PG Music Home
Posted By: Matcham 90 By Noon - 12/20/16 03:21 AM
Hi, here's a new song in the 'newgrass' style that I've become accustomed to. In this case it's a collaboration through Taxi. Peter Rahill forwarded the lyrics and asked me to make music with them. It's my first collaboration of this nature and I understand now why so many of you BBoxers are doing it. It's fun! And nice to have a sounding board. It's a song about mistaken identity.

90 By Noon

Style is _BLUGRSF.STY
RealTracks in style: ~427:Bass, Acoustic, Bluegrass Ev 130
RealTracks in style: ~426:Banjo, Bluegrass Ev 130 (Rhythm)
RealTracks in style: ~431:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Bluegrass Ev 130
RealTracks in style: ~428:Fiddle, Rhythm Bluegrass Ev 130
RealTracks in song: ~433:Banjo, Bluegrass Ev 130 (Soloist)
RealTracks in song: ~432:Mandolin, Rhythm Bluegrass Ev 130
RealDrums: RealDrums in Song: Country2Beat16^1-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare

Logic Pro for the mix.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: 90 By Noon - 12/20/16 08:45 AM
Excellent write, arrangement and production. Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: 90 By Noon - 12/20/16 06:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Excellent write, arrangement and production. Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie

Well done!! It all works for me. Fun lyrics, and a very natural delivery. The jammin' banjo is great! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: 90 By Noon - 12/20/16 07:37 PM
You are right about collabs being a great sounding board -- particularly when complete honesty rules smile

We like this. I've never played bluegrass with drums or even mixed a bluegrass song with drums - you do a good job with it by keeping them "there" yet not dominating the rhythm. The mix sounds "in the pocket" and presents a nice soundstage on the monitors. The vocals sits right where, at least in our opinion grin , they ought to be.

Nice collab!! Keep 'em coming.

J&B

BTW, I've had the opportunity to listen to your banjo player up close. He's one of the best!

Posted By: Matcham Re: 90 By Noon - 12/21/16 02:54 AM
J&B, ha! Yes I only use the best for my banjo pickers. I took a leaf from your book and comped the solos here - you're right it's the way to go.

Knowing you're authentic bluegrass I was wondering what you might make of the drums. I wanted to 'punk up' the sound.
Posted By: Marty Sorensen Re: 90 By Noon - 12/21/16 03:52 AM
I enjoyed this very muvh, variations, clever song.
Posted By: tommyad Re: 90 By Noon - 12/21/16 10:09 AM
Good job not letting the drums get in the way. They work. Good stops near the end. Well sung and a good mix. Fun song and I enjoyed it. Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: 90 By Noon - 12/21/16 12:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Matcham
J&B, ha! Yes I only use the best for my banjo pickers. I took a leaf from your book and comped the solos here - you're right it's the way to go.

Knowing you're authentic bluegrass I was wondering what you might make of the drums. I wanted to 'punk up' the sound.

If on the 2 and 4 the band has a strong mandolin chop and a banjo player who can do muted "clucks" when the mandolin is soloing then drums don't IMO bring much to the group since the snare will lay on top of the mandolin and banjo rhythm. But there is no banjo rhythm of that style - they are all 16th based. Flatt & Scruggs who rarely used a mandolin substituted an extra rhythm guitar player who played a strong sock rhythm. Notable BG bands experimented with drums/percussion off and on through the years. I think the most successful is the current line up of The Steep Canyon Rangers. They use a canjon most of the time and the player fills in here and there and never steps on the traditional rhythm. Janice has played one on a couple of our projects. I think more bluegrass bands will find them useful. Pardon the ramble!

Bud
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 90 By Noon - 12/21/16 12:42 PM
Matcham,

Hard not to tap your foot along with that!

Fun song. Well done. Your vocal on this is a highlight...

fj
Posted By: 44kfl Re: 90 By Noon - 12/21/16 01:24 PM
Enjoyed! man, this moves along, great fun song. A foot stomper!

Kenny
Posted By: Matcham Re: 90 By Noon - 12/21/16 05:59 PM
Thank you one and all for your kind comments. How rare is it to find a forum where respect is the norm?

J&B thanks again for your insights into the bluegrass genre. It's interesting you mention the cajon because my own BIAB 'playing' has revealed some success with it. Indeed the celtic reel and bluegrass styles generally play well together.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: 90 By Noon - 12/21/16 07:13 PM
Matcham,

Great fun! Very well sung and produced (love the ending laugh!).
Would be nice to see the lyrics as they come fast - sounds as if you met a kindred spirit there as the feel of the song & humour are very much in line with your other work.

Robert
Posted By: receder Re: 90 By Noon - 12/21/16 08:17 PM
Matcham,

You and Peter did a great job on this. It's a foot tapper alright!
You also got the perfect combination of RTs and a great mix.

Happy Christmas!
Jez
Posted By: RnAM Re: 90 By Noon - 12/21/16 11:52 PM
hello guys,

Really nice and folky, well done!

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: Al-David Re: 90 By Noon - 12/22/16 01:51 AM
Hi Matcham,

We've never been big fans of traditional bluegrass but really like "newgrass" and this sells us even more on it. We like Alison Kraus and the now defunct Nickel Creek. And we've become fans of your music.

Nice clean recording with superb production of a well-composed tune. Thanks for a great listen!

Note: We've been members here for almost 2 years but have spent most of this year in hiatus mostly due to health issues. It's nice to "meet" you!

Merry Christmas and a prosperous 2017.

Alan & Di
Posted By: animarorecords Re: 90 By Noon - 12/22/16 04:00 AM
Hello, Matcham

Very fun song!
Pleasant bluegrass.
I do not often hear bluegrass usually, but this song made me happy.
As floyd said, your vocal on this is a highlight...
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Merry Christmas to you from Japan.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Matcham Re: 90 By Noon - 12/22/16 06:50 AM
Thanks again everyone for your kind words. It's always great to hear from you BIAB gurus and I marvel at the time you make you listen to others and comment. I wish I could listen to everything posted here. Is it me or are there more and more tracks appearing all the time?

Al and David nice to meet you too. I'm glad you are able to make a comeback.
Posted By: receder Re: 90 By Noon - 12/22/16 08:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Matcham
Is it me or are there more and more tracks appearing all the time?

Hey Matcham, I was thinking exactly the same thing! Word about BIAB must be spreading so there are more and more people using it and posting tracks. The quality is also getting better all the time. I am also struggling to listen to everything and comment so apologies in advance to any song I missed.

Cheers
Jez
© PG Music Forums