PG Music Home
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/23/17 11:56 AM
Wednesday Tune

Playing around last Wednesday and imported the song "Help Wanted" by a group called Southern Pacific from the ACW to get the chord progression and tempo map. After opening and starting the process of auditioning Real Styles over the audio and chord progression, I had not found a suitable style after a few auditions but had noticed that some individual instruments sounded very suitable over the chord progression. So, I began to export tracks from different styles as 'Performance Tracks'.

This evolved into a new song rather than a cover. I chose a rather ambient style, imported the various performance tracks I'd saved from other styles over the Help Wanted chord progression and this is the result.

This process developed without thought of creating an original song so I did not make any effort to list the styles or which style a performance track was taken from. I auditioned quite a few and chose performance tracks from a few - I can't reconstruct the choices.

But, it is all BIAB tracks, a mixture of several styles and performance tracks over a chord progression from a commercial release.

I see this as a good display of how versatile BIAB can be.

Hope you enjoy. Comments welcome.

Charlie
Posted By: rsdean Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/23/17 12:39 PM
Charlie,

This has a very cool sound. The choice of instruments is really outstanding - everything flows so well.

Excellent job!

Bob
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/23/17 01:40 PM
This is very nice, love the guitars! great style choices, good progression

Kenny
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/23/17 07:46 PM
Excellent way to get the creative juices flowing, Charlie.

An enjoyable listen. Nicely mixed. The acoustics are nicely crisp and the bass has really nice definition.

fj
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/23/17 08:00 PM
Great sounds here Charlie!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/23/17 09:23 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Charlie,

This has a very cool sound. The choice of instruments is really outstanding - everything flows so well.

Excellent job!

Bob

Thanks Bob. Glad you enjoyed it.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
This is very nice, love the guitars! great style choices, good progression

Kenny

Thanks. I agree about the progression. It is what really started the whole project.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Excellent way to get the creative juices flowing, Charlie.

An enjoyable listen. Nicely mixed. The acoustics are nicely crisp and the bass has really nice definition.

fj

I appreciate you stopping by Floyd. It's a shame I didn't think ahead and keep track of the styles. Playing over the same chord progression, the different styles sounded quite different but there were some styles that even though the style itself sounded very different, a particular instrument would play in such a manner I felt it would work well outside of its original style. Those were the tracks I saved as performance tracks. It turned into a fun project.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Great sounds here Charlie!

Inspired to post by your very own rendition of Angel at the Door.

Thanks for listening and taking time to post.

Charlie
Posted By: Scott C Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/23/17 10:50 PM
This is a very cool song. The acoustic is doing some very cool stuff and love to hear the way the electric guitar dances around the acoustic. Very well done...
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/23/17 11:54 PM
Charlie,

I really enjoyed this-especially the base acoustic guitar track.
Its all so seamless and a terrific demonstration of BiaB.

Robert
Posted By: PeterF Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/24/17 06:07 AM
Charlie

As others have noted the acoustic guitar sounds really nice, and it could be a James Taylor instrumental.
Very pretty and well done.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/24/17 09:10 AM
Sounds good to me, nice arrangement bringing the various instruments in, and nice production!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/24/17 09:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
This is a very cool song. The acoustic is doing some very cool stuff and love to hear the way the electric guitar dances around the acoustic. Very well done...

Thanks Scott. The two guitars created a nice melody.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Charlie,

I really enjoyed this-especially the base acoustic guitar track.
Its all so seamless and a terrific demonstration of BiaB.

Robert

Yes sir. I think BIAB is the real star in this one for sure. Glad you enjoyed your listen.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Charlie

As others have noted the acoustic guitar sounds really nice, and it could be a James Taylor instrumental.
Very pretty and well done.

Peter

Thanks for your kind comments Peter.

Charlie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/24/17 09:46 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Sounds good to me, nice arrangement bringing the various instruments in, and nice production!

Thanks Dave. I appreciate your nice comments.

Charlie
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/24/17 10:58 AM
Hi Charlie,

I like it. Right now, I'm sitting here, sipping some red wine (it's 1:00 am), closing my eyes and just listening. I love the feel. It's friendly and relaxing. There's a sense that 'everything is right with world' that seems to float along with the melody and backing.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Will B - PG Music Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/24/17 02:48 PM
Really nice job, Charlie. Extremely cohesive sounding -- you're absolutely right, this is a perfect example of how versatile BIAB is! (/not biased...) I absolutely love the first guitar solo, really beautiful tone.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/25/17 09:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Charlie,

I like it. Right now, I'm sitting here, sipping some red wine (it's 1:00 am), closing my eyes and just listening. I love the feel. It's friendly and relaxing. There's a sense that 'everything is right with world' that seems to float along with the melody and backing.

All the best,
Noel

At about the same time you are having wine, I'm on my first cup of coffee of the day. Either way, we both extol the phrase that music and drink go together... anywhere in the world. Glad you enjoyed your isten.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: Will B - PG Music
Really nice job, Charlie. Extremely cohesive sounding -- you're absolutely right, this is a perfect example of how versatile BIAB is! (/not biased...) I absolutely love the first guitar solo, really beautiful tone.

Thanks Will. Many would be amazed at how much BIAB this production is and how little it's me.... BIAB and it's staff rock. Thanks for taking time to listen and comment.

Charlie
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/26/17 07:48 AM
Hello, Charlie

Very nice feeling and very well played!
Your play reminds me of Pat Metheny a little bit.
I like Fusion sound very much.
This tune has a lot of fusion feelings.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/26/17 10:00 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Charlie

Very nice feeling and very well played!
Your play reminds me of Pat Metheny a little bit.
I like Fusion sound very much.
This tune has a lot of fusion feelings.

Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks. I highlighted your remark about the fusion sound because this song is truly a fusion of several very diverse BIAB styles in which specific instruments taken from individual styles played in such a manner to work with other styles instruments and and combined, presented us this result. BIAB is a remarkable and versatile product.

I'm glad you enjoyed your listen.

Charlie
Posted By: Angelo Franco Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/26/17 10:19 AM

Excellent job Charlie !
Great atmosphere !

Angelo
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/26/17 10:26 AM
Nice work on that Charlie. I love the laid back feel to it. Good stuff.

Southern Pacific was one of those bands that had a string of hits and then disappeared. They we quite good. Composed of members of the Doobie Brothers. Creedence Clearwater Revival, Pablo Cruise, and Crystal Gayle's back up band.... they had a cool, hip, grooving, country sound that when you listen you can certainly hear the influence of those old bands peeking through.

Browsing through some of their videos, I came on this one where the singer sounds like our very own Floyd.... see if you agree: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KTDNXXL0sg

Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/26/17 10:29 AM
Charlie, that is a showcase for both you and RT's. It works remarkably well. I've attempted a few RT instrumentals with limited successs. I think your chord structure really facilitates the melodic feel of the piece.

We both much enjoyed this over the morning cup of joe.

Excellent!

J&B
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/26/17 12:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Angelo Franco

Excellent job Charlie !
Great atmosphere !

Angelo

Thanks for listening Angelo.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice work on that Charlie. I love the laid back feel to it. Good stuff.

Southern Pacific was one of those bands that had a string of hits and then disappeared. They we quite good. Composed of members of the Doobie Brothers. Creedence Clearwater Revival, Pablo Cruise, and Crystal Gayle's back up band.... they had a cool, hip, grooving, country sound that when you listen you can certainly hear the influence of those old bands peeking through.

Browsing through some of their videos, I came on this one where the singer sounds like our very own Floyd.... see if you agree: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KTDNXXL0sg

I agree Herb, the singer does have a Floyd Jane sound about him. It is Tim Goodman, an original SPB founding member. He left the band in 1986 after the album this cut was on was released. Good find on YouTube.

I'm glad you enjoyed my song that's based on the chord progression of an SPB tune.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Charlie, that is a showcase for both you and RT's. It works remarkably well. I've attempted a few RT instrumentals with limited successs. I think your chord structure really facilitates the melodic feel of the piece.

We both much enjoyed this over the morning cup of joe.

Excellent!

J&B

Thanks for commenting Janice and Bud. In this case, using a professionally constructed chord chart played from RealTracks played by professional musicians in a professional studio did work remarkably well. One thing I found interesting in the melody is I can hear melodic lines that match the Eagles song, I can't tell you why and at the 3:02 mark, the acoustic guitar nearly plays the melody line exactly for the melody of Help Wanted, the tune the chord progression came from. That tells me it is useful to spend time in the Stylepicker auditioning and it's likely a very usable style can be found that will closely match a commercial song I'm trying to cover. Thanks for listening.

BIAB is a wonderful product provided by such a wonderful company as PGMusic.

Charlie
Posted By: jford Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/26/17 01:51 PM
Very cool, Charlie. Enjoyed it a lot...both musically and the production.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/26/17 10:16 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
Very cool, Charlie. Enjoyed it a lot...both musically and the production.

Thanks for having a listen John.

Charlie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/29/17 02:34 PM
Very cool Charlie!! I would love to know what the underlying finger picking RT is-the one that plays solo sometimes. This is sweet!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/29/17 11:03 PM
Wow Charlie. You really have created something very special here.

The entire works have been combined to form a truly masterful song.

Absolutely no doubt about it. This really is a superb instrumental.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/29/17 11:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool Charlie!! I would love to know what the underlying finger picking RT is-the one that plays solo sometimes. This is sweet!! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg, thanks for stopping by and listening. This project really developed without any thought I would post it. I had a specific chord pattern and was trying different styles and exporting certain instruments as performance track and was not keeping any type of record. I can't help with identifying that particular instrument. The final sounding track came out sounding better than what I thought would occur by mixing performance tracks from such diverse styles like the ones I auditioned.

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Wow Charlie. You really have created something very special here.

The entire works have been combined to form a truly masterful song.

Absolutely no doubt about it. This really is a superb instrumental.

Hi Trevor. I could not agree more. This really turned out better than I imagined. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Charlie
Posted By: Marty Sorensen Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/30/17 04:18 AM
A wonderful creation with different guitars.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Wednesday Tune (Instrumental) - 01/30/17 09:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Marty Sorensen
A wonderful creation with different guitars.

Thanks for listening and taking time to comment Marty.

Charlie
© PG Music Forums