PG Music Home
Posted By: aleck rand Backup - 09/24/15 01:59 AM
Well, it's great to be back showing off my suave expertise in setting up an easy link to Box.com ... funny, it used to work. I checked out SoundClick - ugh! - what a mess. I'll get it straightened out; meanwhile, I didn't return without a ...

..........................BACKUP

featuring PG RealDrummer Terry Clarke
Aleck Rand: other instruments
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Backup - 09/24/15 08:19 AM
Dean

Great job once again, nice inversions, and I really liked the way you created tension.

Tops.

Trev
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Backup - 09/24/15 10:06 AM
Nicely done. Rob
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Backup - 09/25/15 08:28 AM
Hi Dean

Have listened a few more times. You've really managed to create what might initially seem to be a predictable tune, and then really thrown a curved ball at it, thus introducing a plethora of unusual phrasings, and unexpected timings. In think this has worked to produce the tension I mentioned earlier.

Overall, this is a musical mastery. Your skills to perform all instruments except the drums further identifies the effort and skill involved.

Congratulations. You always manage to deliver something 'outside the box'.

More please. Your material is always interesting and challenging. I like that.

Trevor
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Backup - 09/25/15 11:15 AM
I wish I could do this.. but I didn't get the jazz gene.
However I sure do enjoy listening to your stuff!
Posted By: boehm Re: Backup - 09/25/15 11:19 AM
Hi Dean,

welcome back.
This is a masterpiece again.
You're a virtuoso on guitar and organ.
Listening was a pleasure.

Guenter
Posted By: tommyad Re: Backup - 09/25/15 05:09 PM
Dean, this is another showcase for your amazing talent. Sounds great. Tom
Posted By: mwgilbert Re: Backup - 09/26/15 07:43 PM
As a big fan of Larry Young/Khalid Yasin, back to Lawrence of Newark and the Lifetime stuff, I think you did a great job. One thought...as he moved further away from the organ trio or quintet format, he ended up (at least after Emergency) playing with bass players. In any case, I listened to this and Moontrane, and enjoyed them both quite a bit!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Backup - 09/28/15 02:54 AM
Missed you lately!! I can hardly process what you can do with musical instruments. This is absolutely amazing playing. Great hearing from you (and hearing you) again!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Backup - 09/28/15 03:32 PM
Wow - now that is impressive. A Forum member who not only knows Larry but knows him as Khalid Yasin and Lawrence or Newark. You know more about the guy than I do! Thanks for reminding me - I wracked my brains trying to remember Lifetime - but I'll never forget my first reaction to Emergency.

I didn't know what happened to him after that. I got as far as Mother Ship, his last Blue Note release. He was unrecognizable on that one. Larry Young had a much faster clock than the rest of us - he had progressed from a Jimmy Smith clone to that new style of his, and then into the avant-garde in, what?, 5 years? Then it was over.

Thank you for those wonderful compliments. Obviously, Larry Young had a big influence on me.

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Backup - 09/28/15 03:36 PM
Wow Greg!

This is a high-magnitude compliment - all I can do is give my deepest bow and my sincere thanks. And thank you also for the warm welcome-back.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Backup - 09/29/15 01:12 AM
Hey Pat,

I'm not sure there is a specific jazz gene. But there must be a complex of genes that influence pattern, structure and language recognition plus a hookup to the ears. You need a mental map of the instrument to be able to think coherently on the instrument.

There's a lot more to be said (see my PM)

Dean
Posted By: gibson Re: Backup - 09/29/15 04:06 AM
Astounding as usual and i call myself a musician laugh grin
I look forward to moe=re

Alyn
Posted By: PeterF Re: Backup - 09/29/15 05:38 AM
Very impressive - great playing and composition- listened to a few more while I was there.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Backup - 10/01/15 10:33 PM
You've outdone yourself here with this one! cool
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Backup - 10/01/15 10:41 PM
Dean,

I agree with all other well deserved accolades. This is outstanding! I totally enjoyed everything.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Sundance Re: Backup - 10/01/15 11:01 PM
Fabulous playing and love the sound of that organ too.
Posted By: SRP Re: Backup - 10/02/15 11:36 PM
Amazing! Spectacular! Astounding! Fantastic! Phenomenal!
Sonny
© PG Music Forums