PG Music Home
Posted By: FLCntryGuy Passing Fancy - Bluegrass style - 08/23/13 12:45 PM
My dad loves bluegrass, so I took a couple of my songs and put them to the Blue Grass style. I'm always amazed at the changes the style make. I had the Passing Fancy song in my mind one way, but my friends like the BG style a lot better... me too.

https://soundcloud.com/born26s/passing-fancy-bg
https://soundcloud.com/born26s/looking-back-to-seebg

The other version are on down the list.

Let me know.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Passing Fancy - Bluegrass style - 08/23/13 01:16 PM
Cool tune.... the fun thing with BG is that lyrics can be straight ahead tell the story.....

nice

I would drop the doubling off the vox since that is not used in BG.... harmonies would be OK....
Posted By: tommyad Re: Passing Fancy - Bluegrass style - 08/23/13 04:11 PM
Jim, I agree the BG sounds way better than the original. I also agree with Herb about dropping the doubling. Nice job on this. Tom
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Passing Fancy - Bluegrass style - 08/23/13 04:59 PM
Jim,
Nice one
SD
Posted By: Sundance Re: Passing Fancy - Bluegrass style - 08/24/13 01:20 AM
Jim G.,

I only listened to the BG version.

Love the lyrics story and enjoyed the song. Feelgood and fun.

IMO, the doubling depends on what the intent is - if it's really for traditional BG then no, but these days it's not uncommon for the more folkie acts to sing in unison (double or more) so that didn't put me off.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Passing Fancy - Bluegrass style - 08/24/13 02:25 PM
Jim,

+1 to all the above comments. Fun song. I agree with Josie about the doubling. If it's pure BG, no doubling, but it really depends on your intentions/preferences.

Steve
Posted By: seeker Re: Passing Fancy - Bluegrass style - 08/27/13 04:10 PM
Jim,

This is really great fun music.
Lousy excuse to your wife...... tho.

Really like the hesitations about 2:03.
Posted By: RobbMiller Re: Passing Fancy - Bluegrass style - 08/27/13 09:50 PM
I am going to offer a contrary opinion. After listening to both versions of "Passing Fancy" I like the original better. I think the way you harmonize and weave vocs is well done and fun. It has a cool P.Simon[ish] groove to it.

IMO, the instrumentation of the original version also supported the story better. Better musical prosody.

I noticed the instrumentation in the BG version and this took away from the story. As crazy as it sounds, this could be because I enjoy bluegrass.

I couldn't find the non-BG version of "looking back to see".
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Passing Fancy - Bluegrass style - 08/28/13 01:30 AM
Enjoyed the 1st one, could not get the 2nd to play so I'll try again later.

Passing fancy, what a clever play on words. Regarding the doubling it did not distract me either, very enjoyable listen.

Later,
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Passing Fancy - Bluegrass style - 08/29/13 01:55 AM
Just got to hear the 2nd Looking Back . . . just wondering I heard a similar tune, don't know who recorded it back in the 60's I think. Is this the same song? Either way do did a fine job on this one also.

Later,
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Passing Fancy - Bluegrass style - 08/31/13 01:37 AM
Hi Jim,

I only listened to the BG version. I've got to say that you had me tapping my toes. I love bluegrass because it always leaves me feeling cheerful and happy. Really nice work.

Noel
© PG Music Forums