PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Funky Flute - 12/19/13 02:32 AM
Funky Flute

This is a quick and dirty my friend JonD and I did this weekend. Jon is playing the Fender Rhodes and the Ocarina lead while I am playing the wah guitar and the wind controller for the flute and Alto sax leads. The rest is Band-in-a-Box.

The BiaB style was Funk Rock, res.guit (88RT). I used only MIDI on this as follows:
1-Bass - directly from the style, i.e. no modifications
2-Drum - directly from the style, i.e. no modifications
3-Piano – deleted most of this track but kept a couple or riffs and changed the sound to a vibraphone.
4-Guitar - directly from the style, i.e. no modifications but changed the sound to vocals.

We hope you like it for what it is.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Funky Flute - 12/19/13 02:47 AM
Man! Like anything you do, this one is great! Loved it. Just out of curiosity; what synth or sound module did you use? Sounds very good. Thanks for posting.

Mike B.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Funky Flute - 12/19/13 03:23 AM
Mario
Great stuff man!
Like Mike asked, what synth module?
The sounds are really nice, and the wind controller work is excellent. Nice Rhodes too. I used to own the real thing a few bands ago.
Thanks again.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Funky Flute - 12/19/13 03:42 AM
Mario,

Stellar! Quick and dirty? Not sure I believe that!!! This sounds like a LOT of work went into it! REALLY well put together. Tight! Great mix.

The flute and sax sound great - the interplay between the two is terrific. The whole track is just NICE!!!

Very enjoyable! Y'all did good!

floyd
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Funky Flute - 12/19/13 10:07 AM
Ace track!
A lot going on in there. Clever changes in the midi - who'da thought it?
Liked this a lot.
cheers
Ian
Posted By: Scott C Re: Funky Flute - 12/19/13 12:23 PM
Very cool. Very enjoyable.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Funky Flute - 12/19/13 02:52 PM
Thanx all for listening and the very kind comments.

Cuban Pete and VideoTrack – here is a list of the synths used in the song:

1-Alto Sax – Sample Modeling - http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products_saxophones.php

2-Flute – Passion Flute – Orangetree samples - http://www.orangetreesamples.com/passion-flute

3-Rhodes – Classic Duo – Indiginus - http://www.indiginus.com/5dollar.html

4-Vibes – hard mallet – Garritan J&BB - http://www.garritan.com/products/jazz-big-band-3/

5-Choir + Ocarina – stock Kontakt sounds - http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths-samplers/kontakt-5/

6-Slap bass + drums – Cakewalk’s TTS-1 – came with Cakewalk’s Sonar

7-guitar amp – Amplitude’s Fender Twin Reverb amp

Floyd – this was a quick and dirty. Jon put down the Rhode’s part in one take then I put down the guitar part in one take. We both messed around with the backing track sounds then I put down the flute part in a few takes. The next day I listened and didn’t like it all flute so I added the Alto parts, some copied from the flute and other parts I played. Then I mixed and sent this up, i.e. two days total. Sometimes working this way yields the best music! I have been known to polish a song until it was dull!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Funky Flute - 12/19/13 03:07 PM
Mario, Sounding good. Nice playing throughout and a really good mix. I enjoyed it. Tom
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Funky Flute - 12/19/13 03:49 PM
Mario,

Beautiful chord change at 1:31-1:32. Hey, for a "quick and dirty" it's pretty neat and clean.

Dean
Posted By: boehm Re: Funky Flute - 12/19/13 04:15 PM
Hi Mario,

nice playing. A lot of variation.
Enjoyed that.
Merry Christmas.

Guenter
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Funky Flute - 12/19/13 09:46 PM
When you have competent musicians, one take can easily be a keeper track.

Enjoyable for certain.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Funky Flute - 12/20/13 05:24 PM
Another Gem from Mario!

I liked everything about this tune, to me sort of a mix between ELO, Steely Dan and Mario D. Oh yes the changes flowed very smoothly, hey the way they are supposed to.

Good stuff ma friend!

Merry Christmas to you and Family,
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Funky Flute - 12/22/13 03:26 PM
"Quick and dirty?" Wow! I'm late to the party commenting and it's all been said and said well. There is so much to like here. Interplay of solos, production value, changes -- I'm getting redundant with the above comments.. Thanks for the post.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funky Flute - 12/23/13 05:39 AM
Hi! We're new kids on the block...2 whole days now! Nice piece with some interesting mixes and sounds. We've done a few "one and done" cuts in the past. Sometimes, like this, it works out real nice! Thanks for the great listen! merry Christmas...

Al & Di
Posted By: gruverider Re: Funky Flute - 12/24/13 09:48 PM
First of all, how can you not listen to a tune called "Funky Flute"!

cool vibe here! and it put a smile on my face...

much enjoyed!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Funky Flute - 12/28/13 08:51 PM
Thanx all for listening and the very nice comments.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Funky Flute - 12/28/13 11:08 PM
Hi, Mario !:))

I really like this one !
I like the rhytm, the backing synth
(or was it real singers ?) drums,
the flute and the wah guitar !:))
not to mention the chord progressions !
Wow ! This is really a fantastic piece of
music !:)) Great !!!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: MarioD Re: Funky Flute - 12/29/13 06:12 PM
Thanx Dani!

The singers are actually the choir from Kontakt! That is synth all the way!
© PG Music Forums