PG Music Home
Posted By: RnAM Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/29/14 10:18 PM
Hello everyone,

This week's song is a bit different from the "Iamsadandfrustratedbecauseyouleftme" songs we've often posted so far grin .
It is about (and called)

Glass

and the special way it is shaped in this case.
You need to watch the video to see the beauty of it.
Nevertheless it's also on Soundcloud:
Glass / Soundcloud

Style: 80PBell.STY 80sMed.Pop w.BellPadSynth120S
Bass: 1162, Acoustic,CelticReelEv16 110
Synth: 2267, BellPad, Rythm 80sPopPads Ev085
Drums: Real Drums=NashBrushBalDbKEv16^1
Synth Pad: 1840 PopModernGrooveMellow Ev16 075
Synth: 1267 Synth Pad, PopShiningA-B Ev120
Synth: 2265, BellPad, RythmPopMelodic Ev85
Guitar: 542, Electric Rythm Dreamy Ev o85

Glass

Glass, wearing glass,
covering up, yet leaving bare
holding tight, not giving way
there's nothing else to do but stay

Ice, feels like ice,
constraining all that is inside
drop of water falling down
creating this enticing gown

Fragile body underneath
as naked as can be
makes the heart and soul
for everyone to see

Restraining jail, revealing veil,
tied up, tied down,
tickling sight, unbearable delight

Glass, wearing glass,
fragile cage and tender trap
kept inside, yet showing off
heading for a freeing step

Ice, feels like ice
beauty at a heavy price
keeps the body in its place
a cold and delicate embrace

Wondering what time will bring
hold captive or let go
leaving everything behind
and let the water flow

Don't move and stay
leave this dress no more
don't let... beauty fade away

Kind regards,
R & AM
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/30/14 01:40 AM
Really interesting and beautiful!! I would feel it an accomplishment to post one decent song per month, and somehow you guys come up with an outstanding one every week. I'm so envious!! This is really pretty and unique. Reminds me of a cross between Madonna and the "Sweet dreams are made of this" singer (spacing on her name). Superb work as usual! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/30/14 05:54 AM
Beautiful song and a great mix. I like the mood of this song and the video does a good job showcasing the song. Excellent work.

Charlie
Posted By: gibson Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/30/14 05:58 AM
Rob and Anne-Marie,

That is beautiful and ethereal. A masterpiece.
Your voice, Anne-Marie, is wonderful, PERFECT for the song and watching the video IS the only way to hear this song as both compliment each other so well.
Greg says
Quote:
Reminds me of a cross between Madonna and the "Sweet dreams are made of this" singer
and I agree. (Annie Lennox is the other name)

What a way to start my day!!!
Thanks for posting the RT's used as I shall be looking at/ listening to the synth ones later.

Excellent,absolutely beautiful.

Alyn
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/30/14 12:50 PM
Anne-Marie and Rob...

Beautiful on so many levels!

A spectacular lyric! I would quote my favorite lines here, but I would have to copy most of the song... Such depth in such short lines - real writing talent.

The melody is just as good as the lyric. Flowing, yet taking an unexpected curve, ever so slightly, here and there.

Beautiful vocals and harmonies!

Excellent mix.

The video is very well done. Being able to make a few stills seem "alive" is a talent unto itself...

The choice of instrumentation is wonderful. Y'all are showing sides to BIAB that have not been shown before. You raise the bar a little higher with each new song/production...

This is so very, very good.

floyd
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/30/14 02:55 PM
Awesome work, the vocal fits the song so perfect thanks for sharing!
Posted By: boehm Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/30/14 04:50 PM
Hi Anne-Marie and Rob,

great lyrics and beautiful tune.
Nice vocals and harmonies.
And the video is a great completion.

Guenter
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/30/14 05:32 PM
I agree, great song, nice lyric crafting and chord changes....

my only nit its that the reverb is so heavy on the voice the only way I could understand what was being said in the song was to follow along reading the lyrics.

It might be possible to leave the verb up fairly high but to do so you would need to experiment with EQ. the vox are fairly mid heavy. thinning out the mids in AM's vox would make it a bit cleaner and perhaps easier to understand the lyrics without needing to back off the verb too far...thus keeping that ethereal sound. It sounds also like the mix of the instruments is also heavy in the mids and that competes for sonic space in the mix with the vox.... EQ again is your friend when it comes to sorting that out and making the various things fit well and stand out as needed in the mix.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/31/14 01:24 AM
Hi Greg,
Wow... a combination of Madonna and Annie Lennox. Never dreamed of being compared to those two.
We considered speeding up the production to 2 songs a week, but we don't want to burden this forum too much laugh laugh .
Thanks.
Anne-Marie
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/31/14 02:16 AM
Very cool sound
Posted By: RnAM Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/31/14 12:18 PM
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your nice comment.
I was glad I was able to use the photo's for the video, it really adds something here.

Regards,
Anne-Marie
Posted By: RnAM Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/31/14 12:23 PM
Hi Alyn,

Thanks for your very nice comment. Glad you like all parts of the song and video. Creating a suitable video is just as important for me as it is to create a song.

Question: How do you add a "quote" to your reply? We cannot find any buttons for this.

Kind regards,
Anne-Marie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/31/14 12:48 PM
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Alyn,

Thanks for your very nice comment. Glad you like all parts of the song and video. Creating a suitable video is just as important for me as it is to create a song.

Question: How do you add a "quote" to your reply? We cannot find any buttons for this.

Kind regards,
Anne-Marie

Hit the "Quick Quote" button and you will see the quote entered into the quick reply box as text. Moe the curser to the end of the bracketed quote to begin your comments and they will appear in the post below the boxed comment. You do not see the quote as a box above your comments until you post or preview your reply.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/31/14 01:28 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
[quote=R & AM]

Hit the "Quick Quote" button and you will see the quote entered into the quick reply box as text. Moe the curser to the end of the bracketed quote to begin your comments and they will appear in the post below the boxed comment. You do not see the quote as a box above your comments until you post or preview your reply.

Thanks Charlie!!!
Posted By: dani48 Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/31/14 07:19 PM
Hi Rob and Anne-Marie !:))

This was a very interesting
tune as was the performance
also ! :)) You sure have
the ability to write different
music !:)) I liked this and
I liked the video too ( there
must have been a lot of work
going into making the video too ) ?

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 08/31/14 09:00 PM
I like the "euro" feel to the song (whatever that means.. it just struck me that way)

A very artistically rendered and presented idea, well done at many levels. You two make a good team.

Interesting choice of visuals to support the audio. That can be a real challenge deciding on how to take an audio project and expand it into the realm of visuals... but you pulled it off!
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/01/14 12:53 AM
hi r&am wow great peace of music here great accomplishment thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/01/14 08:11 AM
Hi Rob and Anne-Marie,

Wow! You certainly managed to capture the sound of glass incredibly well!

• If anyone is interested in 'how glass sounds', the link to Youtube below has a guy playing Tchaikovsky's "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" on the glass harmonica (invented by Benjamin Franklin - he did more than fly kites in thunderstorms).

• The glass harmonica becomes visible at around 25 seconds into the clip.

Anne-Marie, your singing was perfect for this piece. Just beautiful.

Very creative work indeed - musically, aurally and visually.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/01/14 05:35 PM
"Glass, wearing glass,
covering up, yet leaving bare
holding tight, not giving way
there's nothing else to do but stay"

If that doesn't grab you right from the beginning nothing will. "covering up, yet leaving bare" Those five words say a lot. Nothing really left to add to what's been said. Another clinic in what can be done with talent and BIAB. Great production (audio) and we will watch the video later on the big screen.
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/01/14 06:00 PM
That was really nice. The backings fits the idea so well too. And I agree that the video really brings something too it as it reinforces the lyrics so well. I'm glad I caught this one! -Patrick
Posted By: RnAM Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/01/14 08:44 PM
Hi Floyd,

Thanks so much for your very nice comment!
Raising the bar is what we all try to do, isn't it? Let's hope we don't disappoint anyone with our future songs blush
As far as the video is concerned: I had only 6 photo's and 2 short videos to create the final video. And these photo's were of the same mannequin. She was part of an exhibition of the dresses of Iris van Herpen. I visited the exhibition and was blown away by this designer dress.
Thanks again.

Regards,
Anne-Marie
Posted By: RnAM Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/01/14 09:02 PM
Hi Herb,

Thanks for your nice comments and advices.
As for experimenting with the EQ, it might be helpful (i.e. you could help ME) if you know something about my voice.
As a matter of fact I am an alt(o)/tenor. This means my vocal chords are longer than those of a (mezzo)soprano. I am capable of singing as a (mezzo)soprano when I have been singing all evening (I sing in 2 Vocal Groups) and it is warm. When I sing soprano notes I use a falsetto, which is very hard for a woman. Despite that, it will sound differently from a real soprano singing the same notes, as my vocal chords will resonate differently from the short vocal chords of a soprano.
When I sing as Rob's backing vocal I mostly have to sing as a mezzo soprano or even a soprano.
And I think for this song "Glass" I had to sing at a rather high pitch. I tried to do it at a lower pitch, but that didn't work.
To let you hear how my "real" voice sounds I send you this link. It is a song that has not been created with Biab, actually it is a cover of Rammstein's Mutter(but the lyrics are mine).

Father

May be, after hearing it, you can advice me how to let an alt(o)'s voice sound more like a (mezzo)soprano's.
Appreciate your advice.

Regards,
Anne-Marie
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/02/14 11:40 AM
I like your "natural voice"... it has a quality about it that I like.

The cover song is powerful....wow...

I'll reserve the rest of my reply to PM.
Posted By: plish Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/02/14 05:08 PM
Really like this. Very cool vibe. Great job!
Posted By: RnAM Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/02/14 09:04 PM
Thanks Dani,
Yes, the video was quite some work, because I had to cut out the mannequin from the photo's (6) I had. That was a lot of work.
Most of the times the work consists of 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration smile

Regards,
Anne-Marie
Posted By: RnAM Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/02/14 09:09 PM
Hi Patt,

Thanks for your very positive comments.
Words like these are very encouraging.

Regards,
Anne-Marie
Posted By: RnAM Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/02/14 09:10 PM
HI Eric,

Thanks for your nice comments!

Regards,
Anne-Marie
Posted By: RnAM Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/02/14 09:13 PM
Hi Noel,

Thanks for everything positive you said.
I've always considered myself to be a good backing vocal, not really a soloist. Words like these encourage me to do a solo project every now and then.
And the glass harmonica is wonderful indeed!

Regards,
Anne-Marie
Posted By: RnAM Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/02/14 09:15 PM
Hi Janice and Bud,

Thanks so much for your nice comments!
Appreciated as always.

Regards,
Anne-Marie
Posted By: RnAM Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/02/14 09:16 PM
Originally Posted By: nobilis
That was really nice. The backings fits the idea so well too. And I agree that the video really brings something too it as it reinforces the lyrics so well. I'm glad I caught this one! -Patrick

Thanks Patrick!
Posted By: RnAM Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/02/14 09:17 PM
Originally Posted By: plish
Really like this. Very cool vibe. Great job!

Thanks Plish!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Glass (reflecting on a dress) - 09/03/14 12:12 AM
Everything that I wanted to say has already been said!

Your vocals were outstanding and the lyrics were great. What a fantastic job you did on the backing tracks. WOW is all I can say!

The vid was absolutely fantastic.

PS - I can see either Lady GaGa or Milley Cyrus stealing that designer's dress for a show!
© PG Music Forums