that five-foot-ten-inch doll
i set aside my rule, a love-sick fool
my heart beating like a drum
it couldn't get any better 'til her dear john letter said
baby, you're not the one

repeat chorus

THE BAND....
RealTracks in style: 1693:Bass, Electric, CountryDrivin8thsA-B Ev 150
RealTracks in song: 845:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockPopping Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 412:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Cowboy Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 1726:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm HonkyTonkJohn Ev 120
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open

Hope you enjoy it. Comments welcome.
Have at it.

floyd
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/27/16 12:51 PM
Oh come on!!!!! I can promise you that most people who hear this song will have NO idea how advanced it is!

"no more crawling or waiting for her call and" is one of the MANY examples of what's going on.

More obvious, but EXTREMELY effective..."this is gonna stop....right here."

I'll let everyone else give you praise. You simply ticked me off wink smile

Once again, stellar!
Posted By: RnAM Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/27/16 04:18 PM
A very nice country rock 'n roller!
Solid vocals too, as always ;-)
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/27/16 05:17 PM
Floyd
Clever lyrics good melody, catchy chorus, well sung, liked the pause after "this has gotta stop".
Another excellent composition.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/27/16 06:40 PM
this boy's done feeling like some
headlight-paralyzed deer
the rest of me might just keep on running
but the heart stops here

Love that payoff for the chorus!! If I listed all of the great things about this, I'd kill a virtual tree (too many 1's and 0's). Fantastic song "angle", great lyrics, and music/vocals/mix to complete a wonderful delivery. Floyd continues to bat 1000!! Great, fun stuff Floyd!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Tommyc Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/27/16 06:48 PM
Great Song and Mix!
Posted By: gruverider Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/27/16 08:02 PM
Super! Your Lyrics are marvelous! The song is very tight and right in the pocket.

(on my second listen, I wondered how it might feel with a modulation at the second verse?)

What you did with the reverb at the brakes was great, and I smiled at your vocal "here-rrrr" in the fade-out.
Posted By: critter Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/28/16 01:23 AM
Another great one from the master. Fantastic all around, great dance tune, and a toe tapper too!!!!!
Posted By: PaddyG Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/28/16 07:31 AM
Floyd,
Great song, great story line. So ‘no more slow dancing” you lament, who needs it, just give me more of this ‘Rocking drive, for a cheer up, it really works for me.

Paddy G
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/28/16 09:07 AM
Cool retro country rocker.... it moves along nicely.

Good job on the lyric crafting.

I like the production chops too.
Posted By: boehm Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/28/16 11:38 AM
Hi Floyd,

great lyrics. "this boy's done feeling like some headlight-paralyzed deer". I love this imagery.
Music, vocals and mix are outstanding as always.
Another of your hits.
I really enjoyed my listens.

Guenter
Posted By: fgrittner Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/28/16 01:24 PM
WOW! Great song and vocal. Your arranging, editing, and mixing of RTs is off the charts. I am taking notes for my recordings. Thanks for sharing.

Fred
Posted By: David Snyder Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/28/16 07:13 PM
This is a lot of fun Floyd.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/28/16 07:50 PM
Country Rockin' at its best. This is a good write, performance and production. I always enjoy your stuff, and you give us a lot of variety.
Posted By: musiclover Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/28/16 08:18 PM
No one can do country like Floyd can do, good song nice melody line and great production, really enjoyed the listen.

Musiclover
Posted By: animarorecords Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/29/16 02:21 AM
Hello, floyd

What a powerful sound and vocal.
I entirely agree with Charlie. I am always watching your stuff, too.
I enjoyed listening a lot.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: rayc Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/29/16 08:26 AM
Cool lyrics to take the usual grief based story and slap it around with clever lines and a cool melody.
Now, I wonder when BIAB will have some Brownsville styles.
Cool work floyd jane.
Posted By: Even If Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/29/16 11:10 AM
several comments:

so many songwriters neglect the beginning of songs and their song has a hard time getting off the ground . . . not this song . . . the beginning catches you the minute you start listening!

I like to use double entendres in music, so when I hear someone else do it, I smile to myself.
when you did a break at "this is gonna stop....right here", I was like YES! Good Job! way to drive home the point using the music to emphasize the point!

I like the emphasis with the drums on "the rest of me might just keep on running" - I think I would have even seen you take it out another bar so I could run far enough away grin

very well constructed and thought out sound Floyd! Blessings!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/29/16 02:26 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Oh come on!!!!! I can promise you that most people who hear this song will have NO idea how advanced it is!

"no more crawling or waiting for her call and" is one of the MANY examples of what's going on.

More obvious, but EXTREMELY effective..."this is gonna stop....right here."

I'll let everyone else give you praise. You simply ticked me off wink smile

Once again, stellar!

Caaron - Ya put it out there and hope that the light shines somewhere, ya know? Your "recognition" is appreciated, for sure. Have to say... I was pretty tickled about crawling/call and/falling... smile Thanks, buddy...
Posted By: ROG Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/29/16 03:01 PM
Hi Floyd.

A great song with a fabulous sound and a loud mix mix which doesn't sound over-compressed.

What a very, VERY clever arrangement. Holds your attention from the first bar to the last.

Super professional as ever, Floyd.

ROG.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/29/16 04:05 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
A very nice country rock 'n roller!
Solid vocals too, as always ;-)

Thanks, y'all...

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Floyd
Clever lyrics good melody, catchy chorus, well sung, liked the pause after "this has gotta stop".
Another excellent composition.

Appreciate that, Peter...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/30/16 09:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
this boy's done feeling like some
headlight-paralyzed deer
the rest of me might just keep on running
but the heart stops here

Love that payoff for the chorus!! If I listed all of the great things about this, I'd kill a virtual tree (too many 1's and 0's). Fantastic song "angle", great lyrics, and music/vocals/mix to complete a wonderful delivery. Floyd continues to bat 1000!! Great, fun stuff Floyd!! Take care. Greg

HAHA! "kill a virtual tree..." Thanks for the fun review, Greg...

Originally Posted By: Tommyc
Great Song and Mix!

Thanks, Tommy...

Originally Posted By: gruverider
Super! Your Lyrics are marvelous! The song is very tight and right in the pocket.

(on my second listen, I wondered how it might feel with a modulation at the second verse?)

What you did with the reverb at the brakes was great, and I smiled at your vocal "here-rrrr" in the fade-out.

Thanks, Lawrence. Always nice when the "little things" are noticed and appreciated. Every time I here that last "here..." I think "Russel Smith...Amazing Rhythm Aces" (and "where'd that come from?")
Posted By: 44kfl Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/30/16 12:33 PM
Great! Sounds like it would be a juke box mainstay to me. I can smell the spilled beer and sawdust on the dance floor, and this one's been in the rotation so long that everyone knows it by it's letter and number. Darlin' play that G 29 again,
I feel like dancin', let's give it a whirl! (or something like that). And for some weird reason I think of Queen and imagine Freddie Mercury and someone says, hey how about a good old fashioned rocker like Elvis used to do? and Freddie comes up with Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Someone says, Floyd, how about a good old fashioned country driving dance song like you don't hear much anymore and Floyd comes up with a great one.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/30/16 03:02 PM
hi Floyd oh yeah nicely done great job thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/30/16 07:34 PM
Originally Posted By: critter
Another great one from the master. Fantastic all around, great dance tune, and a toe tapper too!!!!!

Steve - always a surprise to see you pop up - and always welcome... Thanks! You need to be putting up some songs...

Originally Posted By: PaddyG
Floyd,
Great song, great story line. So ‘no more slow dancing” you lament, who needs it, just give me more of this ‘Rocking drive, for a cheer up, it really works for me.

Paddy G

Paddy - I'm pleased to see you here, being a part of the Showcase... we need good, solid support - you are a welcome addition and I know you have a lot to offer...Thanks for the nice review....

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool retro country rocker.... it moves along nicely.

Good job on the lyric crafting.

I like the production chops too.

Appreciated, Herb....
Posted By: Caloo Re: The Heart Stops Here - 04/30/16 10:25 PM
Floyd, before litening any song of you,I guess I will have compliments to write.
I didn't mistake one more time. Explosive tune and voice !!!
Cheers
Pascal
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Heart Stops Here - 05/01/16 03:05 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd,

great lyrics. "this boy's done feeling like some headlight-paralyzed deer". I love this imagery.
Music, vocals and mix are outstanding as always.
Another of your hits.
I really enjoyed my listens.

Guenter

Thanks, Guenter... as always, thanks for the continuing support..

Originally Posted By: fgrittner
WOW! Great song and vocal. Your arranging, editing, and mixing of RTs is off the charts. I am taking notes for my recordings. Thanks for sharing.

Fred

Appreciate that, Fred. (you're pretty good at it, yourself...)
Posted By: Carolyne Re: The Heart Stops Here - 05/02/16 01:25 PM
You are a great writer and performer Floyd Jane. Top shelf lyrics. I love the Truman pun (laughing). It would have very clever to have gotten that into the song somehow. Good stuff.
-Carolyne
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: The Heart Stops Here - 05/02/16 02:48 PM
WOO HOO!!!

I LOVE THIS! It's so clever from start to finish... your rhymes are all very original... not a single cliche anywhere... and they have zing too!

Above the rhymes, the concept is also a very fresh adaptation of an age-old C&W theme... the title is also very appropriately woven into the mix without sounding contrived in any way shape or form!

Your choice of real tracks is as snappy as your delivery... perfect match all around... and you did all the right things to make your drums pop! There is a wide variety of skill evident in every aspect of this song, and the end result is just a complete immersion in the inimitable floyd jane experience!

Floyd.. (I'm not kidding here.. dead serious...) if you ever decide to take your show on the road, I want first shot at being in the band. I'll play any instrument in the mix, work as roadie or do sound just to be part of your group. Stick it in the back of your mind for future reference. ;-)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Heart Stops Here - 05/02/16 06:24 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
This is a lot of fun Floyd.

Glad you had fun, David...

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Country Rockin' at its best. This is a good write, performance and production. I always enjoy your stuff, and you give us a lot of variety.

Thanks, Charlie...I like to shake it up..gets boring doing the same thing all the time...

Originally Posted By: musiclover
No one can do country like Floyd can do, good song nice melody line and great production, really enjoyed the listen.

Musiclover

Appreciate that, musiclover... thanks for dropping by...
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: The Heart Stops Here - 05/03/16 04:26 PM

Hello,
another great one from you.
High level production as usual

Sergio
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Heart Stops Here - 05/03/16 07:12 PM
Dang! In the proverbial perfect world we'd flash back a few
years and Brooks and Dunn would have this at the top of
the chart. Really. Well, the write is better than the stuff
they did...but you get the point smile

Some us dink around with multiple genres/sub-genere's and
on occasion get away with it. But you are able to excel in them
from jazz (In The City) to country rock and a heap more in
between.

The write perfectly fits the groove although it is more nuanced
and subtle than one would anticipate for a country rocker.
And, man, that fj signature production. It's loud but nothing
is squashed (my new technical term) and EVERYTHING has it's
little niche happily and politely residing with everything else in the mix.

Superb!

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Heart Stops Here - 05/04/16 07:32 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, floyd

What a powerful sound and vocal.
I entirely agree with Charlie. I am always watching your stuff, too.
I enjoyed listening a lot.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki - I appreciate you coming by to listen to my music... I imagine Country is not one of you favorites... smile (your stuff is very professional!)

Originally Posted By: rayc
Cool lyrics to take the usual grief based story and slap it around with clever lines and a cool melody.
Now, I wonder when BIAB will have some Brownsville styles.
Cool work floyd jane.

Thanks, ray... I believe, with a little imagination and experimentation, you can make BIAB do almost anything you want...

Originally Posted By: Even If
several comments:

so many songwriters neglect the beginning of songs and their song has a hard time getting off the ground . . . not this song . . . the beginning catches you the minute you start listening!

I like to use double entendres in music, so when I hear someone else do it, I smile to myself.
when you did a break at "this is gonna stop....right here", I was like YES! Good Job! way to drive home the point using the music to emphasize the point!

I like the emphasis with the drums on "the rest of me might just keep on running" - I think I would have even seen you take it out another bar so I could run far enough away grin

very well constructed and thought out sound Floyd! Blessings!

Thanks, Bill... Apprecaite that...
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The Heart Stops Here - 05/05/16 04:14 PM
Floyd

Another one of your impeccable deliveries. This is really good, I mean really good.

Sensational lyrics, fantastic feel throughout, great Country driving delivery.

You've excelled again.

Trevor
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Heart Stops Here - 05/06/16 03:22 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

A great song with a fabulous sound and a loud mix mix which doesn't sound over-compressed.

What a very, VERY clever arrangement. Holds your attention from the first bar to the last.

Super professional as ever, Floyd.

ROG.

Always appreciate hearing your take on these, ROG. Thanks...

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Great! Sounds like it would be a juke box mainstay to me. I can smell the spilled beer and sawdust on the dance floor, and this one's been in the rotation so long that everyone knows it by it's letter and number. Darlin' play that G 29 again,
I feel like dancin', let's give it a whirl! (or something like that). And for some weird reason I think of Queen and imagine Freddie Mercury and someone says, hey how about a good old fashioned rocker like Elvis used to do? and Freddie comes up with Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Someone says, Floyd, how about a good old fashioned country driving dance song like you don't hear much anymore and Floyd comes up with a great one.

HAHAHA! I totally enjoyed that review, Kenny!!!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Heart Stops Here - 05/07/16 09:52 AM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi Floyd oh yeah nicely done great job thanks for sharing eric

Thanks, Eric.

Originally Posted By: Caloo
Floyd, before litening any song of you,I guess I will have compliments to write.
I didn't mistake one more time. Explosive tune and voice !!!
Cheers
Pascal

Thanks you, Pascal...

Originally Posted By: Carolyne
You are a great writer and performer Floyd Jane. Top shelf lyrics. I love the Truman pun (laughing). It would have very clever to have gotten that into the song somehow. Good stuff.
-Carolyne

Appreciate it, Carolyne...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Heart Stops Here - 05/07/16 10:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
WOO HOO!!!

I LOVE THIS! It's so clever from start to finish... your rhymes are all very original... not a single cliche anywhere... and they have zing too!

Above the rhymes, the concept is also a very fresh adaptation of an age-old C&W theme... the title is also very appropriately woven into the mix without sounding contrived in any way shape or form!

Your choice of real tracks is as snappy as your delivery... perfect match all around... and you did all the right things to make your drums pop! There is a wide variety of skill evident in every aspect of this song, and the end result is just a complete immersion in the inimitable floyd jane experience!

Floyd.. (I'm not kidding here.. dead serious...) if you ever decide to take your show on the road, I want first shot at being in the band. I'll play any instrument in the mix, work as roadie or do sound just to be part of your group. Stick it in the back of your mind for future reference. ;-)

Pat - HAHA! I so enjoy reading your reviews! I appreciate the join-the-band offer... Now and again, I think back to when I used to play in bars (as a solo or duo) and think "that might be fun" but the thought doesn't last long...considering all the work that would require. I do miss doing writers' nights - where you get to play original material and only need to be prepared to do 3 or 4 songs... haven't done that for a while either... it's just writing and recording these days. Like the Beatles! HA! Or Todd Rundgren! HA! And with this forum, my backup is spread across the world...we'll get you involved in the next one of those... "we are the world" - literally...

smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Heart Stops Here - 05/08/16 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Hello,
another great one from you.
High level production as usual

Sergio

Thanks, Sergio...

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Dang! In the proverbial perfect world we'd flash back a few
years and Brooks and Dunn would have this at the top of
the chart. Really. Well, the write is better than the stuff
they did...but you get the point smile

Some us dink around with multiple genres/sub-genere's and
on occasion get away with it. But you are able to excel in them
from jazz (In The City) to country rock and a heap more in
between.

The write perfectly fits the groove although it is more nuanced
and subtle than one would anticipate for a country rocker.
And, man, that fj signature production. It's loud but nothing
is squashed (my new technical term) and EVERYTHING has it's
little niche happily and politely residing with everything else in the mix.

Superb!

J&B

Dang! Where IS that proverbial perfect world??? smile

Always appreciate your kind reviews...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Heart Stops Here - 05/09/16 02:59 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Floyd

Another one of your impeccable deliveries. This is really good, I mean really good.

Sensational lyrics, fantastic feel throughout, great Country driving delivery.

You've excelled again.

Trevor

Thank you, Trevor. I appreciate that...
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Heart Stops Here - 05/09/16 08:42 PM
Great use of Brent's doublestops as a signature lick. Another fine write with stellar production chops on display. You just keep getting better.Tom
© PG Music Forums