PG Music Home
Here's a tune that's all BIAB. This is an older tune that I never recorded until now. When I was playing in a band some years back, the keyboardist told me that nobody had ever written a song about or for her. So, I sat down and this was the tune I came up with: A Song for Mel

Sliced and diced in ACID Pro. It's a waltz and since not all BIAB track I have are in waltz, I had to cut and paste to create a waltz feel. Thanks for listening!

1122Bass Acoustic
RealDrums=NashvilleClassicWaltzSW^4
~282:Guitar Electric Rhythm Country Waltz
~~2200:Guitar,Nylon, Background
The Waltz Bazouki and Pedal Steel (Sorry, don't have the track numbers)

http://www.reverbnation.com/q/51gw7l
Hi, Plish !:)

I do like the tune very much !:))
well mixed and performed !:))

Cheers
Dani
Plish, this is really great. We don't hear many waltzes anymore. Your vocal is outstanding and your lyrics are great!

I can hear Willie Nelson singing this one and in fact it did sound like Willie's guitar during the lead.

PS - you might want to tame the pedal steel at the end. Me thinks he over did the vibrato. YMMV.
Thx Dani!! Appreciate it!
Thanks for the input! Funny, you're the second person today to say this sounds Willie Nelson-ish.
Yeah, I actually had an even sharper ending but tweaked it to stretch it and bring it down. May be worth toning down a wee bit more ;-)

Thanks again!
Nice tune!! I really love the concept, and it is well executed! Really nicely done all the way around! Take care. Greg
Nicely told story. Good job slicing and dicing. It definitely worked.
Thanks Greg!!
Thanks Patrick!
Nice tune and good vocals. I enjoyed it.

Charlie
Nice tune, I agree this has a Willie vibe about it. Enjoyed listening.

(PS. While I was at your page on RN I couldn't resist listening to Big Wad Of Gum - what a hoot!)

Josie
Thanks Josie!

Also, thanks for the reminder on BWoG! That's a total BIAB tune as well (at least that version) smile

Appreciate you taking the time to listen!
Hi Charlie! Thanks for listening and the kind words!
Yeah... Ntown doesn't do waltzes these days but they used to be huge there back in the day.

The line "dancing cheek to cheek" reminded me of my gigging days. Out drummer sand 70% of the show and ran the banter with the audience. When we were getting ready to start a slow one he'd often say, "Here's a slow one..... grab that special person and get out here on the floor and dance cheek to cheek..... and if you don't like dancing cheek to cheek, you can always turn around and face each other"
Nice job and I'm also down with the Willie vibe. BTW, you did a great job splicing up those RT's to maintain the waltz feel.
Hi Michael,

nice tune and good vocals. Enjoyable listen.
Your slicing and dicing definitely worked.

Guenter
Enjoyed your composition.

Are you sure that's the right key for your voice ?

And thanks buddy, now I can't get that melody out of my mind!
Herb,
That is an AWESOME line about "Cheek to Cheek". Love gig stories smile

Appreciate the kind words!

All the best!
Thanks JandB! Willie is definitely in the lead ;-) Appreciate the kind words!
Thanks Guenter, and thank you for listening!
Thanks for commenting (and love the Mr. Magoo!)

Yeah, it's ironic that I wrote a tune that is not necessarily the best for my voice. In theory, my range is sufficient for this tune. But here's the deal: If I want to sing with more resonance and volume, I can throughout the entire range, but, if I want to sing softly and more emotively, there is a spot in which my voice breaks when shifting registers. I had worked through it some time back with a vocal instructor, when I was giggin' more, but without the gigging and singing more, my transitions between registers has suffered. This song, the way written is a little over an octave and a half. I could do the entire song in one octave, but then it loses dynamics in my opinion. Depending on the time of day and how much I'm practicing, I might find something a wee bit more comfy. The beauty of BIAB is that playing with new keys is really easy to do. This key was the best combo for me thus far.

Great question, thanks for asking and thanks for listening!

Sorry about putting the melody in your mind...
Not really ;-)
Plish,

What an nice song, and I agree with the Willie Nelson vibe.

Acid Pro eh, I have Acid 6 sitting all forlorn on my computer and I am going to experiment with splicing and dicing now. May take me a while tho' to achieve your standard!!!

thoroughly enjoyed

Alyn
hi plish great tune enjoyed very much nice mix well done thanks for sharing eric
Hi Alyn, Thanks for listening and the kind words.

Yeah, I find Acid a really nice fit for BIAB because of its ability to slice, dice, stretch, etc. Have fun!!!

Thanks again!
Thank you Eric, all the best!
Hi Mike,

Nothing like a good country waltz! When I lived in San Antonio back in the 79's, we played songs like this ad nauseum! But you rarely hear songs like this these days. This is nice refresher!

And this is better than the danged song that's been playing in my head the past week. So thank you for this worthyu replacement!

Alan

PS: The song that's been playing in my mind is a Christmas song, of all things ... "Deck the Halls". No idea why that one ... ???? Ha!
Very nice job of cutting and pasting, great performance and lyrics; thanks for sharing!
Hello plish,

Very nice song! I take it that was quite some work to get everything in the right rhythm.
Nicely sung and with emotion.

Regards,
Rob
Plish,
Very nice tune. I really like the arrangement.
Thanks for sharing.
I was wondering if you've heard from her. I sure hope she appreciated having a song written for her.

SD
Hi Alan! Appreciate the kind words and glad I could displace "Deck the Halls", at least for a while ;-)

All the best!!
Thanks PGFantastic!!! All the best!
Hi Rob!

Yeah, it was tedious at times - I would splice and bring things together and then eliminate stuff to create more space. Amazing what havoc a missing quarter note can create in a measure wink

Appreciate the kudos!!

All the best!
Hi SD!

Actually no. We lost track of each other for many years. I did recently find her - she's still in Texas. I need to reconnect and send the song her way - I'm sure she'd get a kick out of it!

Thanks again for listening and the kudos!

~peace~
Hi Michael,

What a very clever idea to write a song based around a pun on the word/name Melody! A touch of songwriting genius in my book. I'd love to be able to come up with hooks like that but all I can do is admire from afar. I'm impressed.

I have to say that I'm a fan of the way you've assembled this waltz. You've done a great job. Kudos to you!

Regards,
Noel
Hi Noel!

Thank you so much for the kind words and appreciation. I dig your work as well!!

Thanks again for listening!

All the best!
© PG Music Forums