PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/17/15 03:47 PM
Sundown on the St, Lawrence

You're sitting on the bank of the St. Lawrence river (note input river, stream, pond, lake or ocean of your choice) in the late fall watching the last of the painted leaves slowly fall to the ground. Quickly the wind picks up, a cold front comes in, and a little snow starts to fall. Then just as quickly it stops, the sunshines and you are at peace with nature again.

This is one that JonD and I have been working on for a couple of weeks now.

The BiaB style is Orchestrial 4/4 with harp. The drums were deleted and I wrote the current drum part.

The bass track was doubled and one raised an octave so the double bass and cellos are playing in unison just an octave apart.

The harp track was deleted and replaced with a harp sound played via my MIDI controller.

The string parts were modified to fit the song.

JonD played the piano and synth vocal parts via his keyboard controllers. He also wrote the main theme.

I played the flute via my wind controller, added string parts and solo violin via my keyboard controller, and played my guitar.

The harp track was deleted and replaced with a harp sound played via my MIDI controller.

Let us know what you think.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/17/15 04:23 PM
Mario & Jon,

Nice! Very cinematic.

It is obvious that you spent time on this. Nice playing from the both of you...

Relaxing. Enjoyable.

floyd
Posted By: SRP Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/17/15 04:24 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Beautiful! You really captured the image that you described. I like your choice of instruments and you did a good job with them. I believe that great minds think alike for I also have written a New Age song that is on my Easy Listening album that is intended to capture the setting of the sun across the ocean. It is called "Caught in the Moment".
Enjoyed "Sundown on the St. Lawrence"!
Sonny
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/17/15 05:10 PM
Wonderful music Mario (and Jon D.)!!! As Floyd said, it really feels like score music. I'm a huge film fan and I could imagine this with a dramatic scene. Beautifully done!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/17/15 09:59 PM
Hello Mario. Very enjoyable.
Nice to see you around again.
Rob
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/17/15 10:34 PM
Hi Mario,

Wow... a great deal of effort has gone into creating this fine piece of music. You and Jon have done really, really well. In my mind, this could easily have been part of the "Dances With Wolves" soundtrack.

One of your best!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/18/15 05:58 AM

I agree with what you wrote introducing the song.

You are at peace with nature!!

It's a great work. You're a true skilled composer of
soundtracks.

Really!!

I like this music.

Sergio
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/18/15 09:07 AM
You and Jon are the midi sound giants. This is midi as it is supposed to sound.

Sadly, the version of BIAB I have has grudgingly stuck to its guns that I purchased BIAB for Realtracks and nothing but Realtracks and heartily resists any and all attempts by me to get anything midi beyond a few Coyote yelps... I keep trying new devices and software, pleading for this time to get my computer to play nice with midi.... Thousands of midi songs stored on discs, ready to deliver the goods programmed into them.

Just yesterday I found I have Kontakt Essentials 7 suite on my Desktop since 2013 that was included with Studio One... Installed and cannot get it activated with the activation code because it also requires serial numbers with the individual products, which I don't have.

Alesis Q49 Controller, TTS-1, Roland SC-55 MarkII and Inegra 7 all back in their box and setting on the shame shelf in the closet unable to conquer the BIAB/Studio One/Windows 7 Midi Monster...

I've not given up hope, just taking a much needed breath along the banks of the St Lawrence dreaming of what might one day be my own reality of Midi sounds.

Your post is inspirational both musically and mystically to me.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/18/15 09:27 AM
Very Nice, Mario. Enjoyed my listen.

"Quickly the wind picks up, a cold front comes in, and a little snow starts to fall."

Man, just the thought made me shudder. We have a cold front going through right now. I actually had to put on a shirt! grin

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: boehm Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/18/15 11:37 AM
Hi Mario,

what a great soundtrack! Especially like
that guitar part. A beautiful collaboration.
I enjoyed my listen.

Guenter
Posted By: ROG Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/18/15 12:45 PM
Hi Mario.

Lots of nice musical textures in this piece.

We have a river about 50 yards from the back of our house and with an east wind blowing gently at the moment the leaves are turning and falling and being carried away by the current.

A lovely piece which sounds like it should be in a film.

ROG.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/18/15 01:09 PM
Thanx all for listening:

Floyd, Greg, Noel, Rog - We tried to have it cinematic and it appears as though we succeeded. I'm glad that you liked it.

Sonny - Where is your CD listed?

Rob - Things have been a bit hectic around here with 4 music projects, getting everything ready for winter and a bum back. Now I have some listening time.

Sergio - I'm not sure about that true skilled composer reference. But I sure try to be at least OK.

Charlie - I can help you set up you MIDI and Sonar if you like. Just PM me. Just remember you will get OK but not great sounds from any GM sound source.

Bob - You are breaking my heart! This morning it we 39°F when I got up.

Guenter - That guitar was a one pass play whatever came to me track. I thought it was pretty good also.
Posted By: DEddy Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/18/15 01:56 PM
That song was really great.

DE
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/18/15 03:18 PM
Beautiful and peaceful, enjoyed.

Kenny
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/18/15 05:11 PM
Mario,

Have you been taking or drinking something lately? If so, you think I could have a little taste? It's a phenomenal production.

Dean
Posted By: Sundance Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/19/15 12:02 AM
Lovely intricate cinematic and a really wonderful listen.
Great job Mario!
Posted By: RichMac Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/19/15 02:42 AM
Wow! A beautiful piece of music. You did a lot of work on it and the craftsmanship shines through. Cheers.
Posted By: gibson Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/19/15 04:43 AM
Mario and JON,

The picture you paint of the river sounds idyllic, sadly my local one is lifeless and coloured by rust from old coal mine workings.So I imagined myself on top of the mountains watching kites circle above me.
Beautiful soundscape as usual.
You and Jon show that MIDI is still a force to be reckoned with, in the right hands.
enjoyed

Alyn
Posted By: tommyad Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/19/15 09:52 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Mario & Jon,

Nice! Very cinematic.

It is obvious that you spent time on this. Nice playing from the both of you...

Relaxing. Enjoyable.

floyd
+1 Just like being at the movies with your eyes closed. Some really beautiful soundscapes. I enjoyed it. Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/19/15 10:50 AM
Intersting that Noel mentioned Dances With Wolves as that is our favorite movie.

At the moment we are sitting in our little music room looking out a window into
the woods as this plays...and the leaves here are just beginning to turn.

Mesmerizingly beautiful. It must be gratifying to know how well all of that
effort worked out.

We love it!

J&B
Posted By: RnAM Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/20/15 06:25 PM
Very nice music again!
Very suitable to listen to, when you're in a hammock and let the leaves fall around you. Not difficult to imagine a lake or something nearby.
Well done by both of you!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/21/15 01:56 AM
Hi Mario. Glad I caught this one. What a wonderful way to start a busy Wednesday.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/24/15 04:27 PM
DE, Kenny, Josie, Rich, Tom, J&B, RnAM and JosieC, thanx very much for listening and the very nice comments. JonD and I both greatly appreciated them.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/24/15 04:31 PM
An Excellent write and production Mario! This could definitely be used in Cinema or as a Documentary backing soundtrack. I really did enjoy the build. Very Orchestral. Thanks for sharing.
Trev
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sundown on the St. Lawrence - 10/24/15 04:36 PM
Dean, since you gave us a very nice review I will let you in on our secret. I drink Budweiser and JonD drinks Merlot!

Alyn thanx also for your nice review. RTs are nice, I do use them, but they are exclusive to PGMusic while MIDI is open to the world. There are a lot of great MIDI musicians out there including our own Notes Norton.

Thanx for the MIDI comment though as it shows how useful BiaB can be and how versatile it really is.
© PG Music Forums