nice lyrical story you two have written.

Thanks for sharing, Ya its a bummer when the "Bread and Butter" part of life interferes
with some of the fun things.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Finally online with "Just We Two" - 03/02/12 03:37 AM
Here's the song info for "Just We Two"
****** Song Summary *************
Title: Just We Two
File:Just We Two-1.MGU
Key=A , Tempo 110, Length (m:s)=3:31
No intro. 95 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 95. Repeat x1 chorus
Melody has 270 notes, saved patch is Vibes (12)
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with bar changes for Tempo ,
Soloist is saved with the song : Pop 16ths. Crusaders (135)
Style is ELTONPNO.STY (EltonPno - Ev.8 Rock Piano Accom)
Style MIDI Instruments are : Bright Piano (2), Slow Strings (50),
RealTracks in song: ~684:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 694:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockArp Ev 120
MIDI Drums :33Jazz Drums (33)

RealDrums will be substituted :CountryEven8

Skyline John,
Thanks for your kind words and advice. You're right about my mixing skills. I'm trying to learn but it really doesn't come naturally. I'm going ask a technical question on the BB User forum about apply EQ and other effects to midi tracks. I can't seem to make that work.
Thanks again and glad you liked it.
SD
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Finally online with "Just We Two" - 03/02/12 03:40 AM
PGF,
It's good to be back. I hope I can keep in contact.
Thanks for your kind words. I've been admiring your work as well.
SD
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Finally online with "Just We Two" - 03/02/12 03:51 AM
FrankB,
Thanks. It's been a long and winding road (I love the Beatles) but a great ride.
My wife really helps add depth to the lyrics and she's a fine musician as well.
After I retired from the my first career and started my second career, I decided I wanted to do more with my music. BB was the key to my starting to write again after some 30 years.
Thanks for your kind words and I glad you enjoyed the song.
SD
Posted By: MarioD Re: Finally online with "Just We Two" - 03/03/12 01:48 AM
SpaceDog, this is one fantastic song. Great lyrics, super vocals and great backing tracks. Plus a very nice chord progression also!

I do have to agree with John’s suggestions. Remixing, remastering and a tad of effects would take this winner over the top IMHO.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Finally online with "Just We Two" - 03/03/12 02:19 AM
MarioD,
Thanks so much. Glad you liked it. I agree about the mixing etc. I have to work on those skills but I'm trying to learn. You know, Old dogs..new tricks.

SD
Posted By: Sundance Re: Finally online with "Just We Two" - 03/03/12 07:53 PM
I also agree with John, Spacedog. I think you are ready to start taking that one small step into the next level.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Finally online with "Just We Two" - 03/03/12 08:18 PM
SpaceDog,

Nice song! I also agree about the mixing. You do have a very nice voice, and a talent for writing and performing your songs. The suggested improvements in production will really make a difference. And you'll have a lot of fun, learning! Plus, you already have the tools with Band In A Box and RealBand. Keep up the good work!

Steve
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Finally online with "Just We Two" - 03/04/12 01:53 AM
Steve,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the song. Next week I'll be getting some pointers on mixing from some other friends. I understand the theory but I need to practice and develop an ear for it.
SD
© PG Music Forums