PG Music Home
Posted By: ROG Take Me With You. - 09/09/13 06:43 PM
This is a song about being left behind. There are so many ways throughout life in which we can be left behind and in this track I've tried to capture some of the emotions, loneliness, sadness, anger, which can all get mixed up together in these situations.

I'm indebted to Ellie, Jessie and Courtney, who at seventeen have probably never been left behind, but who still sang their hearts out to make this work. The rest of it was, of course, all done in Power Tracks.

TAKE ME WITH YOU
Anywhere, any time, any place, I don't mind
Hot or cold, it's all the same
All you've got to do is call my name

So take me with you when you go
Do you want to leave me feeling low
Don't you know that time goes so slow
So won't you take me with you when you go

I don't mind, where we go, any place, high or low
There's no need, to make a plan
All you've got to do is take my hand

And if you find yourself alone
When everyone has gone
Then you'll know just how it feels.

A serious topic, but I hope there's still some entertainment value left.
Thanks for listening.

ROG.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Take Me With You. - 09/09/13 07:07 PM
nice job on the song.

Are these BB/RB tracks mixed in with live players?

It sounds good.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Take Me With You. - 09/09/13 07:28 PM
Rog,

your stuff has such a fresh feel to it.. I suppose because you control every aspect of the song and play it yourself.

I didn't think the topic came across as seriously as I expected based on your introduction... to me it sounded like a regular pop ditty. But I'm sure you are a lot more invested in it emotionally after laboring over every aspect of the projects conception and birth.

The lead singer really impressed me... her breathy voice is brimming with confidence and control.

Your intro caught my attention... I always wonder how people think up interesting ways to begin a song other than a couple bars of exactly what the rest of the song is... but those two sustained chords created a nice opening without giving away what was coming.

I also like to note the various decorations you sprinkle throughout your songs. They are always very original and tasteful. To me, those are the touches that make a song stand out from other songs.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear this on the radio... its as good as or better than most of the music I've listened to for most of my life.

You already know how highly I regard you as a musician and recording engineer. This song just validates that even further
Posted By: rsdean Re: Take Me With You. - 09/09/13 09:31 PM
Rog,

The song and overall presentation is great... Agree with Pat, this sounds radio ready.

Bob
Posted By: ROG Re: Take Me With You. - 09/09/13 10:15 PM
Hi Herb - thanks for the listen and the comments.

There's no BiaB or RTs in this one, just me playing the tracks into PowerTracks. The drums are our own samples programmed up in MIDI. I do have an ageing copy of BiaB, but most of my stuff gets recorded, mixed and mastered in PowerTracks these days.

I've been using PT for years and I just like the way it works - I tend to do everything from the Mixer and the Bars windows which allows me to work much like I used to do with tape and large format mixers all those years ago. Not that I'd want to go back to tape, you understand - in this song we used up 24 tracks just with vocals on! In the past, we'd have been locking machines together, or more likely just doing endless sub-mixes.

Thanks again for looking in.

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Take Me With You. - 09/09/13 10:23 PM
Pat - once again you make me blush!

The voices are a real mixture on this one. The first voice you hear is Ellie and where the chorus kicks in Jess picks up the lead and Elle takes the three-part harmony. When it moves into the quiet section, that's just Jess on lead and harmony and the piece after that is all Courtney.

If we ever get the band to do the tour of the US you'll get to see them live. Now that really IS something!

Thanks again for the nice comments.

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Take Me With You. - 09/09/13 10:24 PM
Bob - Thanks for listening and the positive comments.

It's always a big help to get feedback.

ROG.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Take Me With You. - 09/09/13 10:39 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Pat - once again you make me blush!

The voices are a real mixture on this one. The first voice you hear is Ellie and where the chorus kicks in Jess picks up the lead and Elle takes the three-part harmony. When it moves into the quiet section, that's just Jess on lead and harmony and the piece after that is all Courtney.

well in that case I'm impressed with ALL of them! An outstanding job all around! You must be quite proud of your students!

Quote:
If we ever get the band to do the tour of the US you'll get to see them live. Now that really IS something!

hey, if the band tours the USA y'all are invited to stay at my house to save on tour costs. Let me know before you come so I can try to book some local gigs... or it might make more sense to contact a booking agent, explain the situation, and let him/her take it from there.

Quote:
Thanks again for the nice comments.

ROG.

just tellin' it like it is, bro!
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Take Me With You. - 09/09/13 10:42 PM
This is a good one. The instrumentation sounds mighty fine. 24 tracks of vocals!!!!! I think I am push the limits when I use 4, 5 or 6 tracks of vocals (ha, ha). Very cool sound and the vocals are working for me.
Posted By: ROG Re: Take Me With You. - 09/09/13 10:56 PM
Hi Kevin.

Many thanks - I always value your opinion.

Hey, I tuned in to your live show just in time to see you signing off. A curse on this time difference! Next time I'm gonna set an alarm.

I'm full of respect for the courage it must take to do something like that. I've done enough gigs in my time, but that would scare me half to death. Be sure to post in good time to let us know about the next one.

ROG.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Take Me With You. - 09/09/13 11:37 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Kevin.

Many thanks - I always value your opinion.

Hey, I tuned in to your live show just in time to see you signing off. A curse on this time difference! Next time I'm gonna set an alarm.

I'm full of respect for the courage it must take to do something like that. I've done enough gigs in my time, but that would scare me half to death. Be sure to post in good time to let us know about the next one.

ROG.

he's playing this coming Saturday at 2:30 pm your time (9:30 am my time, East Coast time)
Posted By: gibson Re: Take Me With You. - 09/10/13 02:40 AM
This sounds like what Bananarama SHOULD have been, instead of the cr*p they were. (apologies for the poor use of english there!!)Takes me straight back to the'80's....

The vocals are always excellent but 24 tracks of them!!LOL As Kemmrich I thought my 8+ was overkill but then the girls can sing and they make the current crop of girl bands sound ******

Your sound shows exactly what can be done with a DAW, if you have the talent and time. You certainly have the talent.
I do like the middle 8 bit from 2.00 onwards with answering guitar and the return with the synth motif.
It must be nice to work with such talented singers who can showcase your writing and production skills.

And who needs the other considerably more expensive DAW with the same initials?

Alyn
Posted By: Sundance Re: Take Me With You. - 09/10/13 05:06 AM
ROG,

I'm an 80's fan so this song is up my alley.

The best overall vocals I've heard from the girls yet - and notice I say YET because they continue to outdo themselves.

As do you on these projects. Amazing.

The only thing else I really wish you'd do is grab the camera and make a video of them doing this one for youtube ....puhleeeese! <grin>

Love it.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Take Me With You. - 09/10/13 07:21 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Rog,

The song and overall presentation is great... Agree with Pat, this sounds radio ready.

Bob

Agree!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Take Me With You. - 09/10/13 01:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance

The only thing else I really wish you'd do is grab the camera and make a video of them doing this one for youtube ....puhleeeese! <grin>

Hey, GREAT idea Josie!
+1

and make sure YOU'RE in the video too, playing all those instruments...
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Take Me With You. - 09/10/13 01:44 PM
Well, I learned something..... Power Tracks is a DAW by PG.

I need to "get out" more.....

Nice job on this tune. 24 vox tracks..... that's a chore. but it sounds good the way you mixed it. I thought I had something when I had one song with 10 to 12 vocal tracks.... and you clock in with twice that number.
Posted By: ROG Re: Take Me With You. - 09/10/13 04:17 PM
Hey Alyn.

Glad you approved.

We actually have that "other" DAW which you mentioned, but it's years since I bothered to dust it off, because I simply prefer Power Tracks to any other program I've found - and believe me, I've tried them all!

Yes, it's great working with such good singers and as a bonus, the girls insist on keeping me in the loop as far as fashion, make-up and hairdressing tips are concerned.

ROG.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Take Me With You. - 09/10/13 04:23 PM
ROG,

Great job on this. Has a great vibe to it. Like Pat, I was expecting something a little more melancholy, but thoroughly enjoyed it. The girls did a great job, and your tracks sound excellent. Keep it up!

Steve
Posted By: ROG Re: Take Me With You. - 09/10/13 04:23 PM
Joanne - thanks for listening and the kind comments.

Josie and Pat - I promise to try and get a video put together nearer the end of the year when we're all together for our next gig. Until then, here's a PHOTO to be going on with. From the left, Courtney, Jessie, Ellie.

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Take Me With You. - 09/10/13 04:44 PM
For all those of you who were surprised at how we managed to pull down twenty four tracks of vocals, this is how we did it. In fact, when I checked the track sheet we actually had 27.

Ellie's lead - 1 track.

Ellie's harmonies in the chorus - 3 parts each tracked up 4 times and panned hard L/R = 12 tracks.
Jessie's lead in the chorus - tracked 3 times and placed centre and just off-centre = 3 tracks.

Jessie in the slow section - lead vox 1 track, harmony 2 tracks panned hard L/R = 3 tracks.

Courtney in the following section - 2 part harmony, each part tracked 4 times and panned hard L/R = 8 tracks.

The total was 27, but the maximum tracks running at the same time was the chorus with 15. The difficulty when tracking-up so much is getting the phrasing sync accurate, or it can sound terrible, but the girls are really good at it by now, so we don't usually run into any trouble.

Thanks again to everyone for listening.

ROG.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Take Me With You. - 09/10/13 05:08 PM
ROG,

One heck of a song and one super performance. If I had singers like this I'd keep my big trap sealed shut!

Be Proud!

Later,
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Take Me With You. - 09/10/13 06:00 PM
ROG - and The Girls...

What a truly enjoyable listen! The production and mix are terrific. It holds together as one big cohesive "thing" - a "sound". And all the parts fit perfectly.

The vocals are so enjoyable. Smooth, blended. The lyric works really well with the overall sound - there are no bumps. It all just flows.

There are only ever a handful of songs on this forum that make me sit back and just LISTEN - without trying to analyze... This was one.

So, ROG, you are taking these impressionable young folks and inundating (teaching) them with these 80's sounding production values... The next British invasion???

floyd
Posted By: bostonx Re: Take Me With You. - 09/10/13 10:29 PM
I really liked this song so please note this could have been my speakers, but I thought the bass was a little too much in the mix and very muffed.. But I really enjoyed the song, and the singers are excellent as well as the production... I am jealous as I wish I had singers to belt out tunes that well
Posted By: dani48 Re: Take Me With You. - 09/11/13 12:59 AM

Hi, Rog !

I must say that you and the girls
did a fantastic job on this one !
I admire your writing as well as
arranging skills !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: boehm Re: Take Me With You. - 09/11/13 01:42 AM
Hi Rog,

Music Prof has done it again!
Originally Posted By: Sundance

The best overall vocals I've heard from the girls yet - and notice I say YET because they continue to outdo themselves.

As do you on these projects. Amazing.

The only thing else I really wish you'd do is grab the camera and make a video of them doing this one for youtube.

I love it, too.
Guenter
Posted By: gibson Re: Take Me With You. - 09/11/13 04:43 AM
Quote:
the girls insist on keeping me in the loop as far as fashion, make-up and hairdressing tips are concerned.

No need to mention that as I can see the obvious results of their efforts in your website photo LOL

Alyn
Posted By: Sundance Re: Take Me With You. - 09/11/13 05:10 AM
ROG,

Thanks for sharing the great photo. What pretty girls they are. Looking forward to that video. smile
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Take Me With You. - 09/11/13 08:53 AM
Hi ROG,

From that first piano chord, I knew I was in for a treat. It was so full of body that it made me sit up and pay attention.

As the song progressed, the girls' singing, your writing and your amazing arrangement and production pulled me right into the music and wouldn't let go of me. This song is a credit to everyone involved in it. "Magnificent" was a word that kept on somersaulting around in my mind.

You've certainly raised the proverbial bar in the Forum with this one!

Loved it!
Noel
Posted By: Skyline Re: Take Me With You. - 09/11/13 11:06 AM
I love this one Rog. Great song, nicely realised.
This is the best I've heard the girls, they sound much better in lower registers, more crunchy and edgy. Excellent work.

John
Posted By: ROG Re: Take Me With You. - 09/12/13 10:25 AM
Hey Guys.

Steve, Danny, Bostonx, Dani, Boehm, skyline - I was overwhelmed to get so many responses and all positive ones too! Thanks a million for taking the time out to listen and providing the feedback which is so useful and which makes it all worthwhile.

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Take Me With You. - 09/12/13 10:35 AM
Floyd.

Many thanks for all the detailed comments. It's surprising how all the kids I teach feel at home with the 80s sound. I don't know whether I've influenced them, or corrupted them! There doesn't seem to be anyone in our team here who likes the run-of-the-mill music which is being produced these days.

I think what I like about the 80s is that it was the decade when ideas stopped being limited by technology. Suddenly, anything you could think of was possible and some really ground-breaking stuff was produced.

Thanks again for taking the time.

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Take Me With You. - 09/12/13 10:40 AM
Noel.

What can I say? You're too kind.

You know I always admire your songs and so I always value your comments. The problem with too much praise is that it becomes hard to know what to do next!

Looking forward to see what you've got in the pipeline.

ROG.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Take Me With You. - 09/12/13 11:09 AM
Dittoes to all the positives above, but I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Motown feel of the backing vocals. It's a really nice juxtaposition over the rock rhythm section. Just sayin'. Keep 'em coming.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Take Me With You. - 09/15/13 12:05 AM
hi rog very engageing a keeper for shore I like the guitar licks thanks for sharing eric
© PG Music Forums