PG Music Home
Posted By: olemon Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/16/14 09:28 PM
No perfection here...just messing around with a mix and decided to share.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12688209

The cabin is still in the family, 50 yrs old this summer. I was there in August and came back determined to finish this song. Had most of the chorus for a long time. There's an acoustic version on Soundcloud. You can hear the aquarium water pump in the background on that one.

Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake

By Scott H. Olson
Copyright © 2013

I don’t recall the year
Grandpa bought the land
But I remember to this day
How it felt to stand

On that solid ground
By that rocky shore
The colors and the sounds
Grandma waving from the door

Of that little cabin up on Big Stone Lake
I see it in my mind
A little piece of heaven in the corner of the state
You could leave the world behind
Down the hill, in the still, of the cottonwoods
Treasured memories await
There will always be a path for me to take
To that little cabin up on Big Stone Lake

Strong hearts, steady hands
Out of love built with pride
It stood through every storm
On the bank, South Dakota side

Walleyes in the spring
Mallards in the fall
The summers in between
Tell their stories on the walls

Of that little cabin up on Big Stone Lake
I see it in my mind
A little piece of heaven in the corner of the state
It’s not hard to find
Down the hill, in the still, of the cottonwoods
Treasured memories await
There will always be a path for me to take
To that little cabin up on Big Stone Lake

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Untitled Song
Style is BIG+.STY (Aggressive Country Rock+)

RealTracks in song: ~592:Bass,
665:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm SouthernRock Ev 085 (B:Strum)
1608:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16ths Ev16 110
1947:Mandolin, Rhythm PopModernGrooveAndy Ev16 075
RealDrums NashvilleEven8^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open
Posted By: Scott C Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/16/14 11:48 PM
Very nice song. Excellent vocal
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/17/14 12:32 AM
That's some pretty nice "messing around" there. Nice voice, and nice song. Great sentiments.

Steve
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/17/14 02:42 PM
Scott, This is very well sung. The real tracks sound just right. Very nice song. I enjoyed it. Tom
Posted By: boehm Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/17/14 05:01 PM
Hi Scott,
Originally Posted By: tommyad
This is very well sung. The real tracks sound just right. Very nice song. I enjoyed it.

So did I.

Guenter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/17/14 08:37 PM
Scott,

Nice one. Just the right grouping of instruments for the song.
"Walleyes in the spring
Mallards in the fall
The summers in between"
... nice imagery... And a well written chorus.

Terrific vocal.

floyd
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/17/14 08:53 PM
I want to just mess around with a mix, very well done; thanks for sharing! Excellent lyrics, and performance!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/17/14 08:55 PM
I like story songs that take you back.... good job.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/18/14 02:08 PM
Vivid imagery -- which is IMO essential to this type of song. These songs of cherished memories are one of my favorites...sad that we so rarely hear them nowadays. It all works. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: olemon Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/18/14 06:31 PM
Scott, Steve, Tommy, Guenter, Robert, Floyd, Herb, Janice & Bud,

Thanks for the listen and for those generous comments:) I had resolved not to post another song until it was as good as I could make it...well, I may have fallen off the wagon before I got on, so thanks for overlooking the bad notes:)

I'm very happy you found the story and the lyrics meaningful. This one is a bit personal, as I was writing it for my folks, siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles. I was hoping to give them a couple of images that would key their memories, and then they could fill in their own stories. My Grandparents are gone now, but if there's a heaven, there's a lake cabin there, and that's where they are too. Take care.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/18/14 07:16 PM
Hi Scott
I enjoyed that very much. As mentioned already the lyrics are full of images which make it easy for us to picture the little cabin. Well done
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/18/14 08:27 PM
Scott, what a stunning voice/vocal. As others have already said, the imagery you have painted in words is so beautiful. I could visualize both the cabin and the lake.

I was fortunate enough to have such a picturesque spot at my Aunt Bessie's (Elizabeth's) farm in the Minnesota "Nort' Woods." Your story has breathed new life into my childhood memories. Thank you.

This one goes directly into my "Keeper" folder. I'm ready for your next offering.

Very well done all around.

Btw, our beloved Macster would say: "Don't point out your mistakes. They don't exist until they're spotted." Also, Chet Atkins is oft quoted as saying: "All of my mistakes are intentional!"
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/18/14 11:02 PM
I took the liberty of forwarding the SoundClick link to Hayley Oliver who was recently nominated Best Country Female Vocalist In Britain by BCMA. I don't know if the lyrics will withstand a gender change but if anyone could add to the mix, Hayley certainly could. She loved your song, btw.

We'll see what develops.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/18/14 11:13 PM
Hi, Scott !:))

I guess most have already been said,
just wanted to add that I just loved your
tune and your vocal that fits it perfectly !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Digital Angel Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/18/14 11:39 PM
Scott this one reminds me of when I'm watching the Walton's with my family and everything is just so simple.

Your a Great Songwriter!

DA...
Posted By: olemon Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/19/14 12:46 AM
Josie, Dani, DA,

I don't know what to say. Thank you so much!

Don,

I'm elated that you like the song, and I am stunned by your selfless act!

I feel like my lips are moving, but I'm not saying anything. Like my fingers are typing, but no letters are appearing on the screen. At least none that can properly express my gratitude. Thank you!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/19/14 01:45 AM
Scott,

Unfortunately, one can't take the best of intentions to the bank. I have several major artists as friends of 50+ years and I've called in some very old IOUs for the benefit of my PG Music friends.

Having done that, we are now in a "Holding Pattern" which is probably the most difficult phase, at least for me.

I also sent your SoundClick link to Nokie Edwards of "Ventures" fame and a recent inductee to the R&R Hall Of Fame. Our timing is atrocious because Nokie is presently in Japan cutting a new album. He probably will be there through mid-March.

I chatted with Hayley Oliver today and, having just released a brand new album this past December, she won't be looking for new material any time soon but she loved your song. That's certainly a plus.

Here's my blind Brit songbird singing "I'm A Little Bluer Than That". Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/WWKMJ6NiBVE
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/19/14 01:50 AM
Great Country feel, complemented by colorful and interesting lyrics, and superb vocal delivery. Nice.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/19/14 03:31 AM
Nice feel! Great lyrical images!! Good work all around. Take care. Greg
Posted By: olemon Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/19/14 04:11 AM
Don,

She certainly is a songbird. I heard her before on Soundclick I think.

The Ventures! I mentioned them on someone's post the other day. This is too much.

And no illusions here. I am just thrilled to know that you and others consider my songs worthy.

Guitarhacker recommended BIAB and told me this was a songwriter friendly place, but I had no idea:)
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/19/14 10:31 AM
Hi Scott,

I really enjoyed listening to "Little Cabin". As others have already noted, the images are unfold beautifully and vividly. How I wish that my 'messing around' could produce something of this quality!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/19/14 11:55 AM
Scott,

Love this. Makes me want to get up to that cabin and catch some walleye!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/19/14 05:06 PM
I am very fortunate to have Hayley as a close friend. If you ever need your sinuses flushed, just listen to her sing "What Color Is The Wind?"

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=3834635&q=hi&newref=1

At the ripe old age of seven years, Hayley mesmerized her audience at Royal Albert Hall in London. She was born blind when her irises failed to develop in the womb.

She has been nominated for Best Female Country Singer In Britain by BCMA and, although she didn't win (this time) it was a tremendous honor, nonetheless.

Kind of funny but her greatest thrill was to be picked up at home by two "sweet smelling" guys then chauffeured to the awards ceremony then returned home afterward.

If I sound like a proud poppa when discussing Hayley and Josie C, it's because I am extremely proud of my girls. "Girls" in the most respectful, affectionate sense of the word.

Josie Beck reminded me that a blind female has never been on the top rung in the Country genre. A worthwhile goal for Hayley to shoot for.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/20/14 09:19 PM
Scott,

Or should I say neighbor . . . I loved everything about this song from lyric, to production to performance.

Great job man!

Later
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/21/14 02:23 AM
Scott, Hayley listened and gave you 5 stars. She won't be looking for material until Fall. At least you have a foot in the door...she now knows your name.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/21/14 07:28 AM
Hi Scott...

You've given "messing around' a real nice name! Sounds great to me. A nice movie playing in my mind as I listen. When you quit messing around and get serious, I'll just put my axe back in the case and say, "I know when to shut up and listen".

Loved my listen!

Al & Di
Posted By: olemon Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/21/14 12:48 PM
Trevor, Greg, Noel, Bob, Danny, Al & Di,

I'm overwhelmed by your kind words. Al & Di, hope all is well.

Perhaps I should qualify 'messing around'.

I had the BIAB tracks in Sonar and then recorded an acoustic guitar track and a vocal. I recently got Nectar for harmony and wanted to try it on this tune. I started editing and mixing. Usually I'm fighting the mix, but this one seemed to come together fairly quick and I thought, 'Let me stop right here and see what the people think'. And then you knocked me out!
Posted By: olemon Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake - 02/21/14 12:55 PM
Don,

How cool is that? Can't thank you enough. When my feet are back on the ground I need to get busy writing and recording some more songs!

Take care amigo.
© PG Music Forums