PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Sure Enough - 02/27/13 04:03 PM
Ever have one of those times that you were sure of what the outcome would be... and then that didn't quite pan out? That's what this song is about.

Sure Enough

Kept this one fairly simple. Here are the tracks:

RealTracks in style: ~519:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 665:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm SouthernRock Ev 085 (B:Strum)
RealTracks in song: 663:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm SouthernRock Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1264:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopShiningA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~621:Pedal Steel, Background Easy Ev 136
RealTracks in song: 1169:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockMediumBrent Ev 120
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

I just added vocals and harmonies.

Comments of any kind...welcomed.

floyd
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Sure Enough - 02/27/13 04:11 PM
There I was hanging around the Showcase and you just popped up.
I love the way your songs always tell a good story - even a Goodbye one. You can't win 'em all.
Excellent smooth Mix as always and great choice of instruments. That guy Brent gets in on the Act too with a neat solo that fits just right.
Good Stuff!
cheers
ian
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Sure Enough - 02/27/13 04:52 PM
Another FJ classic-to-be. I love the line:

"goodbye was the last thing i thought she'd say
and sure enough it was"

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Sure Enough - 02/27/13 06:03 PM
Good story and song construction. You have a good way of adding little things here and there to keep it fresh and interesting. Good writing, too.

I wasn't quite sure on the mix on the electric solo -- maybe too much reverb sent it too far back (??). The ending sounded good, though, I'll listen again. Back: I'd move the solo towards the center at solo time and reduce the reverb.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Sure Enough - 02/27/13 06:39 PM
Floyd, that's sho'nuf in keeping with your hit-making talent. I appreciate the fact that your diction is crystal clear and these tired old Oyrish ears could understand every word. If you keep this up, I'll be saying: "Oh yeah, I knew Floyd Jane before he made it to America's Got Talent.

Excellent work, again.
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: Sure Enough - 02/27/13 09:15 PM
Hey Floyd,

Another fine job! Your just an excellent songwriter... prettyty fine mix as well.
I'd bump the guitar solo a bit (I like it panned a little to the L). Not sure about the reverb comment as I'm not really hearing much reverb on the Brent solo myself.

Good work,

Greg
Posted By: austin51 Re: Sure Enough - 02/28/13 02:04 AM
I like the song a lot. It has great energy and as usual it's a quality FJ production, lyrics and music.

If I may pick a nit here, the "because" at the end of the sixth line in your first verse does not come off as smooth as in the line in the second verse "i guess i could because".
I would be inclined to drop the "i guess" and sing "i'm both this time because" to make the line cleaner.

I'm curious about your second verse. It is somewhat different from your first. You changed the rhythm of the lines from the first verse. Did you opt to do that rather than have a bridge?
Posted By: Sundance Re: Sure Enough - 02/28/13 04:30 AM
Clever turn of phrase Floyd. I like it. Mix sounds good here.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Sure Enough - 02/28/13 09:40 AM
Hi Floyd,

Sure enough, this worked for me But then again, absolutely every song you write, sing and produce works for me. Your talent shines. Like all your songs I've listened to, this has "professional" stamped all over it. I was really taken by the lyrics. They're great and sit very comfortably with the music. I also really liked the attention you gave the bass; in particular that ascending bass-line you had happening at times. There's nothing I'd change with this one. It all worked for me on my speakers.

I don't know how you do it but you continue to raise the bar with each song you present!

Ok, it's back for another listen now.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: pariahdise Re: Sure Enough - 02/28/13 02:28 PM
You do have an admirable storytelling kind of knack to your work, floyd, as has been said, and a pretty good song here. I like it, but there is something stopping me from really liking it, maybe switching the steel guitar for a piano (or livelier, busier piano), as I find it a bit of a distraction in this one. Just a thought, as with most here, I agree, it's a well-written song.
Posted By: boehm Re: Sure Enough - 02/28/13 03:17 PM
Don't change anything! It's flawless.
I like it all: lyrics, vocals, harmonies, tracks, mix.
It was a pleasure to listen.

Guenter
Posted By: dcuny Re: Sure Enough - 02/28/13 11:42 PM
Another classic country tune that delivers!

The only thing I'll note is that in my headphones (never an ideal listening environment) the drums seemed to overpower the vocals. I see that no one else agrees, so it's probably my cheap headphones.

It's always a pleasure to listen to your songs.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Sure Enough - 03/01/13 01:57 AM
All I'll add to what's already been said, to which I whole heartly agree, is that I also liked the changes.

Later,
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Sure Enough - 03/01/13 02:17 AM
Sure enough "sure enough" is a great hook. I like the way you used it in the different contexts. Mix sounds great via my studio monitors. Only headphone listening I do (other than recording tracks) is with earbuds when hiking and cycling and I'll listen to it with them tomorrow. Sheesh, man, you crank out fine 3-4 tunes while during the time I struggle with one.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Sure Enough - 03/02/13 12:35 AM
Ian - always appreciate you dropping by - Brent's good, eh?

Bob - thanks. I've already said... you are "the man".

Don - glad that I could bring a bit of sunshine into your day. (leave that "old stuff" there. It's you. Regardless. It is cool stuff).
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Sure Enough - 03/02/13 12:43 AM
Josie - appreciate the listen.

Kevin - thanks for the input. I removed the reverb and moved the solo from 35L to 15L. I'm liking what you are doing...

Greg - I did bump it up some based on your suggestion. Thanks for that.

David - you may be right - when I listened with headphones, the drums did seem a bit much. I always appreciate your listen - you think about things in a diiferent way... a good way...

RG - this time, I'm gonna leave the steel...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Sure Enough - 03/02/13 12:48 AM
Bud - thanks for the nice comments...

Danny - thank you. You are doing some very nice stuff.....

Guenter - don't even get me started... your stuff is SO incredible... I appreciate you "taking the time"...

Noel - You are always SO kind..............
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Sure Enough - 03/02/13 12:50 AM
austin...

I don't think it did change. the line is a bit longer, word wise, so I separated it, but I think the ryhme scheme is the same... on the other, I might "meet you half way"..if I were to re-do it, I would drop the "I", but keep the "guess".
© PG Music Forums