PG Music Home
Posted By: SpaceDog New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/27/15 10:36 AM
Dear Forum Friends,
First, my apologies for not being on the forum lately. Between work, life, piano, time keeps slipping away. Someone should write a sond about that.
So a couple of weeks back my wonderful wife and lyricist wrote a poem for me about our life and times traveling the world throughout my Air Force career. This snappy little tune tells the happy story from our start in New York to eventually putting down roots her in Maryland. Thirty + years in under three minutes, quite a ride.
I also like to apologize in adance to my German firends. Please forgive the german lryics, mein deutches ist kaput!
Here are the Soundclick links. I'll update this post with the Soundcloud link shortly.
Enjoy!

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=13220387&q=hi&newref=1
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13220387
http://www.soundclick.com/dcspacedog

Technical BB stuff:

Style is _WNSWING.STY (WesternSwing Quintet Sw(150-220))
Style is_FATSWALR.STY for Stride bass piano (panned R)

My Piano: Midi SampleTank2-Bright Electric Grand (panned L)
RealTracks in style: ~537:Bass, Acoustic, Pop Sw 165
RealTracks in style: ~373:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 165
RealTracks in style: ~1128:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm WesternSwingWarmA-B Sw 165
RealTracks in style: ~812:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Western Swing Sw 165
Posted By: 90 dB Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/27/15 11:19 AM
SpaceDog -

I like this one, because it's from real life. You guys really got around in 30+ years! Join the USAF - see the world! grin

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: boehm Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/27/15 01:09 PM
Hi SD,

very nice and uplifting song.
Regards to your wife.
Christkindlmarkt und Autobahn are a
nice touch for me. Where in Germany were
you stationed?
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

P.S. I like your vocals and piano.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/27/15 05:39 PM
Nicely done. Enjoyed hearing about your crazy life.
Thanks for your service to us also.

Charlie
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/28/15 12:02 AM
Bob,
Thanks. Yep, it's been a real whirlwind.

Guenter,
I was actually thinking, "What will Guenter say when he hears this?" Thanks for you kind words. Glad you liked it.
We lived in Heidelberg for one year and Osterholz-Sharmbeck (near Bremen) for two back in the 80s. Those were three great years!

Charlie,
Thanks for listening and commenting.
It was an honor to serve. I'd do it all again if they made me 21 again!

SD
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/28/15 12:46 AM
Yes we all need some crazy in our lives. Well done.
Rob
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/28/15 02:37 AM
Fun song! The music fits the mood well. I work with many retired AF, and some active duty. This was nicely put together. Your midi piano fit well. Nice work! Take care. Greg
Posted By: tommyad Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/28/15 12:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Rob
+1 Well put together. This is kind of like a musical travelogue. Sounds like an interesting life. My compliments. An enjoyable listen. Tom
Posted By: rsdean Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/28/15 07:23 PM
SpaceDog,

This one is a lot of fun - really enjoyed the arrangement and delivery. Very well done.

Bob
Posted By: gruverider Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/28/15 07:50 PM
What a great song style to deliver your journey to. That swing always brings life to any song it backs up.

Much enjoyed.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/29/15 12:32 AM
SD,

Very enjoyable! The music is a great much for the theme and the arrangement is perfect for both. This would work really well as a ragtime piece, too.

Congratulations to you both on so many years and so many places!

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: gibson Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/29/15 04:14 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Rob
+1 Well put together. This is kind of like a musical travelogue. Sounds like an interesting life. My compliments. An enjoyable listen. Tom

says it all,

I enjoyed the journey

Alyn
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/29/15 09:21 AM
Nice song, SD.

Good mix and vocal.

You ought to make a video to go along with this - with pictures from all of those adventures. You'll want to play it at your 50th....

floyd
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/29/15 11:56 AM
Cool "true life" song and we always LOVE
a swing. I agree with floyd -- this song begs
a video!

Enjoyed it!
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/29/15 10:28 PM
Rob,
Thanks. I agree, a little crazy is a good thing.

Greg,
Thanks for the kind words. and thanks for watching out for our vets.

Tommy,
It's been a fun ride. I glad you liked to song.

Bob,
Thanks for listening. Glad you enjoyed it. Take care.

Gruverider,
I really like the swing style also. It's always fun to work with.

Noel,
Thanks. I started the arrangement in Fats Waller stride piano and Scott Joplin piano styles. Then I styled my playing on those rhythms.

Alyn,
Glad you liked it. Thanks for listening.

Floyd, J&B,
Great idea about the video. I've never done one. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks.

SD
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/29/15 10:42 PM
Quote:
I started the arrangement in Fats Waller stride piano and Scott Joplin piano styles. Then I styled my playing on those rhythms.

SD,

Thanks for passing the information along. That explains why I could hear it working with a ragtime setting. I've just had another listen. Yep, it's good!

Noel
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/30/15 08:40 PM
As promised, here's the Soundcloud link:

https://soundcloud.com/dcspacedog/my-crazy-life-with-you
Posted By: SRP Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/30/15 09:04 PM
I wish that I could play piano for I would certainly have more fun but that is why I have to rely on BIAB for all my instruments. I enjoyed listening to your life's history through your song and I salute you guys for having so much fun in those thirty years. My wife and I celebrated forty-seven years the twenty-first of this month and I have enjoyed every second of it.
Sonny
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/30/15 09:17 PM
Very nice, SD.

I have been out of commission around here at the forum for awhile, myself. Good to hear something from you here. Congrats on a successful marriage! Enjoyed the song!

Steve
Posted By: Icelander Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 09/30/15 11:23 PM
I've always felt that most of the best songs come from within. And by that I mean there's something going on within the songwriter that brings the song to come about, whether it be feelings, events or what have you. This song is no exception.
On the more tech side of things, I got two pointers if I may: I particularly noticed the well constructed/performed harmonies but did wonder if perhaps some "gadgets" were used, for they seemed almost "too clean", if that makes sense? And second, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do think the convention with piano is panning the higher register to the right and lower to the left, you appear to have this reversed....?
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 10/02/15 10:02 AM
Sonny,
Happy anniversary. 47 years, Wow!
Yep, I'm glad I taught myself to play guitar and piano when I was a teen. It has been a constant companion over the years, but it hasn't all been easy. I'm still learning.
Glad you liked the song.

Steve,
Thanks. I'm so glad to hear from you. I hope all is well. There's just so much to do and so little time for songwriting and recording.

Ice,
I agree. Songwriting has to come from feelings and experience. Even fantasies need to emerge from some bit of truth or emotion.
Interesting idea about panning the piano by pitch. I've never heard that trick. In this case, I have two piano tracks. I'm playing the lead in left channel and BB generated the right channel.
About the vocals, background vocals are always the hardest part for me. I used the TC Helicon harmonizer that comes with BB/RB. I just wanted it to be crisp and perfect this time.

SD
Posted By: Icelander Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 10/02/15 01:01 PM
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Interesting idea about panning the piano by pitch. I've never heard that trick. In this case, I have two piano tracks. I'm playing the lead in left channel and BB generated the right channel.
Which, as convention goes, would be considered to be reversed, the idea stems from the "two mic" setup of grand pianos, I believe. But conventions are only that, and much like the concept of "rules", meant to be broken, right wink
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
About the vocals, background vocals are always the hardest part for me. I used the TC Helicon harmonizer that comes with BB/RB. I just wanted it to be crisp and perfect this time.
I hear you loud'n-clear on that one, for me any vocals "are always the hardest part for me", heh! In that case, I'd say mission accomplished smile

p.s. Points to you for referring to me as Ice, btw cool
Posted By: RnAM Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 10/02/15 08:44 PM
Hi SD,

We're always interested when you post a new song!
There's always some special angle to it. In this case we very much like the double voice sound and the uplifting feeling of it all.
Very well done!

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 10/02/15 10:19 PM
This was such a fun listen SD. That rollicking piano really gave the song a great traveling vibe. Your sound just keeps getting better and better.

Josie
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 10/03/15 09:32 AM
Good song.... yep,

life is crazy, and that's what keeps me sane.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 10/03/15 09:58 AM
SD, a really great number with a perfect feel. Toe-tappin' fun and look back at life experiences at the same time. Great job.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: New Song: My Crazy Life With You - 10/03/15 11:49 AM
Rob & Anne-Marie
I'm glad you liked it. The vocals were pretty simple this time but I did tweak the reverb preset a bit to fit with the TC Helicon harmonizer.

Josie
I like that term "rollicking" I guess I'm more of a Rollicker than a Rocker. Maybe I'm just off my rocker. In any case, Thanks for your kind comments.

Herb
Thanks. A little crazy is good for the soul but too much can get you locked up.

VideoTrack
Always good to hear encouraging comments from a fellow keyboard player. Keep those toes tapping! Thanks.
© PG Music Forums