PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad She's Gone To Texas - 03/03/17 06:16 PM
I have been very busy lately and must apologize for not commenting on any of the great songs that have been posted recently. I have also been dealing with some health issues which seem to come with the territory of getting older. I won’t shake up the natural order of the first page by going back and commenting on songs that I missed. I have been listening and continue to be impressed by the creativity that is the hallmark of this forum. To continue the Texas theme from floyd’s latest, here’s one.

https://soundcloud.com/tommyad/shes-gone-to-texas

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

Vocals, Pedal Steel, Electric & Acoustic Guitars, Tom Adams

( Note- The leads at the end were loops )

Royalty free loops

RealTracks in style: 1255:Bass, Electric, PopShiningA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1264:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopShiningA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 2535:Guitar, Electric, HeldChords Gritty
RealTracks in style: 1259:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningRockA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1755:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop8ths Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 2035:Mandolin, Soloist CountryAndy Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 851:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NashvillePopClean Ev 120 (A:held)
RealDrums: RealDrums in Style: PraiseWorshipShine^01-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Gone To Texas

There’s nothing quite as big as a western sky
When daylight fades and it gets a little dark
It’s tough to see what’s up and gone so far into the night
Especially when it matters to your heart

She’s gone to Texas
Back to Mission to try it on her own
we lost that connection
Says she thinks she’s better off alone

They say it’s never easy that’s just the way it is
Evidently people clearly change
What goes up must come down and all comes down to this
What once was love suddenly feels strange

She’s gone to Texas
we lost that connection

I’m not one to try and claim I know the reasons why
All i know is my whole world is leaving here tonight

She’s gone to Texas
we lost that connection

©2017 Thomas Adams
Posted By: Biglad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/03/17 06:45 PM
thank you tommy that was escellent great story wells sung .brill backing vocals reminds me of early brooks and dunn.keep em coming
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/03/17 09:09 PM
Again you nail it.

I loved this before you even started singing. That groove is right there from the start that I love.

Those are some ripping loops.... the ending was too soon for me..... yeah it could have rocked on for a while.

OK back to the song.... man what a phenomenal example of a chorus that just freaking delivers the goods! And you get there before the 60 second mark in the song. Everything about this says it should be a top 10 radio song.

Very nice....
Posted By: rsdean Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/03/17 09:25 PM
Tom,

So good to see you back. This is outstanding... Love the song, arrangement and your awesome vocal.

Bob
Posted By: PeterF Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/03/17 10:06 PM
Tom,
Fantastic - brilliant chorus - great overall sound -loved it.

Peter
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/04/17 12:00 AM
It has been literally a few years since I've been able to listen to the User Showcase. I'm glad I'm back, cause the Biab Users have come a LONG way with their recordings. This was awesome ! Love the whole song and layout, including the harmonies added. My only nitpick, which may be due to my headphones, the Hi's were a little hot for my taste. Too crisp, in other words.

Great song though, keep on writing and rocking friend!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/04/17 12:35 AM
It just wasn't the same without you around here,
so glad to see and hear a new song.

Hell of a good chorus, everything about this song
just shines, pro sounding mix. Really nice vocals
and the guitars as always razor sharp good.
I'd stay away from Mission if I wuz you, think I went
thru there at some point, that whole McAllen area
is too far south and too dangerous amigo.
Great song

Kenny
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/04/17 01:25 AM
Tom I hope you are on the mend health wise. Always love your music. This is a great rocker.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/04/17 03:13 AM
Tom,

I was quite excited when I saw your name pop up with a new post. It's been quite a while! It really is great to have you back.

Once again you've written, performed and produced a work of art that is exceptional. You have a knack for this. Time and again you show us all how it's done.

This was a terrific listen. Ear candy? Nope, it went way beyond that. This was from the the top shelf liqueur section of the songwriting.

All the best and may your mending come along leaps and bounds.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/04/17 08:59 AM
Man, just so good! Great chorus, really makes the song.
Loved the guitar solo at the end, would have never have guessed it was loops? Doesn't matter, it fit the tune perfectly.
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/04/17 10:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Biglad
thank you tommy that was escellent great story wells sung .brill backing vocals reminds me of early brooks and dunn.keep em coming
Brad, Thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed Highland Girl and look forward to many more from you. Tom
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Again you nail it.

I loved this before you even started singing. That groove is right there from the start that I love.

Those are some ripping loops.... the ending was too soon for me..... yeah it could have rocked on for a while.

OK back to the song.... man what a phenomenal example of a chorus that just freaking delivers the goods! And you get there before the 60 second mark in the song. Everything about this says it should be a top 10 radio song.

Very nice....
Herb, Once again I thank you for being such a strong supporter of my music. That lead loop smokes. No need to try and top that. Whiskey For Breakfast is so strong. A great write by the Raleigh boys and some spectacular production, playing and singing from yourself. I really enjoyed it! Tom
Posted By: Scott C Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/04/17 10:22 AM
Glad your back and feeling better. Loved this tune. Excellent vocal lyric and guitar work. Very cool pickguard on that tele....
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/04/17 08:12 PM
Great work on this tommyad! Really love the vocal production and driving guitar riffs. Very pleasant to listen to! smile
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/05/17 12:20 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Tom,

So good to see you back. This is outstanding... Love the song, arrangement and your awesome vocal.

Bob
Bob, Thanks much. I enjoyed the hypnotic feel of Waterproof. Another good one from you. Tom
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Tom,
Fantastic - brilliant chorus - great overall sound -loved it.

Peter
Thanks and I loved Don't Need A Man. Tom
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/05/17 06:11 PM
This is great ! Reminds me of Diamond Rio.

Mix was great as well, loved it.

Trax
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/05/17 06:23 PM

Super song. A real hit.

Sergio
Posted By: Steve Young Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/05/17 08:01 PM
I always look forward to hearing anything you post on the forum. Like you, health situations I have taken me out of commission in the forum quite a bit the past few months. I hope you are doing much better. This place isn't the same without you around.

This is really outstanding. Your choruses always seem to explode onto the scene, after some good introductory imagery in the verse leading up to it. Good writing. And your vocals and "pickin" always come across just right. Like Herb said, once again you nailed it!

Steve
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/05/17 09:55 PM
Tom, your music is always great! This is no exception! Everything here sounds wonderful-a great song. Blessings for your health! Thanks, Torrey.
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/06/17 09:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Muzic Trax
It has been literally a few years since I've been able to listen to the User Showcase. I'm glad I'm back, cause the Biab Users have come a LONG way with their recordings. This was awesome ! Love the whole song and layout, including the harmonies added. My only nitpick, which may be due to my headphones, the Hi's were a little hot for my taste. Too crisp, in other words.

Great song though, keep on writing and rocking friend!

Hey Trax, Good to hear from you. I appreciate the nice comments. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
It just wasn't the same without you around here,
so glad to see and hear a new song.

Hell of a good chorus, everything about this song
just shines, pro sounding mix. Really nice vocals
and the guitars as always razor sharp good.
I'd stay away from Mission if I wuz you, think I went
thru there at some point, that whole McAllen area
is too far south and too dangerous amigo.
Great song

Kenny
Kenny, Thanks for the kind words. You're right the Valley area is a little rough. We've been there many times. Thanks again, Tom
Posted By: 90 dB Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/06/17 10:58 AM
Tommy,

Late on this one. This is great stuff!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/07/17 09:57 AM
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Tom I hope you are on the mend health wise. Always love your music. This is a great rocker.
Thanks for giving it a spin. Appreciated, Tom
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Tom,

I was quite excited when I saw your name pop up with a new post. It's been quite a while! It really is great to have you back.

Once again you've written, performed and produced a work of art that is exceptional. You have a knack for this. Time and again you show us all how it's done.

This was a terrific listen. Ear candy? Nope, it went way beyond that. This was from the the top shelf liqueur section of the songwriting.

All the best and may your mending come along leaps and bounds.

Regards,
Noel
Noel, Those are some wonderful comments. Thank you for your time. Tom
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/07/17 02:13 PM
Texas has suddenly become the genesis of some outstanding BIAB based tunes. This one is really textbook for how it should be done. Excellent at every level. Every level...

Really like this song a lot.

Hope you are feeling better and glad you are feeling up to spending time on the forum.

Charlie
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/07/17 02:48 PM
Helluva re-entry Tom!!

Soon as I heard those drums I knew we were in for another stellar production. This has George Strait written all over it --literally and figuratively.

This is a showcase for everything you do so well.

We listen to a lot of what IMHO is good country...a la Strait, Jackson, Black, etc. and this song would hold it's own big time in a playlist with them.

Outstanding production -- all of it, the write, the vocals, your playing and the mix.

Well, Janice just said it gives her an early Eagles feel. Yeah....

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/07/17 07:34 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man, just so good! Great chorus, really makes the song.
Loved the guitar solo at the end, would have never have guessed it was loops? Doesn't matter, it fit the tune perfectly.
Dave, Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/08/17 10:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Glad your back and feeling better. Loved this tune. Excellent vocal lyric and guitar work. Very cool pickguard on that tele....
Scott, thanks for the kindness. The pickguard is from Greasy Grooves. Tom
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Great work on this tommyad! Really love the vocal production and driving guitar riffs. Very pleasant to listen to! smile
Joe, Always a pleasure to hear from a staffer. Thanks, Tom
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/08/17 10:51 AM
Wow, Tom! That was friggin' phenomenal!

What a powerful combination of talents and instruments! The drums are absolutely live sounding (and powerful) , and that drum intro provides the perfect buildup of pre-song excitement!

The fact that you've incorporated a groove, used dynamics throughout, and interesting lyrics are all icing on the proverbial cake!

Your transitions are good too... sustains where they fit, drum fills at all the right places!

Your vocals are perfect for the songs you write... it's easy to see that you have invested a lot of years playing music... your output is totally pro, as good or better than most of what I hear at music festivals!

I have to agree with Herb that given the live feel of the song, I expected the ending solo to last a lot longer. It left me feeling a little disappointed when the song ended when it did. I was ready to keep dancing. (And I don't even dance. )

Two enthusiastic thumbs up (Plus most of my toes)
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/09/17 10:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Muzic Trax
This is great ! Reminds me of Diamond Rio.

Mix was great as well, loved it.

Trax
Again, Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Super song. A real hit.

Sergio
Sergio, Thanks for the listen. Glad you liked it. Tom
Posted By: Skyline Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/09/17 02:45 PM
Glad to see you're back in harness again Tom. This is a superb foot tapper and the chorus is a real killer; can't get it off my mind. Another fine piece of pro-level work. Love it!

John
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/10/17 10:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
I always look forward to hearing anything you post on the forum. Like you, health situations I have taken me out of commission in the forum quite a bit the past few months. I hope you are doing much better. This place isn't the same without you around.

This is really outstanding. Your choruses always seem to explode onto the scene, after some good introductory imagery in the verse leading up to it. Good writing. And your vocals and "pickin" always come across just right. Like Herb said, once again you nailed it!

Steve
Thanks for all that Steve, I appreciate it. Tom
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Tom, your music is always great! This is no exception! Everything here sounds wonderful-a great song. Blessings for your health! Thanks, Torrey.
Torrey, Thank you very much. I'm glad you liked it. Tom
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/11/17 02:42 AM
Great stuff Tom!! You continue to amaze me with your musical hooks. Great how the verse and chorus are so distinct and work together so well. The lyrics are great, and what is also great is what's not spelled out... some things just happen and can't be easily explained. Guitar work is stellar!! This is a gem!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/11/17 02:10 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Tommy,

Late on this one. This is great stuff!

Regards,

Bob
Thanks for stopping by Bob. Tom
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/11/17 03:25 PM
++++++++++
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/12/17 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Texas has suddenly become the genesis of some outstanding BIAB based tunes. This one is really textbook for how it should be done. Excellent at every level. Every level...

Really like this song a lot.

Hope you are feeling better and glad you are feeling up to spending time on the forum.

Charlie
Charlie, thanks for coming by and leaving the great comments. It means a lot to me. Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/12/17 06:26 PM
Tom,

I believe I have listened to this song more times than ANY other song that has ever been posted on this forum. It is a song that begs to be repeated again and again and again. "Hit" written all over it.

You deserve all the accolades that have been written. Each of the comparisons hold...Eagles, Diamond Rio and (especially) Brooks and Dunn (this sounds like they already made it a #1).

All aspects of this sets the bar as high as it goes. The production, arrangement and mix. The playing.. (nice steel!). Your vocals!

The songwriting is pro "radio" writing. The highest compliment I can give another writer is "I wish I had written this!"

Truly stellar. In every way.

floyd
Posted By: Sundance Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/13/17 03:42 PM
Deceptively simple, catchy and a down right ear worm! I totally agree with FJ on this one. If I were still on country radio, I'd play it on my morning show.

Well done!
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/13/17 06:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Helluva re-entry Tom!!

Soon as I heard those drums I knew we were in for another stellar production. This has George Strait written all over it --literally and figuratively.

This is a showcase for everything you do so well.

We listen to a lot of what IMHO is good country...a la Strait, Jackson, Black, etc. and this song would hold it's own big time in a playlist with them.

Outstanding production -- all of it, the write, the vocals, your playing and the mix.

Well, Janice just said it gives her an early Eagles feel. Yeah....

Enjoyed it!

J&B
There is no question in my mind that you get what I'm trying to do here. I was originally thinking George Strait and when I put that lead loop in at the end I was thinking Don Felder. I always look forward to your comments and you never fail to disappoint me. Thank you both so much for your support. Tom
Posted By: Al-David Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/13/17 07:12 PM
Hi Tom,

Super-duper song and performance! This sounds about as pro as anything I've heard here in a long time. There are some great, pro-sounding on the board right now (and have been in the past) ... this one shines right there at the top.

I agree with the Diamond Rio analogy someone offered earlier. And wow ... that guitar track is so freaking hot! Your vocal is great and the arrangement is top shelf all the way.

Di and I loved our listen ... listened twice before moving on. Standing "O"!

Wishing you the best with issues. I (Alan) know that feeling of health issues as we age ... I'll be 70 on the 22nd of this month. Yikes!

Alan & Di
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/14/17 08:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Wow, Tom! That was friggin' phenomenal!

What a powerful combination of talents and instruments! The drums are absolutely live sounding (and powerful) , and that drum intro provides the perfect buildup of pre-song excitement!

The fact that you've incorporated a groove, used dynamics throughout, and interesting lyrics are all icing on the proverbial cake!

Your transitions are good too... sustains where they fit, drum fills at all the right places!

Your vocals are perfect for the songs you write... it's easy to see that you have invested a lot of years playing music... your output is totally pro, as good or better than most of what I hear at music festivals!

I have to agree with Herb that given the live feel of the song, I expected the ending solo to last a lot longer. It left me feeling a little disappointed when the song ended when it did. I was ready to keep dancing. (And I don't even dance. )

Two enthusiastic thumbs up (Plus most of my toes)
Pat, That's a whole lot of great things to take in. Thanks, Tom
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/14/17 09:51 AM
I was not familiar with your work...looks like I have some listening to do! What a great song!

I really love this line...
Quote:

and to tuck that into the rest of that verse so well, man top notch writing.

Production...wow! I'm seriously impressed! You mentioned BIAB as the drum source, is that for everything? The intro so sets the feel of the song, and I don't remember hearing those groves. Now, I'm not at my computer to try it, so I figured I would ask.

Also, your processing of the drums really has them pop more than I've heard before from BIAB. If you have secrets to that, please share! wink

I guess I have my listening work cut out for me. What a great find to start my day! Great job all the way around!
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/15/17 09:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Skyline
Glad to see you're back in harness again Tom. This is a superb foot tapper and the chorus is a real killer; can't get it off my mind. Another fine piece of pro-level work. Love it!

John
John, When I get a thumbs up from a great talent as yourself, I feel I've done OK. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Great stuff Tom!! You continue to amaze me with your musical hooks. Great how the verse and chorus are so distinct and work together so well. The lyrics are great, and what is also great is what's not spelled out... some things just happen and can't be easily explained. Guitar work is stellar!! This is a gem!! Take care. Greg
Greg, Glad you picked up on the connect the dots theory in the lyrics. Thank you for your never-ending support. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/16/17 12:31 PM
Originally Posted By: fiddler2007
++++++++++
Fiddler, Glad you liked it. Tom
Posted By: David Snyder Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/17/17 04:00 PM
Some great sounds here Tommy.

Love the chord progression and the energy. Excellent song structure. Love the guitar tag at the end too.

Pound for country pound, this is just a great production.
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/17/17 09:07 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tom,

I believe I have listened to this song more times than ANY other song that has ever been posted on this forum. It is a song that begs to be repeated again and again and again. "Hit" written all over it.

You deserve all the accolades that have been written. Each of the comparisons hold...Eagles, Diamond Rio and (especially) Brooks and Dunn (this sounds like they already made it a #1).

All aspects of this sets the bar as high as it goes. The production, arrangement and mix. The playing.. (nice steel!). Your vocals!

The songwriting is pro "radio" writing. The highest compliment I can give another writer is "I wish I had written this!"

Truly stellar. In every way.

floyd
I may just have to frame this, but I'm way to cheap! I'll just keep it on my desktop for now. Many thanks, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/18/17 01:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Deceptively simple, catchy and a down right ear worm! I totally agree with FJ on this one. If I were still on country radio, I'd play it on my morning show.

Well done!
Josie, I sure would have loved to hear you on the radio! Thanks for the nice comments. Tom
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Tom,

Super-duper song and performance! This sounds about as pro as anything I've heard here in a long time. There are some great, pro-sounding on the board right now (and have been in the past) ... this one shines right there at the top.

I agree with the Diamond Rio analogy someone offered earlier. And wow ... that guitar track is so freaking hot! Your vocal is great and the arrangement is top shelf all the way.

Di and I loved our listen ... listened twice before moving on. Standing "O"!

Wishing you the best with issues. I (Alan) know that feeling of health issues as we age ... I'll be 70 on the 22nd of this month. Yikes!

Alan & Di
Thanks to the both of you. I hope you both feel better. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/19/17 09:54 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
I was not familiar with your work...looks like I have some listening to do! What a great song!

I really love this line...
Quote:

and to tuck that into the rest of that verse so well, man top notch writing.

Production...wow! I'm seriously impressed! You mentioned BIAB as the drum source, is that for everything? The intro so sets the feel of the song, and I don't remember hearing those groves. Now, I'm not at my computer to try it, so I figured I would ask.

Also, your processing of the drums really has them pop more than I've heard before from BIAB. If you have secrets to that, please share! wink

I guess I have my listening work cut out for me. What a great find to start my day! Great job all the way around!
Caaron, It's always nice to have you come by and comment on one of my songs. Good to hear from you again. The BIAB drums were in the verses the rest was loops. The processing used CLA drums, Alloy2 and Logic Pro X drum EQ. Thanks, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: She's Gone To Texas - 03/20/17 05:04 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Some great sounds here Tommy.

Love the chord progression and the energy. Excellent song structure. Love the guitar tag at the end too.

Pound for country pound, this is just a great production.
David, thanks for the wonderful comments. Tom
© PG Music Forums