PG Music Home
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Every Time - 03/12/17 08:28 PM
Every Time
****** Song Summary *************
Key=D , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=3:48
Style is _THICKET.STY (Thicket Songwriter Country Pop)
plus the following RealTracks were added:
RealTracks in song: ~ 1877 Fiddle, Soloist CountryRob Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~2494:Piano, Acoustic, HeldChords 120
RealTracks in song: 1515:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 120

Lyrics

Every time I set and think about a girl driving country roads
That top down jeep is driven by you
Every time I make a wish for a bride and preacher man
The long white veil is worn by you
But I know my dream can’t come true
That I’m just wasting my time
‘Cause I know I’ll see you with him
And it will break this heart of mine
Every night I say my prayers for the girl with long brown hair
Praying that God’s watching over you
Every time I shed a tear girl has me crying in my beer
That tank top, daisy duke girl is you
And I’m just wasting my time
‘Cause I know I’ll see you kiss him
And that just eats at this heart of mine
Every time
(Instrumental Break)

I’m just wasting my time
‘Cause I know I’ll see you kiss him
And that just eats at this heart of mine
Every time
Posted By: RichMac Re: Every Time - 03/12/17 08:57 PM
Love it Charlie.
The backing the voice and the lyrics spot on prosody.
Tapping my toes. Cheers.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Every Time - 03/12/17 09:43 PM
Hi Charlie,

What a great backing! And you sound really comfortable singing against it. I enjoyed the listen. Why don't we hear more from you? You've definitely got a talent to share.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 03:31 AM
Great lyric writing Charlie.

The choice and blend of instruments has given the production substance and quality.

Enjoyed this from start to finish. Well put together and very well delivered.
Posted By: Skyline Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 06:04 AM
I enjoyed this Charlie; the lyrics conjured up pictures, which is not as easy as it might seem. Sincerely sung too, with just the right backing sounds.

John
Posted By: ROG Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 07:00 AM
Hi Charlie.

A great blend of traditional and contemporary country.

Super backing track and an excellent arrangement - particularly liked the solo

The lyrics are good and you sing it well.

Enjoyed it!

ROG.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 08:45 AM
Charlie,

This was excellent - enjoyed listening.

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 10:41 AM
Charlie,

Love the refrain "Every Time". Enjoyed this a lot.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 01:13 PM
Folks jumped on the accolades quickly and we agree.

The imagery is rich and textured and would make a great video.

And to steal from Noel "What a great backing! And you sound really comfortable singing against it. I enjoyed the listen. Why don't we hear more from you? You've definitely got a talent to share."

Indeed!

J&B
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 02:07 PM
Very enjoyable, Charlie.
A catchy chorus and just right instrumentation, but the highlight for me is your vocal. Your voice sounds really authentic ( I can`t think of a better word - in the way Jerry Garcia sounds so right on those Grateful Dead country tunes).

Robert
Posted By: Yorkshireknight Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 03:04 PM
You have a good voice Charlie and I think this style suits you well.
Reminded me a little bit of 'If I were a carpenter'in places
It certainly had my feet tapping..............every time.

Nice guitar and Lyrics

Paul
Posted By: Sundance Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 03:07 PM
Charlie,
This is a super write! My favorite song of yours yet. I enjoyed ev ver ry thing about it!! And your vocal and backing track iced the cake.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 03:07 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Love it Charlie.
The backing the voice and the lyrics spot on prosody.
Tapping my toes. Cheers.

Thanks for listening and commenting. I'm enjoying your new song too. Glad to see you back on the forum.

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Charlie,

What a great backing! And you sound really comfortable singing against it. I enjoyed the listen. Why don't we hear more from you? You've definitely got a talent to share.

All the best,
Noel

Thanks Noel. I appreciate your kind comments.

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Great lyric writing Charlie.

The choice and blend of instruments has given the production substance and quality.

Enjoyed this from start to finish. Well put together and very well delivered.

Thanks Trevor. I'm glad you enjoyed your listen.

Originally Posted By: Skyline
I enjoyed this Charlie; the lyrics conjured up pictures, which is not as easy as it might seem. Sincerely sung too, with just the right backing sounds.

John

Thanks. I'm glad you stopped by for a listen.

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Charlie.

A great blend of traditional and contemporary country.

Super backing track and an excellent arrangement - particularly liked the solo

The lyrics are good and you sing it well.

Enjoyed it!

ROG.

Thanks Rog. Yes, that particular solo sounded to me how I would have approached the solo if I could actually do one. Thanks for listening.

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Charlie,

This was excellent - enjoyed listening.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 04:36 PM
Charlie,

You've put some very fine Instrumental fills in the backing track which altogether make a perfect blend with your voice. A refreshing country song with one of your best vocals we think.

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 04:55 PM
I was trying to think of a way to say this, so PLEASE hear me out. I know this song was well written because I felt sorry for YOU!

I literally thought to myself "How awful to have that happen to such a great guy!"

Then I remembered this was just a song!

*If this is from personal experience, just let me believe it's "just a song" wink

Great job!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 05:41 PM
Hi Charlie,

We loved it! Although it's traditional country, it still hass an element of a more contemporary song. That's a good combination, in our opinion. As has been said previously ... great backing tracks! Superb in every way! Wish we heard from you more often!

Alan & Di
Posted By: tommyad Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 05:42 PM
Charlie, This is without a doubt your best vocal. Very comfortable and confident. A good write that is very well produced. Nice going. Tom
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 08:50 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Charlie,

Love the refrain "Every Time". Enjoyed this a lot.

Regards,

Bob

I got the refrain idea from a Ralph Murphy lecture on YouTube. Repeat the title within the first 60 seconds and average at least 7 repeats. Glad you enjoyed your listen.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Folks jumped on the accolades quickly and we agree.

The imagery is rich and textured and would make a great video.

And to steal from Noel "What a great backing! And you sound really comfortable singing against it. I enjoyed the listen. Why don't we hear more from you? You've definitely got a talent to share."

Indeed!

J&B

Thanks for listening and the kind comments. I thought the imagery would be good for a video too but I'm not so sure that doing a video is a sharable talent I have.

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Very enjoyable, Charlie.
A catchy chorus and just right instrumentation, but the highlight for me is your vocal. Your voice sounds really authentic ( I can`t think of a better word - in the way Jerry Garcia sounds so right on those Grateful Dead country tunes).

Robert

Thanks for the nice comments and GD comparison. That's quite a compliment.

Originally Posted By: Yorkshireknight
You have a good voice Charlie and I think this style suits you well.
Reminded me a little bit of 'If I were a carpenter'in places
It certainly had my feet tapping..............every time.

Nice guitar and Lyrics

Paul

Thanks Paul. I appreciate you taking time to listen and comment. Glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Charlie,
This is a super write! My favorite song of yours yet. I enjoyed ev ver ry thing about it!! And your vocal and backing track iced the cake.

Thanks Josie. I always look forward to your opinion and you've got me pretty stoked this time with such nice comments.

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Charlie,

You've put some very fine Instrumental fills in the backing track which altogether make a perfect blend with your voice. A refreshing country song with one of your best vocals we think.

Rob & Anne-Marie

Band in a Box is the greatest gift I can think of to guide me through my retirement years. I'm so very thankful to have gotten on this train. I appreciate you taking time to listen and comment.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 09:49 PM
Charlie... this is good. Reminds me of PPL and that's a good thing.

Nice work. Good job on the song and the vocals.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 10:24 PM
Everything sounds really good Charlie! Such an smooth flowing backing track with a great vocal! Thanks,Torrey
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 11:17 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
I was trying to think of a way to say this, so PLEASE hear me out. I know this song was well written because I felt sorry for YOU!

I literally thought to myself "How awful to have that happen to such a great guy!"

Then I remembered this was just a song!

*If this is from personal experience, just let me believe it's "just a song" wink

Great job!

LOL, no way I'll ever 'fess up to personal experience or not - To be clear, you can say these kind of things any way you choose and I'll gladly hear you out...

I appreciate your thoughtful comments.

Charlie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Every Time - 03/13/17 11:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Charlie,

We loved it! Although it's traditional country, it still has an element of a more contemporary song. That's a good combination, in our opinion. As has been said previously ... great backing tracks! Superb in every way! Wish we heard from you more often!

Alan & Di

So glad to see you guys hanging around with us here on the forum again and thanks for taking time to take this one for a spin.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Charlie, This is without a doubt your best vocal. Very comfortable and confident. A good write that is very well produced. Nice going. Tom

Thanks Tom. Glad to see you're feeling better. I appreciate your comments.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Charlie... this is good. Reminds me of PPL and that's a good thing.

Nice work. Good job on the song and the vocals.

Thanks for the PPL comparison. They were the bar I set for myself very early in my songwriting. Just being close feels good.

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Everything sounds really good Charlie! Such an smooth flowing backing track with a great vocal! Thanks,Torrey

Torrey, thanks for listening.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Every Time - 03/14/17 04:13 AM
Hello, Charlie

You have a very good voice.
The chord progression is unique and new.
This is a contemporary Country.
As Noel said, you sound really comfortable singing against the great backing track.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: PeterF Re: Every Time - 03/14/17 06:21 AM
Charlie,
You put together a nice band to back you on this excellent song.
Some really nice musical moments and very well performed.

Peter
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Every Time - 03/14/17 09:26 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Charlie

You have a very good voice.
The chord progression is unique and new.
This is a contemporary Country.
As Noel said, you sound really comfortable singing against the great backing track.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks for your gracious comments. I've always liked how that chord progression flows on uptempo songs. It doesn't work so well in ballads I think.

Regarding my vocals, I ended up using an old Nady RM-2 Ribbon mic and it seemed to have a better tone than the first mic I used that made my voice sound thin. Must have helped a bit this time.

Thanks for listening and taking time to comment.
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Charlie,
You put together a nice band to back you on this excellent song.
Some really nice musical moments and very well performed.

Peter

Thanks Peter. This was a fun project. It all came together rather quickly.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Every Time - 03/14/17 03:54 PM
Charlie,

This is a terrific listen. A solid country rock write with nice imagery and emotion (sad as it might be). (Ralph has a way of "hitting the nail on the head" in his concepts - and a sweetheart of a guy). The repeat of "every time" works really well (every time!).

A really nice collection of instruments - all used at appropriate times - for a full, smooth sound. Excellent mix. There are elements of a "modern sound", but overall, for me, harkens back to the best of the beginnings of country rock - Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco, Graham Parsons, early Eagles...

As others have noted, your vocal on this is excellent... really "in the pocket" for the sound...

Nice.

floyd
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Every Time - 03/14/17 09:56 PM
Great song Charlie!! This is so easy to listen to. Very engaging lyric, and such a pleasant, slightly retro vibe (little Grateful Dead). Your vocal is so nice. I'm conflicted about the stops (maybe too many in succession) but everything else absolutely knocks me out. Awesome!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Every Time - 03/14/17 10:38 PM
The song has been around awhile but you've really put some energy into the performance and made the song sound new to me. Personally I think this is your best performance to date.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Every Time - 03/15/17 08:49 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Charlie,

This is a terrific listen. A solid country rock write with nice imagery and emotion (sad as it might be). (Ralph has a way of "hitting the nail on the head" in his concepts - and a sweetheart of a guy). The repeat of "every time" works really well (every time!).

A really nice collection of instruments - all used at appropriate times - for a full, smooth sound. Excellent mix. There are elements of a "modern sound", but overall, for me, harkens back to the best of the beginnings of country rock - Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco, Graham Parsons, early Eagles...

As others have noted, your vocal on this is excellent... really "in the pocket" for the sound...

Nice.

floyd

Thanks for listening Floyd. Yea, I spent some time watching Mr. Ralph's YouTube lecture. It seems he takes the #1 hits from Pop and Country each year and analyzes them to determine what common elements they share. It was really worth the time. This song encompassed several of his 'sure hit' elements so I thought I'd float it out on the forum. I'm blaming my ribbon mic for my vocals having tone this time....

And for "in the pocket", I'm pleased that you and several others have picked up the vibe this song falls into the Country Rock genre. It's my favorite place to be.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Great song Charlie!! This is so easy to listen to. Very engaging lyric, and such a pleasant, slightly retro vibe (little Grateful Dead). Your vocal is so nice. I'm conflicted about the stops (maybe too many in succession) but everything else absolutely knocks me out. Awesome!! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg. Thanks for listening and taken time to comment. The stops were one area of the song I wasn't completely satisfied with in the end. I would have preferred that each would be a bit more abrupt and have more pop to them. I didn't spend a lot of time trying to correct that, but the time I did spend never yielded any satisfaction. The succession of five was the best sounding out of all that I tried. I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of the song. I always appreciate your analysis and suggestions.

Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
The song has been around awhile but you've really put some energy into the performance and made the song sound new to me. Personally I think this is your best performance to date.

Thanks Jim. This is a personal favorite of mine as well. Maybe it caused me to put a bit more into my performance. I've always liked the song but felt it could be improved on, especially the lyrics. The Ralph Murphy video helped motivate the lyrics rewrite. Glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Every Time - 03/15/17 03:10 PM
Love the feel of this one,

backing tracks sound really good

good write, nice flow

Enjoyed my listen Charlie

Kenny
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Every Time - 03/15/17 08:53 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Love the feel of this one,

backing tracks sound really good

good write, nice flow

Enjoyed my listen Charlie

Kenny

I'm glad you enjoyed it Kenny. Thanks for stopping by.

Charlie
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Every Time - 03/17/17 03:09 PM
Really great song Charlie.

Excellent country vibe, great lyrics. This is one my favorites of yours.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Every Time - 03/17/17 09:18 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Really great song Charlie.

Excellent country vibe, great lyrics. This is one my favorites of yours.

Thanks David. Glad you stopped by. Try to keep Little Jimmie Waits on track and don't let him wander too close to the bus station or he'll be moving on.

Charlie
Posted By: Scott C Re: Every Time - 03/20/17 11:16 AM
Excellent tune Charlie. Vocal was super. Loved the violin.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Every Time - 03/20/17 06:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Excellent tune Charlie. Vocal was super. Loved the violin.

Thanks Scott. I appreciate the comments.
Posted By: bluage Re: Every Time - 03/26/17 06:46 PM
Hi, there, "Charlie Fogle"...

I think the term "country" in "country music" is a misnomer. Let's put the word "truth" in front of the word "music", and then we'll be closer to describing what we're getting when we listen to it...

Mr. Fogle, from the opening verse of "Every Time" and all the way through to the end, a series of images connected to some universally experienced feelings rolls right on by our ears like a big, battered and road-dusted rig carrying a heavy cargo of painful memories. And if I didn't know the song was a product of BIAB, I'd ask you who your "sidemen" were. Your chord changes reflect the bitter taste of your lyrics.

Your singing voice has that quality of long-accepted sadness that sounds quite authentic to me, which makes it all the more easier to understand why forum member “HearToLearn” commented:

“I literally thought to myself, ‘How awful to have that happen to such a great guy! Then I remembered this was just a song!”

I’m hearin’ him loud n’ clear! “Every Time” is like a monologue of wistful recollections set to music.

I’d put another quarter in that jukebox, anytime…

LOREN (a.k.a. “bluage”)
Posted By: dani48 Re: Every Time - 03/26/17 06:53 PM
Hi, Charlie !:))

Like this tune and the
way you treat it !:))
Great Country with a
big C

Can see you performing this
at some Honky Tonk with
all people dancing !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Every Time - 03/26/17 07:39 PM
Great, Charlie! This is easily my favorite of yours. Love the backing, and your vocals fit it well. Good job on the lyrics as well. Really enjoyed it!

Steve
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Every Time - 03/27/17 09:36 AM
Originally Posted By: bluage
Hi, there, "Charlie Fogle"...

I think the term "country" in "country music" is a misnomer. Let's put the word "truth" in front of the word "music", and then we'll be closer to describing what we're getting when we listen to it...

Mr. Fogle, from the opening verse of "Every Time" and all the way through to the end, a series of images connected to some universally experienced feelings rolls right on by our ears like a big, battered and road-dusted rig carrying a heavy cargo of painful memories. And if I didn't know the song was a product of BIAB, I'd ask you who your "sidemen" were. Your chord changes reflect the bitter taste of your lyrics.

Your singing voice has that quality of long-accepted sadness that sounds quite authentic to me, which makes it all the more easier to understand why forum member “HearToLearn” commented:

“I literally thought to myself, ‘How awful to have that happen to such a great guy! Then I remembered this was just a song!”

I’m hearin’ him loud n’ clear! “Every Time” is like a monologue of wistful recollections set to music.

I’d put another quarter in that jukebox, anytime…

LOREN (a.k.a. “bluage”)

Loren, thank you for such a gratifying and encouraging post. I can't think of anything that can put a bigger smile on my face today than your comments. I truly appreciate it.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Charlie !:))

Like this tune and the
way you treat it !:))
Great Country with a
big C

Can see you performing this
at some Honky Tonk with
all people dancing !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks Dani. I'd just hope that honky tonk is beach front somewhere so you can come join us when you're done surfing...

Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Great, Charlie! This is easily my favorite of yours. Love the backing, and your vocals fit it well. Good job on the lyrics as well. Really enjoyed it!

Steve

Thanks for stopping by for a listen and taking time to comment. Glad you enjoyed it.

Charlie
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Every Time - 03/27/17 09:48 AM
Love this one! Nice vocal, and the "every time" refrain is very effective. Enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Every Time - 03/27/17 08:31 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Love this one! Nice vocal, and the "every time" refrain is very effective. Enjoyed the listen!

Thanks for listening and the kind comments.

Charlie
Posted By: gruverider Re: Every Time - 03/28/17 06:36 PM
Super arrangement! Well written and performed.

much enjoyed!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Every Time - 03/29/17 08:43 AM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Super arrangement! Well written and performed.

much enjoyed!

I appreciate your kind comments. Glad you enjoyed it.

Charlie
Posted By: Jim Re: Every Time - 11/23/19 12:13 AM
I just had to find another of your songs...
Nice job on this one also!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Every Time - 11/29/19 12:01 PM
Nicely done - really vivid lyricism, and the tune flows tremendously well. It has a great groove and some memorable progressions, and the vocals on this are top notch.

Great work and thanks for sharing!
© PG Music Forums