PG Music Home
Posted By: jford Not A Moment Too Soon - 02/27/17 09:18 PM
Here is another song from the stables of Christopher Werle and John Ford.

Not A Moment Too Soon

Chris sings vocals and I created the arrangement. We both share copyright credit and the song is registered with the US Copyright Office and with BMI (#11766041).

This song was written back in 2006 and I've updated it by taking our scratch recordings and wrapped what I think are some cool sounding RealTracks around it to get the final product. I used Band-in-a-Box, originally PowerTracks Pro (from the MIDI export out of BIAB), now RealBand 2017 (opening the MGU file directly), and DC8 Audio Editor (from Diamond Cut Productions) on this song.

This song began life using the MIDI-only style C_Eagles.sty. I changed it to use the suggested _CNTRYMF.sty style instead, which consists of:

Style is _CNTRYMF.STY (Medium-Fast Even 8th Country w/ )

RealTracks in style: ~~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~~362:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 620:Pedal Steel, Background Cowboy Ev 165
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open

I then brought the file into RealBand. I didn't like the Pedal Steel against the vocal, so I took it out. but kept the bass, the two guitars, and the RealDrums.

Since I play piano, I decided to make it more piano-centric by using:

RT1006: Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment, PopCaliforniaSlo

I would have liked to spend some time recording myself playing a similar piano part; however, I'm recovering from cervical spine surgery and am not up to it at this point. I will probably do so at some point in the future.

I also added a solo fiddle to this sing using:

RT624: Fiddle, Soloist George Ev 085

I hope you enjoy it!
Posted By: dani48 Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 02/27/17 09:21 PM
Hi, John !:))

What a nice tune you´ve
written and produced !
Like both tune and your
voice that goes so well
with it !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: jford Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 02/27/17 09:58 PM
Thanks, Dani. This is actually just Chris singing on this version. We often switch off, as well as sing together (he usually does the melody and I that harmony).
Posted By: rsdean Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 02/27/17 10:21 PM
John,

Excellent song. Like the slow build of the arrangement - good production and vocals by Chris as well.

Hope you are on the mend - be well...

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 02/27/17 10:52 PM
Nicely done.

I would bump the vox up a few dB. The music kind of covers them up a bit too much.

Aside from that, this has a nice mellow sound with excellent piano driving it throughout.
Posted By: jford Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 02/28/17 05:16 PM
Thanks, Bob and Herb. I'll take a look at the vocal levels and see if I can tweak them a little.
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 02/28/17 09:28 PM
Hi John

Cool song you make the complicated sound simple,Like the fiddle and love the ending .
Great
Hugh
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 02/28/17 10:21 PM
What an excellent arrangement.

This is so satisfying to listen to, a really beautiful song.

The instrumentation all works really well. I agree with Herb that the vocals could sit slightly more in front.

Great number, going back for another listen.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 02/28/17 11:41 PM
Hi jford, Nicely written song! I found this very soothing and uplifting. Great work! smile
Posted By: Scott C Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 02/28/17 11:50 PM
Beautiful song. Vocal was super...
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 03/01/17 05:30 AM
John,

This is very engaging on the ears. As Trev said, "so satisfying to listen to"... I second that comment.

The arrangement is stunning and Chris's vocals are a perfect fit with the backing. As Herb and others have suggested, I reckon the vocals could be lifted overall by between 1 - 2 dB just to bring them forward a tad.

It's two confident thumbs up from me!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: PeterF Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 03/01/17 06:26 AM
John,
Really pretty song - settles into a nice flowing arrangement.
Excellent production.

Peter
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 03/01/17 10:20 PM
John,

A very pretty melody and nice uplifting lyrics. To my ears your work rescuing the old vocal track with new RT`s has been well worth it - the fiddle sounds great.
I enjoyed listening.

Robert
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 03/02/17 12:45 AM
John, this is a really nice song. I agree with Herb, the vocal could come up a bit. But like has been said, good job of resurrecting the old vocal with new BIAB backing.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 03/03/17 06:22 PM

Very nice tune. Great mix and excellent real tracks use.
I like a lot the fiddle.

Very well sung.

Sergio
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 03/07/17 10:52 PM
Very pleasant listen!! Pretty, melodic song, and a very sweet fiddle part that was born to live in your song. Nice work! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 03/08/17 11:13 AM
John,

I'm always happy to see people posting love songs! I think the fiddle with the piano and guitars works quite well... in fact, nice job with the instrumentation and mix across the board! What a cool thing to add new instruments with BIAB and add new dimensions to songs that were originally written without them!

I hope your healing is progressing to your satisfaction, but if taking time to heal means you have time to post music to the showcase, I guess that's a trade-off that benefits the rest of us.
Posted By: jford Re: Not A Moment Too Soon - 03/09/17 03:46 PM
Thanks, Pat! Yep, have to stem the tide of boredom somehow. And if it's music related, it's going to be fun.
© PG Music Forums