PG Music Home
Posted By: olemon Swamp People - 05/17/14 05:58 PM
Inspired by the Tv Show, http://www.history.com/shows/swamp-people

Okay, I toyed with harmony, but am torn about that. This version is void of any. To get the musical feel I wanted, I used RT's at half-tempo. I hope it worked. Thanks for listening.

https://soundcloud.com/blushasta-music/swamp-people

Drums are EZ Drummer Americana, me on guitar with Guitar Rig 4.

518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
578:Harmonica, Background Blues BB Ev 085
382:Guitar, Slide, Background Blues Ev 085

SWAMP PEOPLE

Copyright 2014 by Scott H. Olson

Verse

We were here long before man
We done our part in nature's plan
Way on down in the cypress swamp
Spent our days doin' like we want

Climb

But lately we been thinkin'
Somethin' just ain't right
With the city slickers and the camera crews
Every day and night

Chorus

Swamp people what'd we ever do to you
Swamp people, can't we get along in the same bayou
You took my kin, you're huntin' me
I don't ever wanna' go on tv
Swamp people, what'd we ever do to you

Verse

Was a time we ain't forgot
We were in an awful spot
You brought us back from the brink
Weren't for you I might be extinct

Climb

But lately we been thinkin'
We cannot survive
The cable tv audience
That likes to watch us die

Repeat Chorus
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Swamp People - 05/17/14 06:32 PM
Nice production Olemon, enjoy it very much.

Mike B.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Swamp People - 05/17/14 07:51 PM
Good job. Enjoyed the song.

Charlie
Posted By: olemon Re: Swamp People - 05/17/14 10:52 PM
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Nice production Olemon, enjoy it very much.

Mike B.

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Good job. Enjoyed the song.

Charlie

Thanks for the listens. After loading to Soundcloud, the mix sounded harsh to me, too much high-end and/or excitation, I made an adjustment and the link is to the updated version.
Posted By: RichMac Re: Swamp People - 05/17/14 11:08 PM
Enjoyed that. Nice mellow vocal and the RT's work suprisingly well on half speed. Cheers.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Swamp People - 05/17/14 11:46 PM
I liked this one the 1st time I heard it Scott, great job!

Later,
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Swamp People - 05/18/14 02:52 AM
Really love the feel of this one. Tracks and arrangement work great!! Vocal too! Harmony might work-would be interesting to try. Fun listen! Take care. Greg
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Swamp People - 05/18/14 02:08 PM
Dig this one Scott. Love that dirty guitar.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: boehm Re: Swamp People - 05/18/14 04:31 PM
Hi Scott,

nice production. Like the guitar.
Enjoyed listening.

Guenter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Swamp People - 05/18/14 08:41 PM
Scott,

I really like this. A solid write. I kept imagine a video of alligators singing (can you arrange that?).

The guitars are nice! the mix is good. And a good vocal. I don't think the drums are up to par with everything else. They sound programmed - and are distracting because of that. This is too good to allow that to happen. Hard for me to believe that a RealDrum wouldn't work better for this - there are so many to chose from.

Very enjoyable song.

floyd
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Swamp People - 05/18/14 08:56 PM
Well put together tune, I think you got the sound you were after. I just read Floyd's comments on the drums -- yea, try a realdrum or two. Do you have a compressor on the main buss? I think you need one to "glue" everything together. Good tune and performance. The 1/2 speed RT's sound fine to me.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Swamp People - 05/18/14 09:08 PM
A winner, Scott. You definitely aced the "dirty guitar" vibe. Nice production all around.

Yeah, singing, dancing alligators would push this way over the top.

Thanks for posting.

You have a very listenable voice.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Swamp People - 05/18/14 11:13 PM
Hi Scott !:))

This must be one of your best !
I like your vocal as I usually do !:))
Really enjoyable !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Al-David Re: Swamp People - 05/19/14 12:22 AM
Hi Scott ...

Love the dirty guitar, like everyone else. The lyric and vocal match the music very nicely ... good prosody. I do feel a Real Drum track would probably enhance this, but I'm not as distracted by it as Floyd was. Very nice in indeed.

I have one called "Midnight In The Swamp" that's much different than this one. Might add a BIAB or RT to it so I can post it here.

Enjoyed the listen!!!

Al and Di
Posted By: tommyad Re: Swamp People - 05/19/14 12:15 PM
Scott, This is a good write. The real tracks are well mixed and your guitar sounds good. The vocal is once again excellent. I listened the other day and didn't get a chance to comment. The thing I was going to say was why not real drums? Keep writing and recording. It's working. Tom
Posted By: RnAM Re: Swamp People - 05/19/14 12:58 PM
Hi,
We listened to Swamp people and we like the sound, especially the slide guitar. Original lyrics!
Although recorded in half time as you mentioned, the real tracks behave pretty well.
Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: olemon Re: Swamp People - 05/19/14 02:36 PM
Hey folks, thanks for listening. I'll respond to your comments later, but to clarify and explain the drums. I bring RT's into Sonar X for mixing.

The BiaB song, the RT's, are at 78 bpm, but the drums are double that at 156 bpm. I said the RT were at half tempo, but I didn't actually do that in BiaB (maybe you can, I'm not sure).

So, I started to make another BiaB song just for the Real Drums, another .sgu file, at 156 bpm with either 8 beats per measure or with twice the measures, but I knew I could do that easily in Sonar with the other drum instruments I have there.

So, I had a Sonar project at 156 in 8/4 with EZ Drummer, and I imported RTs at 78 in 4/4. After that, I recorded my guitar and vocal in Sonar.

Why am I hearing the voice of my computer science professor, who scoffed, 'Well, that's one way I suppose...'
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Swamp People - 05/19/14 09:11 PM
funny tune! Nice production and vocal. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Swamp People - 05/20/14 10:58 AM
Hi Scott

I listened to this a while back but am only just getting round to commenting now. Great song, great mix and the vocal is outstanding as usual. Love those low notes...
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Swamp People - 05/20/14 12:26 PM
What they all said. Cool lyric/vocal, great guitar and the modified tempo RTs worked surprisingly well. A nice enjoyable production!!
Posted By: olemon Re: Swamp People - 05/20/14 03:59 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Enjoyed that. Nice mellow vocal and the RT's work suprisingly well on half speed.
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
I liked this one the 1st time I heard it Scott, great job!

Later,
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really love the feel of this one. Tracks and arrangement work great!! Vocal too! Harmony might work-would be interesting to try. Fun listen! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Dig this one Scott. Love that dirty guitar.
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Scott,
nice production. Like the guitar.
Enjoyed listening.

Thanks guys, for listening and for your kind remarks. Like I've said before, if somebody likes my songs I am a happy camper:) So, that's Happy^5.

Btw, the acoustic guitar is tuned Drop D, which I'm sure you picked up on, and then I just added Guitar Rig to the track to get some distortion.
Posted By: olemon Re: Swamp People - 05/20/14 04:13 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Scott,

I really like this. A solid write. I kept imagine a video of alligators singing (can you arrange that?).

The guitars are nice! the mix is good. And a good vocal. I don't think the drums are up to par with everything else. They sound programmed - and are distracting because of that. This is too good to allow that to happen. Hard for me to believe that a RealDrum wouldn't work better for this - there are so many to chose from.

Very enjoyable song.

floyd

Very pleased indeed, aside from the drums, that the mix is where it should be and that you like the song. I set the bass fairly high on this one:) I posted about the drums. I don't know that much about BiaB and RB...I just recently realized you could modify the RD's per measure - think it was in another post you were explaining to someone else. I'll revisit this with RD and see what I can do. I get impatient, write the song, record the song, edit, mix, post, next! Thank you Floyd, for all of your comments and suggestions.

Oh, regarding singing gators, watch for a video I'll link to in Off-Topic.

Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
Well put together tune, I think you got the sound you were after. I just read Floyd's comments on the drums -- yea, try a realdrum or two. Do you have a compressor on the main buss? I think you need one to "glue" everything together. Good tune and performance. The 1/2 speed RT's sound fine to me.

Thank you Kevin. Yeah, I am compressing the main bus, but not very much so perhaps it could stand some more squashing.
Posted By: olemon Re: Swamp People - 05/20/14 04:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
A winner, Scott. You definitely aced the "dirty guitar" vibe. Nice production all around.

Yeah, singing, dancing alligators would push this way over the top.

Thanks for posting.

You have a very listenable voice.

Thank you, Amigo!

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi Scott !:))
This must be one of your best !
I like your vocal as I usually do !:))
Really enjoyable !

Cheers
Dani

You're the kind one Dani:) I appreciate it sir.
Posted By: olemon Re: Swamp People - 05/20/14 04:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Scott ...

Love the dirty guitar, like everyone else. The lyric and vocal match the music very nicely ... good prosody. I do feel a Real Drum track would probably enhance this, but I'm not as distracted by it as Floyd was. Very nice in indeed.

I have one called "Midnight In The Swamp" that's much different than this one. Might add a BIAB or RT to it so I can post it here.

Enjoyed the listen!!!

Al and Di

Gosh Al, thank you so much! Would you believe one the first songs I started to write, I was prolly 16 and living in the Midwest mind you, was something about a 'Bayou Party'. I just recently remembered that:) Looking forward to your swamp tune.
Posted By: olemon Re: Swamp People - 05/20/14 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Scott, This is a good write. The real tracks are well mixed and your guitar sounds good. The vocal is once again excellent. I listened the other day and didn't get a chance to comment. The thing I was going to say was why not real drums? Keep writing and recording. It's working. Tom

Tom,

I don't know if you realize how much you helped me with mixing! Thank you. And thanks for the compliments too:)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Swamp People - 05/20/14 05:28 PM
Originally Posted By: olemon
This is too good to allow that to happen. Hard for me to believe that a RealDrum wouldn't work better for this - there are so many to chose from.

I don't know that much about BiaB and RB...I just recently realized you could modify the RD's per measure - think it was in another post you were explaining to someone else. I'll revisit this with RD and see what I can do. I get impatient........

Scott - and anyone else reading this....

You owe it to yourself to spend some time listening through the drum choices. In the RealDrum selection screen, double-click a drum set - you'll get a preview - turn the band off so you hear just the drums... on many, you can double-click the variations (on the right side) and hear what each of those sound like (there are some that don't have demos, but MANY do)... The choices are PHENOMENAL. Then as you find ones that might work with what you are doing, try them out in your song. They can make a HUGE difference - and when you find the "just right" one... oh, man.... I like to do it with JUST the bass playing along. If you can get the bass/drum combination to sound right for a song, heck...you're almost done - so that time spent is really important. I urge you strongly...take the time required to listen through one day - you'll be amazed... I know I took far too long to learn this lesson - and regret that...
Posted By: MarioD Re: Swamp People - 05/21/14 02:50 AM
Oleman you’re a happy camper and so am I for listening!

I really like your guitar work in this one as well as your vocals and lyrics, super job on that. You mix was top notch also.

I do agree about the drums and RealDrums may be one alternative however another alternative would be MIDI drums. You have Sonar so you have Additive drums as well as EZ Drummer. Many of BiaB drums parts will work with both, plus there are many available MIDI drum parts out there. I like MIDI drums as you can easily make them do what you want them to do. A disclaimer here: I am not against RDs and in fact use them occasionally myself. I’m just suggesting another option.

This is a really good song and with a better drummer it would be over the top for me.
Posted By: olemon Re: Swamp People - 05/23/14 01:56 PM
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi,
We listened to Swamp people and we like the sound, especially the slide guitar. Original lyrics!
Although recorded in half time as you mentioned, the real tracks behave pretty well.
Rob & Anne-Marie

Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
funny tune! Nice production and vocal. Thanks for sharing!

R & AM, Pg,

Appreciate the listens and those comments:)

Scott - and anyone else reading this....

You owe it to yourself to spend some time listening through the drum choices. I know I took far too long to learn this lesson - and regret that...

I have been doing just that Floyd...thanks for the motivation. I haven't found a drum groove that I like as much as the EZ kit yet, the Nashville Skip RD is close though. However, I've learned quite a lot about Real Drums in the process. Still working on it....

Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hi Scott

I listened to this a while back but am only just getting round to commenting now. Great song, great mix and the vocal is outstanding as usual. Love those low notes...

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
What they all said. Cool lyric/vocal, great guitar and the modified tempo RTs worked surprisingly well. A nice enjoyable production!!

Josie, Janice and Bud,

I value your feedback and those comments mean a great deal to me:)

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Oleman you’re a happy camper and so am I for listening!

I really like your guitar work in this one as well as your vocals and lyrics, super job on that. You mix was top notch also.

I do agree about the drums and RealDrums may be one alternative however another alternative would be MIDI drums. You have Sonar so you have Additive drums as well as EZ Drummer. Many of BiaB drums parts will work with both, plus there are many available MIDI drum parts out there. I like MIDI drums as you can easily make them do what you want them to do. A disclaimer here: I am not against RDs and in fact use them occasionally myself. I’m just suggesting another option.

This is a really good song and with a better drummer it would be over the top for me.

Hey Mario. So glad you like the song! I hear you on the drums. Both the AD and Session Drummer have so much rock stuff, I could never find beats I liked. The groove I found in EZD worked, I thought, but perhaps I can make it sound less distracting if not RD. I appreciate all of your comments. See you around Street Jelly:)
Posted By: Digital Angel Re: Swamp People - 05/23/14 09:41 PM
Nice change up from the usual.

So you started out with RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride (Tempo 156)

Measures 1-16 SideStick, HiHat

Measures 17-32 Snare, HiHat

and that was the bed, then you went and tried to match that with Toontrack's?

The setup above tracks perfect to the song, but the breaks in the middle measures after the second set of 16 are the tricky part, is this why you left the RT and went for midi with Drummer?
Posted By: olemon Re: Swamp People - 05/24/14 09:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Digital Angel
Nice change up from the usual.

So you started out with RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride (Tempo 156)

Measures 1-16 SideStick, HiHat

Measures 17-32 Snare, HiHat

and that was the bed, then you went and tried to match that with Toontrack's?

The setup above tracks perfect to the song, but the breaks in the middle measures after the second set of 16 are the tricky part, is this why you left the RT and went for midi with Drummer?

Thanks for all of that Eric:) I uploaded a Real Drum version with Nashville Skip^01 SideStick, Ride. The original link will take you there, but here it is also:

https://soundcloud.com/blushasta-music/swamp-people
Posted By: Digital Angel Re: Swamp People - 05/24/14 11:44 PM
Nice job working on a real life producers quandary, when asked to change something and thinking I rather go fishing than rack my brains working on drum parts in BIAB.

I truly commend you for pushing the envelope and perhaps even learning a little more on how tricky it is to get the drummer to quit texting while playing:)

Your awesome!

DA...
Posted By: Sundance Re: Swamp People - 05/25/14 01:18 AM
I almost missed this one Scott you ole Gator. Reminds me of Hank Jr. - that's a compliment. smile Good stuff.

Josie
Posted By: gruverider Re: Swamp People - 05/25/14 09:28 PM
As kin to swamp people I say great groove. and I like the solo vocal in this tune.
Posted By: olemon Re: Swamp People - 05/27/14 11:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Digital Angel
Nice job working on a real life producers quandary, when asked to change something and thinking I rather go fishing than rack my brains working on drum parts in BIAB.

I truly commend you for pushing the envelope and perhaps even learning a little more on how tricky it is to get the drummer to quit texting while playing:)

Your awesome!

Yep, learned some more and hopefully the production is better. I think it need's some EQ'ing though, muddy. I'll probably tweak later on. Thanks Eric.

Originally Posted By: Sundance
I almost missed this one Scott you ole Gator. Reminds me of Hank Jr. - that's a compliment. smile Good stuff.
Josie

I appreciate that Josie!

Originally Posted By: gruverider
As kin to swamp people I say great groove. and I like the solo vocal in this tune.

Glad you liked it. My friends and neighbors hunt gators, but they seem to like the tune, which means I don't have to move:)

Thanks for listening.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Swamp People - 05/27/14 02:12 PM
Scott...

First and foremost... Congrats on going over the 1000 mark on a "current" post (not "dug up" after it's time)... that is huge!

The new drums sound great. A job very well done!

You should be very proud of this one!!! A truly enjoyable listen.

floyd
Posted By: olemon Re: Swamp People - 05/29/14 12:46 PM
Scott...

First and foremost... Congrats on going over the 1000 mark on a "current" post (not "dug up" after it's time)... that is huge!

The new drums sound great. A job very well done!

You should be very proud of this one!!! A truly enjoyable listen.

floyd

Floyd,

I feel like I'm 'digging' a little right now, but I want to say thanks for those generous comments.

And thank you for all of your help and mentoring!!!

And thank BiaB for giving us a way to give life to our songs and share our music:)
© PG Music Forums