PG Music Home
Posted By: aleck rand Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/02/15 12:44 AM
Happy New Year to all! I've been away, so I haven't had the chance to listen to all the great stuff Forum members are contributing. My New Year's resolution: Try to catch up.

Here is a collaboration between myself and Claus Maurice, a top German jazz guitarist and the composer of

.....................FUNK IN THE TRUNK

Claus Maurice: composer, guitar
Aleck Rand: arranger, keyboards, bass
RealDrums: funk style
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/02/15 03:42 AM
Funk it to me!! Happy New Year Dean, and what a great track to kick it off with. Beautiful song, arrangement, and performance. Love the organ solo. Top shelf all the way! Take care. Greg
Posted By: boehm Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/02/15 11:37 AM
Hi Dean,

Happy New Year! You start it with a great song.
Awesome horns and organ.
My regards to Claus. He's the only one I follow on
Soundcloud. Great composition and guitar.

Guenter
very nice. A quality production and great musicianship. Good collaboration.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/02/15 04:30 PM
Wow! What awesome skill. Very cool.
SD
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/02/15 05:03 PM
GREAT! So well put together in all areas. Each instrument is clear and precise; and the the lead guitar fits the mix just perfect; thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/02/15 06:37 PM
Dean,
That is a great mix. You always showcase
all of the tracks very well -- everything seems to
have it's place and nothing steps on another. It's
easy to forget how important all of that is when
listening and commenting on tunes.

Then comes the great playing that is featured in the
production. A cool collab that really works well,
very well. A fine way to start 2015, indeed.
Posted By: BruceI Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/03/15 12:28 AM
Amazing! The overall sound draws me in instantly, and the arrangement, instrumental performances, and sound quality are stunning. Completely professional except for the drummer who didn't get this gig (well, someone did, but it was in Vancouver or something smile ). But the RealDrums work perfectly and with everything else going on, I would never even think about that if I didn't know the drums are from BIAB.

Thanks,
Bruce
Posted By: dcuny Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/03/15 02:03 AM
Well played, solid track. Not much else to say! smile

-- David
Posted By: FredM Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/03/15 07:47 AM
Some great musicians at work here Dean. The music, and surely the guitar reminds me of the 70's Dutch band Focus, with Jan Akkerman and the organ by Thijs Van Leer.
Loved it !
G
Fred
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/03/15 11:19 AM
Awesome, Dean (and Claus).

Stellar horns! Cool organ!

Excellent arrangement and mix.

Delightful listen.

floyd
Posted By: gibson Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/03/15 12:24 PM
Dean and Claus,

WOW what a start to the new year!
What can I say about your contribution to this forum, Dean, absolute astounding as always.
It must take a lot of work, from BIAB to end up with a piece like that and it is always worth it.

Great solos

thoroughly enjoyable

Alyn
Posted By: dani48 Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/03/15 10:26 PM
Hi, Dean and Claus !:))

Firstly..... a Happy New Year
to both of you and a big thanks
for giving us mortals such gems
as all that you do and produce Dean,
seems to me to turn to bright shining gems !!!!:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Sundance Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/05/15 06:15 PM
Don't know which I like better the track or the title. LOL!

Great stuff.

Josie
Posted By: sslechta Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/05/15 06:32 PM
Nice work Aleck and Claus. Me like.... wink
Posted By: tommyad Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/06/15 11:35 AM
Dean and Claus, This showcases a great amount of skill. Great organ solo! The only change I would have made in the mix would be louder drums. I really enjoyed the horns. This whole production was very well done. Tom
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/07/15 12:34 AM
Why, thank you Santa. Claus is a great player and wonderful collaborator.

Dean
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/07/15 01:14 AM
Dean & Claus

Wow, way up there. This is really great. Top style, instrumentals, feel, everything.

Great work guys

Trev
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/14/15 07:38 PM
I'm glad that you pulled the funk out of the trunk! Love that B3 sound!

My kind of music!
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/14/15 09:24 PM
hi guys great job on this awesome the guitar organ great chops thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: Scott C Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/15/15 10:04 PM
Cool tune. Reminds me of the 70 tv sound tracks. Very neat vibe. Excellent guitar work..
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/16/15 12:33 AM
Wow! Lots of people to thank while I've been hiding out learning a new DAW. I just posted my first tune using the software.

Floyd, thank you. Those horns are Native Instruments Session Horns. Midi is making real progress.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/16/15 12:35 AM
Hey Greg,

Happy New Year to you too. Wonderful compliment. Thank you. I have a question for you, which I'll send as a PM.

Dean
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/17/15 03:13 PM
If we were grading songs on the curve, you just blew the curve so far out of proportion that nobody else can even hope to pass.

That was beyond my ability to describe, discuss or analyze. It reminded me of Blood Sweat and Tears' horn arrangements. Beyond that, it's all magic and miscellaneous other types of sorcery .
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/19/15 03:38 PM
Pat,

Once again, I'm very happy to get your positive feedback. Midi horns are making real progress, although these Session Horns by Native Instruments are not so easy to use. Luckily, I had Claus figure it out.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/19/15 03:39 PM
Scott,

Thank you. We had a ball doing this one.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/19/15 03:42 PM
Alyn,

It's always good to hear from you. You're right about that: Long tedious effort with BIAB, particularly creating the RealDrums so that they enhance the tune. I'm not able to do this all the time.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/19/15 03:43 PM
Hi Josie,

Title or tune. Take your pick. I'm just glad you liked it.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Rand and Maurice: FUNK IN THE TRUNK - 01/19/15 03:48 PM
Thanks Bruce,

Not many people can pick out RealDrums, so I usually list the name of the RealDrummer. Terry Clarke and Craig Scott are sensational. But, I think this is the first time that any Forum member has pointed out, correctly, that the drummer didn't make the gig. Impressive!

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)
© PG Music Forums