PG Music Home
Posted By: Even If WWJD (Better take a look at yourself) . . . - 01/20/16 04:25 AM
So the song started out on an acoustic a little while back. . .
I then wrote the Chord sheet . . .
then I found the 2 styles that worked with it in Biab . . . yes, there are two styles combined in this one - one straight and one swing

1) _TEXASRK.sty Texas Rock Even
2) _STHRKJN.sty Southern rock Swing w/piano

I added leads 1722 and 422 and I added organ 425

I then rendered and put in Zoom R24 . . .

I then recorded an acoustic track with the feel I couldn't get in BiaB

Once that was done, I hooked my Roland TD-20 set up to the Zoom and did a single take scratch drum track using V-Expressions Sonor S-Class modeling which sounds amazingly like my actual Sonor S-Class acoustic drum set.

The singer came up this weekend and recorded scratch vocals for the song . . .

* some have made comments about my version of scratch . . . learning the song or recording it as a placeholder so you can see what you liked what you didn't what worked and what didn't . . .

I used Cubase Elements to add a scratch mix and experiment with different sounds for the eventual mix . . .

the acoustic I recorded had the free amplitube 800 crunch setting applied to it . . . I then applied CLA guitar on top of that and the acoustic disappeared crazy

Here is the link to the song:

https://soundcloud.com/user-812843012/wwjd-better-take-a-look-at-yourself

Blessings!
Now, that, is some rock. One of the better uses of rock style that actually sounds like a real band playing.

The lead is "inspired"...I also loved the intro guitar.

Vocals have a good vibe to them and I caught a bit of a Neil Young feel to them in a few places.

The switch to swing at 2:00 .... still not sure about that..... it was good and well done. The cut back at 2:43 seemed a bit off kilter to me.... not smoothly done. I think the swing section would be better served as the core to a whole new song that stands on it's own, not as a 45 second interlude/rabbit path in this one.

Personally I would probably not have jumped styles, but you did a fairly good job on it. Most folks won't nit pick it like I tend to do. I recall some songs back in the day that did jump styles like that..... 4/4 to 3/4 and even to swing.... and back... we even did a few things like that live....switching time sigs really screws with the dancers.

With this song, I would drop the swing section and that would shorten the song total running time by 45 seconds. Let that cool drum thing go to a short hold....silence for a second like at 3:22.... then back in to the section at 2:45 .... that's an easy edit point. Keep that song rocking along heavy like it starts and ends....

Do I understand correctly that the drums are recorded live? Expound on that if so.

I love a B3 and this style lends well to the hammond.... I would consider bringing it into the picture earlier and certainly have it holding down the rhythm starting with the guitar solo and being present from that point forward.

Of course, you can leave the song like it is now and roll on.

Nice work on this tune...
Thanks Herb

Yes the Drums are live . . . Roland TD-20 with V Expressions modeling (not stock Roland sounds) . . . http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

8 separate outs to 8 ins of Zoom24 . . .

1 take - no metronome - just for scratch purposes

I use electronic drums to practice silently
and to lay scratch tracks . . . and for some live stuff . . . easier than carrying congas, djembes and timpani

In the studio, I use my acoustic kit . . . however, for scratch that is much more work (mics etc).

Blessings!
Excellent work. Beautiful, rocking song and top notch at every level.
Nice drumming! Pretty crazy actually...but not out of place by any means.

I would say great job all the way around!
Excellent song. Your hard work and use of different technologies really paid off. Guitar and Vocal were superb..
Thanks Charlie - Blessings!
thanks HeartoLearn! blessings!
thanks Scott! blessings!
Posted By: SRP Re: WWJD (Better take a look at yourself) . . . - 01/21/16 01:46 AM
Fantastic piece of work! The mix, vocals and instruments all combined together to produce an outstanding song. Great job!
Sonny
Thanks Sonny! Blessings!
Very nice work, I would probably agree with Guitar Hacker on the swing section though.

Well done.
Now, that, is some rock. One of the better uses of rock style that actually sounds like a real band playing.

The lead is "inspired"...I also loved the intro guitar.

Agree with Herb!! This feels very organic, and "inspired". Feels right out of the late 60's, my favorite era. Very well done!! Take care. Greg
thanks toucher - blessings!
thanks Greg! Blessings!
© PG Music Forums