PG Music Home
Posted By: Robertkc Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/10/17 09:29 PM
Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine

A folk song about a clash of cultures in the Canadian arctic.
The intro & lyrics are lengthy so I`ll leave them over at SoundCloud.

Key=A , Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=4:50
4 bar intro, 101 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 105. Repeat x1 chorus
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _SORROW1.STY (Sorrow Folk w/ Mandolin)

RealTracks in style: 1765:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Fingerpicking Pop16ths Ev16 085
RealTracks in style: 2548:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkSorrow Ev16 090
Celtic whistle & percussion loops

Posted By: RichMac Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/10/17 10:17 PM
Hi Robert.
Enjoyed the imagery and storytelling.
Great title and 'five hundred miles from safety
belief shrinking to its bones' I can really relate to this phrase.
Cheers.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/11/17 12:49 AM
Great write,

I don't need to read the book now,

with all the detail that you deliver in your lyrics

it was like a movie in my head.

Enjoyed my listen

Kenny
Posted By: Scott C Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/11/17 10:33 AM
Wow the pipe was a very cool intro. Super vocal and lyric.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/11/17 12:12 PM
Robert,

This is excellent in every regard.

A truly strong write in classic folk song tradition. Stand out lines througout - the chorus in particular...

The production is perfect for the subject matter.

Really well done. I'd say your best...so far.

.floyd
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/11/17 12:33 PM
Hey Robert,

I really like this production a lot. Kind of Leonard Cohen in terms of overall sound and I say that with high compliments. Great job.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/11/17 06:39 PM
Hey Robertkc! Nice work on this! I really enjoyed the folky vibe to this. The flute is a very nice touch! Great job! smile
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/12/17 12:37 AM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Robert.
Enjoyed the imagery and storytelling.
Great title and 'five hundred miles from safety
belief shrinking to its bones' I can really relate to this phrase.
Cheers.

Hi RichMac,
Thanks for this - glad you found the story interesting. It seemed only fair to name the song after the book.

Robert

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Great write,

I don't need to read the book now,

with all the detail that you deliver in your lyrics

it was like a movie in my head.

Enjoyed my listen

Kenny

Kenny,
There`s a lot to the story I left out of course, ( grisly details) but I`m pleased the narrative holds together in song form.
Many thanks for your support!

Robert

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow the pipe was a very cool intro. Super vocal and lyric.

Thanks Scott,
I worked hard on blending the whistle loops... still not as good as a Real Track but it has the right feel.

Robert
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/12/17 02:19 AM
Hello, Robert

Great work!
As floyd said, a truly strong write in classic folk song tradition.
The whistle loops are very nice touch!
You are really a contemporary wandering minstrel.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/12/17 03:27 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert,

This is excellent in every regard.

A truly strong write in classic folk song tradition. Stand out lines througout - the chorus in particular...

The production is perfect for the subject matter.

Really well done. I'd say your best...so far.

.floyd

Floyd,
That`s very kind.
I was enjoying the story without any plan to write a song when the image of priests in black cassocks trekking though white wilderness jumped out.
I`m glad you thought the production worked as trying to get the native drum sound was a struggle.

Robert
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/12/17 06:40 PM
Fascinating!

"grey back mountains menace
like the hackles on a wolf"

What strong imagery to set things up. We love both mountains and wolves and, although menacing, it is sooo easy to envision this.

As floyd said "A truly strong write in classic folk song tradition. Stand out lines througout - the chorus in particular..." Indeed. We are history fans (of all eras) and the story is very powerful and to tell it in such a poetic manner...wow!

Your vocal has just the right element of weariness and/or sadness for the story and your choice and use of the backing tracks is perfect.

Really strong!!!

J&B
Posted By: rsdean Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/12/17 08:21 PM
Robert,

This song is outstanding... Everything about this works so well - love your delivery.

Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/13/17 02:16 AM
Hey Robert,

What a good write. I thought the instrumentation was very cool as well as the vocal.

Nice Job!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/13/17 09:29 AM
Such a well written lyrical storyline. Great story and you put it all together with great imagery. Great production and performance. Outstanding.

Charlie
Posted By: Yorkshireknight Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/13/17 09:39 AM
Wonderful lyrics /story and a great strong folky voice.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/13/17 05:46 PM
Robert, In the long tradition of folk songs, this one passes along a historical story. Nicely produced and sung. I enjoyed my listen. Tom
Posted By: Al-David Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/13/17 07:22 PM
Hello Robert,

Folk music is all about story and image. You captured both perfectly. That was a great story and we think you captured the essence of it very nicely. Great job all around!

Alan & Di
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/13/17 08:08 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Hey Robert,

I really like this production a lot. Kind of Leonard Cohen in terms of overall sound and I say that with high compliments. Great job.

David,

Thank you!
Not sure about the production, but I like to think Mr Cohen would approve of rhyming "heaven" with "weapon".

Robert

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hey Robertkc! Nice work on this! I really enjoyed the folky vibe to this. The flute is a very nice touch! Great job! smile

Joe,

Glad you enjoyed this. The celtic whistle is one of my favourite instruments...I`m gonna keep using these loops until there`s a Real Track!

Robert

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Robert

Great work!
As floyd said, a truly strong write in classic folk song tradition.
The whistle loops are very nice touch!
You are really a contemporary wandering minstrel.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

That`s much appreciated,Shigeki.
My wanderings are mostly on the back roads where I live now, but I do sing as go!

Robert
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/13/17 08:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Fascinating!

"grey back mountains menace
like the hackles on a wolf"

What strong imagery to set things up. We love both mountains and wolves and, although menacing, it is sooo easy to envision this.

As floyd said "A truly strong write in classic folk song tradition. Stand out lines througout - the chorus in particular..." Indeed. We are history fans (of all eras) and the story is very powerful and to tell it in such a poetic manner...wow!

Your vocal has just the right element of weariness and/or sadness for the story and your choice and use of the backing tracks is perfect.

Really strong!!!

J&B

J&B,
I have the snow covered mountains up here to thank for that opening line.
Good to find meet other history buffs - truth is so entertaining and I`ve about exhausted the local library`s supply of Arctic/Antarctic books in particular. I`m happy you felt I got the essence of this tale.

Robert

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Robert,

This song is outstanding... Everything about this works so well - love your delivery.

Excellent!

Bob

Bob,
I really enjoy the way the best folk singers deliver the goods and tried to get some of that raw sound into the vocal on this.
Thanks for your listen and comments.

Robert
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/13/17 10:34 PM
Really good work Robert, excellent writing and the backing was mesmerizing!! I also thought the pipe sound was a great choice. Thanks, Torrey.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/14/17 07:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Achordocaster
Hey Robert,

What a good write. I thought the instrumentation was very cool as well as the vocal.

Nice Job!

Thanks for your listen and positive comments!

Robert

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Such a well written lyrical storyline. Great story and you put it all together with great imagery. Great production and performance. Outstanding.

Charlie

Charlie,

This is the first time I`ve taken notes while reading a book - so a big nod to the author as the inspiration for turning the story into a song.
Glad you enjoyed!

Robert

Originally Posted By: Yorkshireknight
Wonderful lyrics /story and a great strong folky voice.

Thank you for listening and liking!

Robert
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/14/17 08:09 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Robert, In the long tradition of folk songs, this one passes along a historical story. Nicely produced and sung. I enjoyed my listen. Tom

Tom,
I appreciate this.After finishing the song I thought it too traditionally folk to post on the forum, forgetting what a diverse group of musical tastes are represented here every day.

Robert

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello Robert,

Folk music is all about story and image. You captured both perfectly. That was a great story and we think you captured the essence of it very nicely. Great job all around!

Alan & Di

Alan & Di,
Thank you!
There are so many unsung true stories...makes me wonder why I spend so much time writing fictional ones.

Robert

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Really good work Robert, excellent writing and the backing was mesmerizing!! I also thought the pipe sound was a great choice. Thanks, Torrey.

Many thanks, Torrey .
I couldn`t find actual Inuit percussion samples, but the Bhodran & Irish ankle bells at least got me close.

Robert
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/17/17 07:23 PM
Back for another listen. Janice said the imagery was so good that she had a movie going in her head and now wants to read the book. She also mentioned the jingly bells and how the reminded her of a sled, dogs, etc.

Amazing write.

J&B
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/18/17 02:57 PM
J&B,
Thanks for dropping by and listening again!
The book is well written - its also about the pursuit of the culprits across the arctic and strangely Canadian trial ( the priest`s killers became the object of great public interest and sympathy and though convicted, never went to prison).
Robert
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/18/17 03:12 PM
This immediately reminded me of John Prine.

Good job on this folk style.

Comments: I'd hold back on the flute during vocals. It's rather loud and distracts from the lyrics.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Bloody Falls Of The Coppermine - 03/19/17 01:55 PM
Thanks for the listen and comments.
I agree about the whistle levels and have dropped them back behind vocal parts.
Cheers,

Robert
© PG Music Forums