PG Music Home
Posted By: Noel96 A co-write with Floyd: "What A Crazy Thing" - 12/22/12 09:42 PM
Hi,

Floyd and I have just finished putting together a song and we thought you might like to have a listen. The below link is to streaming audio. Because of this, it will take around 10 seconds to kick in.

... link to "What A Crazy Thing" (streaming)

If the above link doesn't work, Floyd has the song on his site at ...

... link to "What A Crazy Thing" (at Floyd's)

The song began in BIAB, had a couple of tracks added in RB and was mixed in Reaper. All instruments are Realtracks. Vocals and harmonies are all Floyd.

Hope you enjoy it.

Best wishes,
Noel

BIAB Instruments
RT #1012 Bass, Electric, BluesRock Sw 140
RT #965 Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryBoogieGrittyA-B Sw 140
RT #961 Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryBoogieOpen Sw 140
RT #1279 Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBoogieBrent Sw 140
RT #1115 Fiddle, Background CountrySwingChops Sw 140
RT #1146 Fiddle, Background CountrySwing Sw 110 (Outside)
RT #1143 Ukulele, Strumming FolkSwing Sw 140
RealDrums: BluesShuffleHard^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Ride
How could this not be a very good song being written
and performed by two outstanding musicians.
I enjoyed it.

Merry Christmas

Guenter
This is the kind of song people will put their drink down to dance to. Very masterful job and collaboration. It's just damn good, what more is there to say?
<standing ovation!>

very commercial, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that some big-name in Nashville was doing this song.
Great collaboration! You play to both of your strengths

Like Lennon, McCartney
Rodgers and Hammerstein,
Noel and Floyd sound...
Mighty fine!
What a crazy thing Song writing is!

Posted By: ROG Re: A co-write with Floyd: "What A Crazy Thing" - 12/22/12 11:57 PM
Hey Guys, what a nice bit of Rock and Roll!

Very smooth and professional and sounded wonderful on the big Tannoys.

Listening on headphones there seemed to be some auto-panning going on, which made my head spin a little bit, but that's just me being really picky!

Great track.

ROG.
Fantastic it is.
Great lyrics, great vocals with the extras added.

Above folks are right, great dance music.

Thanks for sharing the hard work between the two of you.

Just imagine 30 years ago 2 people collaborating being 15-16,000 miles
apart.
Excellent -- just ease of that wild guitar panning (headphone here, too). This is a super fun song. Did I say excellent -- oh I did, so I'll just say it again!
Fun! Well done guys.
Hi,

Guenter
Thank you for dropping in and donating some time to have a listen. Much appreciated. Merry Christmas to you and your family, too. Noel

Pariahdise
Thanks for taking the time and for making such positive comments. You've given me a grin that's probably gonna last to Boxing Day! All the best for Christmas and 2013 Noel

Pat
Lennon and McCartney, Rodgers and Hammerstein!!!! LOL! Floyd sure has enough talent to share the limelight with those great names. As for me, well ... (I won't say anything more because I don't want to spoil the illusion.) thanks for once again having a listen to a song I've helped write and for making such generous, uplifting comments. Sending every good thought your way for Christmas. May peace and joy surround you. Noel

ROG
You're a bit of an expert when it comes to getting the very best out of BIAB/RB. I think that's why I felt a bit flattered to read "very smooth and professional"! Thank you. I agree that the automatic panning doesn't work as well on headphones as it does on external speakers. I like how it helps give the mix a bit more energy when the "B" style guitar joins in; especially in the repeat of the Bridge and the final A section. Hope you and yours have a great Christmas. Noel

Frank
I bet you're only saying that because I helped you out with a mischievous piano track Thank you for giving up some time to pop in and have a listen. Appreciated. It's amazing how easy the internet makes collaborating! Distance is no obstacle at all. Sending my best wishes to you and the Seeker family for Christmas. Noel

Kevin
My long-term aim is to get my mixes to sound as amazing as yours. I still remember just how blown away I was when I listened to that last song you posted. It was incredible. Thanks for the positive comments regarding "Crazy Thing"! May Christmas be wonderful for you and your family. Noel

Josie
Thank you I'm sending lots of "best wishes for a magnificent Christmas and a wonderful 2013" your way. Noel

nice. Well done!
Hi Joanne,

Thank you to listening and posting a comment.

Merry Christmas!
Noel
I'd like to add my thanks to everyone for taking the time to listen and comment. Noel has covered that well (with color and pictures!).

I've done a lot of co-writing but this is the first time with someone on the other side of the world. It was a hoot. Just one more wondeful thing about this forum/community.

What Pat said (Great collaboration! You play to both of your strengths) was right. It's a great mix of ideas giving us (Noel and I) things that we would not necessarily have gotten "on our own". (And Pat, I love the new verse!!). One of the great advantages of co-writing.

It was also nice to have Noel "do all the work" - the tracks and the mixing (I assumed he would sing it, too, but then asked if I would....). It's been a great back-and-forth.

And Merry Christmas to everyone!

floyd
Very professional, nice one, I was waiting for Jerry Lee Lewis to join in on piano. Well done, that's what collab is all about.
Merry Christmas
You can't go wrong hooking up with Floyd on a country song, that's for sure. And this proves it. Great work to both of you. Very pro quality sound, writing, vocals. Nice.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for dropping in. Glad you liked it. I thoroughly enjoyed working with Floyd.

Merry Christmas,
Noel
Hi jpt,
Quote:

You can't go wrong hooking up with Floyd on a country song, that's for sure. And this proves it.

Yep! I totally agree. Thank you for positive feedback. BIAB/RB make it very easy to get a pro sound. Peter Gannon's software is brilliant and every time I use it, I'm amazed at how easy it is to get outstanding results.

Have a happy Christmas,
Noel
hi guys this is awesome great mix vocal arrangement well done thanks for sharing eric
It’s all been said; great mix, super vocals and lyrics, fantastic lead guitar.

This is a keeper!

Two thumbs up.
Hi Eric,

I'm glad the arrangement and mix worked for you. It's always good to read that we got things going right!

Have a great Christmas,
Noel
Hi Mario,

Thank you for those two thumbs up! Much appreciated.

Hope you, Mrs MarioD and all your family have a wonderful Christmas,
Noel
Chris, jpt, eric, Mario - thanks for droppin' by for a listen - and Merry Christmas to you all...
Noel and Floyd,

It's all been said! Outstanding job from two class acts! I really enjoyed listening to this one.

All the best,

Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

All the best,
Noel
Very well done guys. Had my feet tapping all the way
That's exceedingly well put together guys. Excellent work!

John
Hi Graham,

Thanks. I don't know about you but I find that the old, classic 12-bar-blues styled rock 'n' roll really seems to enliven the brain somehow. Elvis sure knew how to make it work for him!

I've got to say that I really enjoy listening to your accordion work. I've been following it for years in the Off Topic forum. It's not a sound one hears too often these days and I always find it refreshing to sit back and listen to your playing. The slideshows you create are excellent. Scotland's scenery is stunning.

Best wishes for 2013,
Noel
Hey John,

Thanks for the post. You made me smile.

Believe it or not, you've been a great inspiration for me in the song I'm presently working on. With the latest MIDI developments in BIAB, I thought I'd create a work that was more MIDI-based than Realtrack-based. What started me on this track was the thought "Skyline can get such great sounds from MIDI. I really should play around with this new stuff." (My sound is nowhere yet near the calibre of yours though. I've got quite a bit of work to do to catch up.)

Hope 2013 is brilliant for you and your family!
Noel
Outstanding production, lyrics, mix, vocal, you guys did a wonderful job on this one. To bad Brooks and Dunn split, you could have pitched this one to them.

My Tunes
Fabulous stuff, mates! I heard the 50's groove too. Agreed, B&D would love to have this one.
Noel / Floyd,

Great job all around. Love the feel of this.

Bob
Posted By: Mac Re: A co-write with Floyd: "What A Crazy Thing" - 12/31/12 12:22 AM
I love it also.

As for the guit panning, you might still accomplish what you want there and also make it more headphone compat by backing off the Pans a wee bit.

Strong Performance.

--Mac
Wow! Not much more can be said.
I stopped by after seeing the link in another post and really glad I did.

Apt lyrics cos it doesn't get any better than this ...

Nice one.

Regards.
Mike.
Cool. Can't wait for my wife to hear it. The Bogey and Bacall line alone will be worth it for her!
Hi Robert,

Good to see you. Thank you for listening and commenting. You're the most prolific singer-songwriter on this site. If I could write a third as many as you do, I'd be very happy!

May 2013 be a great year for you,
Noel
Hi Don,

Appreciate your thoughts Thanks for dropping in and giving our song a listen to.

Hope 2013 is brilliant for you and your family.
Noel
Hey Rob,

Thanks for popping in giving Floyd's a my song a run through. Appreciate it.

All the best for 2013,
Noel
Hi Mac,

That's a good idea with the panning. It never ceases to amaze me at just how good I am at overlooking the obvious! I did not even try reducing the panning. I'm going to give a run through and see how it sounds and then run the A/B routine.

Thanks for the thought. Also, thanks for the thumbs up.

Hope 2013 will be fantastic for you and your family.
Noel
Hi Gravel,

Thank you!!! Well, I have to say that "Wow" gave me a huge smile and did its job (if that's what you intended, at least).

I'm looking forward to hearing some of your work once you get BIAB up and running.

All the best,
Noel
Hi Mike,

Glad to read that you liked the song. Thanks for dropping by!

All the best,
Noel
Hi Bud,

Thanks!!! The "Bogey and Bacall" line was all Floyd's creation. He's got a talent for words!

Happy New Year to you and Janice!
Noel
Loved this one guys. Talk about a long distance collaboration! More, please?

Regards,

Bob
Hey this is great....truely radio ready! Foot tappin fun! You guys need to do more of this!
Hey Bob,

Appreciate your visiting the thread. It's great how the internet can make a few tens of thousands of miles seem like nothing. I can't even begin to imagine how people on geographically opposite sides of the Earth could collaborate before the internet!

Glad you liked the song!
Noel
Hi Mountainside,

Thank you. It was a fun song to co-write. Somehow it fell into place with the minimum amount of effort and emails between Floyd and me!

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: WSE1 Re: A co-write with Floyd: "What A Crazy Thing" - 01/09/13 04:01 PM
Great song, great arrangement, great mix, great vocals..."it don't get any better then this"

Great job guys!
Floyd and Noel,

This is one FINE song! Both the music and lyrics are a perfect fit and performed to perfection!
I really enjoyed this. The clarity of the vocals was outstanding too.

Val
Guess, I need to make an attempt to jump in here more often to listen. (Dealing with some health problems, heart and thyroid - not to make excuses!)

This is a really happy song, makes me smile !!! The arrangement is just awesome! Love the vocals very much. And why is this thing not mainstream yet???

Watch out Nashville!!! You got competition!!

Well done, guys!!!

Cheers,
Mike
Hi WSE1,

Thanks for the smile you've just give me! I'd imagine Floyd read your comments and smiled too

All the best,
Noel
Hi Val,

Thank you for the thumbs up on this one Floyd and I enjoyed puttin it together. I've to say that I'm looking forward to hearing your next song now. After "Country Morning Sunshine", I find myself wondering what the follow-up will be!

All the best,
Noel
Hi Mike,

Thanks for passing through the thread. The vocals are all Floyd's work. He's one very talented guy! Regarding the arrangement, I have to also mention that Band In A Box is one very talented software program I often find myself wondering, "What kind of songs could I write if I didn't have BIAB?" It's an amazing program.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. I trust that 2013 will be a good year for getting on top your health issues. My thoughts are with you.
Thanks so much for your encouraging words, Noel. Means a lot!!!

Keep making those great tunes!

Cheers,
Mike
Congrats! What a fun song. Great feel and flow and done very well as always. Had my feet tappin'!
Marty
Hi Marty,

Thank you. I think your tapping foot was probably due to PG Music's awesome Realtrack technology! I've got to say I'm very spoilt when it comes to getting great backings!

All the best,
Noel
lOVED IT.SEND IT TO NASHVILLE it deserves to be covered even though you do a great job.I can hear Vince Gill on this track Thanks for the listen Frank
Hi Frankie,

It's good to see you back in the forums I'm glad you liked the song. While I appreciate the insights that criticisms give, I have to say that I also appreciate the smile that reading positive comments bring. Thanks for that!

Hope all is going well for you!
Noel
Hrm... Somehow I missed commenting on this (well, this version of the song, anyway).

I agree with all the positive things said, so nothing to add there.
Hi David,

Thanks for having a listen. I appreciate the positive feedback.

All the best,
Noel
© PG Music Forums