PG Music Home
Posted By: JoanneCooper Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/25/14 01:44 PM
Hallo Dad Hallo All

So, this year I am going to try write and record an album of "Stories from South African and other places".

One of the consequences of living in this beautiful land is "scattered families". The young are always leaving to seek greener pastures. I am sure it happens everywhere but here they seem to head off in their droves. It really is very sad.

This song is about a young girl who goes off to New York and Skypes home full of the excitement of life. As time goes on she starts to miss home but feels she cannot come back home and admit defeat.

Floyd helped me enormously with the production on this one, including recommending a completely new set of instruments (I would never have through to use the sax in the solo). Thanks Floyd. I appreciate it.

The instruments used are:
RealTracks in song: ~700:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1945:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GroovinFolk Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 378:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming DoubleTime Ev 088
RealTracks in song: 380:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Syncopated Sugar Ev 102
RealTracks in song: 2019:Sax, Tenor, Soloist PopCountryMark Ev 085
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleBrushesBalladPushEv16: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm
Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm CoolJazzPop Ev 085^^Rhythm^^Pop, Jazz^^ REPn0041.ST2
RealDrums-NashvilleOutlaw^02-Kick,KickSSt

Lyrics are on Soundcloud
Posted By: dani48 Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/25/14 02:28 PM
Hi, Josie ! :))

What a nice tune !:))
I loved it and most of
all the vocals and harmonies !:))
Just great Josie !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: boehm Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/25/14 02:56 PM
Hi Joanne,

nice tune and beautiful vocals and harmonies.

Guenter
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/25/14 03:32 PM
Good morning, Jo (at least it's morning in Oklahoma, lol)

This is just another jewel in your songwriter/lyricist crown. Another feather in your bonnet. You've been churning out so many greats that you are a veritable song-mill.

First off, I love your idea for an album theme. I'm imagining SA to be an endless source of lyrical stimulation and you have a knack for capturing it alive.

I was taken off guard when that beautiful sax outro started. It pulled me immediately back into the song. You certainly have mastered the RTs.

Agreed, the harmonies were perfectly executed, subtle but beautiful.

You have raised the bar yet again for all of us. Thank you, my friend.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/25/14 05:05 PM
Hi Josie..

I have to agree with your three previous reviewers...simply beautiful in every way. And yep, that Floyd is a master of BIAB...perhaps the best on these boards.

And your vocals are splendid! That was a musical treat...thanks for the great listen! Best to you...

Al and Di
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/25/14 06:34 PM
well done josieC great job very enjoyable listen thanks eric
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/25/14 07:59 PM
Went back for an nth listen then realized that I hadn't complimented your beautiful vox. Little friend, you are so wonderful. You are a walking advertisement for Street Jelly, you should be getting a commish. It certainly draws me black to check your schedule each time.

I'm probably a wee tad biased. I love your voice and, especially, the fact that you never forget to dedicate something to yours truly. If friendships can be measured, you are several furlongs out in front of the pack. You know that I love your voice (sans accent, until you speak, lol) and I've learned not to compare you to Bob Dylan, even obliquely.

Your voice was/is captivating, dear lady.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/25/14 10:45 PM
There truly is no place like home.
Our Son is about to depart for a new life in Australia, 10,000 miles from "home".
I hope to hear him call (often) and say "Hello Dad,Hello All".
Great track, Josie.
Very clever. Just wish in the last verse that she had gone home - but that just sentimental old me.
cheers
ian
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/25/14 11:42 PM
Josie, a really nice tune. I particularly liked the way the rhythm section followed the solo guitar lead in.

A really beautiful vocal and perfect harmonies, and using the sax solo as a lead-out was a great idea.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/26/14 03:12 AM
Very well done, vocal is superb, as is the mix! thanks for sharing!
Posted By: TerryB Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/26/14 03:43 AM
Very nice and catchy tune! Enjoyed the melody and the lyrics.

It still amazes me that in this great big world and so many different cultures the emotions of the human heart are always very similar and can be captured in a song.

Terry
Posted By: tommyad Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/26/14 04:04 AM
Josie, you must have written this on your trip. Very nice vocals and the mix sounds good. Keep them coming. Tom
Posted By: Scott C Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/26/14 01:28 PM
Awesome song. Loved the lyrics. Vocal was superb...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/26/14 02:23 PM
Joanne,

You did a great job on this!

A good write - thought-provoking AND a catchy chorus... A terrific mix... An interesting and satisfying listen...

Nice!

floyd
Posted By: olemon Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/26/14 03:09 PM
An easy flowing tune, well done. Those acoustic guitars you used fit the song perfectly. Great harmony, great vocal, loved the bridge.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/26/14 03:23 PM
Hi Dani – Thanks! I am glad you liked it. The harmonies are just the good old BIABettes. Sometimes they seem to work quite nicely and other times I find I need to sing them. I haven’t worked out when and why they sound okay and when and why they don’t!!

Hi Guenter – Thanks for the nice comments. When are we getting a new tune from you? We are all missing it.

Hi Don – thanks for your encouragement on the album theme. I must say I am finding quite a bit of inspiration just looking around me. The next song is called “South African Idol” which I cant wait to record but my blinking mixer is on the blink! Been in the shop for a week and I am starting to get impatient as I cant even go on Streetjelly without it. The sax outro is interesting isn’t it? Floyd suggested that.

Hi Al and Di – I agree that Floyd is the one of the best on this board. I always appreciate the input he gives me and feel I am learning a huge amount.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/26/14 03:26 PM
A well crafted lyric and a thought provoking lyric captured in an outstanding mix. Excellent!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/26/14 03:31 PM
Hi Eric – Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment.

Don – I am hoping to get back on Streetjelly soon. Bob Dylan is an amazing songwriter. I don’t think I could ever be compared to him! I read in his biography that he has written over 500 songs. I believe Kate Wolf wrote over 200. Practice, practice practice..

Hi Ian – So glad you liked it and am sad for you that your son is heading so far…Maybe worth a trip sometime? I am relatively lucky that my family has always remained in Southern Africa so we do get to see each other quite often.

Hi Video track – thanks so much for your compliments on the mixing and vocal. Appreciate it.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/26/14 03:40 PM
Hi Robert – Glad you liked it. Thanks.

TerryB – Glad you liked it and yes, I think the sentiments are so universal. This one goes back to the old “the grass is greener on the other side”

Tommy – Yes II wrote this while on my trip. I found I could write quite a few lyrics travelling in the car. And we did a lot of traveling (over 5000km). I did not have a rhyming dictionary which probably did me a whole heap of good because I had to use my brain. I found it very quick to put a chord progression and melody to a set of “finished” lyrics when I was in a position to pick up my guitar when we stopped for the night.

Scott – Thanks so much. Appreciate it.

Floyd – Thanks for your kind comments and for your help with the production on this one.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/26/14 03:44 PM
Hi Oleman – Thanks. I think the bridge does add another dimension because you think she is going home. Glad you also liked the guitars.

Bud and Janice – Coming from you guys that is a huge compliment. Thanks
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/26/14 03:58 PM
Originally Posted By: JosieC

Hi Ian – So glad you liked it and am sad for you that your son is heading so far…Maybe worth a trip sometime?

Thanks for your thoughts. You can bet on it, Josie!! Late 2015 or early 2016. We can get our own back on him for all his Uni free-loading. lol!!
Keep your music flowing.
Ian
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/26/14 11:33 PM
Josie,

I loved it from the time I heard you do it on SJ. This is my brand new JosieC favorite.

Great job lady!

Later,
Posted By: Sundance Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/27/14 02:51 AM
Sounds great Joanne. Sweet song. Good mix and love your vocal.

Josie
Posted By: jphillips Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/27/14 04:39 PM
Joanne:

Nice song. I like your harmonies and the story line.

I'm looking forward to hearing more in the series.

John
Posted By: boehm Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/27/14 05:50 PM
Hi Joanne,

> When are we getting a new tune from you? We are all missing it.>

you just missed my latest one.

Guenter
Posted By: Summer Russell Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/27/14 07:41 PM
You have taken a universal sentiment and expressed it beautifully, and at the same time you've paid tribute to your home in a way that is heartfelt and real. I think the best songs are the ones that are rooted in personal experience, but also capable of touching the hearts of people from different backgrounds and different places. You have certainly succeeded here.

I was especially impressed by the emotional progression with each chorus, from cheerful optimism to aching homesickness to near-despair. And through it all, there are the ties that bind, the love of home and family that keep us connected to the story. Well done and thank you for sharing this.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/28/14 06:23 AM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Joanne,

> When are we getting a new tune from you? We are all missing it.>

you just missed my latest one.

Guenter

Ah...found it! Will take a listen when I get home from work...my work internet blocks all listening to music. Smucks....
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/28/14 06:28 AM
Josie – Thanks for your kind comments as always.

DannyC – Ditto above. And thanks so much for the continued support on the jelly. I really appreciate it.

John – Thanks. Keep tuned for more. I have another 4 written and ready to record..Soon…

Summer – Thanks so much for your thoughtful and encouraging comments. I appreciate it and am glad that you picked up exactly what I was trying to portray in the song. I wondered about using the Afrikaans phrase “Ons is miss vir jou” but I think it works and your comments have confirmed that. Thanks
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/28/14 10:23 AM
Hi Joanne,

What a great listen! Every time I listen to one of your new works, I think, "I like this. Josie's done another great job." This one is no exception. You're really getting the hang home production these days.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/29/14 10:08 AM
Thanks Noel. I appreciate your comments. I am enjoying the home production process and learning all the time
Posted By: MarioD Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 01/29/14 09:04 PM
JosieC you should be very proud of this one. This is your best to date IMHO, however that will probably change right after your next post!

You mix is perfect, your vocals are always perfect and the instrument selection fits like a glove. I agree that Floyd is a pro.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 02/01/14 03:12 AM
Really nice stuff! Emotional and powerful! Keep up the good work. Take care. Greg
Posted By: olemon Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 02/01/14 04:01 PM
I've been humming parts of this melody for days:)
Posted By: gruverider Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 02/01/14 11:49 PM
just love the chorus!!

the lyric and melody and vibe, and the use of a second language here really adds a depth to the character of the dad

much enjoyed!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 02/05/14 06:12 AM
Hi Mario - Thank you so much for your kind comments. I do hope you will enjoy to the rest of the series.

Greg- Thanks for you kind comments.

Oleman - Glad it sticks in your head!

Lawrence - I really appreciate the comments. Thanks

By the way for anybody following this thread, I have done a video but I am not too sure if I like it or not.....

The shots of me playing are too static. For this video I recorded the vocal while recording the video so that lining up was not such a mission. Any comments are appreciated!! Hallo Dad Hallo All on Youtube
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 02/05/14 04:32 PM
Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
SD
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Hallo Dad Hallo All - 02/05/14 04:44 PM
Something for Dr Gannon to know...Peter, Josie C sold a complete Everything Pak during her show yesterday. She is one awesome lady who doesn't forget her friends.
© PG Music Forums