PG Music Home
Posted By: jannesan Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/12/17 05:21 AM
Myths Of The Raging Seas

This is the first real musical collaboration I've had. Both music and lyrics were written by me and Miira. I took care of the arrangement with BIAB and Miira sang. Intention was to make some kind of a celtic song. Hopefully it has at least some celtic feel smile This was really fun experience and I think the outcome is quite nice for the first attempt.

Drums: Action Strikes, RD Bodhran Celtic Reel

Realtracks:
Acoustic Bass Bowed #2482, Celtic #1162
Cello #1856
Acoustic guitar #1814
Fiddle #1787, #2549
String quartet #2334
Acoustic piano #2503
Harp #2773

MIDI:
Strings from STR_QT44.sty (IO)
MST #2058 (IO)
melody - bagpipe (GPO4)

Vocals: Miira, Shevannai VST

Mixed in Adobe Audition 2017

Lyrics:

Misty was the morning
when she heard the call
of the legend her mother told
two brothers, seven ships
sailing to new worlds brave and bold
dreaming of wealth
fights alongside the king
through the beast attack
a ghost came back.

No heroes returning,
no treasures, no souvenirs
only the echoes of yearning
only losses and their fears.

Deirdre was a dainty girl
with white hair
all princes wanted to marry her
but she wanted to fight
to be a soldier like her brothers were
with her sword to defy
the myths of the raging seas
in a ruthless breeze.

[Chorus]

Mother could never hold her tears
as Deirdre left for the oceans
she knew it would cause the evil to rise
but she could not restrain her emotions
she tried to hide her sorrow
and gave her daughter advice
for there wouldn't be tomorrow
if ghost of the sea hears her cries

"Keep your silence,
don't show fear to the beast
for nothing will come back
that's been swallowed by the seas"

The kingdom sleeps in misery
silence descended
back on the troubled shores
a mother in grief
losing her dear ones in those wars
she curses the gods,
the monsters of seas
she sets the sail
to join the tale.

__

Janne
Posted By: PeterF Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/12/17 06:22 AM
Janne

Incredibly atmospheric. Excellent use of different elements to create a ethereal song.
Clever innovative and nice unexpected changes as the piece develops.

Peter
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/12/17 06:56 AM
Hi Janne,

I agree with Peter. This is very atmospheric. 'Haunting' was the first word that appeared in my mind just after the introduction started.

Miira's singing is a perfect fit for the mood and the story. She has done a great job.

The arrangement is incredibly inventive. You've really given it your all. Very impressive.

This is definitely a work that you and Miira can feel proud of. You've got my applause!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Scott C Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/12/17 10:10 AM
Wow what a beautiful song. Real tracks and midi were just awesome. Super backtrack and the vocal was excellent. Super delivery. Lyrics were excellent as well...
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/12/17 10:13 AM
Hauntingly beautiful.

I think Miira's vocals could come up front a bit more.

Regardless, it is a very unique and great composition. You must be very proud of this achievement.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/12/17 01:05 PM
Janne,

I really enjoyed this... Agree with the others - very atmospheric - love the overall feel.

Bob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/12/17 03:05 PM
Terrific write, arrangement and performance. This has a very sophisticated feel throughout the whole piece. Excellent work and a nice enjoyable listen.

Charlie
Posted By: jannesan Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/13/17 05:44 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Incredibly atmospheric. Excellent use of different elements to create a ethereal song.
Peter

Thanks Peter for your kind words, I'm glad you liked about atmosphere and all those details smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/13/17 05:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
I agree with Peter. This is very atmospheric. 'Haunting' was the first word that appeared in my mind just after the introduction started.

Miira's singing is a perfect fit for the mood and the story. She has done a great job.

The arrangement is incredibly inventive. You've really given it your all. Very impressive.

This is definitely a work that you and Miira can feel proud of. You've got my applause!

Regards,
Noel

Thanks Noel for your applause, your comments are always so positive and encouraging blush And yes we feel proud of the work smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/13/17 05:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow what a beautiful song. Real tracks and midi were just awesome. Super backtrack and the vocal was excellent. Super delivery. Lyrics were excellent as well...

Thanks Scott for commenting, and liking especially the vocal and lyrics smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/13/17 05:58 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Hauntingly beautiful.

I think Miira's vocals could come up front a bit more.

Regardless, it is a very unique and great composition. You must be very proud of this achievement.

Thanks Videotrack for appreciating our work smile I actually spent quite a long time with the vocals to find the right level at each section, but I agree that the vocals could be more front in some places.

Janne
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/13/17 06:30 PM
Very nice! Haunting, as others have said. Beautifully textured.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/13/17 06:53 PM
This is really good. Your instrumentation is perfect for this haunting beautiful song. Mira does an outstanding job and her singing really sets the mood. If I could change one thing it would be to lower the violin and piano parts while Mira is singing the verses. IMHO they distract from Mira's excellent singing, however I am still giving you two thumbs up on this excellent piece of music.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/13/17 07:45 PM
A very ambitious and to these ears, successful song which drew me into the mystery in both lyrics and music. A celtic sound yes, but with a modern feel that reminded me of Enya and Sandy Denny in her Fotheringay time.
Well done!

Robert
Posted By: jannesan Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/14/17 06:05 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
I really enjoyed this... Agree with the others - very atmospheric - love the overall feel.

Bob

Thanks Bob for loving and commenting smile

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Terrific write, arrangement and performance. This has a very sophisticated feel throughout the whole piece. Excellent work and a nice enjoyable listen.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie for your kind words smile

Janne
Posted By: Yorkshireknight Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/16/17 07:36 AM
Great Composition, lots going on making it really interesting.
Maybe the vocals could have been a touch more forward but I love female vocals in atmospheric songs. Yep I think it was Celtic, contemporary and you have both done a fantastic job!

PS Listened to some other compositions of yours too. Very Talented, and inspirational!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/16/17 12:57 PM
Janne

Peter

Peter said it well.

Nice listen.

J&B
Posted By: jannesan Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/16/17 01:23 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Very nice! Haunting, as others have said. Beautifully textured.

Thanks David for commenting, I'm glad you think it's haunting smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/16/17 01:27 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
This is really good. Your instrumentation is perfect for this haunting beautiful song. Mira does an outstanding job and her singing really sets the mood. If I could change one thing it would be to lower the violin and piano parts while Mira is singing the verses. IMHO they distract from Mira's excellent singing, however I am still giving you two thumbs up on this excellent piece of music.

Thanks Mario for your positive words smile And thanks for your valuable feedback concerning the vocal being distracted. I think I mixed vocals bit too low because I didn't trust my ears.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/16/17 01:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
A very ambitious and to these ears, successful song which drew me into the mystery in both lyrics and music. A celtic sound yes, but with a modern feel that reminded me of Enya and Sandy Denny in her Fotheringay time.
Well done!

Robert

Thanks Robert for commenting, I appreciate that you find it celtic, well thanks to BIAB it is possible smile Thanks also for mentioning Sandy Denny, I hadn't heard about her before but now I'm going to get to know her music better.

Janne
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/17/17 03:45 AM
Hello, Janne

This is very atmospheric and powerful song.
Miira's vocal is very beautiful.
This song reminds me of Titanic's Theme of Celine Dion.
The use of harp is very effective.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/17/17 12:42 PM
Wow - what can I say about this song that hasn't been said already?! (I am in love with this song!)

Miira's vocals are perfect, just like everything else about this song - thank you for sharing it!

This is today's Hot Forum Topic smile
Posted By: jannesan Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/18/17 04:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Yorkshireknight
Great Composition, lots going on making it really interesting.
Maybe the vocals could have been a touch more forward but I love female vocals in atmospheric songs. Yep I think it was Celtic, contemporary and you have both done a fantastic job!

PS Listened to some other compositions of yours too. Very Talented, and inspirational!

Thanks for listening, also my other songs too, and giving so encouraging, inspirational and kind comment smile

Janne
Posted By: HiroshiK Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/18/17 06:26 AM
Janne,

Very nice song.

The voice of Miira adds a unique atmosphere and attraction to it. I also like the fiddle part which is one of the keys for the celtic music.

I enjoyed it a lot.

Hiroshi
Posted By: Marty Sorensen Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/18/17 07:27 PM
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful voice and music. Of course, it's celtic. But, I'm Danish, so to me the lyrics were more Viking than celtic. (I do think, it's nothing compared to the wonderful song, but your photo is not right, it's a commercial ship, not a warrior ship.)
Posted By: jannesan Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/19/17 04:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Peter

Peter said it well.

Nice listen.

J&B

Thanks Janice & Bud for commenting smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/19/17 04:09 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
This is very atmospheric and powerful song.
Miira's vocal is very beautiful.
This song reminds me of Titanic's Theme of Celine Dion.
The use of harp is very effective.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki for your nice comment, I'm glad to hear you also liked Miira's beautiful vocal smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/19/17 04:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Callie - PG Music
Wow - what can I say about this song that hasn't been said already?! (I am in love with this song!)

Miira's vocals are perfect, just like everything else about this song - thank you for sharing it!

This is today's Hot Forum Topic smile

Thanks Callie for giving such a lovely positive comment blush It's a really big honor to get our song to hot forum topic

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/19/17 04:15 AM
Originally Posted By: HiroshiK
Very nice song.

The voice of Miira adds a unique atmosphere and attraction to it. I also like the fiddle part which is one of the keys for the celtic music.

I enjoyed it a lot.

Hiroshi

Thanks Hiroshi for enjoying and liking the atmosphere, thanks to BIAB for the fiddles, they really fit this song smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Myths Of The Raging Seas - 02/19/17 04:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Marty Sorensen
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful voice and music. Of course, it's celtic. But, I'm Danish, so to me the lyrics were more Viking than celtic. (I do think, it's nothing compared to the wonderful song, but your photo is not right, it's a commercial ship, not a warrior ship.)

Thanks Marty for your beautiful words. I hope to time-travel next time to get the right lyrical feeling and real warrior ship pictures wink

Janne
© PG Music Forums