PG Music Home
Posted By: cooltouch Mended Dreams - 12/21/16 01:22 PM
This is pretty much a straight up "easy listening" tune. I make no apologies. cool

I wrote it using BiaB for the entire rhythm track. I added strings and the main instruments, which are flute and vibes. I used my Fender Stratocaster running through my Roland GR-33 Guitar Synthesizer, slaved to my DAW, for much of the flute part. Some was scored out, but much of it I played, including the solo.

Final production and mixdown was done using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, the precursor to Sonar.

https://soundcloud.com/michaelmcbroom/mendeddreams
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Mended Dreams - 12/21/16 04:02 PM
No reason to apologize for this!! Easy listening is enjoyable. Cool what you can do with guitar synth! I think Joni Mitchell did some stuff with that piece of gear. Nice stuff! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Mended Dreams - 12/21/16 07:43 PM
Really enjoyed it Micheal, excellent musicianship is on display here. Great use of the GR33! I have a Roland guitar synth also and you inspired me to try to use it more in my musical compositions. Great smooth jazz feel in places. Thanks Torrey.
Posted By: receder Re: Mended Dreams - 12/21/16 08:10 PM
Michael,

Great composition and playing. You made excellent use of your Strat and GR33. It sounds like it tracks really well. Like Torrey you have inspired me to dust off my GR55.

Cheers
Jez
Posted By: cooltouch Re: Mended Dreams - 12/21/16 11:57 PM
Great! I'm glad I could give you guys a nudge. The GR-33 is such a great compositional tool. When using it in MIDI mode, I can import exactly what I play into my DAW and then score it out. Then I can correct any mistakes I might have made, or add to the scored out stuff quite easily. Plus, the GR-33 does have really nice sounding voices.

Jez, my GR-33 tracks really well. Just the tiniest of delays -- guessing 10ms or less. I can adapt to it very quickly. I find that, for best results, I do have to play a bit more cleanly, which I see as a blessing. It makes for better technique.

Posted By: Al-David Re: Mended Dreams - 12/22/16 01:36 AM
Hi Michael,

Welovedit! Kins of a "spacey, semi-ambient" easy listening ... a style we enjoy. That was relaxing and a real pleasure to listen to. Very nice playing and composing.

Merry Christmas,

Alan & Di
Posted By: Marty Sorensen Re: Mended Dreams - 12/22/16 01:38 AM
The flute sounded great.
© PG Music Forums