PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Tranquility Island - 06/20/13 12:12 AM
The new Tranquility Island

You and your friend are sitting on the beaches of Tranquility Island. You are playing your nylon string guitar and he is playing his acoustic bass. Occasionally waves hit the shore. Birds are singing. During your performance you are joined by a pan flutist, a portable keyboard player with Mellotron chorus software, a group of string instrumentalists, a Gamelon player and a soprano vocalist. (If you think this is weird then what was Count Basie’s band doing playing in the desert in Blazing Saddles?)

This started with BiaB style Orchestral Piano arpeggios 4/4.

From the style I deleted the bass and drum parts and modified the rest of the parts like so:
1-the strings stayed strings but were heavily modified. I played another accompanying string part on my keyboard.
2-the piano arpeggio was changed into a Gamelon.
3-the guitar part was changed into a Mellotron chorus
I played the nylon string guitar and Dean acoustic bass parts. I also played the pan flute part via my wind controller and the soprano vocal via my keyboard.

I hope you like it.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Tranquility Island - 06/20/13 12:36 AM
Could be the opening to numerous movies, very good and very cool Mario.

Give me one nit to pick . . . the waves were (on my system anyway) a little overpowering.

All instruments you played are wonderful, especially the pan flute, it was mesmerizing.

Later,
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Tranquility Island - 06/20/13 04:49 AM
What Danny said.

Waves were too far forward on my system too. Maybe we're supposed to be listening to a band on an island 100 feet away, and the music is partly obscured by the natures sounds 10 feet away?

Apart from that I liked it.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Tranquility Island - 06/20/13 11:25 AM
Very nice, Mario. Definitely soundtrack material.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Tranquility Island - 06/20/13 12:21 PM
Mario,

Hauntingly beautiful. The flute, the guitar, the "vocals" - all were mesmerizing - peaceful, relaxing. (those waves were coming in a little strong)

Nice. Great playing...

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: Tranquility Island - 06/20/13 04:54 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Very nice, Mario. Definitely soundtrack material.

+1

Guenter
Posted By: ROG Re: Tranquility Island - 06/20/13 10:02 PM
Hi Mario.

Definitely Film/TV/Documentary material. Very atmospheric.

Afraid I've got to agree about the waves. The idea is good, but the sound is a bit intrusive instead of relaxing.

ROG.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tranquility Island - 06/20/13 10:02 PM
What they all said. Beautiful and a fine arrangement. I, too, would suggest that the waves be backed off a bit -- particularly as they segue into the birds. Thanks for the post.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Tranquility Island - 06/21/13 02:36 AM
+1

Nice one for spa music too.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Tranquility Island - 06/21/13 02:55 AM
So... very... sleepy...

Mission accomplished! grin
Posted By: MarioD Re: Tranquility Island - 06/21/13 07:02 PM
Thanx all for listening, the very kind words and especially for the constructive criticism.

Because of your suggestions I have lowered the wave volume during the song, that is only the intro waves are loud.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanx
Posted By: dani48 Re: Tranquility Island - 06/21/13 07:22 PM
Hi, Mario !

I enjoyed your tune
very much, in a way
quite sublime I´d say !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Tranquility Island - 06/21/13 09:17 PM
Hi Mario,

Wonderfully restful. I want to congratulate you reaching professional level with your wind controller! The sound was amazing. It could have been Gheorghe Zamfir playing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbVfBk9GdhY

I didn't hear the original but the waves were fine for me on this version. I liked them!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: MarioD Re: Tranquility Island - 06/21/13 11:38 PM
Thanx Dani and Noel for the very kind words.

Noel, I am no where near an amateur player let alone a pro when it comes to the wind controller. Some editing went into this.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Tranquility Island - 06/22/13 08:28 PM
the first minute or so had a Sergio Leone vibe to me. great work
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Tranquility Island - 06/23/13 04:11 PM
Hey Mario,

Very creative, dramatic, good guitar work. An exceptional contribution.

Aleck
Posted By: MarioD Re: Tranquility Island - 06/23/13 07:56 PM
Thanx gruverider and Aleck for the very kind words.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Tranquility Island - 06/23/13 08:47 PM
Mario, apparently you had already tamed the waves before I got to the party. I also thought "Spaghetti Western" soundtrack ala Leone. I liked it. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Tranquility Island - 06/23/13 10:21 PM
Mario,

Just got back to this one, MEGA improvement over the 1st mix ma man! Hey you have to excuse me when it comes to my reaction to loud waves as you know how close to the coast I operate everyday. With this said when I hear "loud" waves I'm heading north.

PS: I think one of those seagulls crapped on my head!

Later,
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Tranquility Island - 06/23/13 11:13 PM
Yep, I was going to say that the waves are loud but just at the beginning. They sound good to me now. Very relaxing.

Mike B.
Posted By: PeteG Re: Tranquility Island - 06/27/13 01:34 AM
Tres Cool - I had visions of the players floating by on paddle boards. Sounds like your virtual studio and instrument count has been increasing. Takes a lot to fill up the retirement time.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Tranquility Island - 06/27/13 08:06 AM
Hi Mario
I enjoyed listening. Thanks!
Posted By: joden Re: Tranquility Island - 06/27/13 08:02 PM
agree with all of the above - try using some gentle compression as well to assist with a nice overall "radio" mix.

Nice tune though, and sweet playing. Well done.

Dennis

PS: oh yes, just a very minor suggestion smile try and set up a Soundcloud (similar) account if you can...most are free. Needing to download a file is a tad intrusive. NO offence meant, and just my view..
Posted By: MarioD Re: Tranquility Island - 06/30/13 12:05 AM
Thanx all for listening and the nice comments.
© PG Music Forums