it's torn and tattered
cos nothing mattered
only to be with you
I want to be with you

RealTracks in song: 1181:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking PopWaltz Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1681:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 694 Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockArp Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven16^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

BIAB Chord track using NI FM7, for the arpeggios and also me playing with a filter.
Soprano :Irina Brochin from Papelmedia SF2 2006 to my MIDI input.
Vocals using Rode NT2
finally me on Lez, my Heritage Les Paul through a Marshall jcm900 thanks to Line 6 UX2.

Enjoy,
any comments welcome

Alyn
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The paper on the wall - 05/03/15 02:08 PM
Alyn,

I always enjoy your stuff. Always different, always interesting, often innovative. Often showing your influences "just enough" to keep it original.

This might be my favorite of anything you've ever done. A bit beatlesque, but mostly Lennon-esque. And all Alyn..

Super arrangement/production. Nicely paced. Perfect guitar solo to compliment - and shake it up a bit...

(I wish you would turn off the song list that follows - I wanted to savor the listen - and then something else starts playing - and ruins the moment... I had to keep going back and turning those off)

COOL song! Loved it.

floyd
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: The paper on the wall - 05/03/15 03:01 PM
Ooooh....Nice, nice, nice.

My new favorite from you.

Charlie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The paper on the wall - 05/03/15 03:59 PM
Floyd said it perfectly. A real treat!! Interestingly, when I was listening to the first verse (very sparse) I thought to myself, "this would be a great song to bring in the heavy feel later" and sure enough, there it was. Your songs have such a spontaneous, creative feel. Always love to hear what you're doing! If I were going to suggest anything, there are 2 spots I think where the vocal is a little pitchy. Your sound would be compromised by over-tweaking because it would lose the humanity but I feel there are a few spots that could be lightly tweaked. Absolutely love this!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: RnAM Re: The paper on the wall - 05/03/15 06:14 PM
Hi Alyn,

COOL! You sure know how to add dynamics to your music.
Huge dynamics from verse to chorus.
Rob is quite familiar with the Papelmedia SF2. He purchased it years ago (relatively cheap soundfont). And added the Irina Brochin section to his basic GM soundfont. We use it all the time!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Sundance Re: The paper on the wall - 05/03/15 06:35 PM
You are flat out blooming with your songwriting and production! Bottle that creativity and send me some would ya????

Love it.

Josie
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: The paper on the wall - 05/03/15 07:42 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alyn,

This might be my favorite of anything you've ever done. A bit beatlesque, but mostly Lennon-esque. And all Alyn..
floyd

A little psychedelic action going on here.
I agree with floyd.
Lots of color.
Rob
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: The paper on the wall - 05/03/15 09:22 PM
Nice song to listen to. It draws you in. I enjoyed the change in dynamics between the finger picked acoustic guitar and vocal versus the electric guitar solo with synth effects.
Posted By: PatrickH Re: The paper on the wall - 05/03/15 10:35 PM
Alyn, please feel free to take some more breaks from decorating, laundry, lawn mowing, etc. and keep these gems coming. Wonderful piece of music here.
Posted By: boehm Re: The paper on the wall - 05/04/15 01:31 PM
Hi Alyn,

like Greg said your songs have such a spontaneous, creative feel.
Nice lead guitar.
I enjoyed this one a lot.

Guenter
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The paper on the wall - 05/04/15 02:45 PM
That was pretty cool.

I like the melody and chord prog.
Posted By: tommyad Re: The paper on the wall - 05/04/15 07:08 PM
Alyn, I really like this a lot. Very beatlesque. Great guitar! I am going back for several more listens. Love the break before the last verse. Very very cool. Oh yeah the arrangement and performance was so stunning I forgot to mention nice mix. Tom
Posted By: gibson Re: The paper on the wall - 05/05/15 02:08 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alyn,

I always enjoy your stuff. Always different, always interesting, often innovative. Often showing your influences "just enough" to keep it original.

Super arrangement/production. Nicely paced. Perfect guitar solo to compliment - and shake it up a bit...

(I wish you would turn off the song list that follows - I wanted to savor the listen - and then something else starts playing - and ruins the moment... I had to keep going back and turning those off)

COOL song! Loved it.

floyd

Thanks floyd so much for the praise,I really do appreciate your words. I will have a look at Soundcloud re your request

Thanks for listening

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: The paper on the wall - 05/05/15 02:09 AM
Charlie,
thanks for that, hopefully every song I post will change your mind for a new favourite grin

All the best

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: The paper on the wall - 05/05/15 02:14 AM
Greg,

Thanks, I tend to like the heavier style of music to make people sit up a bit and go woah!!

Yeh I am a bit pitchy on this song, shows my true singing skills as I sometimes write stuff I cannot really sing well. As I sometimes sing the song in my mind when I write, I should really do it properly but that's me.
I think I can say I have never used a pitch correction plug. If I cant hit the note then I wander about until one fits-ish

Thanks for lisyening

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: The paper on the wall - 05/05/15 02:16 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Alyn,

COOL! You sure know how to add dynamics to your music.
Huge dynamics from verse to chorus.
Rob is quite familiar with the Papelmedia SF2. He purchased it years ago (relatively cheap soundfont). And added the Irina Brochin section to his basic GM soundfont. We use it all the time!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks both, that is praise indeed coming from you two!!

I use the sax on that font a lot also. Irina and Pavel are my mates now LOL

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: The paper on the wall - 05/05/15 02:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
You are flat out blooming with your songwriting and production! Bottle that creativity and send me some would ya????

Love it.

Josie

If I could I would smile
I have an electric piano set-up next to my 12 string in what I call my studio in my house ready for that moment!!

Thanks for listening

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: The paper on the wall - 05/05/15 02:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580

A little psychedelic action going on here.
I agree with floyd.
Lots of color.
Rob

Must be my USB Lava lamp exerting its influence!!

Thanks for listening and commenting

Alyn
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The paper on the wall - 05/05/15 10:38 AM
Wow! Talent and BiaB at it's best!
Beatlesque indeed as floyd mentioned.

The juxtaposed guitar solo is very
effective.

Nice write and production to wrap
it all up in. Hey, keep that lava lamp burning!

We really enjoyed this.

J&B
Posted By: gibson Re: The paper on the wall - 05/06/15 12:06 AM
Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Nice song to listen to. It draws you in. I enjoyed the change in dynamics between the finger picked acoustic guitar and vocal versus the electric guitar solo with synth effects.

Thanks Jim, glad you enjoyed the song. I wrote it with the intention that it went loud for the solo and I am glad it worked.

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: The paper on the wall - 05/06/15 12:08 AM
Originally Posted By: nobilis
Alyn, please feel free to take some more breaks from decorating, laundry, lawn mowing, etc. and keep these gems coming. Wonderful piece of music here.

I need that in writing if you don't mind laugh grin
SO glad you enjoyed.
thanks

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: The paper on the wall - 05/06/15 12:11 AM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Alyn,

like Greg said your songs have such a spontaneous, creative feel.
Nice lead guitar.
I enjoyed this one a lot.

Guenter
Thanks Guenter, BIAB lets the songs inside my head escape! The solo was an amazing 1st take and I was impressed with it myself as I haven't played a solo for quite a while thanks to a medical problem.

So glad you enjoyed

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: The paper on the wall - 05/06/15 12:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
That was pretty cool.

I like the melody and chord prog.

Thanks Herb, I really appreciate your comments and am so glad you liked it all. Praise from you is praise indeed. cool

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: The paper on the wall - 05/06/15 12:23 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Alyn, I really like this a lot. Very beatlesque. Great guitar! I am going back for several more listens. Love the break before the last verse. Very very cool. Oh yeah the arrangement and performance was so stunning I forgot to mention nice mix. Tom

Tom, as I said to Herb, praise from you is praise indeed.I like your guitar work a lot. Them pesky beatles crawl all over me yet in the day I was a Stones, Yardbirds fan, it was only later I realised how good they were and now how much they influenced me.

Glad I caused a memory loss laugh grin laugh

thanks for commenting

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: The paper on the wall - 05/06/15 12:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Wow! Talent and BiaB at it's best!
Beatlesque indeed as floyd mentioned.
The juxtaposed guitar solo is very
effective.
Nice write and production to wrap
it all up in. Hey, keep that lava lamp burning!
We really enjoyed this.

J&B

Thanks a lot, especially for the "Talent and BiaB at it's best!" bit. Coming from both of you that is high praise indeed, thank you so much.

I look forward to your next song and so my next lesson in singing, Janice cool

Alyn
Posted By: RichMac Re: The paper on the wall - 05/06/15 12:49 AM
Hi Alyn. Really enjoyed the lyrical parts of this song.
Almost a king crimson sound to me. Quite beautiful.
Cheers.
Posted By: gibson Re: The paper on the wall - 05/07/15 03:43 AM
Cheers Rich,

I did like King Crimson in the day and to be compared to them is a great honour.
Quote:
Quite beautiful.
I will treasure that quote blush

Cheers mate, thanks for listening

Alyn
Posted By: ROG Re: The paper on the wall - 05/07/15 09:57 AM
Hi Alyn.

Late as usual and nearly missed this one!

Typical Alyn all the way through. Always pushing at the boundaries, always different, always thought provoking, always musical, but above all always entertaining.

Hey, great guitar work my old pal. I didn't know you could play like that. Wicked!

With so many songs having a dynamic range of about 3db, it's nice to see you break with tradition. Nearly brought my monitors off the wall when the solo kicked in.

Just great, as usual.

ROG.
Posted By: gibson Re: The paper on the wall - 05/08/15 03:16 AM
Thank you I really appreciate that.
I always try to be "over the top" with my solo's ever since I 1st learnt "Hi Ho Silver lining" as a kid when I didn't realise that the overdub technique existed and I tried to play the solo, WITH the over dubs, live!! That was the first time I heard the expression WTF blush from the rest of the band smirk but it started a long enjoyable journey, for me at least.

I wanted my listeners to rush to the volume knob with the solo and then back again for the last verse, a bit like flooring the gas pedal in a fast car

I will send you a Screwfix catalgue for the speaker mounts grin grin

Thanks for commenting

Alyn
© PG Music Forums