PG Music Home
Posted By: Noel96 That's What I Believe - 09/24/16 04:13 PM
My good friend and sometimes co-writer, Brenda, and I put this song together a few years ago. It's always been a favourite. Recently I thought that it would be worthwhile to revitalise the song's arrangement and mix by using the Audiophile edition of BIAB/RB. The original song was created using the UltraPlusPak.

So, after a few musical and lyrical tweaks, a new vocal and with the added zing that comes from the Audiophile edition of the software, here is the latest version of....

Please feel free to comment on any aspect of the song.

Regards,
Noel

Instruments
518: Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
364: Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 065
368: Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 065
1514: Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 065 (Bluesy)
RealDrums: BrushesFolk16ths: a: Brushes b: Brushes Tap
MIDI Strings and Church Bell: Miroslav Philharmonik

Lyrics
Sometimes I walk alone
But it's not a lonely road
I share my path with all that's been
From snow to sea and sand
I'm walking through a wonderland
That's what I believe

Somewhere it's drizzling rain
Somewhere it's breaking day
Somewhere a wind is bending trees
This world's a miracle
Magnificent and wonderful
That's what I believe

And when the night is dark and I can see a million stars
I like to sit and watch and feel the peace and calm
Wherever I turn, when I look around
An ancient mystery shields and shelters me

In this whole universe
There's just a single Earth
And she is beautiful and free
A gift of godly grace
For Life to travel time and space
That's what I believe

[Instrumental]

And when the night is dark and I can see a million stars
An ancient mystery shields and shelters me

In this whole universe
There's just a single Earth
And she is beautiful and free
A gift of godly grace
For Life to travel time and space
That's what I believe

This world's a miracle
Magnificent and wonderful
That's what I believe

© 2012 Noel Adams & Brenda Smith. Words and music. All rights reserved.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: That's What I Believe - 09/24/16 08:14 PM
Noel,

A beautiful, quietly powerful song.
If it gets exposure in the right circles it`ll one day be performed by a major artist.
I really like the chorus melody, and also that bluesy guitar break.
Great work.

Robert
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 09/25/16 12:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Noel,

A beautiful, quietly powerful song.
If it gets exposure in the right circles it`ll one day be performed by a major artist.
I really like the chorus melody, and also that bluesy guitar break.
Great work.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thank you. Appreciate the visit and the comments. This song fell together relatively easily for Brenda and me. It was an enjoyable write.

In relation to the guitar solo, that was Brent Mason. His guitar work is always sensational and I find myself constantly filtering through his Realtracks and thinking about how I might use them.

Thanks again,
Noel
Posted By: animarorecords Re: That's What I Believe - 09/25/16 03:27 AM
Hello, Noel

Very beautiful song!
It reminds me of "Je t'appartiens" by Gilbert Becaud (English version is "Let It Be Me" by The Everly Brothers).
Declining bass line along the major scale and the progression to Sub-dominant on B part are so nice.
Moderate strings by Miroslav Philharmonik are also favorable.
I really enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: receder Re: That's What I Believe - 09/25/16 10:09 AM
Hi Noel,

This is probably my favourite of all your compositions (the ones that I have heard anyway).
Beautiful vocal, melody and clear open production.
Loved the cool mellow guitar solo and the strings at the end.

Top notch!

Rec
Posted By: colly Re: That's What I Believe - 09/25/16 10:41 AM
Beautiful song made me feel like I was on a journey when I was listning to the track.
Posted By: tommyad Re: That's What I Believe - 09/25/16 12:06 PM
Noel, This is magnificent. My new favorite of yours. The lyrics, melody, performance and production are all spectacular and spot on. The solo fits like a glove. Great acoustic guitar sound and your vocal is inspired and heartfelt. Really sensational. Bravo! Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: That's What I Believe - 09/25/16 06:40 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Noel, This is magnificent. My new favorite of yours. The lyrics, melody, performance and production are all spectacular and spot on. The solo fits like a glove. Great acoustic guitar sound and your vocal is inspired and heartfelt. Really sensational. Bravo! Tom

Noel,

I'll start by copying - and therefore reiterating - all that Tom said - because I thought all those same things.

This is my favorite write of yours of all that I've heard (with the exception of "What A Crazy Thing", of course smile )... Nice and tight.

The opening guitar/vocal is just right. The orchestral phrases after "stars" and "calm" are EXQUISITE!!!! The strings on "whole universe" are tasty...

The solo is sweet. Made me think of something that Glen Campbell would have added to one of his songs - does not get better than that in my book.

The strings that take it out are SO well done!

I'd say - One of your best writes. Your best vocal. Your BEST production!

A big standing O on this one, buddy...

floyd
Posted By: David Snyder Re: That's What I Believe - 09/25/16 06:51 PM
This is great! Sounds wonderful!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 09/25/16 08:16 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Noel

Very beautiful song!
It reminds me of "Je t'appartiens" by Gilbert Becaud (English version is "Let It Be Me" by The Everly Brothers).
Declining bass line along the major scale and the progression to Sub-dominant on B part are so nice.
Moderate strings by Miroslav Philharmonik are also favorable.
I really enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shigeki Adachi,

Thank you for having a listen.

"Let It Be Me" is one of my favourite songs of all time. It has been covered by a huge number of singers. I've always been a fan of a bass line that moves down scalewise (or even chromatically as in the adagio from Katchachrian's Sparticus (Youtube link - have a listen from 2:10 onwards.... such a powerful sound).

I appreciate your insightful comments.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 09/26/16 02:37 AM
Originally Posted By: receder
Hi Noel,

This is probably my favourite of all your compositions (the ones that I have heard anyway).
Beautiful vocal, melody and clear open production.
Loved the cool mellow guitar solo and the strings at the end.

Top notch!

Rec

Hi Rec,

Thanks for having a listen. I appreciate the comments.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: animarorecords Re: That's What I Believe - 09/26/16 03:26 AM
Hello, Noel

I've also always been a big fan of a bass line that moves down or up scalewise or chromatically.
Thank you very much for your introduction of the adagio from Katchachrian's Sparticus.
I have listened to the original version of Katchachrian's Sparticus for the first time.
I used to listen to the pop arranged version of this song. (Link as below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIsD94yVRF0

All the best,

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: rsdean Re: That's What I Believe - 09/26/16 07:16 AM
Noel,

This song was worth revisiting - it sounds great here. Love the instrument mix and your vocal really stands out - excellent!

Bob
Posted By: PeterF Re: That's What I Believe - 09/26/16 07:36 AM
Noel
A really lovely song and a great performance and I agree with everything Tom & Floyd said so eloquently.

Peter
Posted By: RnAM Re: That's What I Believe - 09/26/16 10:07 AM
Noel,

Beautiful song! Very romantic and peaceful.
The Miroslav Philharmonik works very nicely on the choruses.
CountryBrent Ev 065 surely was the right choice for the short solo.

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: That's What I Believe - 09/26/16 02:13 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Noel,

I'll start by copying - and therefore reiterating - all that Tom said - because I thought all those same things.

This is my favorite write of yours of all that I've heard (with the exception of "What A Crazy Thing", of course smile )... Nice and tight.

The opening guitar/vocal is just right. The orchestral phrases after "stars" and "calm" are EXQUISITE!!!! The strings on "whole universe" are tasty...

The solo is sweet. Made me think of something that Glen Campbell would have added to one of his songs - does not get better than that in my book.

floyd

I'll piggyback on two excellent reviews!! This is just great!! The thing that really moves me, in addition to what I've quoted, is the unabashed optimism in the song. It is really hard to write something optimistic which doesn't sound preachy or sappy. You threaded the needle with this one. Truly a gem!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: 44kfl Re: That's What I Believe - 09/26/16 06:24 PM
I think that you're a great craftsman. I think this is a beautiful lyric and melody. I feel like I learn a little something everytime
I listen to your songs. I wanna write something in this style today, right now! even tho I know that I don't have the time to. I feel inspired, like listening to McCartney when you hear "I Will" for the first time. If all this is too much praise, or over the top, I'm sorry, it's a pretty good song.

Kenny
Posted By: Steve Young Re: That's What I Believe - 09/26/16 09:24 PM
Noel, I remember hearing this one a few years ago when you first posted it. This sounds really nice. I like your writing on this one. The guitar solo really sounds great, too. Enjoyed this rework!

Steve
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: That's What I Believe - 09/27/16 02:21 AM
Noel,

It's pretty much all been said, but just let me add... I THOUGHT THIS WAS OUTSTANDING!!

All the instruments sound so clear and work so well together. Loved the guitar and the strings and your vocal and the mix... I loved everything! Just a GREAT write! I could see this being done in a broadway musical.

Great Job!! grin
Posted By: jannesan Re: That's What I Believe - 09/27/16 11:50 AM
Simple and beautiful, magnificent and wonderful smile Great singing and mixing, nice strings and solo. But most of all, I really like the lyrics, Earth is one of the most inspiring subjects to write a song about and you have really captured the "ancient mystery". I wish that Earth could be reflected in the title of the song somehow.

Janne
Posted By: Scott C Re: That's What I Believe - 09/27/16 12:32 PM
Beautiful lyric and vocal
Posted By: Will B - PG Music Re: That's What I Believe - 09/27/16 01:35 PM
Really incredible song, Noel. I love how you slowly add musical elements building up to the guitar solo, which as lots of people have said is excellent. I also adore the climactic string ending! Great job.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: That's What I Believe - 09/27/16 03:44 PM
"And when the night is dark and I can see a million stars
An ancient mystery shields and shelters me"

Breath taking lyrics!

We need to start commenting on your songs earlier rather than later. It seems that all of the accolades have been taken so quickly. Like floyd we much agree with everything Tom said...and with what floyd said in addition.

You have more positivity packed into one song than many could write in a life time. Although I often tend toward darker lyrics Janice personifies the positive approach toward all things in life and that is one reason of many that she so enjoys your compositions...as I do.

Neither Janice nor I are particularly good in parsing out productions for comment. We get lost in the totality of everything when it is this good. But we have to mention how well it is written, sung and arranged. The mix is lovely and very supportive of the lyric. As others have said the strings and electric guitar solo are standout.

Superb Noel!

J&B
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: That's What I Believe - 09/27/16 06:43 PM

Very beautiful song.
Everything sounds good.

Sergio
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 09/27/16 11:11 PM
Originally Posted By: colly
Beautiful song made me feel like I was on a journey when I was listning to the track.

Hi colly,

Thanks for dropping in and taking the time to have a listen. Appreciate it.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 09/27/16 11:16 PM

Hey Tom!

Thanks for all the positive feedback! I know that Brenda will appreciate reading it just as much as I do.

The solo guitar was created by cutting and pasting together a few different generations of Brent's Realtrack. It's amazing what can be done with technology now and the tools that PG Music have invented are incredible.

Thanks again for taking the time.
Noel
Posted By: SaxMarc Re: That's What I Believe - 09/28/16 12:26 AM
Noel,
Nice positive message, and I think the arrangement is really good. It sounds excellent!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 09/28/16 11:23 AM

Noel,

floyd

Hi floyd,

Thanks for all your thoughts. I really appreciate them a lot. It's good when a plan comes together!

Now that I think about it, though, I cannot discount that the four-leaf clover effect may have impacted on this success.

I'd better explain....

In Australia, we're just leaving Winter now and grass doesn't do much until Spring bounces in. Because of this, I haven't mown my lawn for quite a while. When I stepped out of my car a couple of weeks ago, just after I started working on this song, I looked down at my shoes (no idea why) and I was standing in an enthusiastically growing clover patch. When I looked a little closer, beside my heel was a four-leaf clover. I bent down and picked it for pressing. After picking it, I scanned the area and found another two four-leaf clovers. So, all up, in a matter of a couple of minutes, I was holding three four-leaf clovers in my hand.

So, at the end of the day, I guess that I'll never know whether or not I deserve all your kind words. Thank you, though!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 09/28/16 08:01 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
This is great! Sounds wonderful!

Thanks David.
Posted By: Skyline Re: That's What I Believe - 09/29/16 06:32 AM
A lovely song Noel, and a really beautiful arrangement, with a perfect strings part. A lovely listen.
Top notch work!

Cheers
John
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 09/29/16 03:59 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Noel

I've also always been a big fan of a bass line that moves down or up scalewise or chromatically.
Thank you very much for your introduction of the adagio from Katchachrian's Sparticus.
I have listened to the original version of Katchachrian's Sparticus for the first time.
I used to listen to the pop arranged version of this song. (Link as below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIsD94yVRF0

All the best,

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shigeki Adachi,

Thank you heaps for posting the above link. I have never heard this song before. It's beautifully done. The lyricist has used Katchachurian's melody extremely well. I have been a fan of Andy Williams for as long as I can remember. His voice was so incredibly smooth.

It's very easy to hear the descending chromatic bass line in this orchestration.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 09/29/16 04:11 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Noel,

This song was worth revisiting - it sounds great here. Love the instrument mix and your vocal really stands out - excellent!

Bob

Thanks for taking the time, Bob. I always appreciate your visit and comments.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 09/29/16 09:54 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Noel
A really lovely song and a great performance and I agree with everything Tom & Floyd said so eloquently.

Peter

Hey Peter,

Thank you for dropping by. I know that Brenda will appreciate reading your comments too.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: That's What I Believe - 09/30/16 02:00 AM
Noel, you've excelled once again.

The one thing that stood out was the fantastic way you created the build throughout the song.

Sensational lyrics, with perfect balance, all bundled and delivered with an amazing melody.

I really enjoyed this.

Trev
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 09/30/16 10:23 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Noel,

Beautiful song! Very romantic and peaceful.
The Miroslav Philharmonik works very nicely on the choruses.
CountryBrent Ev 065 surely was the right choice for the short solo.

Rob & Anne-Marie

Hi Rob and Anne-Marie,

It's good to see you, I appreciate the visit! I also appreciate the comments and I know that Brenda will too.

Miroslav is excellent. I bought it on special when they were having a sell-out sale before Miroslav 2 was released. It was definitely money well spent!

All the best and thanks again,
Noel
Posted By: dani48 Re: That's What I Believe - 09/30/16 02:59 PM
Hi, Noel !

What a beautiful tune
you´ve written again !
Made me wanting to join you
on the second voice !!!!!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 09/30/16 11:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Noel,

floyd

I'll piggyback on two excellent reviews!! This is just great!! The thing that really moves me, in addition to what I've quoted, is the unabashed optimism in the song. It is really hard to write something optimistic which doesn't sound preachy or sappy. You threaded the needle with this one. Truly a gem!! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg.

Always good to see you. Thanks for the feedback... very much appreciated! As I said in my response to floyd, I think that four-leaf clovers helped with this one!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 10/01/16 06:40 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
I think that you're a great craftsman. I think this is a beautiful lyric and melody. I feel like I learn a little something every time I listen to your songs. I wanna write something in this style today, right now! even tho I know that I don't have the time to. I feel inspired, like listening to McCartney when you hear "I Will" for the first time. If all this is too much praise, or over the top, I'm sorry, it's a pretty good song.

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

I don't know what to say. Thank you for all those kind words. They mean a lot and I really appreciate them. I know that Brenda will appreciate them too.

Thanks for dropping in,
Noel
Posted By: MarioD Re: That's What I Believe - 10/01/16 08:47 PM
Noel, I'm glad that this one didn't get past me as I am late to listen as usual.

I think that this is you at your best! I love your vocal, lyrics and backing tracks, especially the strings, and it was all mixed perfectly.

This is a keeper.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 10/02/16 04:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Noel, I remember hearing this one a few years ago when you first posted it. This sounds really nice. I like your writing on this one. The guitar solo really sounds great, too. Enjoyed this rework!

Steve

Thanks for having a listen, Steve. Appreciate it.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 10/03/16 06:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Achordocaster
Noel,

It's pretty much all been said, but just let me add... I THOUGHT THIS WAS OUTSTANDING!!

All the instruments sound so clear and work so well together. Loved the guitar and the strings and your vocal and the mix... I loved everything! Just a GREAT write! I could see this being done in a broadway musical.

Great Job!! grin

Hi Greg,

Appreciate your passing through the thread. Thanks for taking time to have a listen and to comment. You made my day!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: gibson Re: That's What I Believe - 10/03/16 09:24 AM
Noel,
I thought I had commented on this masterpiece, blush
All has already been said about the song, beautiful.

I read in another post how you adjusted the vocal track using volume nodes, flipping heck how long does that take you if the example you used is done on the whole vocal track? It is well worth it tho' because the vocal track is perfect.
I do the same but to a considerably lesser extent so will have a go Noel-style on my next song.

Well done again!!

Alyn
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: That's What I Believe - 10/03/16 12:42 PM
I'm going to have to agree with all the praise that's been posted for this song - thank you for sharing it with us!

This is our "Hot Forum Topic" for today smile

~Callie
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 10/03/16 04:10 PM
Callie,

Thank you for the great start that you've given my Tuesday!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 10/03/16 04:15 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Simple and beautiful, magnificent and wonderful smile Great singing and mixing, nice strings and solo. But most of all, I really like the lyrics, Earth is one of the most inspiring subjects to write a song about and you have really captured the "ancient mystery". I wish that Earth could be reflected in the title of the song somehow.

Janne

Hi Janne,

Thank you. I totally agree with you about Earth. One doesn't have to look too far to be inspired. It's a pretty incredible planet when looked at in photos from NASA. Brenda and I actually did try to include "Earth" in the title, but we couldn't come up with a suitable hook. Maybe next time!

Thanks again.

All the best,
Noel

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Beautiful lyric and vocal

Thanks Scott. Appreciate your having a chance to have a listen.

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 10/04/16 08:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Will B - PG Music
Really incredible song, Noel. I love how you slowly add musical elements building up to the guitar solo, which as lots of people have said is excellent. I also adore the climactic string ending! Great job.

Will,

Thanks for jumping in, listening and commenting. Much appreciated.

You know, none of what I do would be possible without the amazing team at PG Music. Every time I use BIAB, I marvel at how it makes making good music so easy! And then there's PG Music staff.... I haven't met any company anywhere that better looks after its customers (seriously)!

Thanks again,
Noel
Posted By: Will B - PG Music Re: That's What I Believe - 10/04/16 12:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Originally Posted By: Will B - PG Music

Will,

Thanks for jumping in, listening and commenting. Much appreciated.

You know, none of what I do would be possible without the amazing team at PG Music. Every time I use BIAB, I marvel at how it makes making good music so easy! And then there's PG Music staff.... I haven't met any company anywhere that better looks after its customers (seriously)!

Thanks again,
Noel

My pleasure, Noel! That makes us so happy to hear how much you love the program smile smile You're too kind!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 10/05/16 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"And when the night is dark and I can see a million stars
An ancient mystery shields and shelters me"

Breath taking lyrics!

We need to start commenting on your songs earlier rather than later. It seems that all of the accolades have been taken so quickly. Like floyd we much agree with everything Tom said...and with what floyd said in addition.

You have more positivity packed into one song than many could write in a life time. Although I often tend toward darker lyrics Janice personifies the positive approach toward all things in life and that is one reason of many that she so enjoys your compositions...as I do.

Neither Janice nor I are particularly good in parsing out productions for comment. We get lost in the totality of everything when it is this good. But we have to mention how well it is written, sung and arranged. The mix is lovely and very supportive of the lyric. As others have said the strings and electric guitar solo are standout.

Superb Noel!

J&B

Hi Janice and Bud,

Good to see/read you. Thanks for dropping in and giving the song a listen. I appreciate the comments and I know that Brenda will be equally appreciative when she reads them. I always like reading your insights on the posts in the forum.

At the end of this song's journey of creation, it seemed to mostly take care of itself. The part we struggled most with was the bridge. To read your comment about this section, brought a smile to my face. Thanks for that!

All the best to you both,
Noel

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Very beautiful song.
Everything sounds good.

Sergio

Hey Sergio,

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 10/05/16 02:56 PM
Originally Posted By: SaxMarc
Noel,
Nice positive message, and I think the arrangement is really good. It sounds excellent!

Thanks Marc! I appreciate the feedback.

Regards,
Noel

Originally Posted By: Skyline
A lovely song Noel, and a really beautiful arrangement, with a perfect strings part. A lovely listen.
Top notch work!

Cheers
John

John,

When I listen to your work, I always come away thinking about how much I still need to learn in relation to arranging. It is for this reason that I really appreciate your comments. Thank you.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Sundance Re: That's What I Believe - 10/05/16 10:40 PM
The song is gorgeous Noel! All the tweaks that you've done plus the audiophile tracks arrangement on this sound awesome - WOW!
Listening on headphones the definition and nuances of the instruments arrangement in the mix is amazingly beautiful.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 10/06/16 07:12 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Noel, you've excelled once again.

The one thing that stood out was the fantastic way you created the build throughout the song.

Sensational lyrics, with perfect balance, all bundled and delivered with an amazing melody.

I really enjoyed this.

Trev

Hi Trev,

Thanks for having a listen. I think luck was on my side when I arranged this. As I said to floyd, I found three four-leaf clovers pretty soon after I started putting this together. As the Irish will tell you, one should never underestimate four-leaf-clover power! It works in mysterious ways.

Appreciate the comments. It's always good to know that I'm heading in the right direction.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Matcham Re: That's What I Believe - 10/06/16 08:09 AM
Very nicely realised, Noel. Luscious arrangement with everything in its place and a nice build. Loved it!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 10/09/16 04:50 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Noel !

What a beautiful tune
you´ve written again !
Made me wanting to join you
on the second voice !!!!!

Cheers
Dani

Hi Dani,

Thank you! You know, you're ALWAYS welcome to join in and sing second voice! Thank you for having a listen.

All the best to you from the southern hemisphere!
Noel

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Noel, I'm glad that this one didn't get past me as I am late to listen as usual.

I think that this is you at your best! I love your vocal, lyrics and backing tracks, especially the strings, and it was all mixed perfectly.

This is a keeper.

Thanks, Mario. I appreciate your thumbs up. Sometimes, not too often, the stars align when putting a song together. Maybe that's what happened here!

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 10/09/16 05:14 AM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Noel,
I thought I had commented on this masterpiece, blush
All has already been said about the song, beautiful.

I read in another post how you adjusted the vocal track using volume nodes, flipping heck how long does that take you if the example you used is done on the whole vocal track? It is well worth it tho' because the vocal track is perfect.
I do the same but to a considerably lesser extent so will have a go Noel-style on my next song.

Well done again!!

Alyn

Hey Alyn,

It's great to see you.

Ahh... you read that post...

I'm really slow when I mix a song. It usually takes between 1 and 2 weeks. Most of that time is spent tweaking my vocals. I see myself as being on the minus side of average when it comes to singing and so I do a few things to try and rectify that. In order of processing, the below list outlines what I do.

1. record multiple takes back to back by using looped recording in Reaper (usually eight takes)
  2. assemble a comp'd vocal track by selecting the best phrases and parts of phrases from those takes
  3. using Reaper's plugin 'ReaTune', I manually adjust any note that's noticeably out of tune
  4. use a suitable preset in iZotope's Nectar to add any or all of the following: eq, compression, reverb, delay, de-ess, saturation (what I use is determined by the flavour of the song's backing and I manually tweak this preset as needed)
  5. in Reaper, I slice the vocal track into short phrases and, using 'take volume' envelopes, I adjust the volume of syllables so that they align with spoken syllable strength wherever required
  6. once I get the comp'd vocal to sound as good as possible, I then use a volume envelope on the whole vocal track to adjust the volume of sections so that they balance against the mix

Because my ears tire after about the first 30 minutes of mixing, even though I might spend two hours on the track, I always come back to the track the following day and fine tune what I did the previous day.

Thank you for taking the time to listen. I really appreciate your comments.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 10/09/16 04:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
The song is gorgeous Noel! All the tweaks that you've done plus the audiophile tracks arrangement on this sound awesome - WOW!
Listening on headphones the definition and nuances of the instruments arrangement in the mix is amazingly beautiful.

Hi Josie,

I really appreciate your visit and your comments. Thank you! You made my day smile

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: That's What I Believe - 10/10/16 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Matcham
Very nicely realised, Noel. Luscious arrangement with everything in its place and a nice build. Loved it!

Thanks Matcham. Appreciate it.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Buford Re: That's What I Believe - 12/04/16 03:12 AM
Noel...this is seriously great. I love your voice and your delivery. To me this song sounds like it could be from a movie soundtrack. I saw your comment about using Brent Mason for the break, did you play on this also?

This is one of those songs that stays in your head after you hear it. I'm extremely impressed. Excellent job.

Bob Buford cool
© PG Music Forums