PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad Hurricane Blues - 01/16/14 05:37 PM
Bad Weather=Bad Mood! The blues are alive and well deep down in Florida. As always comments/suggestions are encouraged. Thanks in advance for listening.

RealTracks in style: 386:Bass, Electric, Blues Chuck Sw 102
RealTracks in style: 385:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Blues Chuck Sw 102
RealTracks in song: ~675:Organ, B3, Background Blues Monday Sw 065
RealDrums: RealDrums in Style: NashvilleShuffle^13-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

My Vocal, Rhythm and Lead guitar.

https://soundcloud.com/tommyad/hurricane-blues

Hurricane Blues

There's some black clouds brewing in the eastern sky

I guess today is just as good as any day to die

I'll bet you might be thinking why do I talk this way

Everyday is one day closer to your judgement day

The hurricane will be howlin the wind feels like it's blowing right through your head

I' m in a tropical depression that's what the weatherman said

It's certainly gonna be an interesting day

There's gonna be total destruction if Mother Nature has her way

There's no sense denying the awful mood I'm in

Didn't think I was bipolar but now I'm wondering

The hurricane will be howlin the wind feels like it's blowing right through your head

I' m in a tropical depression that's what the weatherman said

©Thomas Adams 2014
Posted By: Scott C Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/16/14 07:18 PM
Excellent song. Guitar and voice superb as well
Posted By: rsdean Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/16/14 07:32 PM
Hey Tom,

Great! I love the Dr. John feel and groove on this one. Excellent all around.

Bob
Posted By: dani48 Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/16/14 09:28 PM
Hi, Tommy !:))

I am inclined to echo what
has been said before ! Just great !:))
Thumbs up Tommy !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/16/14 09:31 PM
Hey Tom...

Wow...we totally loved this! We're big fans of The Blues and you nailed it! There's nothing not to like...the guitar was more than special, the vocal perfect and the arrangement gives Dr. John Blues a healthy shot in the arm. Super musical treat here! Best to you,

Al & Di
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/16/14 09:32 PM
Nice dirty blues Tommy. Having flashbacks to '92 and Andrew. shocked

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/17/14 04:21 AM
Tom,

You just seem to be notching it up a bit on every song! A very clever idea, very well done. Excellent mix. A perfect selection of tracks. And a super job on the guitar parts. Your lead sings! A pleasure to listen to.

A good vocal - but I thought it was too "crisp" for this type of song. It needs a little grunge and to sit back in the mix a bit (a personal preference, of course). Like it should have been recorded with an old, crappy dynamic instead of a good mic... nothing against your vocal - it's good - too good maybe - more the "sound" of it...

Not to take away from the total package... it is EXCELLENT!

floyd
Posted By: MikeK Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/17/14 05:03 AM
Hey Tom, I think that's the first one of your tunes I've got the pleasure to hear. That's an awesome blues, with great vocals and leads. The only thing to mention (other than all the good), is that the song is mixed too hot... some distortion is heard where it should not be heard. Compressor, Limiter, whatever - just a tad too much.

BUT, I LOVE THE TUNE! smile
Posted By: tommyad Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/17/14 01:38 PM
Scott, Thanks for you kind comments.

Bob, I have always liked DJ. He's a great piano player and guitarist with one of a kind vocals. Saw him at a blues festival once .Awesome. Thanks for the comments.

Dani, Thanks for checking in on this one.

Al, Thanks for the generous review.

Bob, Andrew in 92 and Charley in '04 and Wilma in '05. Thanks for listening.

floyd, I agree on the vocal. I had a hard time finding the right level because I wanted the guitar fills hot. I may go back and find some different processing for the vocal when I remix. Thanks for your ever encouraging comments. I always look forward to what you have to say.

Mike, I agree with the distortion. especially on some tom tom fills. I intentionally mixed it in your face hot, but maybe I went overboard a bit. I will have to wait a few days and go back with fresh ears. Thanks for pointing this out. These kinds of comments are very helpful. Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/17/14 11:08 PM
The title caught our attention right off the bat. I played it in our recording room on the small monitors and WOW this is good stuff. I rounded up Janice and we went to our living room, settled in on the couch, streamed the song to our audio system, cranked it up and were knocked out. It a cool title, theme, lyric, blend of your pickin' and RT's, vocal and arrangement/production.

I'm down with the gritty in your face sound. I'll let y'all work out the distortion thing -- my ears are too shot and too old to hear when something goes beyond "for effect" distortion and into being over cooked. I do agree with floyd re the vocal -- grungier the better for this tune!

Fun listen and fits perfectly in with a lot of what we listen to. Thanks.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/17/14 11:27 PM
Wow, Tommy, that's great stuff! Thanks for the listen, my friend.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/17/14 11:35 PM
Hey Tom excellent Guitar Pickin and Sangin! Cool Lyrics!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/18/14 07:28 AM
This was worth another listen. Glad we did!!!!!
Posted By: gruverider Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/18/14 11:16 PM
loved the guitar lead! and very interesting progression here
Posted By: tommyad Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/19/14 01:41 PM
Janice & Bud, Thanks for your kind words and ongoing support.

Don & Tommy, Thanks for checking in on this one. I appreciate the comments.

Al, I must have done done something right to deserve two posts. Thanks Man!

Gruve, Glad you spotted that progression. I am trying to find different and interesting chords in the context of the blues. It's not as easy as you would think. Thanks for commenting. Tom
Posted By: Skyline Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/19/14 03:52 PM
Down and dirty Tommy, just like I need.
Love your playing and tone.

John
Posted By: tommyad Re: Hurricane Blues - 01/20/14 12:42 PM
John, Thanks for listening and commenting. I was hoping you'd find this, it's a style that you surely can relate to. Tom
© PG Music Forums