PG Music Home
Posted By: ROG GT40 - 03/04/17 04:19 PM
Before I got into Realband and RTs in a big way, I used Powertracks as my DAW of choice and for old time's sake, I thought I'd try another project from start to finish in Powertracks. I know a lot of people here use other DAWs, and why not, but in this project I used ten instrument tracks, plus a further sixteen tracks of vocals which were sub-grouped in batches of four. I had six VST effects patched into various channel inserts, a reverb and a delay patched into two effects busses and a parametric EQ and a balancing amp on the main output buss. The whole mix, including effects was automated. I always marvel that a program which can do all this is so inexpensive! Many thanks PG.

So, here we have a bit of Surf Rock and to keep in period I used my old Fender Jazzmaster, plus an old Farfisa organ. Once again I used the old and temperamental Syntovox vocoder on vocals.

GT40
I bought a new Ferrari, it was shiny and red
And trimmed out with leather inside
I was feeling kinda proud so I went to see my baby
To see if she'd come along for a ride
She took one look and then she shook her head, she said...
"You should have bought a GT40 instead".

It has to be a Ford, a GT40
It has to be a Ford, a GT40
Everybody knows, everyone can see
It has to be a GT40 for me.

Well a GT40's kinda hard to find
There's not a lot of 40s around
I checked on ebay, almost every day -
Not a single one to be found
I asked her would a T-Bird maybe do instead?
She thought for a minute then she shook her head...

I finally found a car, but it wasn't for sale
There was only one thing I could say
I made him an offer he just couldn't refuse
And I got to drive the 40 away
As the sound of the V8 nearly filled my head
I finally came to realise why my baby had said...

As usual, many thanks to anyone who has time to listen.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: rsdean Re: GT40 - 03/04/17 05:26 PM
ROG,

Such a cool song! Love the 60s feel and arrangement. Great vocals and mix.

Bob
Posted By: Marty Sorensen Re: GT40 - 03/04/17 07:38 PM
Well, a driving song (no put intended), the vocals great. And the mix, esp. Maybe not the mix per se, meaning I'm not proficient enough to judge, but the way the instruments were integrated, missing, etc.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: GT40 - 03/04/17 08:06 PM
Great job ROG! Love the shreddin' on the highway feel. Very crunchy guitars. Nice work! smile
Posted By: Skyline Re: GT40 - 03/05/17 08:22 AM
Great work Rog, superb beat and guitar work+sound. I needed something to get me going on this wet Sunday morning and this was it! Cheers.

John
Posted By: tommyad Re: GT40 - 03/05/17 12:14 PM
Rog, Awesome overall sound. The highly compressed drums and the distorted guitar set up this rocker. Great arrangement, playing, and super vocals. Loved it all, Tom
Posted By: 90 dB Re: GT40 - 03/05/17 06:44 PM
ROG,

Ditto what Tom said. Love that Farfisa!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Steve Young Re: GT40 - 03/05/17 07:55 PM
Really excellent, ROG! This is my new favorite of yours. Like pretty much everything about it. The arrangement is spot on. Like the breakdown/buildup on the chorus towards the end. Vocals sound great for this one, and very nice guitar work.

Steve
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/06/17 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
ROG,

Bob

Hi Bob. Many thanks for the listen and review. Pleased you liked it.

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/06/17 04:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Marty Sorensen
Well, a driving song (no put intended), the vocals great. And the mix, esp. Maybe not the mix per se, meaning I'm not proficient enough to judge, but the way the instruments were integrated, missing, etc.

Hi Marty. Thanks for the kind words. If the mix sounds good to you then I'm more than happy.
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/06/17 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Great job ROG! Love the shreddin' on the highway feel. Very crunchy guitars. Nice work! smile

Hey Joe. Many thanks for looking in on this one. Yeah, I enjoyed laying down the guitars - I just love Surf Rock style guitar music!
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: Scott C Re: GT40 - 03/06/17 04:47 PM
Very cool tune Rog. Super backtrack on this. Love the beat to the tune. Excellent vocals as well. Guitar was very cool
Posted By: PeterF Re: GT40 - 03/07/17 07:25 AM
Rog
Great sound - excellent guitars, and a big overall sound.
Really nice!

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: GT40 - 03/07/17 06:40 PM
Man, that is an amazing production. You have so much going on that it makes my hair hurt to try and understand it...and it all works so well. More than 5-6 tracks and I'm overloaded.

Farfisa? Wow...that takes me back to Sam The Sham -- Janice is too young to remember smile

You grabbed hold of that surf vibe, flew with it and landed in a great place.

A surf wall of sound that works in all aspects...the write, vocals, arrangement, playing and the BIG production.

Fun!

J&B
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/07/17 08:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Skyline
Great work Rog, superb beat and guitar work+sound. I needed something to get me going on this wet Sunday morning and this was it! Cheers.

John

Hi John. Thanks for the kind words - I always admire your playing, so praise indeed. Glad it got your Sunday morning into gear. Strangely, it was wall to wall sunshine here in North Yorks, but that's the British weather for you!
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/07/17 08:19 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Rog, Awesome overall sound. The highly compressed drums and the distorted guitar set up this rocker. Great arrangement, playing, and super vocals. Loved it all, Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for the listen and review. I was going for the power drums this time around, so pleased you liked that. The guitars were just so much fun to do - I love playing Rock & Roll and Surf Rock.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/07/17 08:24 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
ROG,

Ditto what Tom said. Love that Farfisa!

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob. Always pleased to get a review from you. If you want a trashy organ sound you can't beat a Farfisa. This one doesn't belong to me - a friend has a Compact Duo that still works (sometimes). Many thanks for looking in.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: GT40 - 03/08/17 11:45 AM
Rog,

I want to be you when I grow up! Listening to that was so much fun! I envy the talent you have spreading out in so many different directions! I dare say there aren't too many here who could play all the instruments and sing all the parts and make it sound as good as you can!

50 years ago that song might have made you a rich man! But I think that music has enriched your life in ways that mere money could not. And I respect your decision to use your talents to help others enjoy music.. both as listeners and as performers.

You truly are the MUSIC PROF!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: GT40 - 03/08/17 06:10 PM
turned her nose up at a Ferrari?
Well,
Great rocker! love the bass (kinda Saw Her Standing There)
keeps things moving and grooving
Love the guitars
Loved the breakdown on the last chorus and drums that lead into the outro

Cool sound that we don't get to hear much anymore

Kenny
Posted By: Al-David Re: GT40 - 03/09/17 06:18 AM
Hey Rog,

Sounds like you rounded up some of the left-over pickers from the Beach Boys, Beatles and Hondells for this one. Considering they really old farts now, they sounding pretty danged fine. This is a classic song for the era ... shoulda been #1 in 1962.

You talent sparkles like diamond dust in the light. We totally loved this. now ... if we can get our damned feet to quiet down! Super Sweet!!!

Best to you,

Alan & Di
Posted By: floyd jane Re: GT40 - 03/09/17 01:03 PM
ROG,

That was SO cool!

You absolutely nailed the sound all around. The Drums, The guitars, The organ!

Terrific mix. A great listen.

And...a very clever write. (And catchy!). Excellent.

floyd
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/09/17 08:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Really excellent, ROG! This is my new favorite of yours. Like pretty much everything about it. The arrangement is spot on. Like the breakdown/buildup on the chorus towards the end. Vocals sound great for this one, and very nice guitar work.

Steve

Hi Steve. Many thanks for the review. If it's become your favourite, then I'm more than happy.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/09/17 08:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool tune Rog. Super backtrack on this. Love the beat to the tune. Excellent vocals as well. Guitar was very cool

Thanks very much, Scott, for all the kind comments.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/09/17 08:18 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Rog
Great sound - excellent guitars, and a big overall sound.
Really nice!

Peter

Many thanks, Peter. So pleased you liked it.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: GT40 - 03/09/17 08:26 PM
Perfect song for the vocals and effects. The outro fade came too soon, a couple really good waves were still cresting...

Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/09/17 08:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Man, that is an amazing production. You have so much going on that it makes my hair hurt to try and understand it...and it all works so well. More than 5-6 tracks and I'm overloaded.

Farfisa? Wow...that takes me back to Sam The Sham -- Janice is too young to remember smile

You grabbed hold of that surf vibe, flew with it and landed in a great place.

A surf wall of sound that works in all aspects...the write, vocals, arrangement, playing and the BIG production.

Fun!

J&B

Hi there J&B. Thanks for looking in and the very positive review. Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs? Well yes, I loved Wooly Bully! As I said to Bob (90db) this Farfisa belongs to a friend. It's a Compact Duo and the model is quite sought after these days, though like a lot of electronics from that era, it can be a touch temperamental. They really do have a signature sound though. Anyway, so glad you liked the track.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: GT40 - 03/11/17 02:36 AM
ROG,

Bob

Agreed!! Cool song! Thought of Summertime blues when I heard that spoken line. Good subject for this type of song too. Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/13/17 08:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Rog,

I want to be you when I grow up! Listening to that was so much fun! I envy the talent you have spreading out in so many different directions! I dare say there aren't too many here who could play all the instruments and sing all the parts and make it sound as good as you can!

50 years ago that song might have made you a rich man! But I think that music has enriched your life in ways that mere money could not. And I respect your decision to use your talents to help others enjoy music.. both as listeners and as performers.

You truly are the MUSIC PROF!

Hi Pat. Thanks so much for all the nice comments.
I've certainly had a lot of fun from music over the years and I can't remember a single day when I was bored. It's hard to believe that after all this time there's still so much to learn, but I think that what we have learnt, we owe it to the kids to pass it on. There's so much of it which you just can't learn from books.
Thanks again, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/13/17 08:17 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
turned her nose up at a Ferrari?
Well,
Great rocker! love the bass (kinda Saw Her Standing There)
keeps things moving and grooving
Love the guitars
Loved the breakdown on the last chorus and drums that lead into the outro

Cool sound that we don't get to hear much anymore

Kenny

Hi Kenny. Ferrari or GT40? Yes a difficult one, that! Glad you liked it and thanks for the review.
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/13/17 08:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey Rog,

Sounds like you rounded up some of the left-over pickers from the Beach Boys, Beatles and Hondells for this one. Considering they really old farts now, they sounding pretty danged fine. This is a classic song for the era ... shoulda been #1 in 1962.

You talent sparkles like diamond dust in the light. We totally loved this. now ... if we can get our damned feet to quiet down! Super Sweet!!!

Best to you,

Alan & Di

A number one in '62 would have been nice! So pleased to see you back on the forum, Alan and I hope you're well on the road to recovery.
Many thanks for the review.
ROG.
Posted By: Will Rockwell Re: GT40 - 03/14/17 04:25 PM
Great fun song about my favorite car
Posted By: jford Re: GT40 - 03/15/17 05:42 PM
Great, fun song, Rog.

Kind of a reverse Beach Boys "Fun, Fun, Fun".

Loved the humorous lyrics and my foot was tapping the whole time.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: GT40 - 03/16/17 07:47 AM
ROG,

What a trip down memory lane! You've absolutely nailed the sound and the production. Your composition and it's musical treatment is so very skillful in every way. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: RnAM Re: GT40 - 03/16/17 06:44 PM
This is a very fun combination of ZZ Top and the Beach boys ;-)
But very professional again like all your tracks!
Yes, very cool.

Rob
Posted By: Yorkshireknight Re: GT40 - 03/19/17 07:36 AM
Another excellent peice of composing and musicianship. Great vocals. Yorkshires Best!
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/20/17 08:20 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ROG,

That was SO cool!

You absolutely nailed the sound all around. The Drums, The guitars, The organ!

Terrific mix. A great listen.

And...a very clever write. (And catchy!). Excellent.

floyd

Hi Floyd.
Always pleased to get a review from the master! Glad you liked this one.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/20/17 08:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Perfect song for the vocals and effects. The outro fade came too soon, a couple really good waves were still cresting...

Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie

Hi Charlie. Many thanks for the listen, the review and the kind words. The best waves always appear when you've just brought your board in!
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/20/17 08:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
ROG,

Bob

Agreed!! Cool song! Thought of Summertime blues when I heard that spoken line. Good subject for this type of song too. Great stuff!! Take care. Greg

Many thanks, Greg. I really need to lose the British accent if I'm going to make the spoken lines work!
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/20/17 08:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Will Rockwell
Great fun song about my favorite car

Hi Will and many thanks for the review. How did they manage to build a car like that in the 60s ?
It's still got to be one of the best cars ever. You can buy a new replica over here for a bit over £100k if you really need one!
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/20/17 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
Great, fun song, Rog.

Kind of a reverse Beach Boys "Fun, Fun, Fun".

Loved the humorous lyrics and my foot was tapping the whole time.

Hi John. Great to see you reviewing after your recent op. Hope you're well on the road to recovery. Many thanks and keep that foot tapping.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: gruverider Re: GT40 - 03/21/17 07:36 PM
What a great Rocker! I'm impressed with all the work you did on the vocals!

Great job.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/22/17 07:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
ROG,

What a trip down memory lane! You've absolutely nailed the sound and the production. Your composition and it's musical treatment is so very skillful in every way. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride!

Regards,
Noel

Hi Noel. Many thanks for the listen and review. Always value your opinion and glad you enjoyed this offering.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/22/17 08:00 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
This is a very fun combination of ZZ Top and the Beach boys ;-)
But very professional again like all your tracks!
Yes, very cool.

Rob

Hi Rob. ZZ Top and the Beach Boys? Couldn't wish for a better complement. Thank you!
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/22/17 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Yorkshireknight
Another excellent peice of composing and musicianship. Great vocals. Yorkshires Best!

Many thanks for the listen. Good to get a review from a fellow Yorkshireman.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: GT40 - 03/22/17 08:04 PM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
What a great Rocker! I'm impressed with all the work you did on the vocals!

Great job.

Hi Lawrence. Thanks for the positives. Lots of tracks go into that vocal sound so it's good to get favourable comments.
Cheers, ROG.
© PG Music Forums