PG Music Home
Posted By: cubanpete New song - 03/28/14 12:58 AM
Hi friends, here's my latest, a kind of slow Bossa with Blues overtones. I hope you like it. As always, comments are welcome. Don't be shy.
http://yourlisten.com/Ballara/nothing-but-feelings

Stats are:Style is _BNGGRSL.STY (SlowBossa w/Pno & Ny.Guit (85RS))
MelodyCustom Synth is Addictive keys

RealTracks in song: 1901:Bass, Baby, Bolero Ev 090
RealTracks in style: ~714:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Bossa Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~1103:Guitar, Nylon, Rhythm BossaGrooveComp Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1594:Fiddle, Background Pop16ths Ev 065 (Outside)
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2233:Piano, Soloist TexasBluesRockSlow12-8John Sw 060
RealTracks in song: 1364:Fiddle, Soloist GypsyJazzBallad Sw 110
RealDrums in Song: BossaLewis^05-a:Brushes Swirl HiHat , b:SdStckRd
Posted By: dani48 Re: New song - 03/28/14 08:33 AM
Hi, Mike !

I´m not shy, and I liked your
tune. The fiddle really gave it
a gypsy jazz feeling and the tune
exuded feelings all over the place !
For a moment I was traveling to
another place and time maybe to
a smoky night club somewhere in
a country from the hotter regions
of our globe ! I could imagine
myself soul dancing to this tune
in the dimmed light of the venue !
Thank you Mike for taking me on
that trip !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Skyline Re: New song - 03/28/14 10:30 AM
Very cool cool A very enjoyable listen.
The mix is perfect, with the piano pushed back by some reverb, and the violin just right. Great production, nicely done!

John
Posted By: boehm Re: New song - 03/28/14 04:17 PM
Hi Mike,

great production.
A very enjoyable listen.
I like the mix of styles.

Guenter
Posted By: aleck rand Re: New song - 03/28/14 10:51 PM
Hey Mike,

My turn now. Fiddle sounds super - you could easily fool me into thinking it's Grappelli. I'm continuing to listen to the fiddle fireworks and now the piano with the arpeggiated octaves comes back. There's where the problem is: the piano's got a "gargling" quality to it. I noticed it at the very beginning. Is that your keyboard?

Song just ended and a bit too abruptly, I think. Overall, the tune has a nice, loping motion and the idea of using the violin is just terrific.

Well, that's how we get better. Take it from a guy who's been beating his brains out - with your help, of course - to get Martin Jones to sound right. Perhaps you could go back and give a listen to yet the latest mix and hopefully tell me that I didn't make it even worse!

Dean
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song - 03/29/14 01:05 AM
Feels great!! Love the progression and the vibe!! Another cool listen! Take care. Greg
Posted By: cubanpete Re: New song - 03/29/14 01:14 AM
Thank you guys! I'm humbled by the nice comments coming from people whom I respect very much for the talent and creativity.
Dean, I noticed the same thing on the piano and the drums also have a strange sound at the beginning of the song. I think it all happened at the time of the upload, because I double checked and it sound fine from the original wav. file. I might try to re-load it and see what happens.
Dani, I'm glad I was able to take you on that trip!

Regards.

Mike B.
Posted By: Al-David Re: New song - 03/31/14 08:37 AM
Hi Mike...

Loved this piece! Blues and Bossa are two of our very favorite genres. Nice combo! And that Gypsy Jazz fiddle was sweet!

And yeah, we've had problems with endings at one time or another. That's one of the few blatant problems with BIAB. We've tried extending the endings, having them start early...all kinds of things. It usually doesn't help much. frown

Other than that, this was super! Nicely done! Best to you...

Al & Di
Posted By: cubanpete Re: New song - 03/31/14 03:58 PM
Thanks Al & Di, yes, the endings are almost unpredictable, some of them work fine and some do not so good. Sometimes I'm able to end the song with a shot and a cymbal crash or something that might sound natural and it works. The other work around is to fade the song at the end, but that sounds to me like "the easy way out", not meaning to criticize those who do it, but I just don't like doing it that way. I think it is a matter of what style one use. Not sure. Any way, thanks for the comments.

Mike B.
Posted By: RichMac Re: New song - 03/31/14 10:04 PM
Very smooth. Love the fiddle. Loads of style. Cheers.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New song - 04/08/14 08:32 AM
Hi Mike,

This song is a very nice listen. You got my round of applause.

When you uploaded to Soundcloud, did you upload an mp3 or a wav? I've found that if I upload mp3s, after Soundcloud has re-compressed the file, things can sound garbled.

Overall, good stuff!!!
Noel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New song - 04/08/14 01:10 PM
Really nice mix. And, one of the few mixes of even and swing feel RT's that I've heard here that seems to work. There's typically to my ears a lot of tension with mixing ev's and sw's. The fiddle works extremely well in a context that I'd predict that it would not. The ending sounded more truncated than planned but I could get used to it. Enjoyed the tune!
Posted By: tommyad Re: New song - 04/08/14 02:24 PM
Mike, Sounds good. The piano does sound a little wobbly, the fiddle is perfect. Nice job on the mix. Very enjoyable. Tom
Posted By: Blues1952 Re: New song - 04/08/14 04:54 PM
Very nice.
You've done a lot better with the 12/8 piano Real Track than I have.
When I use that real track it comes out very artificial sounding and very repetitious. Any thoughts?
Love the fiddle too!
Posted By: cubanpete Re: New song - 04/08/14 11:29 PM
Hi Blues, thanks for the comments; I'm not sure what I might have done to make it sound (the piano) better other than I tried several takes until I found one that I liked, then again I do this for most of my songs, I also use Addictive keys for a lot of my piano parts ether melody or accompaniment. To me is one of the best sounding piano VST out there. I just re-posted the song on Soundcloud as a wav file. Some fellows has found it so sound "gargle" like. I hope this one sounds better.

Regards

Mike B.
© PG Music Forums