PG Music Home
Posted By: Sundance Missing Me - 11/23/15 02:07 AM
Hey Y'all,

I haven't posted a country ballad in a long time so I hope you enjoy this one. I first wrote Missing Me seven years ago when I was going through the grieving process. I thought about it a few weeks ago and decided to finally finish it.

Fair warning - it's a country tearjerker.

MISSING ME
©2015 Josie Beck

On the outside I look better
Now that I can laugh and crack a joke
And I can smile when I say your name
Without that lump caught in my throat
My eyes aren't red and swollen anymore
From crying every hour
It looks like I'm getting on with my life
But no one sees inside

I'm missing me
the way I used to be
When we were a family
and me and you were we
Oh when you and I were us
God knows I loved you so much
Now that I'm finally getting through
the pain of losing you
I'm missing me

On the inside I know better
I try to make it day by day
And I still dream of the old days at night
Wishing I could feel the same old way
I know you're up in Heaven looking down
And you don't want me feeling sad
but the part of me that left with you
is never coming back

I used BIAB/RB and mixed in Reaper. The original style was _sbaljj1.sty. All music tracks are RTs and vocals by yours truly. RTs used are: 366 Bass, Drums NashEven8, 1725 Piano, 1513 Guitar, 2325 String Quartet

Your thoughts are always appreciated.
Posted By: RichMac Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 02:45 AM
Hi Josie. Country tearjearker indeed. And very well done.
Like the lyrics and the hook idea of missing me as I used to be.
Good one. Cheers.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 03:36 AM
Really liked the presence of your voice in this one Josie. A really nice mix, and yes, a Country Tear-jerker.

The fiddle carried the song very sensitively. I especially liked the phrasings. A great contribution.

Trev

PS: somewhat sadly, I understand that there are some real-world events that lead to the song.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 04:09 AM
Sounds like a country classic. Well written, well sung, and an excellent arrangement. The chorus (and harmony) is particularly strong. The only thing it lacks is some pedal steel guitar. smile
Posted By: PeterF Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 04:39 AM
Lovely production (but as you say a tear-jerker) - something in your voice reminded me of Christine McVie.
Posted By: gibson Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 05:33 AM
Quote:
I'm missing me
the way I used to be

What a phrase!! Says so much.

I enjoyed that listen *wipes tears from eyes*
nice to hear you back!!

I was missing you laugh

Alyn
ps nice ending
Posted By: ROG Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 06:26 AM
Oh wow Josie!

That is just perfect and sounds like the sort of song which could earn money.

Loved everything about it and wouldn't change a thing.

Your voice sounds fabulous and the harmony is amazing. You were obviously going to sing this with emotion, but I have to say that it really comes through and makes the song what it is - perfect.

Just going to find the Kleenex before another listen.

Take care, ROG.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 09:20 AM
Simply one of your best at every level.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 09:54 AM
Without a doubt, this is my favorite from you.

The melody and progression reminded me a lot of some of David Allen Coe's classic country tunes.

Nice lyrical work in the chorus. This is also classic country word smithing.

My only nit is on the vox. Just a touch of melodyne to pull things into line would be a perfect touch. The chorus harmonies are really sweet... man I really loved the sound of the harmonies, however, I hear too many artifacts through out. Sounds like you used a harmonizer to create them.

Nits aside.... this is a really well done song.
Posted By: SRP Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 09:58 AM
Hi Josie,
The process of loving and then losing someone is masterfully described in this song from someone who could only have gone through it. And then for you to take it to the next step in wanting to find your old self again is just genius. I really enjoyed your writing and your vocals were just perfect. Great song!
Sonny
Posted By: tommyad Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 10:46 AM
Josie, I'm on my 4th listen and not my last. I love the write, the melody and your vocal reading of the piece. My new favorite. Classic country! Nice work on the backing tracks. The only nit I have is the intro. Sometimes those piano tracks sound a little funny changing chords. ( depends on the progression ). I would have lengthened the intro a bit to smooth it out some. Your voice sounds spectacular on this. Lady you can really sing! ( and write ) This is so very good. Congrats on a job extremely well done! Tom
Posted By: RnAM Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 11:09 AM
Hi Josie,

Beautiful song Josie and we recognize the feeling in the lyrics.
Well done!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: boehm Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 02:15 PM
Hi Josie,

great song and awesome vocals and harmonies.
Nicely arranged.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 03:35 PM
Josie,

Your best, I think. Classic country sound. The melody on the chorus is a stand-out.

Nice arrangement and mix. Good use of the strings.

fj
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 08:03 PM
This is gorgeous. Your best to date (that I've heard). Sorry for your loss, but some great songs have come from pain, and this is one of them.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 09:20 PM
Hey Josie,

This is excellent - loved everything about it. The vocal and melody line is just beautiful.

Bob
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 10:39 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Good one. Cheers.

Thank you Rich!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 10:43 PM
Beautiful song. Loved the vocal and lyrics
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 10:52 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Really liked the presence of your voice in this one Josie. A really nice mix, and yes, a Country Tear-jerker.

The fiddle carried the song very sensitively. I especially liked the phrasings. A great contribution.

Trev

PS: somewhat sadly, I understand that there are some real-world events that lead to the song.

Thank you Trev! Yeah, writing songs helped me get my feelings out then I found it too hard to revisit that emotional place for a long time.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 10:59 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Sounds like a country classic. Well written, well sung, and an excellent arrangement. The chorus (and harmony) is particularly strong. The only thing it lacks is some pedal steel guitar. smile

Thank you David! Would you believe I tried pedal steel first - for some reason I just couldn't get the licks and sound I wanted so I finally abandoned it and went with the string quartet.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 11:01 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Lovely production (but as you say a tear-jerker) - something in your voice reminded me of Christine McVie.

Thank you Peter! Sometimes I hear that too, she's a fav of mine - what a writer.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 11:04 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Quote:
I'm missing me
the way I used to be

What a phrase!! Says so much.

I enjoyed that listen *wipes tears from eyes*
nice to hear you back!!

I was missing you laugh

Alyn
ps nice ending

Thank you Alyn! You're so sweet. I got the inspiration to slow down the ending from Charlie explaining how to do it. I didn't know how before.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 11:15 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Oh wow Josie!

That is just perfect and sounds like the sort of song which could earn money.

Loved everything about it and wouldn't change a thing.

Your voice sounds fabulous and the harmony is amazing. You were obviously going to sing this with emotion, but I have to say that it really comes through and makes the song what it is - perfect.

Just going to find the Kleenex before another listen.

Take care, ROG.

Thank you ROG! That means so much to me.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 11:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Simply one of your best at every level.

Charlie, thank you so much! And a special thanks for explaining how to slow down the ending in one of your other posts.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 11/23/15 11:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Without a doubt, this is my favorite from you.

The melody and progression reminded me a lot of some of David Allen Coe's classic country tunes.

Nice lyrical work in the chorus. This is also classic country word smithing.

My only nit is on the vox. Just a touch of melodyne to pull things into line would be a perfect touch. The chorus harmonies are really sweet... man I really loved the sound of the harmonies, however, I hear too many artifacts through out. Sounds like you used a harmonizer to create them.

Nits aside.... this is a really well done song.

I appreciate that so much Herb, thank you! The two harmony parts were done a track at a time with Melodyne Essentials so I could experiment, then put through different fx. I had planned on singing new ones to replace or put over them but life got in the way so I tried to make the best of what I had.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Missing Me - 11/24/15 09:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance

... The two harmony parts were done a track at a time with Melodyne Essentials so I could experiment, then put through different fx. I had planned on singing new ones to replace or put over them but life got in the way so I tried to make the best of what I had.

That's actually a good way to do harmonies.... get it right with ME and then replace them with live vocals tuning as needed.

I know the feeling of having daily life get in the way.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Missing Me - 11/24/15 12:07 PM
Oh yeah, tears in the beer! We love songs like
this - the ones that'll rip the paint right off of
your heart.

Tough to revisit...but many are glad that
you did and we include ourselves with them.

Our favorite from you!

Thanks for sharing.

J&B
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Missing Me - 11/25/15 10:01 PM

I like country music a lot and I think this is a supersong.

Great typical chords line; your voice is great, perfect for this song.

Here you remember me Tammy Wynette.

Sergio
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Missing Me - 11/25/15 10:56 PM
Really pretty, emotional song!! Really great lyrical concept. Harmonies in the chorus are beautiful. This is A-1 all the way. Love it!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 11/27/15 01:45 PM
Originally Posted By: SRP
Hi Josie,
The process of loving and then losing someone is masterfully described in this song from someone who could only have gone through it. And then for you to take it to the next step in wanting to find your old self again is just genius. I really enjoyed your writing and your vocals were just perfect. Great song!
Sonny

Thank you so much Sonny!

BTW, There's a typo in the second verse lyrics, it should say "feel THAT same old way" NOT "the" - I meant to edit it in my original post but I got busy and now can't but I'm singing "that" not "the" - little word makes a big difference. smile
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 11/27/15 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Josie, I'm on my 4th listen and not my last. I love the write, the melody and your vocal reading of the piece. My new favorite. Classic country! Nice work on the backing tracks. The only nit I have is the intro. Sometimes those piano tracks sound a little funny changing chords. ( depends on the progression ). I would have lengthened the intro a bit to smooth it out some. Your voice sounds spectacular on this. Lady you can really sing! ( and write ) This is so very good. Congrats on a job extremely well done! Tom

Thank you very much Tommy!
Posted By: olemon Re: Missing Me - 11/28/15 06:01 AM
Beautiful melody coupled with hard-hitting lyrics. Lots of appeal here, commercial appeal imho. Your delivery is memorable.

You've had some comments about the production and I'd echo those, but I also want to mention how much I like that piano RT. Smooth and clear.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Missing Me - 11/28/15 08:39 PM
hi Josie just awesome everything vocal arrangement nothing lacking plus 10+ thanks for sharing this song eric
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 11/30/15 10:58 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Josie,

Beautiful song Josie and we recognize the feeling in the lyrics.
Well done!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thank you very much Rob and Anne Marie!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 11/30/15 11:00 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Josie,

great song and awesome vocals and harmonies.
Nicely arranged.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

Guenter thank you very much!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 11/30/15 11:31 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Josie,

Your best, I think. Classic country sound. The melody on the chorus is a stand-out.

Nice arrangement and mix. Good use of the strings.

fj

Thank you very much FJ! As much country as you've done, and as well as you do it, I'm really happy you think so.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 12/01/15 12:12 AM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
This is gorgeous. Your best to date (that I've heard). Sorry for your loss, but some great songs have come from pain, and this is one of them.

Regards,

Bob

Bob, I appreciate that very much!

Now I'd like to write a happy one that makes me feel as good as Carolina Girl. That song of yours still sticks in my head and I'm not even from Carolina...
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 12/04/15 05:55 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Hey Josie,

This is excellent - loved everything about it. The vocal and melody line is just beautiful.

Bob

Hey Bob! So nice to see you around here and looking forward to your next one. Thank you!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 12/04/15 05:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Beautiful song. Loved the vocal and lyrics

Thank you very much Scott!
Posted By: dani48 Re: Missing Me - 12/04/15 06:52 PM
Hi, Josie !

Have to be your best !:))

Heavenly sounds !

Loved it very much !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 12/06/15 03:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Oh yeah, tears in the beer! We love songs like
this - the ones that'll rip the paint right off of
your heart.

Tough to revisit...but many are glad that
you did and we include ourselves with them.

Our favorite from you!

Thanks for sharing.

J&B

Thank you guys!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 12/06/15 03:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

I like country music a lot and I think this is a supersong.

Great typical chords line; your voice is great, perfect for this song.

Here you remember me Tammy Wynette.

Sergio

Sergio, thank you very much!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 12/06/15 03:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really pretty, emotional song!! Really great lyrical concept. Harmonies in the chorus are beautiful. This is A-1 all the way. Love it!! Take care. Greg

Greg, thank you very much!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 12/06/15 03:08 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi Josie just awesome everything vocal arrangement nothing lacking plus 10+ thanks for sharing this song eric

Thank you very much Eric!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 12/06/15 03:10 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Josie !

Have to be your best !:))

Heavenly sounds !

Loved it very much !

Cheers
Dani

Thank you very much Dani!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 12/06/15 03:11 PM
Originally Posted By: olemon
Beautiful melody coupled with hard-hitting lyrics. Lots of appeal here, commercial appeal imho. Your delivery is memorable.

You've had some comments about the production and I'd echo those, but I also want to mention how much I like that piano RT. Smooth and clear.

Scott, thank you very much!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Missing Me - 12/11/15 04:41 PM
Hi Josie,

I listened to this when you first posted it. My plan then was to come back a little later and comment. Unfortunately "a little later" became "a lot later"... I apologise for that.

This is so beautiful... The chords you've chosen for harmony are outstanding. I especially like the chord sequences that paint the aural canvas for the phrases "I'm missing me..." and "...I loved you so much, Now that I'm finally..." - incredibly emotional. And then there are the vocal harmonies... outstanding from every direction!

As I listened to you sing the second verse and into the chorus, it was like you stepped into my personal experiences and wrote a song just for me. I'm pretty sure there are a huge number of people who will feel exactly the same as me when they hear the song. I'm so very grateful for the journey through my memories that your song and your singing took me on. Everything about this resonated with me.

Such beautiful music. Thank you for making this morning special for me.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Missing Me - 12/11/15 05:52 PM
Hi Josie
I think I lost it at
"When we were a family
and me and you were we"
Reached for the hankie just about there!
Wonderful lyrics and great song.
Many thanks for a super song!! Sob!! smile
Ian
Posted By: MarioD Re: Missing Me - 12/11/15 06:22 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Good one. Cheers.

Along with "when me and you were we" these are the best two lines I have heard in a long time.

This is just outstanding!

You should be very proud of this one.

It's a keeper!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Missing Me - 12/17/15 02:03 AM
Quote:
As I listened to you sing the second verse and into the chorus, it was like you stepped into my personal experiences and wrote a song just for me.

Noel I appreciate every thing you said in your post and the quote above I think that may be the best compliment I could get as a songwriter - especially from another songwriter. Thank you very much! Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been a bit under the weather but feeling better now.

Ian, Thank you very much for listening and sorry to make you sad.

Mario, I appreciate that very much - thank you!

Thanks again to all who listened and commented. The next one will be happier. smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Missing Me - 12/17/15 11:57 AM
Hey Josie,

I just love this! A really wonderful song!!!! Well done!!
Posted By: Skyline Re: Missing Me - 12/19/15 12:52 PM
I'm glad I didn't miss this one! Super work Josie. I love your harmonies.

John
© PG Music Forums