PG Music Home
Posted By: Don Gaynor New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/26/13 03:03 PM
A Western Swing tune. Just for fun. My first effort in the Western Swing genre.

RTs throughout.

Click on my SoundClick link below and it will be the top tune on the playlist.

Enjoy.

Comments and constructive criticism are more than welcome.

(There a story behind the title).
Posted By: boehm Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/26/13 03:12 PM
Good use of BIAB.
I'd be interested in the story behind the title.

Guenter
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/26/13 03:41 PM
Guenter, there was a very popular stuffed toy a few years ago named Tickle Me Elmo based upon the Sesame Street character. When tickled, it had a very infectious laugh. Recently, a new patient came to live in my nursing home named Alma, which is not a very common name in the States, so it reminded me of Elmo and I did this tune in her honor. Alma is the mother of my Head Nurse, Amy, so we all had a good laugh over it.
Posted By: austin51 Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/26/13 04:06 PM

Fun tune Don. Thanks for sharing the story behind it.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/26/13 05:47 PM
Hi Donald
This is fun and I also like the story behind it. I
Best regards
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/26/13 06:45 PM
Nice flow, and the instrument change ups are very cool.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/26/13 06:51 PM
Sounds pretty good to me! I just did my first western swing tune for FAWM -- yours is more inventive and has more stuff going on. Very cool with all the instruments jumping in and out. I hope Alma enjoyed her welcome song!
Posted By: Danny C. Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/26/13 07:26 PM
Loved the tune, very peppy as the old folks used to say.

Regarding "Alma", pretty popular name in South Louisiana and Mississippi. In fact there was a little restaurant off of I-55 around Amite La. called Alma's Kitchen . . . I think the best home cooking (at a restaurant anyway) in the world. Now you got me craving Miss Alma's fried chicken!

Later,
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/26/13 08:59 PM
Danny, Alma was born in Oklahoma and the name is more popular down here. However, my being a former Minnesotan transplanted to Washington State, I don't recall ever hearing it before.

I agree on Southern cookin', it's delicious! Here it's called Southwest cuisine and it's more like Tex-Mex only a bit milder. It won't double as paint remover.
Posted By: ROG Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/26/13 11:58 PM
Great tune, Don.

Loved the way the lead instrument swapped round. Very clever and very realistic.

Feet are still tapping.

ROG.
Posted By: Brallan Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/27/13 01:30 AM
Great swing tune, Don! Makes me want to dance as well, but you had me on the title alone.
Posted By: rsdean Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/27/13 01:52 AM
Don,

Nice one. I enjoyed it.

Bob
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/27/13 06:20 AM
Don I am busy with a Western swing song and I love the way your instruments weave in and out. I would be interested to know what real tracks and midi was used to make this tune
Posted By: 90 dB Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/27/13 11:42 AM
A real toe-tapper Don. Enjoyed it.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/27/13 01:11 PM
Don,

I had listened to Tickle Me Alma before without time to comment. Went to listen today to "refresh my memory", but it wouldn't come up (just sits and spins). Probably some kind of maintenance going on...

So I went to your other link and took a listen. COOL stuff!!! Stayed there and listened to it all!!! And enjoyed each of them... so thanks for that link!!!!

floyd
Posted By: gibson Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/27/13 01:32 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Alyn
Posted By: sixchannel Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/27/13 03:24 PM
Hello Don
A nice bouncy Foot-tapper. I love the changes of Lead Instro - get dizzy trying to follow it all. LOL!!
I rather expected a lugubrious George Melee voice to come in with some slightly "naughty" words. But - maybe for next time? LOL!!
cheers
ian
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/27/13 05:30 PM
@Rob, thanks for listening and the encouraging comment, my Brother.

@Kevin, this was my first attempt in the genre. It was great fun and I plan to do more Western Swing in the near future. Don’t touch that dial!

@Danny, thanks for the listen and your comment.

@ROG, thanks for listening. I especially value you professional input.

@Brad, sorry about the title confusion. I’ll probably add an “aka” as a subtitle. Maybe “Trading 8s” would be more descriptive and appropriate.

@Bob (rsdean), I always appreciate your input. Thanks for listening.

@Jo, I merely entered the chord progression and the “Trading 8s” was accomplished by choosing “Medley” the Soloist dropdown. It auto-magically added the various lead instruments and swaps them every 8 bars. Your comments are especially encouraging. Thank you.

@Bob (90 dB), thanks for your kind comments. If I succeeded in getting your toes tapping then QED. Mission accomplished.

@Floyd, thanks for listening. I assume that you are referring to my motorgator site. That was pre-stroke before I became mute. I have seriously considered taking those songs down. The overall quality leaves much to be desired.

@Alyn, thanks for listening and commenting, Amigo. It was a lot of fun. BIAB is a pure joy to work with.

@Ian, thanks for listening and especially for encouraging me from your side of the Atlantic.

A very special thank you to Dr. Peter and Oliver Gannon and PG Crew who have made it all possible. As Peter says so aptly (albeit in the Canadian tongue): "Have fun, eh?"
Posted By: Brallan Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/28/13 01:01 AM
Hey Don... I wasn't complaining about the title. I was praising you for the title... When I say, "You had me at the title," that meant I was hooked. This is a modern cliche, best known in romantic comedies as "You had me at 'hello'".

Anyway, here is an MP3 of Elmo, if you ever want to remix and include him in your song:

Click me: Tickle Me Elmo
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/28/13 02:46 AM
Brad, I shoulda know'd.

I would love to add Elmo to the mix but I get an error message when clicking the link. Bummer! Great idea, Amigo.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/28/13 02:51 AM
Would it be possible for you to email the mp3 to me, Brad? Is it PD? Such an excellent idea.
Posted By: Brallan Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/28/13 03:34 AM

Try this one, Don.... I am still learning DropBox.

Tickle Me Elmo
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/28/13 04:17 AM
Well it tickled me to hear it Don. It has a great feel good vibe.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Tune: Tickle Me Alma - 02/28/13 07:18 AM
Hey Don,

Both my feet agreed, this one's a real toe-tapper! Musicianship shines throughout the production. You've skilfully captured a great sense of fun and presented it with musical flair. Nice one!

All the best,
Noel
© PG Music Forums