PG Music Home
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Miss America - 04/15/14 12:57 PM
Another original reprise from around 1970. I updated the instrumentation to be more of a bluegrass tune than the original acoustic style but kept the chord progression the same. The tune ran a bit long as I continue to play with BIAB structure and learn its in and out's but hopefully some can make it to the end of the song. I must really commend the developers at PG Music, they have a really good product here and I am really enjoying myself with it.

https://soundcloud.com/charlie-fogle/miss-america

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Miss America

Key=E , Tempo 96, Length (m:s)=5:47

Style is _DOCBGMS.STY (Slow Bluegr. Mand. Solo (100 RS))

RealTracks in style: ~592:Bass, Acoustic Bluegrass Doc Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 590:Banjo, Bluegrass Doc Ev 100 (Rhythm - Simple)
RealTracks in style: ~598:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Bluegrass Doc Ev 100
RealTracks in style: ~820:Mandolin Soloist Bluegrass Ev 100
MIDI Drums :1 Standard Drum Kit (1)
'b' substyle patches :
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Miss America - 04/15/14 02:28 PM
Charlie,

A good production and mix on this one. The vocal has a nice comfortable feel to it and the harmonies work well.

As you noted, it is long. You wouldn't be the first one around here to become enamored with the joy of RealTracks - a lot of people do that - particularly those who use these type - fiddle, banjo, guitar, dobro - it is easy to "want it all". In this case, you could have left off all the lead playing at the end and faded the banjo from about 3:20-3:40. The leads are nicely done, though - and, of course, a personal choice. But - nothing wrong with limiting those instruments to 1 or 2 to feature... then do another song! to feature the fiddle and guitar!...

Well done.

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: Miss America - 04/15/14 02:58 PM
Hi Charlie,

nice production.
Good vocals and harmonies.
I agree with Floyd on the length.

Guenter
Posted By: Scott C Re: Miss America - 04/15/14 07:14 PM
Very cool song. I just love the banjo and mandolin together. Reminds me of Levon Helms
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Miss America - 04/15/14 08:38 PM
Nice tune! Nice feel! Very organic sound. Really dig it!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: dani48 Re: Miss America - 04/15/14 08:52 PM
Hi, Charlie !:))

Very nice tune indeed !:))
I enjoyed it too very much.
The banjo is really quite
a fascinating instrument !:))
I do agree with you regarding BIAB !
Absolutely super !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Miss America - 04/16/14 01:43 PM
Charlie,

Sounds good. Yes, BIAB is an amazing program! You are picking up well on it. I do agree with Floyd's advise for you. Thanks for sharing this.

Steve
Posted By: Blues1952 Re: Miss America - 04/16/14 07:30 PM
Nice work. I really like the chorus.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Miss America - 04/17/14 02:57 AM
Thanks Floyd, Guenter, Steve, Scott, Dani, Greg and Blues1952 for listening and I appreciate each of you taking time to comment.
Posted By: Skyline Re: Miss America - 04/18/14 03:02 PM
Excellent work. Nice maj/min changes and very well arranged and mixed, and a cool chorus. A very enjoyable listen!

John
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Miss America - 04/18/14 07:59 PM
I like the changes and instrumentation. Good mix to go with it. I played in bluegrass bands for 30 years and we never did a 5 minute song....so I tend to agree with the above comments regarding the length. Nice work!
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Miss America - 04/19/14 12:57 PM
hi c fogle this great tune vocal could be a little louder very engaging great mix thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: Sundance Re: Miss America - 04/22/14 04:01 AM
Hi C,

+1 to what's already been said.

Good job. Like that earthy sound it really fits the song. I'd cut down the length and bring up the vocals a hair.

Enjoyed it.

Josie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Miss America - 04/22/14 02:15 PM
Thanks for all your comments and looks like a re-mix is in order. I knew I was going a bit long with the song but was having way too much fun! This version sort of carried me back to my family's roots in Bluegrass which at the time, we called it Hillbilly music.
Posted By: olemon Re: Miss America - 04/26/14 03:13 PM
I agree with Josie and others regarding the duration. The vocals in the verse could come up, but other than that I find the mix to be just right.
© PG Music Forums