PG Music Home
Hi forum friends. I was approached by our resident jazz master Dean Clark, aka Aleck Rand about singing a cool, mellow jazz number I had never heard. Upon listening to the song, I loved it. Dean was kind enough to construct an amazing music track (the man knows his jazz) and I was extremely flattered to have the opportunity to give it a try. Although it is somewhat over my head, we did it anyway! Thanks so much to Dean for being a wonderful collaborator and bringing me in on this. Hope you enjoy! I believe only the drums are an RT. Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/just-dropped-by-to-say-hello
Well, this woke me up! Wow! I had a recording of the late, great Johnny Hartman singing this. In fact, until you, I never heard anyone else do it (perhaps a little known jazz singer named Arthur Prysock). At any rate, you nailed it. Truly and marvelously. Sounds a lot like Chet Baker to my ears. Great job, Greg.
-Carolyne
Beautiful song Greg and Dean. Well done
Hi, Greg and Aleck !:))

This is wonderfully played
and sung ! I loved everything
about it !!!:))....and Greg
is a fantastic Jazz singer as
he can do it without any vibra
on the voice .....WOW !!
Great guys! Outstanding vocal Greg...

Bob
Greg and Dean.

Johnson & Clark. Ah...that's better...

What a delight! Greg - your were born to this. What a gorgeous vocal! I think you may need to quit your day job, find a jazz trio, and hit the circuit. You sang that the way it was meant to be sung.

The drums and bass are perfect. The e piano - super. The trumpet is a good compliment.

Mix is excellent. A super listen.

floyd

Mr. Smooth on vocals, so very good, Greg and Aleck, great job on this. So nice on this warm afternoon, why yes, bring me another intoxicant, make mine neat! All kidding aside, very good, I enjoyed this very much, it just took me by surprise.

Kenny
Hi Greg and Dean,
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
What a delight! Greg - your were born to this. What a gorgeous vocal! I think you may need to quit your day job, find a jazz trio, and hit the circuit. You sang that the way it was meant to be sung.
The drums and bass are perfect. The e piano - super. The trumpet is a good compliment.

Couldn't say it better. I'm totally flashed.

Guenter
Smooth is exactly the word.
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Greg and Dean,
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Couldn't say it better. I'm totally flashed.

Guenter

Greg & Dean
As they both said - superb!
Wow! What a collaboration.

It's hard to image an greater team.

Genius personified

Dean always stretches the boundaries.

Greg always delivers an impeccable performance.

'Going to listen to some more.

Smooth, Cool, Real Nice.
Very nice guys!
Greg, this music suits your voice very well (or the other way around grin)

Rob and Anne-Marie
Thanks Caroline!! Good to see you around again. Your comments meant a lot to me, as you are a very good jazz writer/singer. I will have to look up Chet Baker on Youtube. I know the name well but have heard little or nothing by him. Thanks again! Take care. Greg
Hey Genre Buster Johnson, that was quite the surprise!
The forum California Sound man definitely shows another
side.

We have listened to enough jazz to appreciate the
thought and effort that went into this arrangement. You and
Dean absolutely nailed the vibe.

This has a feel that readily brings up film imagery galore.
B&W images with candlelight and ice tinkling in a glass
while the jazz band playsover the lady's shoulder on a small
stage as she stares across the room.

Pardon the ramble! Yes, we much enjoyed it.

Great work!

J&B
Smooth and sexy. Beautifully done guys!
Carolyn,

You are a real hipster - Big Art was never "little known" to you, me and plenty of others. In fact I patterned my "singing" style, when I could sing, on his. The way you caught Chet Baker really sealed it. Didn't Greg do a great job? Thanks from the both of us. I've been away from the Forum of necessity for some time. But I intend to thank everyone for their kind remarks.

Dean
Hey Floyd,

Thanks so much for the beautiful compliment. But you mean after spending a fortune hunting down the best horn sounds - Session Horns Pro, Hollywood Brass, etc. - my best trombone sounds like a trumpet? Bluuuhhh ...

OK, maybe horn sampling is not quite there yet, but really glad you liked the tune. Johnson and Clark sounds good to me but I wonder if it might be confused with a manufacturer of band-aids or household cleaning products. I don't care, I still like it. Thank you.

Dean
Josie,

I love your new pic. You always look good, but somehow different in each one. Glad you like the tune. Greg and I worked efficiently like a well-oiled machine. Like we did.

Thanks, Dean
Aleck,
Great arrangement. I didn't make, or at least, understand the connection before with you and Greg, for some reason. Didn't mean to overlook your collaboration.
-Carolyne

Excellent interpretation of a super song.
Sergio
This sounds great!!
HI Greg & Dean ...

So danged cool! I agree with the previous Chet Baker analogy. Chet was the composer and original vocalist of "Everything Happens To Me" ... I'm sure Dean already new that!

Greg, love that soft sound of your voice! T hat would draw all the lounge lizards from hiding in thew dark! Wonderful!

Dean, your arrangement is spectacular! You;re a master of Jazz! Great work, my friend. Hope you are doing well.

Best to both of you ....

Alan & Di
Hi Greg and Dean. This is really lovely. Well done.
Dean and Greg,

This is a spectacular listen. Seriously!

Greg: your vocals are a hand-in-glove fit for this genre. I can't imagine anyone doing a better job than what you have. Stunning.

Dean: your arrangement, your multi-instrumental performances and your mix are excellent. As I sat here listening, I simply closed my eyes and took in the musical scenery as I travelled along with you.

As I said at the start, this is a spectacular listen.
Noel
Thanks for the kind words Scott. It was a real pleasure to collaborate with Dean! Take care. Greg
Hi Dani. Thanks so much for your enthusiastic review! You've worked with Dean and I'm sure you appreciate his amazing talent as much as I do. It was a very cool experience. Thanks again! Take care. Greg
Hello, Greg

Very very nice vocal and Rhodes Piano.
It reminded me “She Was Too Good To Me” sung by Chet Baker accompanied with Bob James (Rhodes Piano) and Don Sebesky (Arrangement).
I wanted to study more jazz voicing after listening this piano play.
Thank you very much for your posting this song.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Thanks David,

I think Greg not only broke into new territory, but did it as though pre-equipped with just the right vocal sensibilities to do this type of tune. Not every singer can do that. Hats off from the both of us to Greg.

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)
Thanks Bob! Appreciate the nice comments. I've never tried singing anything like this before. It was fun, and Dean set up a beautiful arrangement! Take care. Greg
Floyd, you are too kind! Nice words from you are greatly appreciated as your knowledge of the artistic and technical aspects of music is really up there. Thanks so much!! Take care. Greg
Thanks for the kind words Kenny. It's great to see you back around! Take care. Greg
Thanks Guenter! Appreciate your nice re-review. Always love to hear your stuff! Take care. Greg
THanks so much David. Always interested in what you have to say-you are a very active listener. Take care. Greg
THanks Peter, for echoing the kind words. We appreciate it! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums