PG Music Home
Posted By: aleck rand You Send Me - 03/01/17 07:35 PM
Hello Forum members,

Enough time has gone by that I'm not sure I remember how to post something. If I don't succeed, it won't be a disaster because this submission barely qualifies for the PG Forum. It just shows how powerful BIAB is when you can add a real powerhouse like Phil Woods on RealTracks alto for the closer, just like that. I like to generate several solos, then cut and paste the best lines to complete it.

The personnel are all pro musicians, one of them a proud alumnus of this Forum. And if it's the best version of this immortal classic since Sam Cooke, then I proudly take credit for being the arranger, the Take 6 clone I call The Deep 6, and a few other things. I'm strictly a side man here. You'll see the real stars when you click this link:

.......................You Send Me: The New Version
Posted By: Scott C Re: You Send Me - 03/01/17 08:14 PM
Wow what cool version to this song. Super vocal and arrangement. Loved it.
Posted By: Will B - PG Music Re: You Send Me - 03/01/17 08:59 PM
I love this arrangement! The orchestration is really wonderful. Awesome take on the classic.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/01/17 10:41 PM
Scott,

Thank you so much. Glad you liked it.

AR
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/01/17 10:44 PM
Will,

Thanks so much for your gracious remarks. Nice to meet up with you somewhere other than PG tech support.

AR
Posted By: Al-David Re: You Send Me - 03/01/17 11:34 PM
Hey!

So nice to be listening to you again! of course, you knew we would like the heck out of this. This is right down our alley.

Super cool arrangement and your lead singer smokes it! This the music Di and I love. Thanks for putting a smile on our ears!

As always, wishing you everything good.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Steve Young Re: You Send Me - 03/02/17 12:51 AM
Nice to hear from you again. Very nice arrangement. Great job on the vocals from James Rivas, and the trumpet was a nice touch. Good job!

Steve
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/02/17 11:21 PM
Hey Al and Di,

I'm really happy we could play something for you that you really liked. Thank you for your generous compliments.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/02/17 11:22 PM
Hi Steve,

The feelings mutual my friend. I'm glad you were able top give this a listen and you liked it.

Thank you.

Dean
Posted By: dani48 Re: You Send Me - 03/02/17 11:40 PM
Hi, brother !

This is a most wonderful version
and I´m really glad you found
a pro to sing it !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Buttrey Re: You Send Me - 03/03/17 01:05 AM
That's really spectacularly good. Can you enlighten us as to which tracks were constructed by BIAB?
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/03/17 11:49 AM
Dani,

This now proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are both still alive, here on planet Earth!

Jimmy Rivas is a very experienced - and very successful - singer/player/arranger/composer from Florida. Here's a interesting good news/bad news/good news etc. story concerning Jimmy.

Good news: A serious movie company recently bought one of his compositions/perfomances for use in an upcoming movie.

Bad news: The movie is about the life of Jeffrey Dahmer (if this name doesn't ring a bell, find out more than you want to know in Wikipedia)

Good news: It only covers Dahmer's early years, just giving hints and signposts pointing to his eventual behaviors.

Bad news: The movie company is not one of the big ones, it's an independent.

Good news: This movie will make lots of money anyway, because so many people find the subject matter irresistible, at least here they do, possibly in Finland not so much.

By the way, are the Finns really going to proceed with that minimum annual income-no work program? Can I move there?

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/03/17 12:05 PM
Thank you kindly Buttrey

And that's a great question - with a very small answer which I'll try to beef up a bit. At the end of the tune, where you hear Jimmy Rivas really belting out the finale ("I know, I know, I know," etc. - I think he's trying to tell us that he knows) you'll hear an alto sax pouring it on for about 4 measures.

Any jazz horn player hearing it will tell you that, whoever it is, this player is absolutely top-notch. Perfect sound, beautifully shaped ideas. Well, this guy is beyond top-notch, and that can only mean it's Phil Woods, one of the amazing number of world class musicians PG music got to create these RealTracks. I don't know how Peter Gannon did it or why he left me out (LOL!), but he did it.

So, the short answer, 4 measures at the end, RealTracks Phil Woods on alto sax. All other instrumental tracks except drums and trumpet were played by me.

AR
Posted By: David Snyder Re: You Send Me - 03/03/17 07:28 PM
Great version!
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/04/17 01:28 PM
Thank you David.

AR
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/05/17 03:56 PM
Dani,

Glad you liked Jimmy's version, Bro'

Dean
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: You Send Me - 03/05/17 07:02 PM

Excellent version. Very pleasant listening.
Sergio
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/06/17 08:54 PM
Sergio,

Very glad you liked it. Thank you.

AR
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: You Send Me - 03/07/17 04:18 AM
Dean, fantastic!

Wow, just how smooth is this!!!

Way up there with your usual perfection.

Great to have you back on board. Don't go away for so long next time, eh?

Trev
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/07/17 09:14 PM
Trevor,

So great to meet up with ye again, man. Always quick with the most generous and kind spirited remarks. Thank you.

True, I have been away, but not exactly by choice. Following the lose of my guitar playing hand to nerve damage, complicated surgery seemed to have failed after the trial observation period. Then 6 more months went by and out of the blue, the unexpected began to happen. My fingers had been frozen in position, with the left pinky sticking out like a bolted-on flag pole. Just as sudden as the collapse of the hand, one day I began moving the pinky toward and away from the rest of the hand. Then the rest of the fingers began spreading out. I can't play the guitar like I used to, but no one can say that I can't play at all.

Expecting the worst, a lot of my time away was spent beefing up my right hand keyboard chops. I banged into a bunch of pros on SoundCloud who began asking me for arrangements and one thing led to another. Now I'm really over committed to these guys. Thia planet wasn't designed right. It really needs a 38 hour day.

Trevor, take care of yourself and I hope to be back soon.

Dean
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: You Send Me - 03/08/17 11:35 AM
wow! Dean, you never disappoint! Everything you touch turns to gold.. (you should change your forum name to MIDAS)

wonderful arrangement.. I can't even wrap my brain around what you've done here (but that's my usual reaction to your showcase posts)

You should be famous.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: You Send Me - 03/08/17 06:16 PM
Love the arrangement, smooth as silk
super mix, great vocals, it's all here

Kenny
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: You Send Me - 03/09/17 09:01 PM
This one really SENDS ME!!! Beautifully arranged and mixed. Some wonderful players and a vocalist who knows how. Welcome back Dean! I've missed you!! Sam Cooke is slow dancing in his grave! Take care. Greg
Posted By: lambada Re: You Send Me - 03/09/17 09:43 PM
Tremendous performance, recording, arrangement. One can only stand in awe.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: You Send Me - 03/10/17 01:43 PM
Aleck,
Great arrangement and performances. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: You Send Me - 03/10/17 03:17 PM
Excellent production of an already great song. Everything is top notch.

Enjoyed, enjoyed, enjoyed...

Charlie
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: You Send Me - 03/10/17 07:45 PM
This sounds amazing! Put a smile on my face. You should be proud of your work!! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/10/17 08:13 PM
Pat,

Man, it's great to run into you again. This is the kind of flattery that always leaves me speechless. But, as always, you always throw in something that provokes a response. This time it concerns fame. Brother, if I saw fame coming at me, I'd turn around and run the other way and wonder what went wrong.

I'd have something in common with Justin Bieber, which would be unacceptable. I'd lose my privacy. My phone is ringing off the hook all day long as it is, with robo-calls, telemarketers, crackpots, and all kinds of appeals for money. Just based on my phone activity, I already am famous!!

No, I'll stick with a small circle of people I respect for their qualities. I'm thankful to have yours, and you can be sure you have mine.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/10/17 08:15 PM
Kenny,

I'm really glad to get your positive reaction. Thank you.

AR
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/10/17 08:26 PM
Greg,

Such kindness in your words. I've missed you too, my friend. I started what I thought was a casual involvement in SoundCloud, which eventually got out of control. I buried myself in promises - "yeah, sure I can do this tune for ya ...", "You want arrangement for that, hey, no problem ..." - which then turned into commitments. I really never recovered and now I'm always trying to catch up.

I can't believe I lucked out in this way. I never work so hard as during my professional life. I'm looking down on Cloud 9. And, thank you for your generous remarks on You Send Me.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/10/17 08:31 PM
Lambada,

Wow! Such a wonderful compliment. My deepest thanks.

AR
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/10/17 08:46 PM
Peter,

It's always a pleasure to get your endorsement. I haven't been away that long, still the growth of the Forum and new features is immediately noticeable.

Continued success, and thank you for your kind remarks.

AR
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/10/17 09:17 PM
Charlie,

Great to hear from you again, and thank you for a great compliment. I've been bowled over by response to this tune and by the warm welcome back.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: You Send Me - 03/13/17 07:34 PM
Thank you Torrey, That's a wonderful compliment.

AR
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: You Send Me - 03/14/17 11:37 AM
One of our favs and you folks more than did it justice with the stunning instrumentation and vocal.

Nice

J&B
© PG Music Forums