PG Music Home
Posted By: rharv Count Me Out - 09/22/12 12:46 PM
Settled on a name finally.
Some of you heard this in the Realband forum. Since it's done with all realtracks except Tommyc's guitar and the horns I added, it should fit right in here.

http://audiomastering-online.com/stuff/Count_Me_Out.mp3
From start to finish in Realband 'cause it can count to seven.
(even the elusive mp3 conversion at 192)
Posted By: DrDan Re: Count Me Out - 09/22/12 12:54 PM
Both odd and cool at the same time Nice work, tommyc and rharv
Posted By: MrEd Re: Count Me Out - 09/22/12 01:08 PM
I love this tune!

The horns fit very well and the guitar work is great. The guitar & horns playing the same riff at one point really added a lot to the tune.

Sounds great and very well produced.

Mike
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Count Me Out - 09/22/12 01:14 PM
Agree with the above. Cool stuff. Like the "snap" you got on the snare. And the punch on the horns. Tommyc? - if I didn't know any better, I would have guess you somehow got Jeff Beck to play on this....
Posted By: rharv Re: Count Me Out - 09/22/12 01:22 PM
Well thanks Mike!
Tommyc did a lot of work on this too.
Besides the guitar work he inverted some of my chords and re-rendered realtracks, which gave it a whole new life. Then he sent me about a dozen guitar tracks.
I just chopped up his guitar tracks and tried to make a song of it all. The horns were an afterthought, but I think they add quite nicely.

The whole thing started as a test of the new RB version still being able to handle odd times.
Posted By: rharv Re: Count Me Out - 09/22/12 02:10 PM
Most of the snap and punch came from Ozone.
Also worked nicely on the bass fingering.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Count Me Out - 09/22/12 04:30 PM
hi rharf cool tune great coloberation effort nice guitar chops thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Count Me Out - 09/22/12 07:50 PM
I like it rharv and TommyC, odd time indeed. BTW, what did you use for the horns, they sound great!
Thanks for posting this tune.
Posted By: rharv Re: Count Me Out - 09/22/12 09:38 PM
Horns came from Roland Juno-G synth. It has some pretty nice sounds (Fantom samples basically). I'd have to look at track to tell you which horn sample was used.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Count Me Out - 09/23/12 12:38 AM
Hi rharv,

This is really, really good music. You and Tommy have done an amazing job. The music shouted "professional" in every aspect.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Sundance Re: Count Me Out - 09/25/12 01:31 AM
Nice groove. Sounds really good. I also liked the guitar and horn on that riff together - unexpected and nice touch.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Count Me Out - 09/25/12 03:24 AM
It was 7/4's Rharv and 1/4 me (new math) but the real genius was RB. I was surprised RB could handle 7/4 time without a hitch, I tried several different styles and they all worked. Peter and the PG Gang of have really outdone themselves with Real Band, no other DAW could make music like this! Thanks Peter, I am Having FUN!
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Count Me Out - 10/01/12 02:56 AM
rharv & Tommy,

Outstanding! Tommy you did a great job on the guitar (as always). And the horns really shine in this one. I have always really enjoyed odd time signatures, and this is certainly a great pleasure to listen to!

Steve
Posted By: Skyline Re: Count Me Out - 10/01/12 10:54 AM
First class you two! Chacun à son goût and this is my goût!
Nice guitar work Tommy, angular melodies and a clear, punchy prodduction all round. What's not to like.
Off to play it again...thanks!

John
Posted By: boehm Re: Count Me Out - 10/01/12 01:57 PM
Great song.
"The horns were an afterthought, but I think they add quite nicely."
I think the horns are essential. I love the part, where they play parallel with the guitar. And they sound good.

Guenter
Posted By: rharv Re: Count Me Out - 10/05/12 11:52 PM
I said it was an 'afterthought' only because I actually added it very late in the project. I was probably looking for it the whole time. <grin>

The unison line with guitar and horn is one of those things I gravitate towards when working on a tune.
Find a 'feature' lick that shows up unexpectedly at first, but grabs attention. Then work with it.
Tommyc gave me a ton of content to work with. It just took me a while to sort though it all. Thanks for the comments
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Count Me Out - 10/07/12 10:57 PM
Most of the melody was Rharv ideas he sent me, cause I was just jamming some lead guitar on it. He thought we should have one, it never crossed my 2 brain cells though. Everybody should try some different time signatures in RB, just to see what it will do! I was Amazed how it handled 7/4!
Posted By: BruceI Re: Count Me Out - 10/08/12 02:53 AM
Wow, great track. I agree with comments about the guitar and how the horns work. I also like odd time signatures but have never been able to write anything that really worked in other than 4/4 or 3/4 (maybe a couple in 6/8). A few parts reminded me of Steely Dan.

Thanks,
Bruce
Posted By: rharv Re: Count Me Out - 10/11/12 10:33 PM
It is in 4/4 and 3/4 <grin>
Doesn't 4/4 + 3/4 = 7/4?

Just kiddin'
That's how we used to do it in the old days.

This was in actual 7/4, Tommyc can vouch as he generated some of the tracks. Since the seq file is 7/4, it means no notation.
The Chord window was pretty weird at times too. But servicable.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Count Me Out - 10/11/12 10:50 PM
Quote:

It is in 4/4 and 3/4.
Doesn't 4/4 + 3/4 = 7/4?

Well, if you take it one more step, it REALLY equals 1 3/4, but.....
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Count Me Out - 10/15/12 03:41 AM
Ha, Eddie that would have been a Great Name for the song! I couldn't look at the Chord Window while playing Guitar, it messed me up. Still amazes me how RB can turn a 4/4 style into 7/4, must be that new math or PG Wizardry! The World may never know!
Posted By: rharv Re: Count Me Out - 07/24/16 06:33 PM
Updated link
http://masteringmatters.com/stuff/Count_Me_Out.mp3
old one died ..
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Count Me Out - 07/26/16 12:05 PM
holy cow!... this is AWESOME!!

Three things I love to hear together are horns, blazing guitar and funky bass... and this song has 'em all!

I especially liked the way the horns and guitar mirror one another.. that's something you rarely hear on the forum. To my musical sensibilities, the real tracks shine brightest when they are used in conjunction with a performer who can interact with the generated content. I'm curious to know which came first: the horns or the guitar part? (in other words, which one of you echoed the other?)

Deep bow to the two maestros of this collaboration, Tommyc and Rharv

ya got my attention. ;-) (Very impressed.)
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Count Me Out - 07/26/16 12:56 PM
Outstanding playing!!!

J&B
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Count Me Out - 07/29/16 05:17 AM
Knock-out!

Wow, this really delivers. The bass cuts through perfectly, the guitar and horns drive so extremely well.

Great, great and great.
Posted By: rharv Re: Count Me Out - 10/22/16 12:46 PM
Thanks Pat (and Bud and VT)

I honestly don't remember who initially came up with the line first, guitar or horn. I think the main line was part of my initial creation but could be wrong.
I *think* I added all the horn parts at the end though.

This was mostly an experiment in what RB could do with odd times. Tommy and I went back and forth a lot with this, sending SEQ files back and forth with chord changes, newly regenerated parts, etc. He was fun to work with because he didn't just try to fit in to what I had, he came up with new ideas (can we change this chord to such and such, etc).. I'm always open to ideas!

It was a whole lot of fun.
I've taken a break from collabs over the summer but getting ready to dive back in.
I forgot I updated this link so I apologize for not responding sooner
Posted By: Pauline - PG Music Re: Count Me Out - 10/22/16 02:37 PM
Hello, thanks for the updated link! This tune is fantastic! Love the pulse and movement. Has a Weather Report kinda feel. Thanks for the share.

Pauline
PG Music Team
Posted By: receder Re: Count Me Out - 10/22/16 03:52 PM
Wow! Top class track all the way!

Yes, very Weather report. Jaco bass, great guitar and horns.

Well done rharv and tommyc!
Rec
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Count Me Out - 10/22/16 06:49 PM
Hi Rharv, Love the lead guitar tone on this! Very howling. Well done! smile
Posted By: rharv Re: Count Me Out - 10/22/16 07:57 PM
Funny, I never thought of it as a Weather Report type tune, though I like them a lot and have most everything they did.
Anything related to guitar was Tommyc on this one.
/Well actually I shouldn't say that; the rhythm guitar was generated (RT1436 JazzFunkGroovinMute Ev 16 110)

Like I said, it was fun. A lot of fun
I'll share the raw RB seq file if interested. It's pretty cool to see how the generated tracks work.
© PG Music Forums