PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Young Whenever I See You - 09/30/15 09:55 PM
I have been out for a few weeks, dealing with life. smile I hope to be around more frequently.

I just re-arranged and re-recorded this song that I actually wrote 5 years ago, after both my daughters got married within a 12 month time frame (the year of my almost-bankruptcy). I was thinking about all the feelings and emotions that a dad experiences when he gives his daughter away for marriage, and wrote this song. I hope you enjoy it...

Whenever I See You

Here are the RT's/RD's used...

RealTracks in song: 1036:Bass, Electric, NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 910:Piano, Electric, Rhythm SmoothBallad Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 522:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 869:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernRnBRockWarmA-B Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 621:Pedal Steel, Background Easy Ev 136
RealTracks in song: 511:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Dire Ev 140
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleBrushesCountryPopEv16: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes
Posted By: rsdean Re: Whenever I See You - 09/30/15 10:14 PM
Steve,

I always look forward to hearing your songs. I think you have just written a new wedding standard with this one! Very beautiful and touching - great arrangement and vocal delivery as usual. So well done!

Bob
Posted By: SRP Re: Whenever I See You - 09/30/15 11:38 PM
Only a real loving dad could write such words and mean every word of it. I enjoyed your experience through this song and it is refreshing to hear dads express their love for their family. Nice song with good choice of instruments to compliment your voice. I like your guitar solo and the chords you used in the fiddle part.
Sonny
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Whenever I See You - 10/01/15 12:54 AM
Very nice. Lyrics that evoke deep thought from anyone who has been through this. (I have not.)

Plus you have a voice that is so spot on accurate that the singing almost becomes subliminal and allows the listener to focus on those lyrics. Well done.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Whenever I See You - 10/01/15 01:21 AM
Hey Steve. This is a great tune.
I love the clarity of the mix.
Rob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Whenever I See You - 10/01/15 01:27 AM
Top notch write, performance and production. I enjoyed the melody of this one.

Charlie
Posted By: boehm Re: Whenever I See You - 10/01/15 01:04 PM
Hi Steve,

a beautiful song in every aspect.
I enjoyed listening a lot.

Guenter
Posted By: gibson Re: Whenever I See You - 10/01/15 02:16 PM
Steve,

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SONG!!
As Sonny said
Quote:
Only a real loving dad could write such words and mean every word of it. I enjoyed your experience through this song and it is refreshing to hear dads express their love for their family. Nice song with good choice of instruments to compliment your voice. I like your guitar solo and the chords you used in the fiddle part.
Sonny

I agree with every word he wrote

Alyn
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Whenever I See You - 10/01/15 05:01 PM
Almost got teary with this one!! I have an 11 year old daughter and still clearly remember carrying her as a baby. I reflect on her future (and my son's) and think about things like career and marriage. This is a very touching and beautiful song. Arrangement and vocal were excellent as usual. Very sweeeeeet stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: tommyad Re: Whenever I See You - 10/02/15 10:09 AM
Steve, Your vocals are tremendous! Nicely written song and a fantastic arrangement. Every instrument is so separated and clear in the mix. Superb editing throughout. I like hearing just that little bit of steel near the end. you are a master at assembling these parts and the time you take and the care you show is clearly evident. Just Beautiful. Tom
Posted By: RnAM Re: Whenever I See You - 10/02/15 09:02 PM
Hello Steve,

As you know, we're always looking forward to your new contributions.
This is beautiful!
Outstanding vocals and a very professional use of the Pedal Steel RT!
The Dire soloist also works nicely here.

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Whenever I See You - 10/02/15 10:07 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Steve,

I always look forward to hearing your songs. I think you have just written a new wedding standard with this one! Very beautiful and touching - great arrangement and vocal delivery as usual. So well done!

Bob

Thanks, Bob! Always great to hear from you. Glad you like it.

Originally Posted By: SRP
Sonny

Thank you, Sonny. I have been very blessed with a wonderful, close-knit family. Thanks for your kind words!

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Very nice. Lyrics that evoke deep thought from anyone who has been through this. (I have not.)

Plus you have a voice that is so spot on accurate that the singing almost becomes subliminal and allows the listener to focus on those lyrics. Well done.

Hi Eddy! Nice to see you back around here. Really appreciate your very kind words.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Whenever I See You - 10/02/15 10:27 PM
Beautifully written and beautifully done Steve.

Josie
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Whenever I See You - 10/03/15 06:41 AM
Hello,

nice song, very melodic.
you've got a great voice for this kind of music.
I enjoyed it.

Hello.
Sergio.
Posted By: Skyline Re: Whenever I See You - 10/03/15 07:40 AM
What a lovely song Steve, an arrangement smooth as honey. Top class vocals as usual. Thanks for letting us hear this one.

John
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Whenever I See You - 10/03/15 11:39 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Steve, Your vocals are tremendous! Nicely written song and a fantastic arrangement. Every instrument is so separated and clear in the mix. Superb editing throughout. I like hearing just that little bit of steel near the end. you are a master at assembling these parts and the time you take and the care you show is clearly evident. Just Beautiful. Tom

Steve - Tom often says the same things I think as listen...so +1 to all he said...

As always, your production is a work of art. Super nice editing on the Dire solo to keep it from sounding like "the Dire solo" (that it so often does).

It is a real talent to be able to write "plain speak" lyrics that convey real emotion (and do not sound trite)... you do that so well, so consistently.

There is a reason that "Beautiful" is used so often to describe your work.

floyd

PS - thanks for the nice comments in the Learning thread (didn't want to bump it again)
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Whenever I See You - 10/03/15 01:43 PM
Gorgeous country ballad here. Excellent work. Love the arrangement.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Whenever I See You - 10/03/15 06:31 PM
Lovely! What a tribute for them and with such feeling from Dad. And then
the icing on the cake consists of the heartfelt write and vocals. Oh, and
then there is the Steve Young high bar production values to marinate
it all. Greg and floyd used up the best superlatives for this...but we
sincerely agree with them.

Wonderful.

J&B
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Whenever I See You - 10/03/15 07:33 PM
Steve,

I don't know what's in the drinking water at Canyon Lake TX but... wow! You consistently present the forum with outstanding work. The melodies you write are amongst the best I've ever heard, your arrangements always hook my imagination and effortlessly carry me along on the song's journey and your lyrics are so very effective.

"Beautiful" is an absolute pleasure to listen to. I honestly don't think that music can get any better than this.

I hope that all is travelling well for you and your family,
Noel
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Whenever I See You - 10/04/15 07:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hey Steve. This is a great tune.
I love the clarity of the mix.
Rob

Hey Rob, good to hear from you. Glad you like the mix. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Top notch write, performance and production. I enjoyed the melody of this one.

Charlie

Charlie, thanks for dropping in on this one. Really appreciate your kind words. Glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Steve,

a beautiful song in every aspect.
I enjoyed listening a lot.

Guenter

Thanks, Guenter! Always good to hear from you!

Originally Posted By: gibson
Steve,

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SONG!!
As Sonny said
Quote:
Sonny

I agree with every word he wrote

Alyn

Hi Alyn, thanks so much! Appreciate you taking the time to listen and post!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Almost got teary with this one!! I have an 11 year old daughter and still clearly remember carrying her as a baby. I reflect on her future (and my son's) and think about things like career and marriage. This is a very touching and beautiful song. Arrangement and vocal were excellent as usual. Very sweeeeeet stuff!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg! I still had a hard time singing it when I recorded it this week, even after 5 years. I think it must be allergy season, my throat kept getting choked up! smile My youngest is now 30, and between the 2 daughters we now have 4 grandkids, and a 5th on the way. Life is good! Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!

Steve
Posted By: dcuny Re: Whenever I See You - 10/04/15 08:46 PM
Such excellent writing. You set everything up in the first few lines so well, it seems effortless, and the boom into an awesome chorus that sticks in my head.

And the arrangement... The strum at 0:49; the strings entering at 1:07; the drums coming in at 4:01... that lovely minor chord, the shaker under the solos, the organ at 2:20 and 2:56... the string line at 1:07 and 3:19. All the bits that don't stick out, but make such a huge difference in the finished track.

Soooo nice.

I didn't see fiddle listed on the RTs. Is that you? I seem to recall reading you played violin.

Wow.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Whenever I See You - 10/04/15 09:00 PM
Nice song. I'll bet you shed a tear writing that.

I know I did when I wrote "FLY" for my daughters.
© PG Music Forums