PG Music Home
Posted By: Jeff S A Slow Walk - 06/09/16 01:13 PM
This is an all real tracks custom edit with harmonica and blues guitar playing off each other. I just keep getting amazed by how well the real track instruments can be edited to create unique pieces. I have been experimenting a lot and amazingly this one just fell together pretty quickly.

I would post the individual tracks I used but honestly after the edit process I lose track of the original tracks. Shame on me for not saving a base set of tracks to set aside but part of my process is to just generate and render the tracks to my DAW and edit on the fly. By the time I'm satisfied I usually have pulled from several real track styles to make one track.

Hope you enjoy the listen.

https://soundcloud.com/jsting1/a-slow-walk
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: A Slow Walk - 06/09/16 05:57 PM
Cool vibe you've got here!! The RTs held together very naturally. The only "funky" thing I heard was one chord change where the harmonica did something a little strange. Nice stuff! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Slow Walk - 06/10/16 09:07 AM
A nice piece, Jeff.

The opening guitar is a little "crowded" I thought (too busy) - then around :15 it "settled in" to a nice melodic playing...

I agree with Greg about the harmonica - there a few spots where it almost seems like it is in the wrong key - sort of "clashes" a bit with everything else...

All in all a good listen. And a good mix.

floyd
Posted By: Jeff S Re: A Slow Walk - 06/10/16 11:02 AM
Thanks for the honest critiques. I'm not a harmonica player so if he is blowing slightly out of key in some areas I generally couldn't tell. Given the track was a recorded performance of a real harmonica I had to deal with the way it's recorded. Maybe a few more generations might have yielded some better clips to edit from but again my inexperience with the instrument probably limits my ability to uncover the oddities.

As a guitar player it's a bit easier to edit the guitar pieces and have them sound cohesive. This was my first attempt editing blues oriented tracks and while I love to listen to some good blues music I don't play in that genre much. Mostly rock oriented in my guitar playing. Editing and playing this track has allowed me to step out of my box and expose myself to other genres I don't normally dabble in and it's been refreshing. That's something I wouldn't have done without BIAB. The really cool thing is there are so many different ways people can use the program and do. Cheers!
© PG Music Forums