PG Music Home
Posted By: RichRayer Sweet As Sugar - 12/11/16 08:34 PM
This is a piece I worked up this weekend. I worked up a chord progression and worked up a melody that would fit the Crooner backup RealTracks that I used. This is the result with me recording the lead Clarinet part.

https://soundcloud.com/richrayer/sweet-as-sugar
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Sweet As Sugar - 12/13/16 02:55 PM
Nice! Janice and I have listened to Goodman and Shaw some over the years...and Janice played Clarinet in high school so this was a pleasant surprise.

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!"

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: receder Re: Sweet As Sugar - 12/13/16 03:51 PM
Hi Rich,

You certainly achieved the sound of a big swing band! Your clarinet also blends in very nicely.
Would be interested to know which RTs you used.

Good job,
Jez
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Sweet As Sugar - 12/13/16 06:25 PM
Sweet as sugar!! Very nice listen. Fun song and nice playin'!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Sweet As Sugar - 12/13/16 06:46 PM
Thank you J&B, Greg, and Jez. Your comments are appreciated. I really had fun playing the clarinet part along with the RealTracks. I felt I was back in a Big Band once again.

The RealTracks used in this piece are:

_CROONR1.STY Crooner Big Band w/ 9-Part Horns

Drums: Jazz Brushes
2126: Bass Acoustic
~938: Guitar Acoustic
2593: Horn Section
1321: Medley (Trumpet, Trombone, Guitar, and Sax) as my soloists

I should have put these in my first post so you would know what I put together.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Sweet As Sugar - 12/13/16 08:02 PM
Hi RichRayer, excellent work on this! Very upbeat style, and its got that swing! - Great job! smile
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Sweet As Sugar - 12/14/16 10:28 AM
Thank you Joe. It was really easy to get into the swing considering the RealTracks back up I had.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Sweet As Sugar - 12/14/16 10:52 AM
You really showed off the BIAB horns in this, Rich. And your clarinet fits in perfectly. A good listen. - fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: Sweet As Sugar - 12/14/16 05:14 PM
Very cool Rich. I started learning music at 10 years old then combined that with Flute then the Beatles aired on Ed Sullivan and much to my mothers disappointment clarinet and flute were out guitar was in. Then Ian Anderson showed up with Jethro Tull and the flute was back in. Wished I had kept up with the clarinet is such cool instrument
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: Sweet As Sugar - 12/14/16 06:23 PM
What a great song! Your clarinet playing works perfectly with the crooner style smile

This is today's Hot Forum Topic!
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Sweet As Sugar - 12/15/16 10:31 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
You really showed off the BIAB horns in this, Rich. And your clarinet fits in perfectly. A good listen. - fj

Thank you for listening and commenting. I am glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Sweet As Sugar - 12/15/16 10:36 AM
Thank you Scott.
Yeah, making decisions about music and training at an early age is very difficult. If we only knew then what we have learned by now. That would have made a difference (or not). I kept up my life long learning on the reeds and have tried to master the clarinet, sax and flute. I have enjoyed making music for a whole career and teaching music as well.

I am glad you enjoyed the music.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Sweet As Sugar - 12/15/16 10:37 AM
Thank you so much, Callie. I am glad you enjoyed the piece and made this a hot topic. smile
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Sweet As Sugar - 12/15/16 11:29 AM
Wow, this sounds so good, love the horns and your clarinet. Great job on this.
Enjoyed.

Kenny
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Sweet As Sugar - 12/17/16 04:09 PM
Thanks Kenny for giving this a listen and taking a moment to make a comment. I appreciate that! smile
© PG Music Forums