PG Music Home
Here's an original I wrote ten years ago that I re-recorded using only the Jazz Poll Winners Waltz style new with BIAB 2014. It is straight out of BIAB - no processing of any kind was done except trimming the start and finish of the file. The Melody is a Roland Fantom XR MIDI grand piano and the Soloist is a counterpoint line using MIDI vibes from the Fantom. Hope you enjoy it.

- Matt

Holiday Bell Waltz
Composed by Matt Finley
©2003 Kingsmill Music (BMI)
All rights reserved. Used with permission.

www.mattfinley.com/promos/holidaybellwaltzmattfinley2013.mp3
I liked the tune, not sure about the ending though. Enjoyable never the less.

Mike B.
This sounds great to me Matt. You had me from start to finish as I really like a good jazz waltz.
Hi Matt,

it's a pity that you removed the version from last year.
Would have been nice to compare.
Enjoyed this anyway.
Merry Christmas.

Guenter
Thanks, Matt. Really enjoyed it. Christmas waltzes just make for the season.
Matt,

It's a beautiful song and the new tracks sound great.

Josie
No trumpet!!!

Sounds great. Great tune you wrote, dig the structure and the B section.

I think a tag may have worked well for the ending, something like repeating the melody of last 4 measures (or 2 if you're feeling it in 6 as I am).

This track has a great groove, the bass player really pushes that groove (he's on top of the beat, right?). Lot's of energy.

(I also like jazz waltzes though 3/4 is a bit awkward for me. Been so inundated with 4/4 that my lines/vocabulary just wants that extra beat. I was recording Christmal Time is Here last night.)
Matt,

Enjoyable! And quite "holiday" sounding... super bass line in that...
was hoping there would be some trumpet along the way..

Nice.

floyd
Very nice. lots going on. Also like the bass runs in the background....
Nice work Matt.

Something told me I was going to hear some horns in there somewhere. Now why would I think that?
Thank you everyone. Remember, I did this strictly as a composer's demo of the new bonus pak jazz waltz poll winners style. It's "busy" because the tempo is faster than intended, even with the 'simple' setting on piano. The bass really makes it, though.

I do plan to record this sometime, just not this week. I normally perform the tune on vibes and solo on flute.
Hi Matt,

Jazz waltzes are one of my favourites styles of music. This tempo always appeals; it's almost like have a one-beat feel. To me, it's like the cut common time equivalent for a waltz.

Great piece of music. It showcases the poll winners style incredibly well. If you get the recording with flute and vibes done, I hope you post it. I'd love to hear it.

Regards,
Noel
Hi, Matt !

What a sweet little tune !
The rhytm made me think of Charlie Brown
and Snoopy (i.e. Vince Guaraldi)(lol) !
But your tune is quite original and very
very likable ! Great music !!:))

Cheers
Dani

....and a Merry Xmas too ......
Very enjoyable. Waltzes and Christmas seem to go together like Fred and Ginger or in my genre Lester and Earle. Cool melody and I'm really liking those bass riffs.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Here's an original I wrote ten years ago....

Holiday Bell Waltz
Composed by Matt Finley
©2003 Kingsmill Music (BMI)
All rights reserved. Used with permission.

www.mattfinley.com/promos/holidaybellwaltzmattfinley2013.mp3
Link doesn't seem to work (anymore?)
OK, I restored it (for a little while).

matt
OK, I restored it (for a little while).

matt
Thank you for that, it's a cool piece of jazz indeed! I hadn't been able to hear it the first time around so I'm glad you put it back up cool
Thanks! I'm actually performing it this weekend in concert. I apologize for not seeing your post for two years; another reason caused me to find this thread last night.
Very nice Matt! Great vibe, and excellent production.
Thank you David. I want to be clear, this is straight BIAB - no "production" at all. All I did was turn on the recording program and crop the ends.

I did this as a demo of what was a new feature a few years ago, the poll winner musicians.
I'm experimenting now with using Danny Gottlieb's drums and the new BIAB version 2017. I've worked with Danny, and no one gets a cleaner sound. I'm liking what I hear. I'll try to post an updated version soon.
I'm experimenting now with using Danny Gottlieb's drums and the new BIAB version 2017. I've worked with Danny, and no one gets a cleaner sound. I'm liking what I hear. I'll try to post an updated version soon.

I've listened to both versions this morning and I like the treatment the 2017 RealTracks deliver. It was interesting to get a side by side comparison.

Charlie
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Matt,

Enjoyable! And quite "holiday" sounding... super bass line in that...
was hoping there would be some trumpet along the way..

Nice.

floyd

I agree with the Holiday sounding! Very nice!! Could have fit in well in Charlie Brown's Christmas. Nice! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums