PG Music Home
Posted By: RichMac There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/04/13 01:13 AM

'Tui in the BirdBath' - http://snd.sc/14hyHXc

Been working on this. It's about as good as it's likely to get.

Sugarmag.sty on its own and unaltered except for Acoustic guitar changed to Clean Electric.

RealDrums - Nashville Southern 02.

I absolutely welcome criticism. Anything at all I can improve ( well I can't do much about the voice ). Much appreciation to those who bother to listen and/or to comment.

Cheers
Richard
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/04/13 12:09 PM
link didn't work for me
Posted By: Steve Young Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/04/13 02:20 PM
Richard,

I really like the imagery in the song. The lyrics held my interest, and have a nice feel-good effect.

As to the mix, the midi guitar sound is a bit too loud for my taste. It tends to distract from your vocals, which are a bit too low at times.

Thanks for sharing this.

Steve
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/04/13 04:36 PM
Richard,

I had to look up the TUI since its not a species I've ever seen in the USA. Cool song, I like the structure and lyrics.

My only negative comment is that I'M SPOILED BY REAL TRACKS! The use of Midi guitar in this song detracts from the overall effect the song would have had otherwise. What version of BIAB are you using? If your version is 2008.5 or later I'd like to hear it reposted with a realTrack guitar part. Although I must admit, the strumming pattern is perfect for the song, but it's not one I've heard in a real track... so you might need to record it yourself or get a guitar-player friend to play it while you record it.

I wish I had a TUI in my birdbath, mostly because that would mean I was in New Zealand which would be far cooler then being in Winston-Salem NC
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/04/13 05:33 PM
its working now.... interesting song. I agree with the former statements. If you have real tracks it would certainly sound 1000% better than the midi tracks you have.

If not, just ask around the forum, I'm sure someone would be willing to help you out.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/04/13 11:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
its working now.... interesting song. I agree with the former statements. If you have real tracks it would certainly sound 1000% better than the midi tracks you have.

If not, just ask around the forum, I'm sure someone would be willing to help you out.

+1 here, the midi guitar just takes over the soundtrack IMHO.

Later,
Posted By: Sundance Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/05/13 02:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Richard,

I really like the imagery in the song. The lyrics held my interest, and have a nice feel-good effect.

As to the mix, the midi guitar sound is a bit too loud for my taste. It tends to distract from your vocals, which are a bit too low at times.

Thanks for sharing this.

Steve

I totally agree and really nice sing a long chorus too.
Posted By: RichMac Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/05/13 03:33 AM

Herb, Steve, Pat, Danny, Josie, thanks so much for your opinions and comments. I believe I will actually follow some advice for once.

Have the 2013 everything version, and a fairly fast computer, so plenty of Real Tracks to check out.
Will look for a similar guitar. Maybe.
Doesn't have to be the same and redo the vocal. Probably.

Want to keep the arrangement simple. Take my time. The last version was a bit rushed.

Off to audition RT guitarists.
Richard
Posted By: dani48 Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/05/13 07:56 PM
Hi, Richard !

I am impressed by both
melody and lyrics !
Both are just super !:)

Yours is a feelgood song !

Cheers
Dani

Posted By: gibson Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/06/13 03:51 AM
Good stuff Richard,
To keep the feel of the midi guitar a VST would do the trick in your DAW. I use Musiclab Real Guitar and with a little fiddling with the note lengths produces a reasonable sounding approximation of a guitar. To use Realtracks would take away the feel of the song, which is right for the song in my opinion.

Alyn
Posted By: Skyline Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/06/13 08:11 AM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Good stuff Richard,
To keep the feel of the midi guitar a VST would do the trick in your DAW. I use Musiclab Real Guitar and with a little fiddling with the note lengths produces a reasonable sounding approximation of a guitar. To use Realtracks would take away the feel of the song, which is right for the song in my opinion.

Alyn

+1.
I sometimes use RealGuitar and it can sound totally convincing.
It's a pleasing song and quite 'hooky'!

John
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/06/13 12:52 PM
I play guitar and have a really nice Taylor as well as a decent studio with a Rode NT-2A condenser mic..... and there are times where I will simply use the Real Band real tracks guitars because they are so well done...and it doesn't require me to set up the mic and play the guitar.

It's very hard to tell the real tracks from the live guitar. I will use the live guitar often and especially if I have some picked fills or intros. Mostly I use live guitar because I can play it and then I can truthfully say that I'm playing the guitar parts.

By all means, dig in and use them. You will never go back to midi guitar tracks again.
Posted By: RichMac Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/06/13 09:37 PM

Did a RealTracks version in RealBand.

Tui in The BirdBath - http://snd.sc/1abRKkN

A bit more rock n roll and the vocals are clearer. Used headphones when recording so kept the backing separate from the vocal track.

4 piece group backing
RD - Nashville Southern 02
Bass - RT 513 Funk James
Guitar - RT 1638 Jazz funk breezy
Guitar rhythm - RT 642 Hardrock thrash hollow

Makes me feel like having a party.

Dani48 - Thanks - your post makes me feel good.

Alyn - Definitely checking that out. Thanks.

Skyline - I have Amplitube and like using it but it keeps not working and i cant be bothered with it anymore. Takes up too much of my time trying to hook it up instead of doing something more enjoyable.

Herb - I do like the realtracks and can usually find approximately what i want but if you can play of course you get 100% what you want. Then that's it, that's the song.
Freaks me out a bit to realize with realtracks i can do 100's of very different versions of the same song. And like them all. So which is the real version?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/07/13 01:24 AM
WooHoo! I like this version a LOT better than the original!! (realtracks ROCK!)

I originally thought the first style matched the mood of the lyrics, but this does too in a completely different way! It has such an earthy almost aboriginal beat, you EXPECT to look out the window and see a tui in the birdbath!

I like the way you brought instruments in and out, keeping it simple during the singing.

I've never heard a song with that basic sound before, and I think you did an awesome job with the rewrite. I expected something a little better than the original, but this was head and shoulders above the first version... GREAT JOB!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/07/13 02:41 AM
Richard,

Nice job on the re-do. A cool song.

floyd
Posted By: RichMac Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/07/13 08:33 AM
Yee Haa!
Thanks Pat

And thanks Floyd for the comment.
Posted By: RichMac Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/09/13 06:15 AM

Just finished the video and put it on UTube.
It's fairly easy with Windows Live Movie Maker.

http://youtu.be/cW9tO-pVmas

My best effort so far.
Posted By: gibson Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/09/13 06:21 AM
Ah HAH so that's a tui!!
I liked the 1st version of the song but now the new one fits perfectly to the video.

good one mate

Alyn
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/09/13 11:13 AM
Richard,

this song of yours is a good example of how "Its all in the presentation"

I liked the original, but there were some aspects of the presentation that were off-putting, keeping it from having the same effect it has now.

But wow.. the changes you've made with the real tracks and video have dramatically improved its "presentability"

Good job all around!~ Can't wait to see the next project!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/09/13 02:01 PM
Different and enjoyable. I agree with all of the above re RealTracks and how well the video works. Really be interesting if two Tui's showed up in that bird bath. Thanks for the opp to listen!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/09/13 03:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Really be interesting if two Tui's showed up in that bird bath.

no wait, we can make this even worse:
How about if a tui with a tattoo showed up, then two tuis with tattoos too also showed up.

hah! Top that!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/09/13 06:37 PM
I'm through with
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Really be interesting if two Tui's showed up in that bird bath.

no wait, we can make this even worse:
How about if a tui with a tattoo showed up, then two tuis with tattoos too also showed up.

hah! Top that!

If two tuis with tattos too showed up I'd be through.
Posted By: RichMac Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/09/13 09:51 PM

Thanks so much to Alyn - Pat - Janice and Bud for your friendly comments.

Am looking forward to cleaning up some old projects that have nothing to do with birds!

Two tatty tattooed tuis.
Should be able to use that somewhere.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/11/13 01:53 AM
Nicely done, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: mivison Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/11/13 05:17 AM
Awesome! reminds me of Yellow Submarine. just a fun song that makes you feel good.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/11/13 07:07 AM
Hi RichMac,

You really impressed me with the huge amount of imagery contained in your lyrics. When I listened, I closed my eyes, concentrated on the words and found the journey a very visual one. It was a wonderfully scenic path you led me along. I enjoyed it smile

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: RichMac Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/11/13 08:19 AM

Thanks to PGFantastic - mivision - Noel96.

Youall really make my day.
Posted By: gruverider Re: There's a Tui in the birdbath!! - 09/27/13 02:10 PM
love that bass! I like how you turn the tables and write from the bird's perspective. much enjoyed!
© PG Music Forums