PG Music Home
Posted By: eddie1261 Interesting scenario - 12/12/12 01:18 AM
The forum rules state that we can't post links to previously recorded copyrighted material. However, does that include remakes of songs written by people here, on the condition that permission was given?

That situation is about about to happen and I want to make sure that this doesn't violate the rules.

Thoughts?
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Interesting scenario - 12/12/12 01:56 AM
If someone is going to do a "cover" of one of your songs and you give permission, then no copyright laws have been broken. You are in charge of the "right to copy" for your songs.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Interesting scenario - 12/12/12 02:03 AM
I think the spirit of the law is that PGMusic doesn't want to host anything that even remotely looks like they endorse or encourage copyright infringement.

Posting a well known (C) song, even if you paid a fee to remake it on your CD, would probably be frowned upon, because nobody knows you paid for the rights, and others would jump on the bandwagon and start posting (C) songs too.

But if you're asking whether it would be problematic to post a remake of a song that has never been heard outside this forum, and you have permission from the original song writer...

... I'd start by getting that person to post their permission and approval in the same thread where you post the song.

I can't speak for PGMusic, but due to the extremely low likelihood of legal repercussions, I'd guess you won't get any flack.

-----------------------------
STANDARD DISCLAIMER :
if this goes wrong wrong all wrong, it was EDDIE'S idea, not mine! Under the bus he goes, faster than an ex-wife can take half your stuff!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Interesting scenario - 12/12/12 02:35 AM
Quote:

if this goes wrong wrong all wrong, it was EDDIE'S idea, not mine! Under the bus he goes, faster than an ex-wife can take half your stuff!

In the future, please refrain from using "Eddie", "ex-wife", "half your stuff" and "under the bus" that close together in a paragraph.

Been there, been there, been there - done that, done that, and done that. And THEY got the t-shirt.

I gotta say though, they all have nice homes..... (and how'd you get away with losing only half???)

0___________________/_ 10
Too Close To Home-O-Meter

But on to the topic....

The particulars... it's my song, which I previously posted about a year ago with a link to Soundcloud (it is sitting on 155 plays), and it was redone by Rog and one of his young students. They took the song and remained very faithful to the original yet took it in another direction, and did a very good job on it. They had my blessing from day one so there are no copyright issues. It is copyrighted, by me, and he asked if they could redo it and if they could post it on Soundcloud, and of course I agreed.

Rog is a VERY fine musician and producer, and his students are quite talented. It's just great to see someone in our age range so involved with nurturing young talent. His producer ears hear places to put parts that my brute force in your face ears don't. I have always been in bands that played so loud that we blew your clothes back against your body and never learned finesse until recently. Though I still use a 16 pound sledge to kill an ant....
Posted By: Sundance Re: Interesting scenario - 12/12/12 03:19 AM
My opinion is if ROG is using BIAB/RB to remake your song and has your permission it's fine. Otherwise, I'd think it goes in the OT forum.

For sure this discussion should have gone there.

Quote:

- Please limit the threads on this forum to the User Showcase postings. Off-topic threads will be moved to the off-topic forum

Above quote from Users Showcase Info and FAQ.
Posted By: ROG Re: Interesting scenario - 12/12/12 01:56 PM
Eddie -

It doesn't look like there's a problem here, but to be on the safe side, why don't you post it and just link to the track on our Soundcloud page. You know both me and Jess and how it's all put together and you own the copyright.

How easy is that?

ROG.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Interesting scenario - 12/13/12 09:10 AM
Quote:

Been there, been there, been there - done that, done that, and done that. And THEY got the t-shirt.

Now, if you change that to:

Been there, done that, and she got the t-shirt.

You've got a nice inner rhyme, and a twist on an overused phrase.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the song!
© PG Music Forums