PG Music Home
Posted By: Tobias I Am Yours - 11/20/16 03:40 AM
https://soundcloud.com/tobias-374943716/i-am-yours-am

Written by Bart Montes. This is my first song using BIAB, RB and Reaper. And, my first time using soundcloud. The vocal is only a quick example of my arrangement, (which is quite different than the artists original version), for the actual intended vocalist, who I haven't met yet. If he or she decides to sing it a lot different than my example then I might re-arrange and record the entire song. Once I get a good vocal track I will probably redo most of the instruments anyhow. We intend to get at least 4 songs arranged like this, then get some of our best vocalist friends together to record keeper vocals.
Here's the song in raw form,... how I first received it.
https://soundcloud.com/tobias-374943716/i-am-yours-sample-song
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: I Am Yours - 11/20/16 03:49 AM
Tobias

I really was warmed by the sparseness of the backing, this really fitted perfectly with the song style.

The lyrics are well thought out, and the vocal delivery is extremely good.

The guitar break filled in perfectly. The choice of a discordant nature gave great interest.

A very impressive song from all angles.
Posted By: Tobias Re: I Am Yours - 11/21/16 01:22 AM
Thanks Video Track. I used this song to learn a lot about Reaper DAW which I just got. My next few songs should have improved work flow and come out better now that I've got a little experience with the new DAW.
BTW, If you'd like to see what I started with there is also a raw song sample of this one posted on my soundcloud. It's the way I get the songs from the song writer with just him strumming and singing.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: I Am Yours - 11/21/16 04:52 AM
Tobias,

This is put together very thoughtfully and really well. You've done a great job. I enjoyed the journey.

I'm a Reaper user too. It's such a great program!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: receder Re: I Am Yours - 11/21/16 08:06 AM
Tobias,

I enjoyed this a lot and agree with the other comments.
Interesting to compare it with the version that you received (you have improved it immeasurably).
If I did a vocal like yours it would be a keeper, lol! Still I will be keen to hear the final version with the intended vocalist.

Well done,
Jez
P.S. I was a Reaper user before I got a good upgrade offer on Sonar and I still think that Reaper was the best value and most stable DAW I have ever used. It's a professional program for the price of an entry level one.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Am Yours - 11/21/16 11:45 AM
Tobias,

A good listen. Nice arrangement - very supportive of the vocal. Well done.

floyd
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: I Am Yours - 11/21/16 08:51 PM
Tobias, very good job!! It's from the heart and sounds great! That's a combination that can't be beat. Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Scott C Re: I Am Yours - 11/21/16 10:26 PM
Very inspirational song. Well done
Posted By: Robertkc Re: I Am Yours - 11/22/16 03:59 PM
Tobias,

A very nice simple arrangement of a song which matches the sincerity of the lyrics with a good melody - I especially enjoyed the chorus.
Your " test" vocal sounds fine.

Robert
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I Am Yours - 11/22/16 05:53 PM
This is really good!! The other one was good, but this is better. The melody works great. Vocal is fantastic-I hear a Justin Heyward vibe. The solo is sweet. I think the strummed guitar could be a bit lower and maybe a bit more of a pad sound. Excellent job on this one! Take care. Greg
Posted By: mglinert Re: I Am Yours - 11/22/16 06:33 PM
Put me in the "your-guide-vocals-are-what-I-aspire-to-in-my-final-mix-vocals" camp.
Appreciate the sincerity and strength of feeling in this track.
That and the strong melody and spot-on mix.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am Yours - 11/22/16 08:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Tobias, very good job!! It's from the heart and sounds great! That's a combination that can't be beat. Thanks, Torrey

Indeed.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Buford Re: I Am Yours - 11/22/16 08:36 PM
Great vibe. Strong arrangement. Particularly like that guitar. Awesome tone and performance.

Bob cool
Posted By: Tobias Re: I Am Yours - 11/23/16 03:47 AM
Okay I read the rules for this part of the forum. Here's what this song is made of.
****** Song Summary *************
Title: I Am Yours-A#m
Song is saved with bar changes for Tempo , Time signature,RealDrums Changes,
Style is M_BELIEV.STY (Pop Believe Band w/ Synth)
Did not use Synth RealTrack or Held Clean Electric RealTrack.

RealTracks in style: 1536:Bass, Electric, PopBelieve Ev16 065
PlugIns: TRacks Classic Compressor and Amplitube 4 Solid State Bass Amp.
Very few edits to the bass track. I think I removed 6 - 8 notes I didn't like from the entire bass track.

RealTracks in style: 1537:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBelieveArp Ev16 065
Real Track was not used in actual mix. My gritty arpeggio guitar was inspired by some parts in the above real track.
Vantage Les Paul (1984 Japanese Replica w/ Dimarzio Hum Buckers Coil Tapped in middle position. Through a Boss CS-2 compressor set rather light. Into a Fender Super Champ XD clean channel with treble all the way down. Mic'd with AKG D880 on grill in center.
PlugIns: RubyTube (at max), TRacks Classic Compressor, Voxengo Stereo Touch.
I quick faded in the beginning note of almost every chord/arpeggio to remove some of the CS-2s notorious pick twack sound.

RealDrums in Song: PraiseWorshipSlow16ths^1-a:H24, b:SRC
PlugIns: TRacks Classic Compressor, ReaEQ, Sonitus Reverb.
I cut out a whole bunch of drum notes to thin it out a little. Probably would choose a different RealDrums or midi drums for this song.

Strings started out as 2 midi tracks from –MICHEL1.STY. Slow Pop Orchestra.
I did a lot of midi editing in Reaper which made it very easy and accurate.
PlugIns; On main string track; Cakewalk SI-Strings default preset, Voxengo Stereo Touch.
On second string track; Cakewalk SI-Strings default preset, JS:Delay w/tempo Ping Pong.
Guitar Solo: Schecter PT Special Proto Type, never went into production. Hand made at the Schecter factory in California. I think it was Torrence at the time. Has hand made hum buckers called MonsterTone by Schecter.
Recorded off the Super Champ XD Voice Channel with moderate drive.
PlugIns: JS:Delay w/Tempo Length.
Solo is doubled via copy track. Panned hard left and right. Delays are faint and tempo sinc’d opposite each other for a ping-pong spread.

Vocal is a Behringer B2 Pro under heavy quilts hung from curtain rods bolted down to the top of a tall shelf. I did 4 takes straight through the whole song with the song looped. No breaks. Then I comped together the best sections. The vocal is botched in my opinion. Flutters, diction, pitch and timing issues. It is intended to be a temporary example for the actual singer. Something to practice with. But, if he/she wants to express it completely different that’s okay with me.
PlugIns: Melda Products; MAutoPitch, MEqualizer, MCompressor, Voxengo Tube Amp, Voxengo Tempo Delay.

Acoustic Guitar; Takamine P3DC into a Zoom GFX-1 with EQ and 4x12 Cabinet emulator. No amp emulator. Just the cabinet.
This track is double via copy track. Both tracks are panned right. 1st track 20% right so it’s kind of near the middle. 2nd track is 90% right to create some space.

Master Channel PlugIns; Voxengo Span, Voxengo Old Skool Reverb, Voxengo Marvel GEQ, JS Soft Clipper/Limiter.

Recording, Editing, Mixing done in Reaper. My first project in Reaper. Big step up from Power Tracks 10 and RealBand 2016 and Audacity.

Reaper ran stable the whole time. No latency, no crashing, no stubborn refusal to find, use or process any plug ins at all. I spent a lot of time watching Reaper Tutorials.
Special Thanks to Kenny Gioia.
© PG Music Forums