PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 02/17/16 02:21 PM
OK so it took me some time to try to figure out my video software...and after spinning my wheels for several days, I opted to go with a very simple and straight up video I put together using WMM.

Here it is.... http://onstage.amplifiertv.com/channel/Guitarhacker

Feel free to follow the channel and share the video link with friends....

Thanks
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 02/17/16 02:36 PM
Herb, I have a few things to say...

Typically I find videos that showcase a performer distracting. I think it's how many people look so much into the camera. It takes me out of the song.

When I watch studio sessions of musicians though, they don't do that. They simply play their part and the camera records that event happening. I'm so glad the was the route you chose. I really felt like I was just watching a really good studio session! I really enjoyed that!

Next, your playing, to me, fits the song perfectly! It's strong where it needs to be, yet in an understated way. As I originally mentioned, the whole vibe of the song reminds me of Fleetwood Mac...your addition helps achieve that vibe.

I'm not big on commenting to often with what people do in the showcase. Even compliments can be taken wrong at times. The video was a really nice to see and as directly as I can state this...I love what you did with this song!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 02/17/16 03:59 PM
Excellent Herb. Looks like a lot of fun and you seemed to enjoy yourself.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 02/17/16 04:27 PM
Very cool. This is some awesome guitar playing. That particular tone in the lead reminds me of some famous band from the 70s--I can't quite place it, it is not Fleetwood Mac, and it is not England Dan and John Ford Coley, but some famous group used an almost identical tone on a very famous song and is driving me crazy!! What is it!!!

Anyway, the playing is excellent and the tone totally works and brings back the good old days in a good way.
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 02/17/16 05:46 PM
Herb, excellent playing - great tone. Really enjoyed this.

Bob
Posted By: 44kfl Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 02/17/16 06:29 PM
Great playing Herb, very nice video. My screen shows 32 points, it should be much higher just for that faded Beatles T shirt. Nice, tasteful licks, haven't heard the song before, off the new Vince Gill CD ? "That's How It's Done" perfect ending statement.

Kenny
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 02/17/16 06:52 PM
Very cool guys... thanks for listening and watching....

As far as points.... it just went up there today and fortunately, as I understand it.... points are not the determining factor. I believe there will be some folks listening to the cuts to see which ones are more in line with what Gill says they are looking for.... that kind of helps to thwart the shredders who have a ton of friends from making this into a popularity contest alone.

But regardless of how it turns out... this was one fun project to work on. Well, aside from singing on Floyd's new "drunk in a bar" chorus of course.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 02/17/16 07:49 PM
Really enjoyed your playing Herb.
Great delivery.
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 02/18/16 06:13 AM
Very cool, Herb! Its always a treat seeing a musician enjoying his craft. No silliness or exaggerated facial expressions and body contortions ... just excellent guitar playing.

Thanks for posting his. We really liked the video! Best to you!

Alan & Di
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 02/18/16 10:09 AM
Thanks VT and A&D....I'm not one of those pickers who does extreme facial or other contortions when playing. Of course, some just kinda sneak out...

I looked up the judging criteria: Performances will be evaluated by the Guitar Center judging panel and Vince Gill based on the following criteria: technique, authenticity, originality, and style.

No mention in there of points counting for much of anything.
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 02/18/16 10:16 AM
Herb, I don't think you hacked it up at all. Really great job. If I were judging you definitely would be in the running. Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 02/18/16 01:46 PM
Well done, Herb. In the previous version (audio), the solo sort of jumped out of the mix a little (just a little), but this one is well-settled in the mix. Tastefully done. Well played. - fj
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 02/18/16 08:14 PM
Tommy: have you had a look at the other entrants to this point? I had a gander at the leader-board today..... one guy with a metallic t-shirt and a brittle lead tone.... another entered with a bass part...... there were a few good ones in there too. There's still a good 5 weeks or so left so anything can still happen.... I'm just watching to see how it shakes out.

Floyd: Yeah, I backed the entire lead part down a dB or so.... Tasty beats flashy in my book any day..... thanks!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 02/18/16 09:33 PM
Very cool Herb!! I did not know the song-really like it. I though you played it great. I heard some Lindsay Buckingham feel in it. Excellent job! Enjoyed much!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 02/19/16 09:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool Herb!! I did not know the song-really like it. I though you played it great. I heard some Lindsay Buckingham feel in it. Excellent job! Enjoyed much!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg... I had never heard it until this contest event either. I did however, go back and listen to the original after I had laid down my interpretation of the song. I'm glad I played it first and then listened to Vince's original parts. That way, nothing he did influenced me.

I agree, I really like the underlying song. Thanks for listening.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 03/06/16 09:23 PM
Absolutely shameless Bump.....

Wow... this had fallen all the way to page 4.... ouch...

It's still bopping around the top of some other forums and places and is now past 210 hits.

If you missed it first time around, get in while the gettin's good.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 03/07/16 07:47 AM
I'm glad it got back to the top too - missed it first time around - too much going on back here frown
DOnt know the song but I know good guitar playing when I hear it. Excellent!
Oooh - and that gorgeous Mesa Boogie and sunny Tele. Drool!!!
cheers
ian
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 03/08/16 01:07 PM
Tasteful (the key IMO), interesting, sits in well,
adds but takes nothing away...it works for us!

J&B
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 03/08/16 01:25 PM
Ian... thanks for watching.... Yeah than gorgeous Mesa.... When I bought it, I thought I was paying way too much for an amp of that size and power.... but shortly after, I had people telling me that my guitar sounded really amazing.... and I've been offered twice what I paid for it... but it's not for sale. It's amazing what 22 watts done right can sound like. And the Tele,,,, well I almost sold it and was actually talking with a guy about it when another friend recommended I check out the Joyo UD and then if I didn't like the Tele tone to go ahead and sell it.

Janice & Bud.... taste... man that's what it's all about. In my time I had wanted to be a player who could shred, but then I set back and listen to my soul filled tasteful hero's like Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck, Mark Knopler, and so many others.... Along the way, I picked up some shredding techniques but have always gravitated back to being tasteful over being flashy. Anybody can learn some soulless flashy stuff....but not everyone can dig deep into their soul and heart to play things that will make you cry or make the hair stand up on your neck.... that's the kind of player I would prefer to be. I see 7 year old kids on FB shredding the guitar but there's not a single gleam of inspiration or soul or feeling in their eyes...and I see that in some of the videos on that site... no feelings in it..... As Vince said in the video... Play from the heart.
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 03/08/16 04:30 PM
What a cool video. Looked like you were having a blast. Excellent playing and loved the tone of your Tele. Very interesting pickup arrangement on it.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 03/09/16 09:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
What a cool video. Looked like you were having a blast. Excellent playing and loved the tone of your Tele. Very interesting pickup arrangement on it.

I was having a blast... that was a lot of fun. The Tele was a new design they came out with. It has a Tele PU at the neck, a Strat PU in the center and a split coil humbucker PU at the bridge. The tone was from the Mesa, the Joyo UD pedal and the pickup choice. IIRC it's on #4 position.... humbucker split with phase set to the least hum. Nothing was particularly loud either. Master on the MB was about 3 or 4 and the clean channel actually.

Scott, thanks for watching
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 03/10/16 09:38 AM
Hey everybody... put this on you daily list of things to do....

They use some sort of algorithm to select the top 100 most active participants and that's based on folks listening.

Book mark it and listen daily. Even if you have to turn the audio down....and use that 5 minutes to get another cup of coffee.

Thanks.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 03/11/16 09:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Hey everybody... put this on you daily list of things to do....

They use some sort of algorithm to select the top 100 most active participants and that's based on folks listening.

Book mark it and listen daily. Even if you have to turn the audio down....and use that 5 minutes to get another cup of coffee.

Thanks.

Done...
Posted By: RnAM Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 03/16/16 10:20 AM
Hi Herb,

It seems we missed this one. Rob loves Vince Gill's music very much!
The guitar you added sounds really good!
We "liked" it and posted a comment.
Thanks for supporting us!
And you're quite right about contests and the views that are needed to win.
But in this case it's not just the views, the people who organized this contest also pick out people they think are talented even if they do not have many views.
And that's what we hope for, draw their attention, because of course we can't cope with all those young ones and their social media contact!
But... watching the video surely helps!

Anne-Marie
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Video of TAKE ME DOWN - 03/17/16 09:01 AM
Anne-Marie and Rob....

Thanks for taking the time to watch.... checked in this morning and the video page has now reached 300 points....

Drawing attention of the judges is what you're looking for as am I. Wishing you guys the best in your event.....hoping for the same here.

Thanks again.
© PG Music Forums