PG Music Home
Posted By: fgrittner The Tell - 01/21/16 04:59 PM
I just posted this recording to my 52 Tracks blog site. (One new recording a week for 2016).

I used Acoustic Guitar Bass swing 110, Resonator Guitar Background Roundup swing 120, and Real Drums Jazz Brushes.

I added National resonator guitar and mandolin for rhythm parts.

http://52tracksblog.com/2016/01/21/track-3-the-tell/

Thanks for listening.
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Tell - 01/21/16 05:27 PM
Very nice Fred.Loved the lyric and the vocal was well done
Posted By: fgrittner Re: The Tell - 01/22/16 02:12 AM
Thanks, Scott. I won't be posting here anymore. I don't have anyone listening.I am not bitter. Have fun with your songs.
Posted By: JeffB720 Re: The Tell - 01/22/16 03:19 AM
Hi Fred,

I really liked that song! Really laid back and a great concept. Liked your voice on it as well.

Nice job!
The tracks sounded like someone playing them but I assume they were BIAB. You know how to use BIAB really well.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The Tell - 01/22/16 03:28 AM
Nice song Fred. I liked the country arrangement and the mandolin fitted nicely.
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Tell - 01/23/16 03:10 AM
Fred
Very well produced laid back and melodic. Nice story telling.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: The Tell - 01/23/16 10:54 AM
Nice write, arrangement and production. I also liked reading the back story.

I hope you rethink about posting here on the forum. I enjoy your work and look forward to seeing you post. I'm sure there are others as well.

I'm not sure I follow your listening expectation. There are currently 24,174 registered members but considerably less than a hundred of those members are regular forum contributors. Probably less than 25 are regular User Showcase commenters. 8 listens or comments means 1/3 of the active base listens to your song. This song is up to 5 comments and 47 views in two days as of 8:47 am est.

The User Showcase is not only intended for us to enjoy your song but to analyze how BIAB was used in the creation process. One may garner as much inspiration from your choice of instruments or the back story of a song as they do the melody or lyrics.

Anyway, I hope you reconsider posting here.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: The Tell - 01/23/16 11:24 AM
Fred,

This is very cleverly done. I love the "tell" metaphor. Hope you stick around.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Tell - 01/23/16 12:29 PM
Fred, Nice write and and well sung. Good choice of real tracks that work well in the sparse arrangement. As far as posting it's like the lottery, you can't win if you don't play. I hope you reconsider. I enjoy your songs. Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Tell - 01/23/16 12:38 PM
A good listen, Fred. I thought the vocal could come down a bit (2 dB maybe) to sit in the mix better. - fj
Posted By: SRP Re: The Tell - 01/23/16 06:46 PM
Fred I do hope you will reconsider posting again. You have a good handle on BIAB and I know that you can add so much to this showcase. Your songs are very good and you do know how to write. This song today shows your strength and I do look forward to hearing more from you.
Sonny
Posted By: fgrittner Re: The Tell - 01/24/16 01:38 AM
Thanks guys. I overreacted at the end of a long day. I will continue to post. Thanks for the thoughtful and constructive comments.

Floyd Jane is right--the vocal level is too high. I will remix and knock off 2 or 3 dbs.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: The Tell - 01/24/16 11:15 AM
I love 1940s production vibe here. Were you using a 1910 Martin parlor on this one??

Sounds great!!
Posted By: fgrittner Re: The Tell - 01/24/16 02:14 PM
Thanks, David. I wish I had a 1910 Martin parlor guitar! I used a 1932 National Trojan resonator guitar. It has a wood body rather than a steel body--I read that National bought the bodies from Harmony. I had it restored a few years ago and it is a versatile instrument. If I bear down on the strings I can make it a typical National blues guitar. If I fingerpick or lightly strum it, I get a wonderfully balanced tone. I got lucky last week--I found my long-missing tortoise shell pick that I bought in the early 70s before they were outlawed. Strumming the Trojan with that pick captured the texture I wanted for the song.

Now, to choose a song to record for this Thursday's release.
© PG Music Forums