PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 08/30/13 03:46 PM
This forum and the folks in it are so very cool...

I put a "wish" into the Wishlist forum asking for more rock soloing tracks. I've been doing several productions recently that are a little more uptempo - typically Country Rock type things - and have found that after auditioning all the soloists that I am landing on the same one (or 2 or 3) most of the time. They are great, but after doing several songs, you begin to hear licks that you like.. popping up more often than you would like..

Well... Tommy Cole (tommyc) "hollered at me" that he might do some leads for me while I wait for that wish to come true... (for those who might be "new", Tommy does very cool stuff, but has not posted in the Showcase for quite some time).

I had just finished this song at the time. While I liked what I had for leads, they weren't quite what I was after... so I sent it to Tommy and he "did his thang"...

So that you get a sense of who is who...
At the very beginning, I play an opening lick (you will hear it embedded at the end, as well) - it should be in your left speaker.
As that is ending, Tommy chimes in for a short one (should be on the right).
Everything else that you hear on the left is "Brent tracks".
Tommy and "Brent tracks" trade off throughout.. Tommy, right.. B, left..

Tommy - A whoppin' big "Thank You", man!

Hope you enjoy it (it's a tad different for me)... Comments Encouraged.

BAD ENOUGH

sometimes the things we want
seem a little out of reach
i ain't got that red ferrari
or a condo on the beach
but when i was young, my daddy taught me
a lesson 'bout hanging tough
he said "you can get anything you want
but you gotta want it bad enough"

i want you
bad, bad, bad
there's no stopping my heart
it's a runaway train
on a one way track
come hell or high water
i'm gonna win your love
i want you.... bad enough

sometimes you gotta move mountains
sometimes you gotta take a dare
sometimes it takes the sweat of your brow
sometimes it takes prayer
but no matter how absolutely, positively, totally
impossible.... what you dream of
you can get anything you want
but you gotta want it bad enough

repeat chorus

The RealTracks...
RealTracks in style: ~~1010:Bass, Electric, BritInvasion Ev 140
RealTracks in style: 1563:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm BritBluesInvasionJohn Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 698:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty Ev 120 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 699:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty Ev 120 (B:sust)
RealTracks in song: 1169:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockMediumBrent Ev 120
RealDrums in style: RockClassicBritEv^1-a:Snare, Closed HiHat , b:Snare, Ride Bell

floyd

OH! Almost forgot..... CRANK IT UP!!!
Posted By: seeker Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 08/30/13 04:27 PM
Floyd, Tommy,
What a dual team you make.

Loved the guitar work, really added lot to the production.

Floyd,
Little bit away from your norm, but just loved the lyrics, your
vocals, and the entire production.

You two guys nailed this.

Thanks for your hard work and sharing!
Posted By: dani48 Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 08/31/13 12:47 AM
Hi, Floyd !

I am out of words......!
I enjoyed this rocker
immensely, had to start
tappin´......

Cheers
Dani

PS

My avatar follows the fashion
of today ! (Lol) !
Posted By: Sundance Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 08/31/13 01:07 AM
Floyd Jane you are stepping out and getting it on with yo’ bad rocking self! That’s one great vocal. I stand and hold my BIC lit to that performance!

Great job on the guitar Tommy.

Absolutely love the mix, it sounds like a record. Cool ending on the arrangement too.

Way to go!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 08/31/13 04:59 AM
Floyd,

Well that's sure raised the forum's songwriting bar a couple of dozen notches!

Every single aspect of the song is top shelf: you name it - writing, singing, production, guitar work, mix - all excellent! I'd like to be constructively critical but you've really got to give me something to work with! There's nothing in this song for me to latch onto. It's way too perfect. I'll just have to say "a big thumbs up from me".

What I particularly liked was how you incorporated a refrain with a chorus. How cool is that! A "transitional bridge" (to quote Pat Pattison) from verse to chorus that provides an excellent trampoline for the chorus to bounce off. I also really liked the instrumental bridge. It was a perfect showcase for Tommy's brilliant playing as well as a perfect fit for this style of song.

You and Tommy have created a great work of art with this one. It really should be on the radio! Seriously!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Skyline Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 08/31/13 11:14 AM
This really cooks. Well done guys!

John
Posted By: marty c Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 08/31/13 11:23 AM
Great job. I enjoyed it and its also inspiring me to get myself busy!
Posted By: boehm Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 08/31/13 03:16 PM
Hi Floyd,

like Noel said - writing, singing, production, guitar work, mix - all excellent!
I can feel in the heavy power of the music what you express in the lyrics.
Great job of Tommy. It'sa a pity he's not posted for so long.

Guenter
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 08/31/13 07:45 PM
What a Rocker!!
Not been around a while, Floyd (still nursing the burns to my left hand that have stopped me playing for now)and I'm glad I dropped by.
Reminds me in a way of the late Robert Palmer but this is a superb piece of original work. As always I enjoyed your lyrics and the tune and the way in which you pick from that "candy store" list of RTs to give you what you want. Then with Tommy hanging around on the right - and that SOLO!!! - gave it all it needs to be Top Class.
Loved it.
cheers
ian
ps - pleased to see so many of the track names had "Brit" in them - lol !!
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 08/31/13 11:43 PM
that was smokeing good well done on all of it good to here from you tommy nice vintage sound and riffs Floyd this is a great production thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 09/01/13 12:25 PM
Frank - thanks. always appreciate your comments..

dani - now... come on... I know you've got words tucked away somewhere.. LOL... thanks for the listen

Josie - ya kinda knocked me over with that one. I really appreciate that..

Noel - "...a couple of dozen notches"?? I appreciate the exaggeration.. a dozen would have been plenty smile ... "..work of art"? "..radio"? Man! I love when you comment on a song! Thanks...

Tommy - if you are out there somewhere... again... THANK YOU for throwing in on this...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 09/01/13 12:27 PM
John - thanks for listening.

marty - glad you enjoyed it..

Guenter - appreciate that. It is a shame that Tommy hasn't posted in a while...

ian - great to see you around again some... heal up! we need that ian-guitar-sound happening again. Thanks for the kind words...

eric - thanks.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 09/01/13 09:56 PM
Well Floyd and Tommy, ya got a winner here!

I thought the lyrics were very clever with a bit of a twist (when you started out naming THINGS, maybe I should have seen it coming that a PERSON was going to end up as the object of desire... )

very nice song which would have been considered rock in the 70s, but which would probably fit in quite well in today's country mix

The guitar work intermittently reminded me of Robert Palmer, Bad Company, and even Steely Dan at one point! Nice mix, you put Tommy right in there seamlessly.

Given your title, I thought you might include a spinoff of the old joke: "I need somebody really bad... (Are you really bad?)" turning the phrase "bad enough" from modifying the desire to modifying the person. But you didn't. (It would have totally worked though)

Anyway, the quick summary is that it is a really slick and enjoyable composition that got my attention and held it the whole time. All of the elements worked perfectly, from concept to chords, lyrics to leads, minstrel to mix, it was all good!

Oh wait, that's redundant since this is a Floyd Jane project!
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 09/01/13 10:17 PM
SUPER job!

You guys nailed it, great collaboration.

Later,
Posted By: Rick Hansen Bad enough indeed! - 09/02/13 01:43 AM
Just get some serious bottom end in that puppy and you got it mate!!!!

What a fun song.

Rick
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 09/02/13 01:10 PM
Pat - as always, I enjoy reading your thoughts on a song almost as much as writing it in the first place...

"...from concept to chords, lyrics to leads, mix to minstrel.."

That sounds like a songwriter to me (a good one!) - get on that horse, boy, and lay on those spurs!

Danny - thanks for that.

rickey - appreciate the listen...
Posted By: RobbMiller Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 09/02/13 07:48 PM
The best use of the internet IMHO is collaboration. A good use of technology and a good production.
Posted By: ROG Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 09/03/13 10:41 PM
Great song, great vocals, great harmony, great guitar, great production, great mix.

That's about it!

ROG.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 09/04/13 02:15 PM
Floyd,

You done did it again! Very nice touch. I really like the way you are able to jump around from genre to genre, but without losing your "signature" sound. Very good job with the lyrics, and the vocals are as good as ever.

Tommy,

Good job, cuz! About time you had something on the forum again! I always enjoy your playing, just wish I could hear it more often.

Good job, guys!

Steve
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 09/07/13 02:53 AM
Robb - thanks for dropping by.

ROG - really appreciate that...

Steve - thanks, as always...
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 09/09/13 08:48 AM
Wow Floyd you really did an incredible job of mixing! I'm doing so many hours of Audio and Video editing for my Church, that I haven't made much music this year. When I saw Floyd's wishlist post I knew this would be the easy way to make music, let him do all the work! Thanks for the kind comments Guys and Josie, Hope Yall have a Great Week!
Floyd and Tommy.
I listened to this a while back but am only getting round to commenting now.
Loved it! Keep the good work coming
Posted By: Frankp Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 09/15/13 12:53 AM
Just... Wow!

This tune should be a hit.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 09/15/13 05:11 PM
Hey Floyd,

This tune is more than baad enough by far. You got your Texas pipes in perfect tune, as always, and will ya lissen to that Tommy. He's a Mighty Burner alright.

Dean
To steal a phrase from the Allman Bros...that tune is "hitting the note" all the way from the git-go. What a showcase for your song, Tommy's picking and BIAB. And it has the ultimate quality for me -- I want to listen repeatedly. Wonderful effort guys!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 09/15/13 09:23 PM
I thought this one had "run it's course" and was fading away. That is why I posted a new one (More Than Just A Vase). And then it pops up..

Tommy - Thanks again, man! I really appreciate you lending a hand on this. I think everyone else appreciated it, too!!!

Joanne - thanks for the listen.

Frank - nice of you to drop by...

Dean - good to see you comin' 'round again... thanks.

Bud - thanks!
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 10/04/13 10:00 PM
Thanks, Joanne Cooper, Janice and Bud, Dean, Frank Pratte and of course Floyd! Sorry it took me so long to reply, just a busy guy.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 10/04/13 10:56 PM
Boy am I ever glad this popped up again. Excellent vocal and wow on the guitar work, loved the tone and edge to the guitar
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 10/10/13 08:48 PM
Hey Floyd,

I didn't think this day would come, but it finally has. Tommy and you burn on this track, but the ending with that buzz saw A (the tonic) leaves E hanging at the end. That's the 5th which is the tension note for resolving back to the tonic. Having it be the last note that the listener hears "upends the end."

It's obviously not a fatal flaw, and you're the only one I'd point it out to without fearing the need to come back with apologies, retractions, etc.

Let that buzz saw sing, but cut the switch if it tries to run beyond A

Dean
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 10/15/13 09:18 PM
Thanks Scott C, Strat with early 60's Vox! Hard to beat!
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Bad Enough (w/ Tommy Cole on guitar) - 10/15/13 09:23 PM
Not sure I understand Dean, last chord is an "A" and I bent a "G" till it was "A". "?" I may be having a senior moment though.
© PG Music Forums