PG Music Home
Posted By: DaveBrooksMusic I hope I'm doing this right... - 08/27/15 07:17 PM
Recently, I was asked to supply more info regarding my songs. Since I’m new to all this, please be patient.

One of my favorite songs is entitled: “I Don’t Know the Reason.” This song was written (as many songs are) during the aftermath of a bad relationship. For those of you who write songs, most times you are composing because it’s the only way to get the hurting to stop!!! Once you put the pain to lyrics and music, it just seems to fade-a-way…

Everyone has had that relationship that YOU thought was going well, and then all of a sudden, boom! She leave without explanation…this is one of those situations

I feel much better now…thanks for asking!!!=D

The Style used for this song was: ElecTam Ev 8 120 ElectRok w/Tamborine loop.

BB Tracks used are:

Bass: 388: Electric, Metal, Ev120
Piano Loop: Percussion Loops/Loop 132 bpm Tamborine Quarters 4
Drums: Real Drums=Rock Hard Modern Ev 8^2, CLSDHT, OPHT
Guitar: 694, Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Electric Rock Arp Ev 120
Guitar: 697, Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Electric Rock Dirty Ev 120
Thru: 1-Acoustic Piano
Audio: Vocals: DB, Lead Guitar solos and background: DB

I’ve found that when you are learning how to use this software, there is a lot of “tweaking” going on. A lot of file rebuilding and re-sets, and a ton of experimentation.
I’ll be happy to answer any questions if I can…

Thanks,
DB
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: I hope I'm doing this right... - 08/28/15 08:17 AM
I like the song. Nice chord progression and an unexpected one in the chorus.

It moves along nicely.

I also have some crits for you on this.

The music itself sounds good. The vocals do not have the same sonic quality as the music. The vocal sounds to me like the vocals were recorded with a mic set in the center of the room or at a distance from the singer's mouth. There appears to be a lot of "room sound" in the vocal track and a "hollow" sound to the vocals overall due to either EQ settings or mic quality or both. Unless you are using a condenser mic, you need to be really close to a dynamic mic. I use a condenser and still sing close to the element anyway.

Also bring the overall vocal levels up several dB.

What happened in the song at 3:35? (timer counts down) Sounds like you used a harmonizer to create some harmony tracks. It sounds terribly garbled. My suggestion..... if you don't know how to sing harmonies straight outta the box, let the harmonizer create them BUT, then take the time to learn each part and sing it. I often play the parts on a keyboard and then take the time to learn each one as I record the track one at a time.

I hope these comments help you.

And yeah... the background on the song is perfect. A direct link to the song in the post would be the crowing touch. Welcome to the BB family and I hope you stick around and participate on a regular basis.
Posted By: boehm Re: I hope I'm doing this right... - 08/28/15 10:32 AM
Hi Dave,

welcome to the forum.
Nice first post.
Unfortunately the vocals sound like
recorded with a telephone. Please
redo it to make a real good song.
Thanks for the background story.

Guenter
© PG Music Forums