PG Music Home
Posted By: Sundance Completely Foolproof - 08/20/13 10:32 PM
Hey ya'll,

This one's a country pop A/C tune. Recorded in Realband and mixed in Tracktion.

Completely Foolproof

Lyrics are on the link page.

Thanks for listening. Appreciate your comments. Hope you enjoy it.

RTs: Jazz Funk El Rythm 1770, 1771
Jazz Funk El Piano 1774, 1772
Hard Rock El Bass 995
Soul 60s Piano 1578
Drums P/W uptempo Ev 16
Vox and 3 harmony parts - me.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/20/13 11:01 PM
Josie, Just listened twice, going back for a third. The key change for the chorus is an ear twister and I kept wondering how you would resolve back to the verse, but you pulled it off and brought me back for multiple listens. Very unique chord structure. Nice breaks at the bridge and last chorus. Bravo!! Tom
Posted By: Sundance Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/21/13 12:12 AM
Thank you Tom!
Posted By: dani48 Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/21/13 07:13 AM
Hi, Josie ! smile

This is great and I really
hope that you can find a foolproof
heart ! I have not been able to (LOL) !
IMO you are doing a great job
as composer and songwriter !!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: ROG Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/21/13 08:41 AM
Hi Josie.

It's always a good start to the day when I see one of your songs on the list!

The lyrics are super - they're very clever and the hook really does hook into you.

I love the sound of your voice and it really suits this song. Everything's up to your usual high standard. Going back for another listen.

ROG.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/21/13 02:12 PM
Thank you for the kind words Dani. The arrangement is new, the song was written just over twenty years ago. I still haven't found that heart either. smile
Posted By: Sundance Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/21/13 02:22 PM
Roger,

Thank you very much. I sang it in my upper register to fit the flavor of the song better and have a little vocal fun.

So glad you like it.
Posted By: gibson Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/21/13 02:23 PM
Josie,
+ 1 to all the above posts as I also look forward to your songs.
A lovely song, nice vocals, harmonies and the key change fits perfectly to add that little WOW factor.
You also seem to have a little ear-worm factory grin

thanks for sharing

Alyn
Posted By: boehm Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/21/13 04:41 PM
Hi Josie,

Originally Posted By: ROG

The lyrics are super - they're very clever and the hook really does hook into you.
I love the sound of your voice and it really suits this song. Everything's up to your usual high standard. Going back for another listen.

+1

Guenter
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/21/13 04:45 PM
Josie,

I've said it before but will again . . . you and a few more here on the showcase just blow me away with the way you just keep cranking out these good songs.

I remain impressed.

Later,
Posted By: Sundance Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/22/13 12:54 AM
Alyn,

Thank you. I'm happy you enjoyed it.

Guenter,

Thank you very much.

Danny,

Thank you, I appreciate it.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/22/13 11:40 AM
Josie,

Super catchy! What a terrific hook! The style fits the lyric to a tea.

Enjoyed it.

floyd
Posted By: jphillips Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/22/13 01:31 PM
Josie:

The chorus is very memorable. Good hook.

Nice job with that.

John
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/22/13 03:00 PM
Ahhh, Josie.. what can I say? I'm so envious of your song writing ability! One of these days I'll get the nerve to post something, but you and the others just keep raising the bar before I get to where the bar used to be.

Anyway, nice job. It's interesting to hear songs written from a woman's point of view.

Quote:
. I sang it in my upper register to fit the flavor of the song better and have a little vocal fun.

ah, so that's what was different! Perhaps I'm not being open-minded, but to me that made the song sound like somebody else was singing it, and I wanted to hear YOU singing it! (and of course, it IS you, but I'm old and set in my ways and to me Josie has a different voice than that)

But, in spite of my own personal weirdness, I LOVE the fact that you would experiment playfully like that! It says a lot about who you are creatively. I respect that trait in an artist.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/23/13 05:30 AM
Great work as always Josie
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/23/13 05:14 PM
Josie,
I'm late to comment again, sorry. They all said it. Very nicely done.
SD
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/23/13 07:02 PM
Good tunes are written around a good hook...and that is a fine one. I like the genre busting selection of Realtracks. Breaking out of "styles" really opens up BIAB. Nice production.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/24/13 01:24 AM
Floyd, John, Pat, Joanne, SD, Janice & Bud,

I appreciate your time listening and the nice comments.

Thank you all very much.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/24/13 02:34 PM
Josie,

As always, excellent writing, performance and production! You always inspire me to write better! Thanks for posting this one.

Steve
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/25/13 09:25 AM
Hi Josie,

Congratulations to you and Charlene on coming up with this one. It's excellent. I can't believe that it was written over 20 years ago!

What I find most interesting is looking at these lyrics through the lens of Pat Pattison's knowledge. At the time you wrote this, you probably hadn't even heard of Pat and here both of you are writing a lyric that is an outstanding example of everything he says about "balanced" versus "unbalanced", "stable" versus "unstable", and "motion creates emotion".

I love the verses' rhyme scheme AABBCCDXD. Because you and Charlene have used mostly non-perfect rhymes for the couplets, it makes them sound really fresh and it doesn't draw attention to the fact that they are rhymes. That they are not perfect rhymes is also a great way of lyrically supporting the song's emotional quality. In addition, that seemingly humble little non-rhyming second last line is, from the perspective of motion, lyrically so very powerful; it cleverly disturbs the pattern of couplets that you've clearly established. What a great destabilising device! To my ears, it shouted out "Pay attention! Something's going to happen" - not only because it doesn't rhyme but also because it creates a verse with an odd number of phrases. You sure sent me flying headlong into the chorus! How cool is that!!!

Like so many listeners before me, I'm now heading back for another journey through your song.

Best wishes,
Noel
Posted By: MarioD Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/27/13 01:01 AM
I’m late to the party but I’m glad that I came!

It’s all been said. This is another winner!
Posted By: seeker Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/27/13 03:29 PM
Josie,

After listening to Mario's Steve's and now your music...
My heart is NOT foolproof, think of old times many years ago.
Your gentle voice with the story is great.

Quote:
"by Rog from above"

Thanks for sharing your work with us.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/29/13 04:39 AM
Steve, Noel, Mario, and Frank,

Thank you all very much. I'm glad you liked it.

@Noel - It's interesting seeing the lyrics dissected like that. You're right neither of us knew about Pat.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Completely Foolproof - 08/29/13 11:57 AM
Nice job on the song.

I'd like to hear the vocals a bit brighter..... a simple EQ fix to add some crispness to them. This would bring out the character in your vocals.
© PG Music Forums